Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What road is that? Are they 2 of the 3 tower blocks at the bottom of Cemetery Road (Leverton Gardens etc.)?

Fawcett St and St Stephens Road. Netherthorpe flats in the background. Bromley St goes off to the left part ways down.

My mum's dad lived on Fawcett Street in the maisonettes they built when they knocked that lot down. He'd been a miner before the war and got free coal, so the cupboard just inside his front door had a sheet of strong ply across the door frame and was he 'coil oil'. My mum was born a few yards away in Bramwell Street. As a kid I'd play out around there sometimes and managed to break my arm once in the process. Obviously my dad told me to 'stop roarin' and it was the only the next day it was diagnosed as a break and I got a trip to the Childrens.

In front of the high rise flats you can see the Ponderosa althoughtIi think that name was only adopted in the 60s after the TV series 'Bonanza'.
In the top of the picture you can see the chapel at Crookesmoor/Barber Road junction.

bananas.JPG

I virtually lived in the Lido and Millhouses park in my early teens. SPOT against the wall at the top end of the park sharpened your football skills up ,too short it was in the river ,too high on the railway line ,Padder tennis ,quick game of draughts then chat some posh lasses up across at Dobcroft youth club ,or rough uns up at rowlinson. I loved my teens.

In front of the high rise flats you can see the Ponderosa althoughtIi think that name was only adopted in the 60s after the TV series 'Bonanza'.
In the top of the picture you can see the chapel at Crookesmoor/Barber Road junction.

I think you're right about the Ponderosa name, which I remember from my cousin and his mates who lived round there at the time. It seemed like an impossibly large space for an inner city. We used to play football on there, despite it being nowhere near flat.

The chapel you refer to was the St John's Methodist Church and where my Mum and Dad were married in 1945. It was cathedral like and seated almost 2,000, don't think it was full for their wedding It's been closed for many years, is it still standing?

I think you're right about the Ponderosa name, which I remember from my cousin and his mates who lived round there at the time. It seemed like an impossibly large space for an inner city. We used to play football on there, despite it being nowhere near flat.

The chapel you refer to was the St John's Methodist Church and where my Mum and Dad were married in 1945. It was cathedral like and seated almost 2,000, don't think it was full for their wedding It's been closed for many years, is it still standing?
They must have levelled it a bit since your day as me and my mates played on it almost every Monday in the early to mid 90s. It was ‘serviceable’.

It is and has been converted into flats.

http://www.mywesleyanmethodists.org..._st_johns_wesleyan_methodist_chapel_yorkshire

They must have levelled it a bit since your day as me and my mates played on it almost every Monday in the early to mid 90s. It was ‘serviceable’.

There are some steel 5 a-side type posts on a flat bit about a third of the way down. The larger area from the end of Fawcett Street down to Upperthorpe Road is grassed with a downhill slope.

We often walk down through Crookes and acroos the Ponderosa when our dogs are keen to enjoy the delights of the various Kelham Island watering holes. Some reet 'ard dogs round there though, so our two don't go giving it large on someone else's manor.

It is and has been converted into flats.

http://www.mywesleyanmethodists.org..._st_johns_wesleyan_methodist_chapel_yorkshire

There are some steel 5 a-side type posts on a flat bit about a third of the way down. The larger area from the end of Fawcett Street down to Upperthorpe Road is grassed with a downhill slope.

We often walk down through Crookes and acroos the Ponderosa when our dogs are keen to enjoy the delights of the various Kelham Island watering holes. Some reet 'ard dogs round there though, so our two don't go giving it large on someone else's manor.
Yes, the top bit, opposite side of the road to CVP. I forgot it continued right down to Upperthorpe Road.

Fawcett St and St Stephens Road. Netherthorpe flats in the background. Bromley St goes off to the left part ways down.
I was born in Fawcett Street and yes, it was as grim as it looked. We lived at no 3 court 9. This was a one up one down slum in a dilapidated yard with a row of outside toilets, one of which we shared with the house we were back to back with.

They call them great days, but they weren't t really. Life was hard. My dad had a bad motorcycle accident when I was about 18 month old and was in hospital for about 8 months. We had nothing coming in and my mother had to rely on handouts from neighbours and family.

When we moved to Gleadless Valley, it was literally a breathe of fresh air, and then look at what happened to that estate!!

I virtually lived in the Lido and Millhouses park in my early teens. SPOT against the wall at the top end of the park sharpened your football skills up ,too short it was in the river ,too high on the railway line ,Padder tennis ,quick game of draughts then chat some posh lasses up across at Dobcroft youth club ,or rough uns up at rowlinson. I loved my teens.
Hey less of the rough uns at Rowlinson

Have just spent the better part of 4 evenings (and afternoons) going through the entirety of this thread. Thanks to all the contributors - I've learned so much about what this city has looked like over the years, but as a relative nipper in this thread (at 32) there are so many photos that I just can't place, it all looks so different!

Keep it up chaps :)

That James Bond car was a thing of beauty. The gold one, if fully working with a decent box, you can expect to pay £150 - £200 now. The silver ones are worth a bit too. Corgi recently re-released both, once again the gold coloured one is rarer and is expected to become more valuable.

Ah yes, the Batmobile, I had one of those as a child. There are a lot of "playworn" ones about that aren't worth much. The missiles go missing, and the front windows are very breakable. A boxed one in nice condition you can expect to pay over £200. The prize pig is the Batmobile / Batboat set. If you find a boxed one and it's under £500, you've done well.

I had all of those as a kid, Gold and Silver Bond cars, Batmobile, Batboat, Batman and Robin figures, the vehicles from the TV series "Thunderbirds", "Captain Scarlet" and "UFO", Action Man (of course) and I also had a Knight in armour, like an Action Man, and I had a spy (also like Action Man) called "Mike Hazard".

Ah.....good old days........

Have just spent the better part of 4 evenings (and afternoons) going through the entirety of this thread. Thanks to all the contributors - I've learned so much about what this city has looked like over the years, but as a relative nipper in this thread (at 32) there are so many photos that I just can't place, it all looks so different!

Keep it up chaps :)

32?

Tha's another 30 years o'misery at S2 to come.

Back
Top Bottom