New view of Lane re-development

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This is exactly why I suggested repeatedly, at every opportunity, well past the point that it was remotely amusing (if indeed it ever was), that we had to take advantage of the fact that Martyn Woolford had a degree in civil engineering. The man was never given a chance to prove himself.
I knew there had to be something he was good at.

That would make Kev, Mr Fawlty ................
A corner would be possible if you build it in line with the end of the Kop but up stick it on stilts so it's not blocked by the South Stand. You could have a tunnel to access the Kop from the bottom underneath it so the height would be useful. Build it at the same or greater rake than the South Stand and then that wouldn't be in the way, and then like mentioned in my shit drawing post, they could fashion some kind of building above the corner, which would also act as the roof for the corner stand.

I've been at the pens again.
20171024_192237.jpg

Here's like a little 3D thing
vOhRcny.jpg

I'd prefer something like this though. Some seats at least. Hate the idea of filling the only corner we have that has genuine expansion potential with another business centre.

Would be an engineering challenge at the very least.

Similar to the corners at Ibrox

Please please don’t start referring to Bramall Lane as the “old girl”

It’s stinks of the pigs calling their dump the ‘old lady’ , it sickly and it makes me want to throw up when I hear it.
The old lady is quite appropriate for The Sty as it stinks of piss and will be lucky to survive a harsh winter.

Please please don’t start referring to Bramall Lane as the “old girl”

It’s stinks of the pigs calling their dump the ‘old lady’ , it sickly and it makes me want to throw up when I hear it.

In an effort to not upset anyone, again, I retract the epithet "Old Girl" and replace it with "Old Whore" as Bramall Lane is a place where millions of drunken men have paid good money to enter her, often at night, to be variously, pissed upon, crapped upon, brought to exhilarating climaxes and suffered degrading humiliation before sloping off home to their loved ones saying they have just been to a "football match"

I think it might happen before most people think it will.

I agree, I’m sure the Kop will happen soon, doubtful about the South stand though, that might never happen.

There are a few reasons why I think the Kop expansion will happen.
1: McCabe is a property developer and I’m sure his ambition before he dies is to maximise and use the whole Bramall Lane site.
He’s ready starting work on the Cherry St/ Shoreham St corner.
Also I think he has an ego and wants to remembered in our history as giving something to/ improving the club.

2: The current Kop arrangement was only meant to be “temporary”. In this day and age it’s actually embarrassing and a throw back to the 70’s, to have outside toilets and outside kiosk areas. Also we have loads of “partial view” seats on the Kop due to the pillars. Just removing the pillars will improve the experience.

3: In the PL the current 32K capacity was proven in 2007 to be too small, an increase to 36K would be more appropriate.

Last edited:
Can't see it myself. They will do the crappy kop extension to the rear first.

That sounds really ungrateful like something a spoilt might say on Xmas day when they get a IPhone but cry that they also expected an IPad Pro with the IPhone.

The “crappy” Kop extension will cost millions and massively improve the stadium, atmosphere and facilities.
The good news is that I doubt it would have a massive financial implication, so ticket prices would need to be drastically increased.

That’s weird, looks like the mound of earth which defines “a Kop” has already been moved.
Maybe flattening the whole Shoreham Street site isn’t as big a job as we all thought.

It’s a shame our Kop wasn’t on the Bramall Lane side then could build retail outlets and restaurants and bars underneath and try to tie it in with the China Town development.
the mound isnt that big , I reckon it can be removed in 3 weeks if planned well , we could dump the waste on spare land eg lay it on hillsborough pitch to raise it above flood level

That sounds really ungrateful like something a spoilt might say on Xmas day when they get a IPhone but cry that they also expected an IPad Pro with the IPhone.

The “crappy” Kop extension will cost millions and massively improve the stadium, atmosphere and facilities.
The good news is that I doubt it would have a massive financial implication, so ticket prices would need to be drastically increased.

if we spend money on the kop

do it properly no bodgit jobs
utilise the space fully , get toilets and bars under the stand giving more space outside to further utilise the rest of the plot
and make money from more buildings on site
may cost more up front but will earn more in the future

the plan shows more office and flats on shoreham corner, which covers some of the costs

I believe they'll do the residential as soon as the conditions are discharged and the kop will be done close season. Best option would be to do both stands at the same time but blah... Y'know.

Residents don't grant planning permission, they can only write to the council with any objections they may have.
The Planning Committee then make a decision.
I'm sure that the Councillors who are true Blades will..........................................Oh! :(
You did realise that I was joking yes? Hence the reference to the mobile phone masts... :oops:

Like the ideas coming out on this thread but I hate to be a killjoy and point out that these plans are over 8 years old and I believe were the initial proposals for the Sheffield World Cup bid, as per this video:

The pigs had a very similar video if I recall.

Like the ideas coming out on this thread but I hate to be a killjoy and point out that these plans are over 8 years old and I believe were the initial proposals for the Sheffield World Cup bid, as per this video:

There was a significant difference though,

Uniteds stadium improvement was being financed privately where as
the Wednesday bid was very much reliant on World Cup grants offered by FIFA or whoever else was willing to see them as a charity.

