When will football come back?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When do you think football will be back in this country

• May

Votes: 51 13.1%
  • June

Votes: 87 22.3%
  • July

Votes: 54 13.8%
  • August

Votes: 58 14.9%
  • September

Votes: 48 12.3%
  • October or later..

Votes: 92 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry's Game

Reaction score
Bored already when can you see Football returning .. ?

April. Behind closed doors.

Not a chance in my opinion

If we see any football before August (behind closed doors or not) I would be surprised

It might be even longer

If we see a Blades game before September in person I would be pleasantly surprised

Sadly, Sport/Football does not matter and will be the last thing to get going again - with everything else closing, schools set to go and then social lockdown, Sport is rightly down near the bottom of priorities.

Based on personal opinion derived from the deterioration of the national situation... I can only see this season being ended without further matches being played.

I sincerely hope I am wrong.

I just dont get why they havent just tested every player. Isolate the ones that are positive, let the others play behind closed doors. Surely one team isnt going to have half the squad out.

Not a chance in my opinion

If we see any football before August (behind closed doors or not) I would be surprised

It might be even longer

If we see a Blades game before September in person I would be pleasantly surprised

Sadly, Sport/Football does not matter and will be the last thing to get going again - with everything else closing, schools set to go and then social lockdown, Sport is rightly down near the bottom of priorities.

I don't see why it can't be behind closed doors, it would give the country a much needed moral boost if they showed a couple of behind closed doors Premier League matches on TV every night.

Players might catch Coronavirus, but the match can just be called off if it's half the team out.

I just dont get why they havent just tested every player. Isolate the ones that are positive, let the others play behind closed doors. Surely one team isnt going to have half the squad out.
this might be the solution, mandatory testing and monitored isolation from the minute of testing (lets say a pre-match 24h stay at a nice isolation unit with the rest of the team), could the EPL fashion temporary bases for each team in close vicinity/inside each football ground? We would be in a great position with the Copthorne for this

Teams make an agreement whether to postpone or continue if they have significant number of 1st team players out upon COVID testing, continue the season until it gets done, one way or another

Last edited:
As Deadbat has said Sport is rightly near the bottom of priorities. That includes provision for testing.

Logic based on evidence provided to date is that football won't start again until August but don't underestimate UEFA/FIFA's ability to come up with a clusterfuck that is based purely on finances and not health.

this might be the solution, mandatory testing and monitored isolation from the minute of testing (lets say a pre-match 24h stay at a nice isolation unit with the rest of the team), could the EPL fashion temporary bases for each team in close vicinity/inside each football ground? We would be in a great position with the Copthorne for this

Teams make an agreement whether to postpone or continue if they have significant number of 1st team players out upon COVID testing, continue the season until it gets down one way or another

Testing for footballers and the resources just to get a game on behind closed doors is just not important. If we have any tests these should be for those that need them.

I’m thinking it’ll just resume at this time next year, and continue as it would have. Possibly clear games in hand just before March behind closed doors.

Anything after June will have huge consequences due to sky payments. If it’s not close to being finished I don’t see them making the payments or asking for a reduction in amount.

If the strategy is to “Suppress until a vaccine is available” it could be up to a year before mass attendance events come back.

We could see something behind closed doors before then but I’d be surprised if that is before the Autumn.

April or May. I hope. Even if it has to be behind closed doors.

The thought of 6 months+ without football and sport is utterly ridiculous and it would make us all realise just how important it is, and be grateful for it.

There is no way any football is going to be played until Aug/Sept at least and as others have said maybe not till next year.
The best cased scenario is some behind closed doors stuff around that time but there wont be any attended gsmes for a very long time (could be over a year) in my opinion.

I would be gutted not to have any football for 6 months+ but sadly it just aint important. We are in the first stage of a long process that could last up to 18 months.

If the strategy is to “Suppress until a vaccine is available”

Though the flu virus vaccine is only 20/50 % effective some years.

I read a doctors report from China last night where some poor individual has both the flu type A virus and Covid-19, interestingly the first 3 tests for Covid-19 came back negative.

Worrying times.

Stay safe.

There is no way any football is going to be played until Aug/Sept at least and as others have said maybe not till next year.
The best cased scenario is some behind closed doors stuff around that time but there wont be any attended gsmes for a very long time (could be over a year) in my opinion.

I would be gutted not to have any football for 6 months+ but sadly it just aint important. We are in the first stage of a long process that could last up to 18 months.

Its going to be a disaster for professional sport, dozens of EFL clubs will go to the wall as will many Cricket Clubs and Rugby Union clubs, Rugby League Will probably cease to exist in this country.

Even the Premier League may not be immune if the TV companies pull the plug.

Testing for footballers and the resources just to get a game on behind closed doors is just not important. If we have any tests these should be for those that need them.
I think the problem is that we have tests available globally, but govt policy is to not use them for suspect covid patients, a good example of this is South Korea who have tested 222,000 people.

It’s not the limited amount of tests which is the problem, it is the limited resources the govt have to do testing which is the issue, something which i would imagine the epl have in abundance.

it would take around 5,000 tests to get every epl football player tested for every remaining match, if the epl have the funding, and they pay for production of the tests (plus give surplus to the wider population), then why not?

Their are already a number of companies who’ve developed quick covid tests, but they are not being bought by the nhs yet.

Last edited:

Then that’s the season void, no way the current season will extend until August/September.

Why would the leagues commit to a 30th June deadline if they could continue to extend into July onwards?

I dont see how it can be completed much before next year. All players, even behind closed doors will still risk their respiratory systems either during the game, at a later stage or passing to others. It has too be well clear before considering a resumption.

I dont see how it can be completed much before next year. All players, even behind closed doors will still risk their respiratory systems either during the game, at a later stage or passing to others. It has too be well clear before considering a resumption.

Where has this come from that young, fit athletes will be risking any long term damage to their respiratory systems?

The United players are back training, do you think the medical staff would allow that if there was a risk to the player’s respiratory systems long term?

Thats an aspiration, I think that makes it more likely that it will be voided If they don’t finish by that date.. which they won’t.

I can see the Premier League allowing Liverpool to crowned Champions just to avoid the inevitable 30 year whingeathon if they don’t, depends then what sort of legal cases the likes of Leeds and West Brom try to bring.. I suspect the Premier League can afford the better lawyers.

Last edited:
I went for July.

For whatever reason, I can't see any sort of lockdown carrying on past end of May. Which gives teams a month to get training and get ready with proper precautions in place.

I went for July.

For whatever reason, I can't see any sort of lockdown carrying on past end of May. Which gives teams a month to get training and get ready with proper precautions in place.

lockdown over by the end of May.. possibly but only if the country has become so bored it’s willing to accept 80 year olds dying by the hundred each day just to get the rest of life back under way.

Knowing this country it may well be willing to accept that.

Back
Top Bottom