Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fighting Harada, also, one of my favourites Tony. Fighting in the early sixties as a flyweight- Do you remember another Japanese fighter, Yoshio Shirai? He was prominent in the fifties and was the first Japanese boxer to wIn a World title, also Flyweight or, maybe Feather. Shan't ask you if you remember a Danny 'Bang Bang ' Womba- Black fighter from Nigeria who took on all comers at the Fairground just by Broad Oaks Bridge on Staniforth Road. (Just after the War (2nd). I didn't challenge him as I was only 8 or 9 at the time. Don't know what is there now but it was used as a Barrage balloon launching site in the War. Sorry I don't have a photograph.
Missed those two DSB. My uncle was a pretty successful booth fighter. Remember those far eastern fighters fighting at weird weights such as strawweight 48 kg and paperweight 50kg. Was in Inglewood LA and regret I didn't go to the local Boxing stadium. Plenty of Puerto Ricans and Mexicans pummelling each other. Yoko Gushiken is another I remember. Vicente Saldivar another I liked. Carmen Basilio, Dick Tiger the list is endless.

Like Big Black Dog I didn't come in to this thread until p 836. Unlike Big Black Dog I did not read Pg 1- 835 but have dipped in here and there. Definite first read on the agenda from now- Brilliant - such interesting photos and comments.
It’s a great thread, some very interesting photographs, enhanced by the recollections of those who can remember those times.

Birmingham City in August 1955. Lost 3-0

They used the same picture for the following game, v ManU, which I think was unusual. The ManU match was a special one for me. United won 1-0 (Jones o.g., Mark not Phil!). In the pages I include below is a description of the growth of the Busby Babes, as a long-term plan, and the description of Duncan Edwards. That was the only match I ever saw him in the flesh, and no player made a greater impression on me in just one game. What a future he had in front of him.
68CCF86F-64DA-4B33-803A-2896556C0ECA.jpegAC95C636-E046-42AA-82EA-9193874474AD.jpeg197F960D-376D-4BD2-8D50-5669A23AE1CE.jpeg

They used the same picture for the following game, v ManU, which I think was unusual. The ManU match was a special one for me. United won 1-0 (Jones o.g., Mark not Phil!). In the pages I include below is a description of the growth of the Busby Babes, as a long-term plan, and the description of Duncan Edwards. That was the only match I ever saw him in the flesh, and no player made a greater impression on me in just one game. What a future he had in front of him.
View attachment 78684View attachment 78685View attachment 78686
That's why Bert likes this thread, memories from someone who actually saw Duncan Edwards play. Wonderful.

Something completely separate - do you know by whom and when our first free kick was ever converted?

I don't know the answer but just wondering by any chance if you do? Suppose a fact like this may be pretty hard to find out!
You will have to read the match reports from 1889 in the Sheffield archives!

Missed those two DSB. My uncle was a pretty successful booth fighter. Remember those far eastern fighters fighting at weird weights such as strawweight 48 kg and paperweight 50kg. Was in Inglewood LA and regret I didn't go to the local Boxing stadium. Plenty of Puerto Ricans and Mexicans pummelling each other. Yoko Gushiken is another I remember. Vicente Saldivar another I liked. Carmen Basilio, Dick Tiger the list is endless.

unnamed (3).jpg

Nice one XM. Is that a Joe Scarborough type print. If it's accurate it shows the Liver bird and Higsons brewery's name on the King's Head, the mysterious Cowshed actually on the opposite corner to the Norfolk
It's by the late George Cunningham, and I have it (print not original!), signed along with 4 others from Hibbert's art shop on Norfolk Street. He was a brilliant artist who thought he had no talent and just painted for himself until "discovered " quite late in life. His pictures are full of life, humour and colour, no mean feat as he lived through the depression and the second world war in an area at the bottom of the Moor long since flattened and redeveloped.

You will have to read the match reports from 1889 in the Sheffield archives!

Ha ha if I were to then I would be hoping that free kicks were implemented to the game a lot later than 1889!

Not even sure whether players had the skill to curl those much heavier balls up and over a wall and beat the keeper way back then.

Ha ha if I were to then I would be hoping that free kicks were implemented to the game a lot later than 1889!

Not even sure whether players had the skill to curl those much heavier balls up and over a wall and beat the keeper way back then.

Our first match of any description was a friendly away to Notts Rangers on 7 September 1889. We lost 4-1 and W. Robertson scored for the Blades or Cutlers as we would have been known as then. Our first game in any recognised competition was away to Scarborough in the FA Cup on 5 October 1889 which we won 1-6. Robertson scored again along with Dugald Galbraith, Donald Fraser and Billy Mosforth so its fair to assume one of these first four named players could have scored our first ever free kick.

As three of the four goalscorers were Scottish it would be fitting if the first ever free kick goalscorer for SUFC was an Englishman born in Sheffield called Billy. "Mosforth was an exponent of the screw shot which allowed him to bend the ball in the air".

The only downside to this is Mosforth played most of his career for the dark side before he came to us. :)

Last edited:
3 years late to the party but......

View attachment 78692
Reight pair o' brothel creepers Charlie's wearing.
Charles-Charlie-Peace's fold-up burglars ladder Executed 1878 for shooting a policeman.jpgHe played the violin and busked the streets in order to case his intended victims. Photos of his violin and his collapsible home made ladder used to assist his burglaries. Canny bugger were our Charlie.
Hung in 1887 for shooting a copper, his reputation reached down the generations. My granddad was born 1890 and grew up with stories of him, passing them on to his kids and grand kids. Photos from Black Museum, Sotland Yard.Charles-Charlie-Peace's violin Black Museum Scotland Yard.png

Three pics from the roof of Sharrow Telephone Exchange, Aizlewood Rd. August 1983.
The first is towards the south with the Abbeydale cinema and St Peter's church (now gone)
20200418_120504.jpg

Second, up Aizlewood Rd, towards Abbeydale Rd.

20200418_120322.jpg

Below, looking down Aizlewood Rd, towards Loxley Printers - the white building - which has a relatively grand entrance for the neighbourhood. ( When I was a small kid, my dad convinced me this was the Queen's Northern Palace.)
Somewhere in the distant murk is the Lane.

20200418_120236.jpg
Just off to the left of this pic was Sellers Street, part of which remains further down.
On there was the original (at least for me) Bardwell's electronic Aladdin's cave/shop.

Back
Top Bottom