When will football come back?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When do you think football will be back in this country

• May

Votes: 51 13.1%
  • June

Votes: 87 22.3%
  • July

Votes: 54 13.8%
  • August

Votes: 58 14.9%
  • September

Votes: 48 12.3%
  • October or later..

Votes: 92 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Though the flu virus vaccine is only 20/50 % effective some years.

I read a doctors report from China last night where some poor individual has both the flu type A virus and Covid-19, interestingly the first 3 tests for Covid-19 came back negative.

Worrying times.

Stay safe.

The vaccine thing is not really the issue in terms of re-starting the football season. That’s probably 18 months away at least.

In any case, vaccines are mainly used to prevent the spread or severity of a disease by building up immunity. They are not “cures” as such. They can be used (in some cases) as “treatments”. Take “Tamiflu” for example (oseltamivir) which was used to treat swine flu. However, it is only effective if given within the first 48 hours of contracting the virus. After that there is no strong evidence to suggest it is effective.

Football will resume when the figures show that the number of new cases reported have fallen to low or near zero numbers. Based on what we are seeing so far in other countries, (as a very rough guide) that looks about 2 months away.

I said a re-start of this season same time next year and I was laughed at but even that may be tough.

Until there is a vaccine this thing will go on for 18 months at least. The really serious social isolation will really kick in April to July I think...maybe longer.

There is no way as a fan we are seeing a ball kicked in a stadium for at least a year as much as that is inconceivable to some.

I hope I am wrong.
You are wrong mate

As soon as fuckin possible I hope, I’m self employed and live tv sport pays my Mortgage 😷😭

You are wrong mate

Why do you think I am wrong? There is no way the govt will allow for any essential services (every behind closed doors game will need an ambulance for injuries, some police to stop people congregating etc) to be wasted at a non essential event. Rightly so.

As I say at best we may see some behind closed doors in Aug-Sept-Oct but the full country will be on almost full lockdown from April to June at least I feel from the projections. Sport will be even further down the pecking order than now in that period.

Look at Italy , it’s over for a long time . This is going to take years to get over , and some won’t be around to see it if it does start again !
People don’t realize this is a life changing event , no one is moving in China , do u know why ? Because if they do it will all start again , until we have found a vaccine (1 and half to 2 years) we’re doing nowt

Vaccine testing is currently under way 0CE52F7C-2392-45AB-B923-499E5EBE21EB.png

No football for 6 months or behind closed doors football? I know which the majority of football fans will choose.

What about the moral and mental health of the nation? We can’t go to pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc. no sport is on the TV. People can only watch Netflix for so long!

This isn’t China, the novelty of isolating will soon wear off, how long before people start thinking “fuck it, I’m going out anyway”?
When the army are setting up check points, they ain't going out anywhere.

EastEnders suspending filming and only on twice a week instead of the 5 or 6 or whatever it is. They have months already filmed and are cutting broadcasting so there is many more months to air. Anyone who thinks football is coming back any time soon needs to have a quick look at what is actually being put in place
I stopped watching Eastenders, Emmerdale and Coronation Street when they went from 2 to 5 episodes a week. Haven't ever watched them since except for the bits you get when you record a programme after them. Continual angst, anger and repeating story lines across the three put me off (and is still doing so when I see those few minutes) so even down to 2 episodes I will never watch them, ever, again!

I'm now starting to think we're not going to see the season 're-start' until around the beginning of May 2020 (let's hope by that time all this bollox and panic has well and truly F***ed off eh?!).
However, working on that basis, this should still allow for the season to be completed, with fans in attendance (just how football should be), by say around the end of June 2020.
A couple of games per week shouldn't really be a problem now should it and even if it has to stretch into early / mid July 2020 then so be it. . . . . . . . simple as that eh?!
Delay the start of next season by 2 or 3 weeks (if at all necessary) and we go again!
Keep the faith, believe and of course . . . . . . . COME ON YOU RED AND WHITE WIIIZZZAAARRRDDDSSS!!!!

This weekend is when formal advice for the elderly etc to self isolate for 12 weeks. That ends, optimistically in June.

But people think football will be played before then?

That IS optimistic.

Sport is so far down the list of things we need to give a fuck about. I feel daft even being on here to be honest.

Give it a few months of 'Homes Under The Hammer' and people will be clamouring for something - anything - to uplift their spirits. It's not just about kicking a ball about. Like going in to work, footie provides much needed social interaction.

The good news? No tedium of Wimbledon, Grand National or the Olympics (although I will miss the one-legged skeet shooting...)

The bad? They're releasing prisoners and locking us old 'uns up. :(

Why do you think I am wrong? There is no way the govt will allow for any essential services (every behind closed doors game will need an ambulance for injuries, some police to stop people congregating etc) to be wasted at a non essential event. Rightly so.

As I say at best we may see some behind closed doors in Aug-Sept-Oct but the full country will be on almost full lockdown from April to June at least I feel from the projections. Sport will be even further down the pecking order than now in that period.
My belief is that the season will recommence as soon as the peak is over and it's safer to travel and be amongst others three months away perhaps

You are wrong mate

This article and what the government advisors are suggesting means in reality we wont see football in grounds for a long, long time. You said I was wrong to suggest we may not step foot in stadiums for over a year but this suggests otherwise. Watching football is right down near the bottom of priorities. If Schools are shut till Septemeber at the least (thats to the least vulnerbale groups) then there is no way they will allow crowds to gather of 20-50,000 in stadiums.

I think 2021-22 season is the most realistic time we will be going back to watch football.

I really hope I am wrong of course.

Those that feel we will be back watching games in August I am not sure what they are basing this on? The vaccine is 12-18 months away and that is even before they have the capacity to vaccinate everyone who needs it.

Bloody annoying as the best time to watch United in my life and now its going to be a long, long time before we see them again in person.

My belief is that the season will recommence as soon as the peak is over and it's safer to travel and be amongst others three months away perhaps

Ah belief. Just like a political or religious view it can be plucked out of your arse with no logic or reasoning behind it but it's still yours.

Schools are to be shut until Sept (6 months) - an essential service for say 200 (average primary) to 1,500 (average secondary) yet football in front of 50,000 people at some places will be back running by June?!

It aint happening.

We wont see any football in person till well into 2021. When the peak is over, they wll relax certain things over time but sport attendance is right at the bottom and an easy one to enforce. It sucks but you can understand why.

Schools are to be shut until Sept (6 months) - an essential service for say 200 (average primary) to 1,500 (average secondary) yet football in front of 50,000 people at some places will be back running by June?!

It aint happening.

We wont see any football in person till well into 2021. When the peak is over, they wll relax certain things over time but sport attendance is right at the bottom and an easy one to enforce. It sucks but you can understand why.
We'll just have to wait and see mate nobody really knows we can all just speculate on what we read and what we are told it's gonna be a long haul for sure

It aint happening.

Agreed so why not play the remaining fixtures both cup and league on the corresponding dates in 2021 ?

Reading what the government have been advised, it does very much look like no games with crowds for maybe a year, i do think that all games will be behind closed doors until then.

i think june. but more mid June. as seems the most likely it would be 3 months & most have cleared at 3 months

Back
Top Bottom