Poll - Should we have kept Wilder?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Should we have kept Wilder as manager for next season?

• Total voters
Should have been sacked months ago, too late now, surrendered our Premiership status
A club at the bottom of the league with only 14 points from 28 matches sacking their manager isn’t a surprise.

The only surprise for me is the timing, either sack him after 10 or 12 matches or don’t bother until the end of the season onwards. It’s pointless now, so that makes me think Wilder wants out.

As, I believe, has been said above, it wasn’t a case of us “keeping” him necessarily, if he has chosen to go.

Anyway, my answer right now is yes, we should have, if it was in our power to and if he wasn’t being unreasonable in what he expected from the club. I was in favour of him going just before Christmas; we hadn’t won a game and showed no signs of improvement. Added to that, there was still time to save our season with January for a new man to make a couple of signings. However; for him to go now is pretty bad timing. Once the January transfer window had come and gone and we’d accepted our fate, he should have been given the chance to right the wrongs of this season. I would have kept him until at least Christmas to see how we were getting on.

There are always going to be a lot of “ifs” with something like this as nobody on here has the full, behind the scenes picture.

91.6% want him to stay - not many managers get such a vote of approval by fans, especially if bottom of the league!
Totally agree, that's my Point, it should never have got to this stage in the first place, Like I said they should have talked and tried to sort something out, have some compromise on both sides and move forward to next season and push for promotion, but sadly it seems they couldn't work out their differences.

The only issue I have with Wilder is his refusal to change the system. Simply put, we do not have the players to suit the current formation.

I honestly don't think our signings would've been a failure big we'd changed our approach on how we attack. That said, I was hoping he'd experiment before deciding to leave.

The fans say 91.4% keep.

It's a proven psychology experiment that when a large group of people come together to make a decision they make the correct decision achieving results beyond what they could have done as individuals. Listen to the blades fans who have collective experience of 1,000's of years.

Like many Blades fans I would have liked to see Wilder leads us in the Championship next season.

The fans say 91.4% keep.

It's a proven psychology experiment that when a large group of people come together to make a decision they make the correct decision achieving results beyond what they could have done as individuals. Listen to the blades fans who have collective experience of 1,000's of years.
🤔 brexit?

I've voted No.

I don't know what has gone off behind the scenes, but following some of the stuff on Twitter, especially from his mate Wit, I don't like the way he seemed to think he had become bigger than the club in the end.

We are down, we know that, but over the last couple of the days, the posturing and entire saga has betrayed the fans.

I've voted No.

I don't know what has gone off behind the scenes, but following some of the stuff on Twitter, especially from his mate Wit, I don't like the way he seemed to think he had become bigger than the club in the end.

We are down, we know that, but over the last couple of the days, the posturing and entire saga has betrayed the fans.
What did Wit say?

Whoever the board get in the Prince has to find investment if he ever wants to return to the PL. He was the little fish in a big pond.
The other clubs he owns are small clubs in lower leagues, a big fish in little ponds.
I think he will be quite happy to play in the Championship he can pay mid champ wages with his parachute payments.
As for infrastructure improvements shelved for the time being.
Assume you're talking about the parachute payments which he's already taken loans out, on the strength of

People think we should have kept Wilder by a factor of 9-1.

Have a look at those who voted for sacking him - aside from the repeat bedwetters, there’s a theme - lots of names you’ve never heard of before with a low post count. They’re all over here of late, and this place seems much further removed from the wider sufc world than normal.

I’m calling it;

1615834145753.gif

Last edited:
Is there a depends option because my answer depends on a number of questions?

If:

he'd be prepared to recruit from outside of the UK
he'd be prepared to use the foreign loan market
he'd be prepared to look at the system
he'd be prepared to agree to a mutually acceptable dof if we went back up

then, yes.
Surely that is one of the problems that has been ignored.
He stayed, we went back up and back in the Premier League - then what happens?
This season has not gone so well. How is a repeat avoided?
The board will want a DoF.
CW wants to do it his way.
Presumably, irreconcilable again.

The vote is for keeping Wilder for next season (whatever that takes) Yes or No.

Bit too binary for me.

I think Wilder should stay to take on next season, but come Christmas if we aren't up in the top six without good reason then he needs to consider his position.

His main objectives for next season should have been

1. Assess this seasons individual performances and present team rationalisation (i.e. 'who to ditch') to the board
2. Assess this seasons team performances and provide an overall report to the board (have a word with Deadbat about this Chris)
3. Assess this seasons team performances and provide strategy (i.e. system changes) to ensure promotion next season
4. Provide acquisition permanent suggestions to strengthen squad within in year transfer budget of £x
5. Provide loan acquisition suggestions to strengthen squad (including loan-to-purchase suggestions)
6. Secure a strong top six position by final game of 2021
7. At least win playoffs by final game of 2021-22 season to achieve promotion to Premier League

pommpey

I've voted no, the only reason being is because of his relationship with the owners and his press conferences.

He was 100% the right man for the job, and if he was getting on with the owners then we should have kept him.

But recently it's just been us vs them mentality and its not healthy at all. Why keep someone here that doesn't want to be here? That's clear as daylight despite him being a blade he wanted out as he didn't like the direction the club is going in and wanted full control.

This is going to run and run.

If we do well against Chelsea we will get ‘I always said Wilder was a wanker; if we had sacked him earlier we would have stayed up’. If we do badly it will be ‘This is all on that charlatan Wilder; he’s bought shit players and betrayed us’.

I’m just hoping that the owners set out their vision for the future, one that we can all get behind.

Surely that is one of the problems that has been ignored.
He stayed, we went back up and back in the Premier League - then what happens?
This season has not gone so well. How is a repeat avoided?
The board will want a DoF.
CW wants to do it his way.
Presumably, irreconcilable again.

Exactly. The whole loan idea was bonkers because even if we went up we'd start that season with 15 contracted players, at most. Then we need to sign 10 players, with only 2 UK loans.

I get the fact that another year of TV money would be invested but relying on CW pulling off a miracle every time is hardly a plan. We'll never have the same momentum again. We also need years to build up our youth system to provide squad depth.

If the issue is mainly a DOF there surely was a compromise where CW and PW both agree on a person or, if not possible, CW finds someone whose job is to work alongside the DOF representing his interests.

Who knows really. Unless everything comes out we'll never know just what the problems were and when, but it does seem 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

I think we all wanted the dream story to have a long glorious happy ending. In the end the emotions just became too much.

Given what appears to have happened, shouldn’t the question be “should Wilder have stayed rather than resigned?”

Where is the 'Fuck Off' option? I'm only ever voting 'Fuck Off' in these polls from now on.

Exactly. The whole loan idea was bonkers because even if we went up we'd start that season with 15 contracted players, at most. Then we need to sign 10 players, with only 2 UK loans.

I get the fact that another year of TV money would be invested but relying on CW pulling off a miracle every time is hardly a plan. We'll never have the same momentum again. We also need years to build up our youth system to provide squad depth.

If the issue is mainly a DOF there surely was a compromise where CW and PW both agree on a person or, if not possible, CW finds someone whose job is to work alongside the DOF representing his interests.

Who knows really. Unless everything comes out we'll never know just what the problems were and when, but it does seem 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.
Seems about right.

It is difficult to believe that one side was "totally at fault" and the other "blameless".

Even what I have read about how CW was required to go along with things that he couldn't accept leave a lot of unanswered questions which would suggest some interpretations are completely one-sided.

I would say this was all about pride, on both sides.....
But as my wife keeps telling me " It's only a game " init........ :tumbleweed:

Back
Top Bottom