Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A bit nasty that for this generally friendly thread.

When we got the ACV on the Plough a bunch of Cherry Tree regulars and the local councillor got in touch. Genuine locals trying to keep their boozer open.

Not sure why you need to wade in with a character assassination of blokes in a pub you've never been in.

Apologies. I wasn’t meaning anything nasty at all, I was trying to be funny but obviously I got that wrong!

I have often driven past and thought how run down it looks though, that’s true. I didn’t know anything about the impending closure. I can fully appreciate why locals would want to keep it open and good luck with that.

The outside appearance of the place lets it down and has done for years. If it looked a bit more inviting it might have a better chance of not only staying open for locals but attracting other passers-by. I think this is really important for any pub, transient trade. If they have good beer or food and can build a reputation for that this would also help.

I drove past today in fact and it looks like they are doing some work on it. Scaffolding on the outside.

I’ll be interested to see how it develops and who knows I may become one of the curious life forms in there myself in the future? ;)

Did you know Graham wright or Alex Maclean ?
Doesn't ring a bell m8. I moved off in 1974 when I got married. My brother would know. Mind you Maclean rings a bell. was he a big muscular guy, but really good-hearted?

Doesn't ring a bell m8. I moved off in 1974 when I got married. My brother would know. Mind you Maclean rings a bell. was he a big muscular guy, but really good-hearted?
Yes him and his brother were bouncers at the Limit ,you didn't mess with them. Alex drove a yellow Rolls Royce which he parked on the flats ,nobody ever touched it. Big blade as well.

A bit nasty that for this generally friendly thread.

When we got the ACV on the Plough a bunch of Cherry Tree regulars and the local councillor got in touch. Genuine locals trying to keep their boozer open.

Not sure why you need to wade in with a character assassination of blokes in a pub you've never been in.
He can't help it.

Yes him and his brother were bouncers at the Limit ,you didn't mess with them. Alex drove a yellow Rolls Royce which he parked on the flats ,nobody ever touched it. Big blade as well.
Sounds like the guy, is dad was Scottish I think.
Alex would have been a bit younger than me.

RIP

Gordon_Banks_and_dog_1965_at_Leicester_v_Man_United.jpg

His brother was Mick, I used to hang about with him for a while in the early 80's.

My first illegal pint, Samantha's night club, in the same building as the skating rink, I was 14 years old, couldn't get in, so I told the bouncers I was 16 and promised I was only going to drink soft drinks, so they let me in!! Had four pints of rubbish bitter (Websters Pennine I assume) and thought I was so grown up.

upload_2019-2-15_12-35-54.jpeg

At 15 years old, I went here for the first time (The Limit Club, West Street) to see a live band from London, called Bethnal. As a six footer at school, I could just about pass for 17, which was close enough. I went on to spend almost every Saturday night here for the next three or four years. Saw loads of live bands here, met the wife here, still married all these years later.

upload_2019-2-15_12-39-0.jpeg

As a 15/16 year old, this was a frequent watering hole, The Nailmakers, near the water tower at the top of Blackstock Road. It was basically like a Youth Club that sold beer and always appeared to be about 75% under age drinkers. A great place to call in on a Saturday night and buy a knocked off joint of beef for your Sunday lunch.

upload_2019-2-15_12-42-17.jpeg

I was born and lived opposite this legendary pub, the John O'Gaunt, at Gleadless Valley. A John Smith's house, that served the best Magnet I ever tasted. You don't often find Magnet in Sheffield, but whenever I have a pint, it is like being 17 all over again.

The estate was tough, as I think everyone knows, and some well know hard nuts came from the area. At one point, a gang of Hells Angels took the pub on and ran it, because literally no one else would.

76194_439ae953.jpg

My first illegal pint, Samantha's night club, in the same building as the skating rink, I was 14 years old, couldn't get in, so I told the bouncers I was 16 and promised I was only going to drink soft drinks, so they let me in!! Had four pints of rubbish bitter (Websters Pennine I assume) and thought I was so grown up.

View attachment 49710

Had some great nights in Samantha's. Used to always drink pints of brown and bitter or Guiness and bitter. Always seem to take the edge off the crap bitter.

As a 15/16 year old, this was a frequent watering hole, The Nailmakers, near the water tower at the top of Blackstock Road. It was basically like a Youth Club that sold beer and always appeared to be about 75% under age drinkers. A great place to call in on a Saturday night and buy a knocked off joint of beef for your Sunday lunch.

View attachment 49712

I think the Nailmakers used to be owned by Yates's which seems to be a completely different company today.

I was born and lived opposite this legendary pub, the John O'Gaunt, at Gleadless Valley. A John Smith's house, that served the best Magnet I ever tasted. You don't often find Magnet in Sheffield, but whenever I have a pint, it is like being 17 all over again.

The estate was tough, as I think everyone knows, and some well know hard nuts came from the area. At one point, a gang of Hells Angels took the pub on and ran it, because literally no one else would.

76194_439ae953.jpg

When I first saw the photo I thought of the Grennel Mower on Lowedges where I did a great deal of my first drinking. Although it was a Tetley's house it looks as though the architects in those days had a template for the pubs being built on those new estates.

76194_439ae953.jpg
Coming from the other end of the estate I frequented the Bagshawe Arms and Cutlers Arms mostly but used to go in all the other estate pubs at one time or another. Far Lees, Wyvern, Blackstock, Horse and Groom as well as the New Inn, not exactly on the estate but near enough. God, they were shit but I loved them anyway.

Coming from the other end of the estate I frequented the Bagshawe Arms and Cutlers Arms mostly but used to go in all the other estate pubs at one time or another. Far Lees, Wyvern, Blackstock, Horse and Groom as well as the New Inn, not exactly on the estate but near enough. God, they were shit but I loved them anyway.

Went in all those boozers as well mate. Spent a lot of time in the Cutlers when I was about 16/17, used to go to Herdings Youth Club, play some pool and some pinball, go in a sound proof room and play guitars and then go an have a couple of pints of Whitbread Trophy when Joe Senn had the Cutlers. I knew loads of lads in all those pubs.

Went in all those boozers as well mate. Spent a lot of time in the Cutlers when I was about 16/17, used to go to Herdings Youth Club, play some pool and some pinball, go in a sound proof room and play guitars and then go an have a couple of pints of Whitbread Trophy when Joe Senn had the Cutlers. I knew loads of lads in all those pubs.
Before the Herdings Youth Club was formed this was an old farmhouse and lived in by two brothers, Bernard and Ernest Marsh. They sold up when the estate was built and came to live round the corner from us. Bernard was very quiet and unassuming, but Ernest was a big Unitedite and we would often discuss the match over a pint, often in the Norton Oakes Cricket Club (forgot to mention this watering hole earlier)
When he was younger they would think nothing of walking over the fields to the Blackamoor at Troway for a few pints, and then walk back in darkness over the same fields. Probably a six mile round walk!!

View attachment 49712
Big Blade in the 70s called Gibby used to be his local always in the thick of things back in the day

Back
Top Bottom