Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Anyway here's another one with more detail and a question....Cherry street July 1983. The black shed on the left is the infamous Winter Shed already talked about on this thread. About 10 years after this photo was taken, I risked life and limb playing 5-a-side for a year or two in there. The "playing" surface was a bargain roll-end green offcut from Mike's Carpets, expertly laid except for all the joints, which curled wickedly up, ready to snag the unwary.
The ball often ended up on the gallery. The strong or foolhardy could scrabble up from pitch to retrieve it. The strong just clambered back down. The foolhardy were off work for a week with a twisted ankle and grazes.
The caretaker, Vic, never came out of his little office/shed thingy up at the end of the gallery.
After the match and a trickle cold shower in the adjoining portakabin, I hobbled round to pay him.
He never looked up from his Sun newspaper...
And the question..... the house/lodge in the centre of the photo. ....what was its purpose?? I guess it was some kind of caretakers house. For the stadium? The pavilion?
Tozzing photo, and so emotive for people of a certain age. Captures the major transition in the history of Bramall Lane. The two figures on the wall set it off to a tee. Was that by design or coincidence?
Recon you're right with the 'caretaker's house' that's what I've always understood but it did cross my mind it could be the groundsman's or even the two jobs were combined.
Your story of the indoor nets shed brought up a memory of my own. 1983 and your description of the shed is spot on. Son was playing U11's and his manager organised a parents game against a longstanding rival team/manager. I finish playing in goal for the opposition as they were short. Match was drawn with me saving a 1 on 1 with sons manager in last few mins., didn't speak to me for quite a while after that.

I wonder why the subscriptions doesn't work right for me here. I like this thread, but it don't always notify, and I can never find it.

Does the subscription threads notifications work for everyone else?

reminder up to page
page 739

It looks like we might be twiddling our thumbs for a few weeks now, so I thought I'd finally try and join in with this fabulous thread with a few pics. If this works ok, I'll try more.
View attachment 73699
Bloody hell can see a old DC Cook sign on scoreboard. Use to do fiddle work in his old workshops darn Wath. If ever anyone dropped on lucky in business it was him. A reyt useless and idol bugger he was.

At the end of our game we waited on the John Street terrace for the fella to put up the scores over on the cricket pitch side. The ground was quiet and emptying as we watched the said fella approach the Wednesday score for what would be the last time. We wondered what he was doing until we worked out he was trying to tell us it was Boro 8 pigs 0 by showing us a number 6 and a number 2. He couldn't find a number 8 as such a score hardly ever occurred. A big cheer went up from those left behind :D Oh how we laughed on the way out.
Been mentioned a few times about the Fella put up score on the pavilion. Anyone know who he was, surely someone must now him..

Tozzing photo, and so emotive for people of a certain age. Captures the major transition in the history of Bramall Lane. The two figures on the wall set it off to a tee. Was that by design or coincidence?
Recon you're right with the 'caretaker's house' that's what I've always understood but it did cross my mind it could be the groundsman's or even the two jobs were combined.
Your story of the indoor nets shed brought up a memory of my own. 1983 and your description of the shed is spot on. Son was playing U11's and his manager organised a parents game against a longstanding rival team/manager. I finish playing in goal for the opposition as they were short. Match was drawn with me saving a 1 on 1 with sons manager in last few mins., didn't speak to me for quite a while after that.
Yes, XM657, the figures were kind of deliberate...my missus and young lad were resting, fed up of being dragged round while I photographed boring buildings.
As for the house - well, it's really odd because all of us veteran Blades , and indeed cricket fans, must have walked past it thousands of times.
Like SB said, I too can't say I ever noticed it until I took the photo.
I'm wondering now if it was summat to do with the Tomlinson's Anchor brewery opposite. It would have been about opposite the main gates...maybe ..???

Been mentioned a few times about the Fella put up score on the pavilion. Anyone know who he was, surely someone must now him..
The QPR game in 1974 was when the score board was placed just off the edge of the football pitch near the Bramall Lane end. I think the pavilion scoreboard was a bit earlier. If my memory is right, by late 74 the New South Stand was being built and the old pavilion may have been knocked down. Is that right?

Wow fantastic pics those 2. My old man worked there in the 60s for Arnold Laver. Do you have any more pics? Love these and all the others you've posted.
Hi, Jolly Buffer, yes I've got a couple more I took around there on the same day, July 1983, attached below. I've also got some others somewhere from the same area but a few years later. But I dont want to bore everyone else too much , not yet, anyway :)20200211_141101.jpg

Remember he was an old grey hair man with glasses. He had a good sense of humour and often pretended that Wendy were winning 3-0 and the crowd would protest loud and then he would eventually put on the correct score.

On the corner, where the Lavers sign is, was a corner shop. Again if I remember correctly, sometime late 60's the shopkeeper caught a shoplifter who hit the shopkeeper over the head with a bottle of pop from the shelf, the blow killed him. I think the story was the shoplifter worked at Lavers wood yard of flour mill. Does anyone remember any of this?

Are those first two photos, and maybe last one, on Duke Street???
If so, after reading the words "Violet May", I have a very vague memory of visiting her original shop somewhere round the bottom of that street in the 60's. ,Am I dreaming???

Yes, all Duke Street, inc Norfolk Picture Palace. I believe the shop was just below there.

Anyway here's another one with more detail and a question....Cherry street July 1983. The black shed on the left is the infamous Winter Shed already talked about on this thread. About 10 years after this photo was taken, I risked life and limb playing 5-a-side for a year or two in there. The "playing" surface was a bargain roll-end green offcut from Mike's Carpets, expertly laid except for all the joints, which curled wickedly up, ready to snag the unwary.
The ball often ended up on the gallery. The strong or foolhardy could scrabble up from pitch to retrieve it. The strong just clambered back down. The foolhardy were off work for a week with a twisted ankle and grazes.
The caretaker, Vic, never came out of his little office/shed thingy up at the end of the gallery.
After the match and a trickle cold shower in the adjoining portakabin, I hobbled round to pay him.
He never looked up from his Sun newspaper...
And the question..... the house/lodge in the centre of the photo. ....what was its purpose?? I guess it was some kind of caretakers house. For the stadium? The pavilion?

View attachment 73783

That has brought back a distant memory for me too, I used to train in there in the mid to late '70,s, with Hallam I think although I am not sure. During one game of 5 a side after training I was taking my turn in goal & dived to grab the ball at the feet of someone or other & both he & a defender collapsed on top of me & crushed my left hand. Broke my little finger quite badly & damaged the guiders & nerves so had to have it operated on, never been the same since, still can't move it or bend it properly & has I am sure contributed to my carpal tunnel, & to compound that I am left handed. Great pictures mate, thanks for posting.

I'm really hesitating to question such a legend on this forum SB, and please accept in advance my humble, grovelling apologies if I am well wide of the beam. But.....
Are the players not photoshopped onto that background 🤔...?? I worked in China for a few years and there was an infamous case there, that was ridiculed brilliantly by the mischievous masses with their photoshop skills.
I would not for one minute suggest the same here but it does open up some possibilities for the more creative and computer savvy amongst us🤔😊😊

I'm really hesitating to question such a legend on this forum SB, and please accept in advance my humble, grovelling apologies if I am well wide of the beam. But.....
Are the players not photoshopped onto that background 🤔...?? I worked in China for a few years and there was an infamous case there, that was ridiculed brilliantly by the mischievous masses with their photoshop skills.
I would not for one minute suggest the same here but it does open up some possibilities for the more creative and computer savvy amongst us🤔😊😊
Didnt think it was photoshopped. I am not a photo expert anyway!

Back
Top Bottom