Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Name please and is it View attachment 78444View attachment 78445Kevin Arnott in stripes and what a great shirt with the long sleeves. Thank You, in advance.
Fairly sure that the top pic is Richard Lucas with Kevin Arnott being the one below.

I played in the same Sunday League age group as Lucas so followed his path closely into the Blades first team

I've been wondering for a long time if this has anything to do with you, Andingmen as it ticks several boxes. This photo is taken from the Sheffield History forum.

When we were about 10 or 11 - mid-1970s - we used to wander up to Broomhill from Endcliffe Park, past Tony Christie's gated pad, and onto the Rolls Royce garage on Peel Street where we would then stand outside and gawp at the beautiful cars in the showroom window. Why we never went in to cadge some brochures, I'm not quite sure.

View attachment 78441

View attachment 78442
No, I'm afraid it's not. I never managed to find the key to Broomhill Telephone Exchange roof :)
although, only recently I've become aware of "Sheffdave's" photos. He's got a website somewhere with some great city shots.
I did manage to get this pic though, somewhat later - May 1983.
I too remember looking at all the posh folks cars in that showroom on some of my earlier visits to the exchange.
20200418_121046.jpg

Had forgotten Forest had a near Pig shaped Kop.

I've been wondering for a long time if this has anything to do with you, Andingmen as it ticks several boxes. This photo is taken from the Sheffield History forum.

When we were about 10 or 11 - mid-1970s - we used to wander up to Broomhill from Endcliffe Park, past Tony Christie's gated pad, and onto the Rolls Royce garage on Peel Street where we would then stand outside and gawp at the beautiful cars in the showroom window. Why we never went in to cadge some brochures, I'm not quite sure.

View attachment 78441

View attachment 78442
Kennings had a driving school there and they got me through the test in the late 60s, the instructor was a huge guy called Derek Thurman, great bloke, who always parked the Austin 1100 on the double yellows - no-one dared tell him to move it....

Kennings had a driving school there and they got me through the test in the late 60s, the instructor was a huge guy called Derek Thurman, great bloke, who always parked the Austin 1100 on the double yellows - no-one dared tell him to move it....
Not even The Constabulary?

No, I'm afraid it's not. I never managed to find the key to Broomhill Telephone Exchange roof :)
although, only recently I've become aware of "Sheffdave's" photos. He's got a website somewhere with some great city shots.
I did manage to get this pic though, somewhat later - May 1983.
I too remember looking at all the posh folks cars in that showroom on some of my earlier visits to the exchange.
View attachment 78462
Used to have my haircut at Hinchcliffes at the top of that street , first saturday morning of every 2 months with my Dad. He always got something for the weekend 🤫

View attachment 30459

Whilst we're on about broken biscuits, anyone who is familiar with this building half way up Shrewsbury Road will be interested to know this used to be a boiled sweet factory. Locals used to call it the rock factory. When we were kids, we used to go in with whatever we had, a penny, tuppence or whatever, and they would scoop up the broken bits, bag them up and send you on your way. Occasionally you got a couple of intact pieces in your bag, and yeah, that was like a lottery win!
I remember that well, we used to pop in on the way home from school, st Pauls on granville rd but we called it the "spice factory", happy days!!

Not exactly a photo but an interesting artefact relating to our famous encounter with Man U in1971. My dad was an inveterate letter writer and was always happy to let organisations know if he wasn't happy with them.View attachment 78474
So, in 1971, the Blades were the biggest draw since the Munich disaster. And the pigs think taking 3,000 to QPR is a massive achievement.

So, in 1971, the Blades were the biggest draw since the Munich disaster. And the pigs think taking 3,000 to QPR is a massive achievement.
Can remember the Sunday papers going on about "The Mass Exodus" from Sheffield , some on the front pages. Showed photos of cars still backed up to the Pennine passes at kick off time. Think the second paragraph needs keeping for future reference.

Can remember the Sunday papers going on about "The Mass Exodus" from Sheffield , some on the front pages. Showed photos of cars still backed up to the Pennine passes at kick off time. Think the second paragraph needs keeping for future reference.
Couldn't have been more than a couple of hundred Unitedites who got in that day.
The Scoreboard End was full of Man U fans with no Blades congregating together.

I remember that well, we used to pop in on the way home from school, st Pauls on granville rd but we called it the "spice factory", happy days!!
When I went to park hill first and middle schools,late 70s & early 80s on the flats,we used to nip up at dinner times,we called it rock factory.

Couldn't have been more than a couple of hundred Unitedites who got in that day.
From what I've been told there was no segregation in place and Blades fans were scattered around the ground with a healthy contingent on the Stretford End and what is now the Matt Busby Stand. According to the press over 20000 started out but definitely 20000 didn't see the game. Apparently loads cut their losses and visited Hillsborough and gave them their biggest crowd of the season up till then.

