A dose of realism

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We lack the fight, it's a basic thing for us, but it looks like hecky is so scared we aren't even thinking of attacking and still getting pasted.

He's gotta go, he's getting in the ring without any gloves on, and that's on him.
I think any sensible blade knew that we would struggle. To compete in this league we needed to hang on to our best players, get lucky with a few risky signings and stay clear of injuries. Sadly, we have failed at all three and already looked doomed. However, that doesn't excuse the absolute lack of fight shown by the majority of these players. Once the first goal went in yesterday, it was game over. Robinson has been our best player this year, simply by virtue of being totally committed, despite being up against more talented opponents every game. Luton came up with a far worse squad than we had, but at least they are showing some fight. In ten games this season we have played well for a half against Man Utd and Everton. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing. Even Carl Asaba was criticising us yesterday for our lack of fight and desire. Yes, that Carl Asaba.

For all of those out there that think we can compete with the
Arsenal/ Manure/Citee/Spurs etc
You are deluding yourselves
We may every now & then beat them , but as a club , finances and ability to entice world class players will never let that happen.
Wilder was on the path to breaking that mould, but finances kicked in.

Until FFP is properly adhered to , and VAR IS run by competent people sticking to the rule of ‘ clear & obvious error’ without favouring the top clubs, we will at best be bottom to middle of premier.

Losing to manure/Citee/Arsenal/Spurs etc is to be expected, with hopefully the odd win or draw, however.
Beating Luton/Burnley/Wolves/Bournemouth etc should be well within our grasp.

Realistically I’m still hopeful we can finish above17th or above, but going down (if that does happen) will leave us with a great squad to build upon, and like Burnley bounce back
UTB
Great squad,really?

I have been firmly in the 'keep Hecky' camp on the basis that he got us up and earned a crack at the PL. He's also a fantastic fella.

I didn't expect this season to be easy, we simply can't compete with the vast majority of clubs in terms of spending and infrastructure. We all know that.

What I did expect however is that we at least try to compete and give a proper account of ourselves in games. The first few games, we seemed to do that and despite losing, we weren't disgraced or embarrassed.

Since Newcastle however, we've been frankly pathetic. Hecky is setting us up to try and avoid losing, rather than trying to win games. The result has been predictably awful.

The players seem terrified and Hecky doesn't seem to know how to change things. For that reason, I think we've got to have a change in coaching. In all probability we'll still go down but we might go down fighting rather than with a whimper and the record of the most spineless PL team ever.

Oh great, another thread about fans saying things that they never said. Only a select few said we'd stay up this season, and a lot of them were saying that Osula looked Premier League ready after pre-season despite scoring no goals and looking average at best. Those same fans celebrated our summer signings saying that we were now better and stronger than last season and that we wouldn't miss Berge or Ndiaye as a result. But hey, the imaginary fans saying things that they didn't say are the deluded ones!
How could we possibly miss Berg, he was pants. Now he's left has he suddenly become a massive loss and Micheal Brown type player? He performed approx 1 game in 5! And don't start me on his heading ability!

We've had realism rammed down our throats every week since the season started. We don't need another dose.

What we need is some hope. Fuck knows where we find it though. I for one am not convinced that hope is Wilder coming back.

How could we possibly miss Berg, he was pants. Now he's left has he suddenly become a massive loss and Micheal Brown type player? He performed approx 1 game in 5! And don't start me on his heading ability!
I'm not saying that. I never rated Berge. He was a luxury that we didn't need who didn't fit the system we played. He'd look amazing one game, then the next you'd be asking if he was even on the pitch. Such an inconsistent one and someone who in 15 years I'll look back and say, oh yeah, I forgot he played for us. I rate Paul Coutts above Sander Berge in terms of overall contribution.

Our Sheff United team from 22 that finished on 23 points were competitive under Wilder, we have loads of close evenly contested games
but went though a phase of losing 1-0 every week, the problem was we simply couldn't score, we only scored 20 goal in 39 matches.

