January Transfer Window

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

i think we might go for kiefer moore in january if we can send a couple of loans back know loads on here dont rate him but i like the guy hes big physical and better on the ground than lots give him credit for i think hes a typical type of sheffield united target man

Can't see Mr Wilder coming back without having full control on who stays and a few bob to spend. He's been around the Championship a bit and seen a few players up close along with his partner Alan Knill. I think we are going to see one or two at least ins and out in the dressing room in January.....👍👍👍

That's my worry....

Last lot of Championship players he signed were a bit shite.

That's my worry....

Last lot of Championship players he signed were a bit shite.
It's been those so called Championship players that have got us up here the last twice, and I don't have a clue what players your expecting the club to be in the market for unless it's loans,
But good luck any way ........ ;)

It's been those so called Championship players that have got us up here the last twice, and I don't have a clue what players your expecting the club to be in the market for unless it's loans,
But good luck any way ........ ;)

Thats the issue, we don't need to get here now, we're already here.

We need players that can keep us here, not get us here.

I'm not expecting a lot due to the difficulties of the January window in general and our lack of funds but Wilder has said we'll try to "wheel and deal" so here's what I'd focus on.

Given we've played 4atb in Wilder's first two games I think the big holes in our squad are:
  • Target man when McBurnie is out. I like Osula but we've relied on him far too much this season. Jebbison has been injured but like Osula he's young and not yet ready for this level. Archer is smart and can cope physically but doesn't have the size.
  • CB cover/competition. With Egan and Basham out we have none on the bench
  • Wingers. Specifically mentioned by Wilder in his first interview. Archer and McAtee are the only ones who can really play there. Traore might be suited to it but he's not shown that he can do it at this level yet.
  • Midfield competition/cover for Hamer & Souza. We could really use some more athletic players in the centre of the pitch who can be defensively responsible. Davies seemed like he might fit the bill but he's out long term.

So in a perfect world I'd be looking for 1 or 2 wingers, a striker, a centre mid and a centre back. That feels like a lot to do in Jan so personally I'd prioritise winger and CB as we at least have numbers in midfield and striker even if we don't have the quality.

Where can we trim?
  • Left back. Trusty, Lowe, Larouci, Thomas, Osborn and RND can all play LB and/or LWB. Even Bogle/Baldock can do it if needed. As others have said, given they're not ours and not first choice I'd send Thomas & Larouci back and look to use those loans elsewhere.
  • Centre mid? To varying degrees there are question marks over Osborn, Norwood and Fleck. I'm happy enough with all of them as deeper squad members but none should really be first off the bench. There's fitness issues there as well and I wouldn't be surprised if any of them were allowed to leave. Don't know what people at the club think about Coulibaly but he turns 23 soon and has been involved so little that I don't really get why he's here.
  • Striker? Jebbison's contract is up at the end of the year and I think he might want to look for first team opportunities elsewhere. Not sure what his injury has been or if he's close and I think the club will try to keep him so I don't think he leaves in Jan. Ideally he'd get fit, sign a new deal and probably go on loan to a championship side but I'd be fine keeping him in the squad if we can't get a striker in/have other priorities. Brewster's injuries have made him almost a non-asset. If fit I still think he's a good championship striker but he's been out so much that no one is going to take a risk and pay the kind of fee he's probably worth. He's also on a contract till 2025 so I don't think anyone comes in for him.

A loan for RND to a top L1 side would be a smart move

Needs to play regularly ASAP to rebuild his condition and confidence. The level is not all that important

I'm not expecting a lot due to the difficulties of the January window in general and our lack of funds but Wilder has said we'll try to "wheel and deal" so here's what I'd focus on.

Given we've played 4atb in Wilder's first two games I think the big holes in our squad are:
  • Target man when McBurnie is out. I like Osula but we've relied on him far too much this season. Jebbison has been injured but like Osula he's young and not yet ready for this level. Archer is smart and can cope physically but doesn't have the size.
  • Wingers. Specifically mentioned by Wilder in his first interview. Archer and McAtee are the only ones who can really play there. Traore might be suited to it but he's not shown that he can do it at this level yet.
  • Midfield competition/cover for Hamer & Souza. We could really use some more athletic players in the centre of the pitch who can be defensively responsible. Davies seemed like he might fit the bill but he's out long term.

So in a perfect world I'd be looking for 1 or 2 wingers, a striker, a centre mid and a centre back. That feels like a lot to do in Jan so personally I'd prioritise winger and CB as we at least have numbers in midfield and striker even if we don't have the quality.

Where can we trim?
  • Left back. Trusty, Lowe, Larouci, Thomas, Osborn and RND can all play LB and/or LWB. Even Bogle/Baldock can do it if needed. As others have said, given they're not ours and not first choice I'd send Thomas & Larouci back and look to use those loans elsewhere.
  • Centre mid? To varying degrees there are question marks over Osborn, Norwood and Fleck. I'm happy enough with all of them as deeper squad members but none should really be first off the bench. There's fitness issues there as well and I wouldn't be surprised if any of them were allowed to leave. Don't know what people at the club think about Coulibaly but he turns 23 soon and has been involved so little that I don't really get why he's here.
  • Striker? Jebbison's contract is up at the end of the year and I think he might want to look for first team opportunities elsewhere. Not sure what his injury has been or if he's close and I think the club will try to keep him so I don't think he leaves in Jan. Ideally he'd get fit, sign a new deal and probably go on loan to a championship side but I'd be fine keeping him in the squad if we can't get a striker in/have other priorities. Brewster's injuries have made him almost a non-asset. If fit I still think he's a good championship striker but he's been out so much that no one is going to take a risk and pay the kind of fee he's probably worth. He's also on a contract till 2025 so I don't think anyone comes in for him.

