Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Went in all those boozers as well mate. Spent a lot of time in the Cutlers when I was about 16/17, used to go to Herdings Youth Club, play some pool and some pinball, go in a sound proof room and play guitars and then go an have a couple of pints of Whitbread Trophy when Joe Senn had the Cutlers. I knew loads of lads in all those pubs.
You wouldnt mess with Joes lad Ian he had presence

Went in all those boozers as well mate. Spent a lot of time in the Cutlers when I was about 16/17, used to go to Herdings Youth Club, play some pool and some pinball, go in a sound proof room and play guitars and then go an have a couple of pints of Whitbread Trophy when Joe Senn had the Cutlers. I knew loads of lads in all those pubs.

I remember playing in the old Sheffield Regional Sunday League against the Cutlers. They used to have a left back who I think was still under the influence from the night before. I was still at school so hadn't really got into the drinking. I used to take the piss out of him which looking back was probably dangerous as his tackles were so late.

In the same team as I played was Kevan Johnson who went on to open the Limit nightclub with George Webster.

Before the Herdings Youth Club was formed this was an old farmhouse and lived in by two brothers, Bernard and Ernest Marsh. They sold up when the estate was built and came to live round the corner from us. Bernard was very quiet and unassuming, but Ernest was a big Unitedite and we would often discuss the match over a pint, often in the Norton Oakes Cricket Club (forgot to mention this watering hole earlier)
When he was younger they would think nothing of walking over the fields to the Blackamoor at Troway for a few pints, and then walk back in darkness over the same fields. Probably a six mile round walk!!
I knew Ernest and Bernard, I played for the Oakes for 40 years and started my drinking at 15, Mansfield bitter wasn’t bad back then. The two brothers would have a half and sit on the balcony before the start of a game and if they saw a lone magpie they would walk all over Oakes Park until they saw another.

Coming from the other end of the estate I frequented the Bagshawe Arms and Cutlers Arms mostly but used to go in all the other estate pubs at one time or another.

Had some ding dong battles with the Bagshaw back in the mid to late '80's, one of the few decent sides around at that time.

Before the Herdings Youth Club was formed this was an old farmhouse and lived in by two brothers, Bernard and Ernest Marsh. They sold up when the estate was built and came to live round the corner from us. Bernard was very quiet and unassuming, but Ernest was a big Unitedite and we would often discuss the match over a pint, often in the Norton Oakes Cricket Club (forgot to mention this watering hole earlier)
When he was younger they would think nothing of walking over the fields to the Blackamoor at Troway for a few pints, and then walk back in darkness over the same fields. Probably a six mile round walk!!

The bloke who lived at the top of our street used to go to Cricket club for a pint nearly every night!

I remember playing in the old Sheffield Regional Sunday League against the Cutlers. They used to have a left back who I think was still under the influence from the night before. I was still at school so hadn't really got into the drinking. I used to take the piss out of him which looking back was probably dangerous as his tackles were so late.

In the same team as I played was Kevan Johnson who went on to open the Limit nightclub with George Webster.

Kevan recently had "The Florentine" or whatever it is called, at Fulwood, actually a few years ago now.

When he tried to reopen "The Limit", in the old nightclub above "Berlins", Arundel Gate, he sent me and the Mrs free membership cards

Big Blade in the 70s called Gibby used to be his local always in the thick of things back in the day

In fact thinking about it, I am sure Gibby's mate at school, called Crabber (Paul Hanstock) is the same Paul Hanstock who used to sponsor the match ball at BDTBL as Paul Hanstock Heating and Plumbing, or something like that. Big Blades area was the Gaunt/Gleadless Valley.

In fact thinking about it, I am sure Gibby's mate at school, called Crabber (Paul Hanstock) is the same Paul Hanstock who used to sponsor the match ball at BDTBL as Paul Hanstock Heating and Plumbing, or something like that. Big Blades area was the Gaunt/Gleadless Valley.
Few Wendy in the Gaunt Paul Senior,Bob Carlisle, Bender etc

My first illegal pint, Samantha's night club, in the same building as the skating rink, I was 14 years old, couldn't get in, so I told the bouncers I was 16 and promised I was only going to drink soft drinks, so they let me in!! Had four pints of rubbish bitter (Websters Pennine I assume) and thought I was so grown up.

View attachment 49710

aye, remember that - Silver Blades upstairs, Tenpin bowls downstairs.

Few Wendy in the Gaunt Paul Senior,Bob Carlisle, Bender etc

Yeah they were the exception rather than the rule, Bob Carlise didn't come to the Valley until late 70's, he was from elsewhere. Paul Senior was from down the bottom, Horse and Groom area. Don't remember him in the Gaunt.

10e5f4f6-c007-46ee-959a-a9f200fd4c9e.jpg

At 15 years old, I went here for the first time (The Limit Club, West Street) to see a live band from London, called Bethnal. As a six footer at school, I could just about pass for 17, which was close enough. I went on to spend almost every Saturday night here for the next three or four years. Saw loads of live bands here, met the wife here, still married all these years later.

View attachment 49711
Didn't Billy Dearden once own that chippy next to the Limit for a few months?

His brother was Mick, I used to hang about with him for a while in the early 80's.
I worked with Mick and Alex for a few years back in the 80s. Mick also bounced at the Limit , couple of others used to work for him too ,we used to all meet up in his kitchen ,there wasn't much room.

I worked with Mick and Alex for a few years back in the 80s. Mick also bounced at the Limit , couple of others used to work for him too ,we used to all meet up in his kitchen ,there wasn't much room.

Yes, always looked forward to Mick working at the Limit, when me and Mrs Grappler (my girlfriend at the time) walked down the stairs he would open the door at the bottom, wink, and say "straight in", no payment needed!

Yes, always looked forward to Mick working at the Limit, when me and Mrs Grappler (my girlfriend at the time) walked down the stairs he would open the door at the bottom, wink, and say "straight in", no payment needed!
I was the same ,except on my 18th birthday when about 30 of us went ,they let everyone in except me ,because I wasn't old enough ,went and had one on my own in the Saddle for half an hour before trinny came and told me to come in :rolleyes:

Woodward at his best.

That day was my first Wendy match. They were playing against Ipswich. I was impressed with the electronic scoreboard they had and it had updates of the Hull v Blades match. I can remember the disappointment that Hull were winning 2-0. Wendy were winning 2-0 too. Then the joy when the Blades fought back to win 3-2. Mick Hill (my dad told me that he used to play for the Blades) pulled a goal back for Ipswich and then Mick Mills made it 2-2 in the final minute!

That day was my first Wendy match. They were playing against Ipswich. I was impressed with the electronic scoreboard they had and it had updates of the Hull v Blades match. I can remember the disappointment that Hull were winning 2-0. Wendy were winning 2-0 too. Then the joy when the Blades fought back to win 3-2. Mick Hill (my dad told me that he used to play for the Blades) pulled a goal back for Ipswich and then Mick Mills made it 2-2 in the final minute!

Bert was at Hull that day, train to the station right next to the ground. You could walk round 3 sides of their ground just like you could at Bramall Lane

Bert was at Hull that day, train to the station right next to the ground. You could walk round 3 sides of their ground just like you could at Bramall Lane
I went to Hull by train in October 1970. I remember the day as if it wasn't long ago.

Back
Top Bottom