This is an unbelievable rewrite of history. We were not competitive. We had to fight like beavers in defence every game because if the opposition scored, that was it, Game over. That's not competitive.

Just watched yesterdays game back…we have nobody and nothing to blame other than ourselves IMO….piss poor defending, offered nothing going forward, tactically rubbish, no fight, no passion….until the basics I’ve just mentioned are improved, nothing will change..
I admire your resolve or are you just a sadist? I’d sooner watch Sophie’s choice and Schindler’s list back to back sitting outside hillsborough.

1 in 6 if you included injuries.

This is an unbelievable rewrite of history. We were not competitive. We had to fight like beavers in defence every game because if the opposition scored, that was it, Game over. That's not competitive.
We have now lost 41 of our last 51 premier League games that is definitely not competitive, if we stick with the current manager we will break every record going , most defeats, fewest goals scored, most conceded, fewest points ,

We have now lost 41 of our last 51 premier League games that is definitely not competitive, if we stick with the current manager we will break every record going , most defeats, fewest goals scored, most conceded, fewest points ,
At least we would win summat and lets face it, it be very hard for anyone to beat it.

We may every now & then beat them , but as a club , finances and ability to entice world class players will never let that happen.

Until FFP is properly adhered to , and VAR IS run by competent people sticking to the rule of ‘ clear & obvious error’ without favouring the top clubs, we will at best be bottom to middle of premier.

Losing to manure/Citee/Arsenal/Spurs etc is to be expected, with hopefully the odd win or draw, however.

Realistically I’m still hopeful we can finish above17th or above, but going down (if that does happen) will leave us with a great squad to build upon, and like Burnley bounce back
UTB
Were not capable of competing with any team in this league currently, something needs to happen, and fast, or we could easily go all season without a win!

UTB
I keep seeing comments about beating Burnley, Luton and Bournemouth and that's our points on the board but that's only 18 points INCLUDING beating them away. Am I missing something here? We still need another 20 points from somewhere even if we did the miracle 6 wins.

To stay in the PL you have to still pick up points against better teams. First season in prem under CW we got 13 points outta the famous top 6.

They are not putting up a fight and that is unacceptable. I don't mind losing but going out with a whimper at Arsenal. for fuck sake put some effort in.

I say we'd have more fight about us if we played some of the young kids. Let's be honest some of the senior pro's some are pinning their hopes on were done at this level the last time we were relegated. They didn't pull any trees up in the Championship last season our form improved when Berge, McAtee and Doyle became the preferred midfield but here we are this season bringing on Fleck, Norwood Osborn to fill the gaps they should be nowhere near a Premier League team we know it and they probably do too. Says a lot when the limited JLT is our best defender at the moment, Egan's form has dropped alarmingly is he really up to this standard? Anel too is badly out of form, one who I thought would make the step up we are still waiting, Trusty much like Anel looks promising but he really had a shocker at Arsenal. I'm not even mentioning the wing backs. I'm not convinced any of the new signings will be good enough and do we have a fully fit striker on the books? I doubt even Pep could make a team from this shower. The chickens are coming home to roost lack of investment in the team post Brewster really is starting to hit home and with the contract situations of a lot of players it will get worse before it gets better unless the Prince suddenly finds a buyer with deep pockets.

Very strange post, I don't think 99% of our fan base expected us to compete with the majority of the EPL....we can all have hope but we were always in a mini league with the likes of Burnley, Luton and a couple of others.

What we did/do expect though is effort, strong leadership and desire....all of which are sadly missing at the moment which is why a change of manager/direction is urgently required
Nailed it fella, Luton are everything we’re not at the moment.

Sick of hearing about this 6 team mini league. Win all of those games and we have 18 points, and we've already drawn one of them. We do have to threaten teams outside this "mini league".

We're getting battered, without so much as swinging back, every week. And not one idea on how that will change, from management or from what I've seen on the pitch.

Starting to wonder which side of the fan base needs the dose of realism.

Oh give it a rest. We all know that you’ve learned a new statistic. No need to keep repeating it ad nauseum.

Back
Top Bottom