Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A guy who worked for me told me a story about him having his hair cut in the Windsor one Saturday afternoon when a bloke came in on his motorbike and ordered a pint and drank it still sat on his bike. He thought the biker was strange but having his hair cut in the pub was quite normal🤔
Funnily enough, a mate of mine popped into the Manor Hotel once for a quick pint and someone rode a motorbike into the bar, drove round and went out again. He couldn’t quite believe what had happened but no one else appeared concerned.

You missed the Norfolk ,that was my Father in laws weekend crawl ,managed to get barred from most of them but they always let him back in. His weekday locals were the Steel Inn ,Merrie Monk and Manor castle and occasionally the Windsor but he always got in a scrap in there.

Top bloke Tommy, his dad Walter was Manager of The Steel Inn FC when I played for them.

Do you have photos of advertising boards where Homebase at Upper Meersbrook is now? Would love to see the adverts of the next match at the Lane and at S6 again.
Always remember them at the bottom of Spital Hill.

You missed the Norfolk ,that was my Father in laws weekend crawl ,managed to get barred from most of them but they always let him back in. His weekday locals were the Steel Inn ,Merrie Monk and Manor castle and occasionally the Windsor but he always got in a scrap in there.
My mother was a wybourn lass and weekly watering holes was the wybourn,belle vue and the cricket,I grew up outside them pubs along with a few other kids of my age and older at the time.

What was Tommy's Dad called ?
Youre right Mick ,just asked our lass ,he did have a brother called Walt ,there were 11 of them ,but Walt his Dad was the manager at Steel inn. He obviously knew how to score :D

Here's a photo taken of Commercial Street, you can see what I think was the YEB office (with bridge) and behind the demolition of what I think is the building you are referring to.

View attachment 78050
Yes, agree, with the white building the replacement for the domed Barclays bank we all mourn. Earlier different angle. Get your Petrol/Diesel flavoured bread at GunstonesCommercial St from Sheaf St 1960's (2).pngSheaf Market ana Rag n' Tag forground-A George Cunningham painting.jpgnow one with artistic licence and one for no reason what so ever, inside the old Barclays Bank demolished 1973.

Attachments

• Commercial St-Inside Barclays Bank-top of demolished early1960's.jpg
    Commercial St-Inside Barclays Bank-top of demolished early1960's.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 18

Violet May's original shop was in the vicinity of South Street

I first started going to Violet May's around 1955 and her shop was on Duke Street .

Over the next 2-3 years I built up a fairly substantial collection of jazz and blues records , mainly old fashioned and easily breakable 78's and which included the likes of Kid Ory , Jelly Roll Morton , Big Bill Broonzy and many others .

I still have all of them , although they have not been played for over 50 years .

Yes, agree, with the white building the replacement for the domed Barclays bank we all mourn. Earlier different angle. Get your Petrol/Diesel flavoured bread at GunstonesView attachment 78102View attachment 78104now one with artistic licence and one for no reason what so ever, inside the old Barclays Bank demolished 1973.
Nice one XM. Is that a Joe Scarborough type print. If it's accurate it shows the Liver bird and Higsons brewery's name on the King's Head, the mysterious Cowshed actually on the opposite corner to the Norfolk

I first started going to Violet May's around 1955 and her shop was on Duke Street .

Over the next 2-3 years I built up a fairly substantial collection of jazz and blues records , mainly old fashioned and easily breakable 78's and which included the likes of Kid Ory , Jelly Roll Morton , Big Bill Broonzy and many others .

I still have all of them , although they have not been played for over 50 years .

Wasn’t it near the Norfolk Picture Palace?

Yes, agree, with the white building the replacement for the domed Barclays bank we all mourn. Earlier different angle. Get your Petrol/Diesel flavoured bread at GunstonesView attachment 78102View attachment 78104now one with artistic licence and one for no reason what so ever, inside the old Barclays Bank demolished 1973.
Love the way people jumped on and off moving trams. Don't think it would happen today. Love these George Cunningham works.

Thx I was sure I used to go to Violet mays on Duke St. Great shop for vinyl. Used to visit a girlfriend on Bernard St and always popped in if it was open ( V/Ms that is). Remember buying a second hand My Generation album by The Who.

I think one of my all-time favourite Blades photos is of when Eddie had Frank Lampard and by the throat
At one point he lived at Todwick , We were working at the slaughterhouse there and bumped (Metaphorically you understand) into him at the paper shop most mornings. Always got a Hi or Good morning lads after we spoke to him first time.

me dad used to work on doors in town late 50s., he had some tales to tell, worked mainly at lord nelson, among others....

Back
Top Bottom