CONFIRMED Mason Holgate

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The lads had a terrific agent over the years, I'll give him that. To be getting paid about £70k a week for a player with his 'limitations' is a supreme effort by the agent with a ridiculously stupid club in Everton.

Are we seriously still interested in him? Hopefully recruitment has moved on and we are looking for players to actually improve the squad.

Last knocking and Chris is running his mate Shaun Dyche.

“C’mon Shaun, there must be someone you don’t want!”

I wouldn't be totally against us signing Holgate if we were still playing 3 at the back. But we're not. I don't recall him ever having a good spell in his career at CB in a back 4. Add in the fact that he's struggling to get game time at a Championship side. I don't see how he makes us stronger.

I don’t know much about him to be honest.

He’s a local lad. He’s played a fair few seasons until late in the Premier League and did especially well under Ancelotti.

Not sure why his stock seems to have fallen so much. He’s not big for someone who we are looking at for centre half.

I saw Yerry Mina is on the bench at Fiorentina. Worth a look? At least he has played a few seasons at this level and is 1.95m.

Advantage is he’s already scored for us once as well!

Everton will only accept Stuttgart for a loan.

Only option we have is if we buy which would be a huge risk.

Nexttttt

I’m trying to stay as positive as I can during this debacle of a season but this signing would be the straw that broke the camels back! I’ve seen him play twice recently and he has been absolutely awful……worse than our defenders, and that’s saying something 🙈

There is a good player in there in Holgate somewhere. You don't get Ancelotti singing your praises if you can't defend. Not shown it for a while now though but he is still young enough to get back to them levels.

I wouldn't be totally against us signing Holgate if we were still playing 3 at the back. But we're not. I don't recall him ever having a good spell in his career at CB in a back 4. Add in the fact that he's struggling to get game time at a Championship side. I don't see how he makes us stronger.
He doesn't. We're desperate.

Does anyone else think it's weird that Everton see us as a relegation rival still?

We've got to really pick up results to be in that position.

Unless Everton are seriously concerned about another points deduction?

Unless Everton are seriously concerned about another points deduction?
I am in touch with three Everton season ticket holders. Yes, they are worried but a friend I am seeing today isn't a season ticket holder as he is from South Yorkshire was less worried when I last saw him

TalkSport just now - "I'm told Mason Holgate to Sheffield United, that is happening."

Oh fuck

5m ago12:22

Holgate set for Sheff Utd medical​

Latest from Sky Sports News' Tim Thornton:
Mason Holgate is expected to undergo a medical at Sheffield United this afternoon.
The centre-back is currently on loan at Southampton but has not been playing.
United manager Chris Wilder has been determined to sign a centre-back before the deadline.

I'm trying to be optimistic about this signing, I've met the lad before in Bawtry and he seemed like a very decent bloke. I'm just not sure if he offers us any improvement in this area. His defending seems to be on par with Anel at this level, but at least Anel can offer us something going forward. That said, Wilder has been keen on this lad for a very long time so maybe he sees something he can develop and coach. I really hope he comes good if he signs with us.

Reactions: ljk
So he hasn't signed for us yet people are already slamming the club and going on and on about how he is going to fail for us. 😴

Why not wait until he has actually played for us before judging him.
Yeah we’ve seen him play before that’s why

Can only assume we have an option to buy at a decent price otherwise I fail to see the point. As someone said above surely much better to give one of our youngsters, I.e. Sam Curtis some game tim, have to think ahead surely

Not that I’ve taken a great deal of notice of him but the odd time I’ve seen a Everton game he has looked alright but bit of a worry he’s not been great for Southampton and can’t get into the team, just saw his stats, played 5 games for them and won 6 tackles in total in those games. A centre half winning basically 1 tackle a game is a big worry, what we really need is someone to win tackles which we are severely lacking. I suppose those stats will go up significantly though because of how much we and him will be under the cosh. I’m willing to give him a go so fingers crossed he’s a success.

For me it just feels like a complete waste of money. He’s going to be on big wages, we’ll cover most of that over the next 5 months.

We’re probably spending £1m on someone that makes no difference to us long term.

We’re basically down (I’m sure Wilder doesn’t think we are but we are) I’d rather use the money on a permanent.

For me it just feels like a complete waste of money. He’s going to be on big wages, we’ll cover most of that over the next 5 months.

We’re probably spending £1m on someone that makes no difference to us long term.

We’re basically down (I’m sure Wilder doesn’t think we are but we are) I’d rather use the money on a permanent.
Yep exactly most pointless signing ever. I don’t even think there’s a buy option included so it really is a waste of time.

Can only assume we have an option to buy at a decent price otherwise I fail to see the point. As someone said above surely much better to give one of our youngsters, I.e. Sam Curtis some game tim, have to think ahead surely
Curtis is 18 and he'll get his chance at some point, keep seeing people saying Curtis can play RB as well as CB and that Holgate could cover CDM if required so they won't provide competition for each other.

Back
Top Bottom