I think it's general consensus (unofficially albeit) that Jebbo has already told the club he won't be signing a new contract...

I think it's general consensus (unofficially albeit) that Jebbo has already told the club he won't be signing a new contract...
Why? He’s been given chances and when he’s missed chances it’s been because he’s been unavailable for selection due to being injured.

Seems an odd approach. He’s 20 anyway so he’s not wandering off for nothing any time soon.

Where can we trim?
Nicely thought out post.

In an ideal world assuming we will persevere with this system tend to agree with a lot of your thoughts.

We’re never overly flush for cash though. So perhaps there won’t be huge turnover.

Osula is doing his best. Having a similar player to McBurnie to play a physical central role with some experience would be an obvious immediate thought. This would mean Osula makes fleeting appearances or he goes to play more games somewhere else. Same with Jebbo, if he’s available again. Ending the season in the final 6 months in the Championship could be good for both of them. So someone like Moore or some foreign loan in and Jebbo/Osula out. Can’t rely on Brewster’s fitness. Anything from him is a bonus.

If you fix your mind on Trusty being left back in this new system then Cashin would be a great investment. A left footer who can ensure that Trusty doesn’t need to move from LB every time a centre back is out. We also have Lowe and there will be less pressure on Norrington-Davies. That means Thomas can return. It also means Larouci could, though I have thoughts on him further down.

For wingers, I do think there may be options within the squad that we could revisit. Slimane proved that he can be versatile. He could play as part of a front three. Though it didn’t fall for him, he already has shown he can get into scoring positions. So he’s an option. Traore is an obvious option too, wide at least. Then there is Larouci. Remember he started as a winger. I wonder if he goes back there. As a winger he’d be defensively better than most for when we don’t have the ball but he has seemed a decent ball carrier going forwards if you think back to the OG at Fulham. If money is tight those could be options.

As much as I’m ok with Brooks, Souza and Hamer these last three, you know you’re bringing in a shortarse who is either weak or slow or both if any are unavailable i.e Osborn, Norwood or Fleck. Someone there would be my third option. I’d rather leave Arblaster getting games but an all rounder like peak Lundstram would seem ok. Someone fit who can get up and down. Not a dickhead like him of course!

It is late to be replacing your number one keeper but at some point someone who is less prone to do daft things wouldn’t hurt, like Saturday with Maupay or the Bournemouth game.

So, as little as three for me but I can see Chris being more ruthless and getting a proper winger in and sending Larouci back.

Heard this too

I heard he’s not injured or ill but frozen out due to these contract issues. I don’t know if it’s true or would even make sense to do that from the clubs point of view but that’s what I’ve heard.

Heard this too

I heard he’s not injured or ill but frozen out due to these contract issues. I don’t know if it’s true or would even make sense to do that from the clubs point of view but that’s what I’ve heard.
Looks like your info is wrong Wilder made a comment that Jebbo close to a return to the squad.
This is not like the Ndiah situation way back 3 years ago.
Ndiah was an unknown where as Jebbo seems to have suitors.
Freezing him out would just drive him out,naybe Wilder can help to tye him down.

Looks like your info is wrong Wilder made a comment that Jebbo close to a return to the squad.
This is not like the Ndiah situation way back 3 years ago.
Ndiah was an unknown where as Jebbo seems to have suitors.
Freezing him out would just drive him out,naybe Wilder can help to tye him down.
Maybe, most probably is cos I can’t see how freezing him out benefits anyone.
Guy I heard it from knows stuff though so who knows, we’ll see I suppose.
My two penneth is I’m not convinced he’s gonna be the next to DCL like some are to be honest, I see more promise in Osula but there seems to be an unwarranted hype around Jebbo.

Exactly that.
mcburnie has to be read the riot act by chris although im not a fan of his i think we need him in this period and was showing signs of developing a partnership with archer im not a fan of archer out wide left when we go 433 much prefer him central close to another striker

mcburnie has to be read the riot act by chris although im not a fan of his i think we need him in this period and was showing signs of developing a partnership with archer im not a fan of archer out wide left when we go 433 much prefer him central close to another striker
The only reason we need a big cunt is because this big cunt can’t string 10 games together without getting injured or suspended.

The Prince has proven to be a gambler in the past. He's cleared the debt and has 18 players out of contract, some on big wages, that he can release in the summer and clear a massive chunk off the wage bill. If we stay up that's a minimum of another 150m quid. Does he spend 15-30m to try and secure that but not leave us in a perilous position if we go down? I think he might with Wilder here and performances picking up.

Whichever division we are in next season we have the nucleus of a young squad and some experience in Anel, Trusty, Bogle, Souza, Brooks, Arblaster, Hamer, Slimane, Archer, Seriki, Jebbo ( possibly) If you then add MvBurnie, Robinson, RND (hopefully) plus players I would personally get rid of but may be needed Egan, Osbourn and Lowe.

Three or four new players added to those above might help us stay up but if not would add to the core of the team tjst aims to come back up

Back
Top Bottom