Personally I’m certain the Kop will get done once we’re in the PL, there’s little choice really, that stand let’s the rest of the stadium down, it’s the only stand with pillars blocking the view and unbelievably (for this century) the concourse facilities are still outside open to the elements. I think the South stand will only get done if we’re regularly getting 36K+ for almost every match, which unless we’re doing well in the PL is doubtful.

You do realise that the club has a planning application in with the council at the moment for reserved matters and to discharge conditions for this very scheme, which has already been approved? *

*Kop - full permission; South Stand - outline permission.

You do realise that the club has a planning application in with the council at the moment for reserved matters and to discharge conditions for this very scheme, which has already been approved? *

*Kop - full permission; South Stand - outline permission.

Is the planning permission that we have in place for the Kop along the lines of the full rebuild as proposed in the World Cup bid vid, or for Cheap & Nasty II where we just extend the current mess? Or both, depending on what we decide to proceed with?

Is the planning permission that we have in place for the Kop along the lines of the full rebuild as proposed in the World Cup bid vid, or for Cheap & Nasty II where we just extend the current mess? Or both, depending on what we decide to proceed with?
As far as I'm aware, there's never been any plans for a full rebuild. I've just looked at the vid and it's not a full rebuild at all. Yes, the roof will be cantilevered, with the posts removed but the main kop structure will remain in place with an extension at the back of about 3k seats. I would be surprised if it didn't also include some sort of re-modding of the toilets & catering facilities also.

That was my belief. I believe and I'll stand correct but the plan would be to put all the facilities underneath the extension the having it all under cover.

That video of the Kop in the World Cup bid IS the cheaper bolt-on design.

It doesn’t look cheap and nasty to me though.
I don’t believe building from scratch on a flat area creates that much extra internal space.
However there will be new offices and fancy concourse areas inside that stand with the proposed design.

The plans are for an extension to the kop and have been from day one. I have tried to give some reasoning for this in previous posts in this and other threads. The full rebuild is nothing but the fantasy of a few amateur architects on this forum.

The plans for the kop are as good as they could realistically be in my opinion. The rake isn't quite as steep as I would like but it's certainly not worth spending the 10s of millions that would be required to rip it out and rebuild form scratch. The pillars are 90% of the visibility issues, once they are gone it's already a massive step.

For me a kop should be a 1 tiered structure with decent but not luxurious amenities, the cheapest area of the ground to buy tickets and the atmosphere generating engine of the stadium.

The existing design coupled with sensible ticketing prices and some innovative schemes to help atmosphere will give us an 'end' worthy of Liverpool's kop and Dortmund's yellow wall.

For me a kop should be a 1 tiered structure with decent but not luxurious amenities, the cheapest area of the ground to buy tickets and the atmosphere generating engine of the stadium.

The existing design coupled with sensible ticketing prices and some innovative schemes to help atmosphere will give us an 'end' worthy of Liverpool's kop and Dortmund's yellow wall.

Exactly, you’ve hit the nail on the head.

The new Kop could make Bramall Lane an iconic stadium.
It would be the biggest Kop amongst old school stadiums in England, bigger than both the Liverpool and Wednesday Kop. Only Spurs new stadium will have a bigger Kop, but that won’t be old school.

These days “old school historical” stadiums are becoming more and more revered.
There’s no more Maine Road, Highbury, White Hart Lane and soon no more Goodison Park.
Bramall Lane and the impressive huge Kop will be give us massive pride and help ensure that we have one of the best (old school) and most famous stadiums in England.

I know the corner “office block” has received criticism but I can see the sense in that too.
The main purpose of the corner between the Kop and South stand is to build a “Visitor Media Centre”.
In the PL we will have loads of outside interest from Sky Sports, radio commentators and journalists.
They will all leave BL being thoroughly impressed perched up there in the corner amongst fantastic facilities with a fantastic view of the pitch and the stadium. On non matchdays these areas can. Be used as offices or meeting rooms.

It also means we regain an extra 200 seats at the back (centre) of the South stand.

The plans for the kop are as good as they could realistically be in my opinion. The rake isn't quite as steep as I would like but it's certainly not worth spending the 10s of millions that would be required to rip it out and rebuild form scratch. The pillars are 90% of the visibility issues, once they are gone it's already a massive step.

This exactly.

The current plans for the extended Kop would increase the capacity to 13,436. That's bigger than Anfield's (12,390) and Hillsborough's (11,210), and almost as big as Dortmund's (14,385 seated from what I can gather).

This exactly.

The current plans for the extended Kop would increase the capacity to 13,436. That's bigger than Anfield's (12,390) and Hillsborough's (11,210), and almost as big as Dortmund's (14,385 seated from what I can gather).

Not forgetting that ticket prices would remain at an affordable level, currently £25 for a match ticket or less than £300 for a ST. Splurging £20m+ on a built from scratch facility would be reflected in ticket prices and certainly wouldn't be coming from McCabe's benevolent fund as many seem to think.

For me a kop should be a 1 tiered structure , with decent but not luxurious amenities the cheapest area of the ground to buy tickets and the atmosphere generating engine of the stadium.

Damn. I suppose that will put the kibosh on the fromagerie.

Back
Top Bottom