From what I've been told there was no segregation in place and Blades fans were scattered around the ground with a healthy contingent on the Stretford End and what is now the Matt Busby Stand. According to the press over 20000 started out but definitely 20000 didn't see the game. Apparently loads cut their losses and visited Hillsborough and gave them their biggest crowd of the season up till then.
Bert got in that day. He was one of the few, the gates were shut at 2 o'clock.

There was no such thing as segregation in those days anyway.

I remember vividly being in that, or a similar crush, that day. I had the distinct impression of being entirely amongst Blades outside the stadium. We certainly got there pretty early. My recollection is that, at first, the queue was orderly and good humoured. Then for no apparent reason, we were shepherded and corralled by police on horses, into a shapeless, disorganised and down right dangerous mass of humanity - men women and children. It was genuinely frightening. There was absolutely nothing any of us could do or say except to be edged towards the turnstiles, desperately trying to remain upright. When my mate and I finally got through into the stadium, we were soaked in sweat, top to bottom. My legs were shaking from the strain and effort.
I'm not usually given to melodrama but...How no one was seriously injured or worse, I'll never know. There but for the grace of God ..
As for the match, there seemed to me to be a fair few Blades inside. As it turned out, we had nowt to shout about at the end.

...they might have discussed it in the South Seas, Tavern, or Fox and Duck
Mentioned this before but never saw any feedback. During the 1950's an ex-Blades player keep the Tavern. Unfortunately can't for the life of me remember who. On occasion, from school, we caught the bus from outside the tavern to town. Distinctly remember seeing the name over the door, whilst awaiting the bus, thinking he played for United and wanting to go in and see him, despite the pub was closed at around 1600.

I think a few thousand of us made it in... I was on the side to the right of the goal where best scored, just as the white wooden picket fence curved round, and it was all blades there. Heart sank when Best scored...and I don’t remember their second goal at all... but what a day out... attendance was about 51000 I think.

I think a few thousand of us made it in... I was on the side to the right of the goal where best scored, just as the white wooden picket fence curved round, and it was all blades there. Heart sank when Best scored...and I don’t remember their second goal at all... but what a day out... attendance was about 51000 I think.
It seemed like just a few hundred, we were all spilt up, no chanting or singing. Nothing like Bert has ever experienced before or after.

I remember vividly being in that, or a similar crush, that day. I had the distinct impression of being entirely amongst Blades outside the stadium. We certainly got there pretty early. My recollection is that, at first, the queue was orderly and good humoured. Then for no apparent reason, we were shepherded and corralled by police on horses, into a shapeless, disorganised and down right dangerous mass of humanity - men women and children. It was genuinely frightening. There was absolutely nothing any of us could do or say except to be edged towards the turnstiles, desperately trying to remain upright. When my mate and I finally got through into the stadium, we were soaked in sweat, top to bottom. My legs were shaking from the strain and effort.
I'm not usually given to melodrama but...How no one was seriously injured or worse, I'll never know. There but for the grace of God ..
As for the match, there seemed to me to be a fair few Blades inside. As it turned out, we had nowt to shout about at the end.
On the contrary , you made it in.

Not exactly a photo but an interesting artefact relating to our famous encounter with Man U in1971. My dad was an inveterate letter writer and was always happy to let organisations know if he wasn't happy with them.View attachment 78474
What a brilliant document. My brother was living in Glossop at the time, and we got to the ground at about 2.00. No chance of getting in, but along with hundreds of others we decided to stay outside the ground and take our chances on the gates opening before the end of the game. We listened to the game on portable radios, and it was clear that the original United were the better team. We got into the ground about 20 minutes from the end and rushed up to the back of the stand confident that the outcome would be good. Within a matter of minutes, Best set out on THAT dribble. A 2-0 defeat, the end of an incredible unbeaten run, and form dipped alarmingly. That was almost a great United team, and a team that was good to watch.

What a brilliant document. My brother was living in Glossop at the time, and we got to the ground at about 2.00. No chance of getting in, but along with hundreds of others we decided to stay outside the ground and take our chances on the gates opening before the end of the game. We listened to the game on portable radios, and it was clear that the original United were the better team. We got into the ground about 20 minutes from the end and rushed up to the back of the stand confident that the outcome would be good. Within a matter of minutes, Best set out on THAT dribble. A 2-0 defeat, the end of an incredible unbeaten run, and form dipped alarmingly. That was almost a great United team, and a team that was good to watch.
Wonderful summary.

I was stood as a 6 year old listening on Radio2 with my Dad in our house in Grenoside.

Grandad ( Tinsley lot) got in.

Back
Top Bottom