£3m contract for Ched

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That's what he's paying us to take him back...

I love the quote from Pete Whitney, Pete's a top Blade, but I doubt he is in charge of contract negotiations for the club, let alone the supporters club now.

Wish all this Evans stuff would go away.

Unfortunately this is going to build into a crescendo by July time when he is available on day release. I think you're going to have to build in an Evans filter.

What makes it interesting to me is Clough's words this week that he didn't offer Miller new terms as people had to be flying going into the new season. I would imagine it's going to take Ched till January and a lot close door friendlies and u21 games to get anywhere near the team.

I just can't imagine Clough allowing a good part of his budget on something like this.

For once, can people look at this from Ched's perspective? Every player is expected to excel most of the time. In Ched's case it will be unbeleivable. It could be the making of him (and United). On the other hand, given the pressure, it could destroy him.

Unfortunately this is going to build into a crescendo by July time when he is available on day release. I think you're going to have to build in an Evans filter.

What makes it interesting to me is Clough's words this week that he didn't offer Miller new terms as people had to be flying going into the new season. I would imagine it's going to take Ched till January and a lot close door friendlies and u21 games to get anywhere near the team.

I just can't imagine Clough allowing a good part of his budget on something like this.

The article from this morning though is laughable! As if we're going to be playing someone who's not played for 2 1/2 years £18k a week! Imagine the reaction from the rest of the squad!

As I said in the shout box, I can't decide if I'm for or against him playing for us again. The main reason for me is that I don't want the media circus around the club...we don't need it.

I very much doubt that someone who has been imprisoned for rape is in a position of strength when contract negotiations begin. I doubt even more that Utds starting point would be anywhere near £18k a week. The whole article is ridiculous, I can just imagine Cloughie and McCabe making regular visits to see him in prison 'Lean forward and touch your toes lads, you know the drill by now'

I can't decide if I'm for or against him playing for us again. The main reason for me is that I don't want the media circus around the club...we don't need it.

I have been trying to find the words to describe how I feel about the Ched situation and you have got it spot on about us not needing the media circus around the club

I have been trying to find the words to describe how I feel about the Ched situation and you have got it spot on about us not needing the media circus around the club
Why not ? It will take the pressure off the other players.

Why not ? It will take the pressure off the other players.
I would think it would put more pressure on our other players and reporters would be asking them questions too such as "how do you feel about playing in the same team as Ched?"

I would think it would put more pressure on our other players and reporters would be asking them questions too such as "how do you feel about playing in the same team as Ched?"
I'd say: 'It reminds me of my favourite Viz Letterbocks item ever':

""Feminists say all men are potential rapists - well I'm not.

I'm a CONVICTED one!

All the best.

Barry Pervert
B Wing
Belmarsh"

Jim Phipps on twitter on the story:
"The piece is riddled with errors and untruths."
"The club has made no such statement. The story in The Mirror is just that: a story."
"There is nothing to say. Ched is a former employee. He's not with the club. He is involved in a legal process. We have no role."
"Our close season is about building for next season, not responding to idle speculation."

Jim Phipps on twitter on the story:
"The piece is riddled with errors and untruths."
"The club has made no such statement. The story in The Mirror is just that: a story."
"There is nothing to say. Ched is a former employee. He's not with the club. He is involved in a legal process. We have no role."
"Our close season is about building for next season, not responding to idle speculation."

I like the responses so far but I would love the club to come out and be explicit about their lack of intention to sign him. I don't want him at the club now; he's the past and we should look forwards not backwards. I can't see Clough looking too sympathetically on signing a rapist.

I like the responses so far but I would love the club to come out and be explicit about their lack of intention to sign him. I don't want him at the club now; he's the past and we should look forwards not backwards. I can't see Clough looking too sympathetically on signing a rapist.

I can completely understand the club not wanting to respond to every rumour on this story, but I don't think the club has been particularly effective in dampening down the story. That said, the quoted source in this piece seems a rehashed version of the quote in the article pre cup semi final, so I'm not sure if there is actually anything genuinely new here. But while the club doesn't provide any conclusive line on this, rumours are bound to continue, and bound to be presented in a way that isn't great for the club. I'm assuming the club has banned any mention of the subject in interviews with Clough, which is why Radio Sheffield or James Shield have never reported on whether he is being actively considered for re-signing. Into that void, speculation will cling to anyone willing to offer up a story, true or not.

Given everything Clough has said about having everyone ready in pre-season so we can start the season strongly, combined with the importance he's highlighted on the atmosphere at the club, I cannot imagine Clough would be willing to add the sort of uncertainty and baggage that signing Evans would result in.

Back
Top Bottom