Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It was Roberts and Wilde on The Dale. Ray Roberts the owner was a mate of my Dads and used to come on holiday with us ,strange but very likeable bloke (he looked like Mick Miller) and I'll never know why but everyone called him Stanley. He must have had the rights to sell Dockers in Sheffield because it was the only place you could get them. Made him a wealthy man but he was tight as a ducks arse.
Yes got my first pair from there conned our old man into buying me a pair said they’d keep my feet warm in the winter
Got my mother to turn up my Levi’s braces on result.

Yes got my first pair from there conned our old man into buying me a pair said they’d keep my feet warm in the winter
Got my mother to turn up my Levi’s braces on result.
My mum became convinced I was either int barmy army or nf. My first pair were 12 quid I think but as a family friend Stanley let me have them for 11.99

My mum became convinced I was either int barmy army or nf. My first pair were 12 quid I think but as a family friend Stanley let me have them for 11.99
Laces had to be pulled tight up as well they killed my feet until they were bedded in.

Last band to appear at this venue was New Order believe it or not. 1981/2.
It had changed it's name to Romeo and Juliets by the time New Order played there. I was there that night - remember that they didn't play Ceremony and were very miserable on stage although Barney was pretty good on melodica! Mark White (who was in my class at City School) and Martin Fry from ABC were there and gave me a lift home after the gig. 37 years ago........

A decent Jonny Bairstow hit away from my grandad's farm.

High Bradfield?

Not only is it a great place to play cricket, more importantly it’s a great place to watch cricket.

Pub and ice cream van, what’s not to like?

It had changed it's name to Romeo and Juliets by the time New Order played there. I was there that night - remember that they didn't play Ceremony and were very miserable on stage although Barney was pretty good on melodica! Mark White (who was in my class at City School) and Martin Fry from ABC were there and gave me a lift home after the gig. 37 years ago........
I know that, I was the promoter & DJ. Sound quality was pretty poor though I did record it for my own pleasure, & yes they were all miserable apart from Hooky & Gillian, who I had a lovely long chat with. Bernard annoyed me by throwing a beer glass & breaking an overhead light structure as well. Lots of Sheffield bands in the audience that I knew & got on well with, although I did refuse an offer from Phil Oakey to put his band on as I didn't like his music.

The one behind The Cross or across the Sands?

Think I saw Jonny's Dad play there
From the top, David Bairstow, Sir Geoffrey, Colin Johnson, Jack Hampshire, Phil Sharpe, Chris Old, Blank, Phil Carrick, Mike Bore, Howard Cooper, Tony Nicholson. Who is the blank. I can't figure it out.

While we're on the subject of cricket, I've never liked the Yorkshire logo. Always looked like it was drawn by a 10 year old. It was probably designed by Lord Hawke so nobody would argue with him.

36380582_10214436520898125_5648008897638694912_n.jpg

Surrey Street before the Town Hall was built on the left

From the top, David Bairstow, Sir Geoffrey, Colin Johnson, Jack Hampshire, Phil Sharpe, Chris Old, Blank, Phil Carrick, Mike Bore, Howard Cooper, Tony Nicholson. Who is the blank. I can't figure it out.

While we're on the subject of cricket, I've never liked the Yorkshire logo. Always looked like it was drawn by a 10 year old. It was probably designed by Lord Hawke so nobody would argue with him.
Don Wilson? Geoff Cope? Graham Stevenson? Richard Hutton?

Don Wilson? Geoff Cope? Graham Stevenson? Richard Hutton?
Think it's Richard Lumb.

00D11110-0B67-417E-B4EA-2DECDF9C8E81.jpeg Kingston Blade’s Post at #8226 is a very good photo indeed of a great moment in the club’s recent history. However, I just prefer this one from a split-second later because it includes not only Leon at a high point of his career but also Wilder, Coutts and a crestfallen Carvalhal. And just by Carvalhal’s head is a bit of bright yellow which I think is a security guard’s jacket and above that there’s a distinguished-looking bloke with a raffish air about him in a light blue shirt (worn solely in order to fit in, you understand), leaning forward in his seat and looking to his left. That’s me and to my immediate left is my brother, up from London for the match and, like me, a Unitedite since 1964. As you can imagine, we’re both wondering to ourselves how on earth this could possibly get any better and in fact the only thing that could have improved it would have been the opportunity to stand up on our seats and howl for sheer joy. Actually, thinking about it, I reckon this might be the moment when the scoreboard (which was in my line of sight) changed to read “Owls 2 Blades 4” and I said to my brother in what I hoped was a cheesed-off tone that chimed with those sitting around us: “look at that bloody scoreboard - you couldn’t have dreamt that this morning, could you?”

Fargate, 1966. Looks so much better don't you think?
United's first shirt sponsor on the left, Cantors store. I wouldn't know of any more anywhere else but I'm sure there must have been. Also almost next to it, Joan Barrie the place the wife bought her wedding dress. I have been trying for ages to get a decent photo of it, for the Family Archive, and this is it. Thanks SEB.

Back
Top Bottom