Has Hecky got what it takes? - Poll

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Should Hecky stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 254 49.5%
  • Go

Votes: 155 30.2%
  • One last chance at BL against Man United

Votes: 104 20.3%

• Total voters

The factor that no one seems to realise is we're on the verge of having new owners.

When the Prince tries to appoint a new manager, it's like a manager Heckingbottom managing to persuade a player to come and join him at Bramall Lane.
He tells the player we have big plans for you and tells him the tactics that he'll use the get the best out of him.
Then the players agent says....you might like Hecky but you do realise he'll be gone next month, so they'll have a new manager.

We are in the same situation regarding owners.

Logic suggest the Prince will have zero interest in our long term future, he's only bothered about this season and paying out as little as possible.
Would think the Prince will be looking for bring in someone currently on the scrap heap who is so desperate they are willing to accept a 8 month contract.

This would be a positive for any new owner because when they arrive they can bring in their own manager and don't need to pay out compensation.
On the verge of having new owners?I hadn't heard that,last I heard was nothing forthcoming.

If most on here have not run a business then, yes.
I suspect however that several have and many who haven’t would come to the same conclusion.
So your saying you know exactly what the prince is thinking and doing behind the scenes because you have run a business, absolute rubbish. None of us know what he's thinking with Hecky. You come across as though what you say is gospel when you know nothing at all.

He was sacked with Soton bottom of the league.
So why do you describe him as a "definite upgrade" on Hecky? Southampton fans got sick of him. Would his famous 4-2-2-2 formation work for us? All just questions - I'm willing to be swayed.

Though should say I voted for Hecky. Good man, has done fantastically for us and I find it hard to blame him for anything currently (unless he's secretly injuring everyone).

So no matter what you was happy to lose the first 10 games in a row. So I bet you’ll be over the moon if we have 1 point.

Our performances are what should be the key indicators right now not results. Both are horrific.

Obviously I’m not happy to see my team lose in any circumstance, but did you look at those fixtures, and our available players and think we were in for an easy ride?

Yes the performances aren’t great, but we are suffering a freak alignment of negatives that would impact even the strongest willed player, going back to preseason.

• Our star player refused to sign
  • Our other big name seems to have been forced out
  • We’ve had injuries like no other team
  • We miss out beating Spurs due to new rules
  • A key player and personality in Maddy died unexpectedly (a personal friend of mine)
  • We collapse against Newcastle
  • Bash has a horror injury
  • And here’s the key, all this is under greater scrutiny in the most watched league on the planet

Star players can hide in teams if they suffer, as there’s ten other stars waiting to fill in as needed. We don’t have that luxury.

Now we have people saying it’s Hecky’s fault.

Who the fuck is going to come in a do better with a threadbare squad low on confidence that’s within our tiny budget?

Maybe instead of calling for change, open your eyes and accept where we are.

This season was never going to be a cake walk, even without the constant issues to deal with listed above.

Obviously I’m not happy to see my team lose in any circumstance, but did you look at those fixtures, and our available players and think we were in for an easy ride?

Yes the performances aren’t great, but we are suffering a freak alignment of negatives that would impact even the strongest willed player, going back to preseason.

• Our star player refused to sign
  • Our other big name seems to have been forced out
  • We’ve had injuries like no other team
  • We miss out beating Spurs due to new rules
  • A key player and personality in Maddy died unexpectedly (a personal friend of mine)
  • We collapse against Newcastle
  • Bash has a horror injury
  • And here’s the key, all this is under greater scrutiny in the most watched league on the planet

Star players can hide in teams if they suffer, as there’s ten other stars waiting to fill in as needed. We don’t have that luxury.

Now we have people saying it’s Hecky’s fault.

Who the fuck is going to come in a do better with a threadbare squad low on confidence that’s within our tiny budget?

Maybe instead of calling for change, open your eyes and accept where we are.

This season was never going to be a cake walk, even without the constant issues to deal with listed above.
Sorry to hear about your friend.

But yes I think we should be doing a lot better. It’s not just results the performances have been absolutely awful. I can deal with losing to Fulham 3-1 but it’s the manner that it could have been 6-1 and I wouldn’t have complained.

I'd go for an interim manager if and when we do. It will be nigh on impossible to avoid relegation, so the new man will be incredibly tainted by the start of next season.

By that rationale Hecky was "incredibly tainted" following the 20/21 season. I think basically nobody in the football world would actually think that way.

By that rationale Hecky was "incredibly tainted" following the 20/21 season. I think basically nobody in the football world would actually think that way.
I think the fans would. There would be no new manager bounce. Hecky didn’t get the job after taking us down.

I’d still go the temporary route, trying something offbeat with nothing to lose.

We’ve been very fortunate to have two outstanding managers in recent times - both got us to the Prem with relatively limited resources. That’s two out of how many since Bassett? Why on earth would we contemplate binning Hecky, who shows no sign of throwing the towel in.

Likewise the players, yes, short on quality but not on desire. Hecky has been dealt a duff hand, with a weaker squad than he had in the Championship, thrown together far too late. He saw what was coming, hence wanted to keep last season’s group together. Blaming him for failings elsewhere is madness. That’s before you get onto ‘who’ might believably do a better job with the current squad.

Relegation was highly likely before a ball was kicked. It’s now 1/4 according to the bookies. Rather than spinning the wheel on a new manager we should get behind the one we’ve got, back the team and start planning with one eye on next season.

So your saying you know exactly what the prince is thinking and doing behind the scenes because you have run a business, absolute rubbish. None of us know what he's thinking with Hecky. You come across as though what you say is gospel when you know nothing at all.
Read what I said again. I have not indicated what the owner is thinking but just commented on the general point about contingency planning.
I am no more in the picture than any of us, but at least I avoid being personally abusive.

Read what I said again. I have not indicated what the owner is thinking but just commented on the general point about contingency planning.
I am no more in the picture than any of us, but at least I avoid being personally abusive.
Maybe you need to read it again. You said we don't have the level of finance to replace. How do you know? I was just posing questions similar to yourself. You indicated you knew more about what contingency plans the club had in place for replacing managers. I'm just saying you don't. I don't agree with your last line at all. I think it's best to leave it there.

Paul Heckinbottom is not the problem. The reason he wanted to keep all the players from the Championship, was because he knew that the budget would not provide enough quality to be competitive in the EPL. He also knew that the required intensity levels would lead to a similar injury situation that we have now.
The currrent playing staff are not good enough, so they need to be fitter and more capable. This leads to injuries, and he wanted players he knew he could rely on, without breaking the bank.

The responsibility for our current situation lies with the Prince and his board of yes men. The Prince gave Heck a recruiting remit. Buy younger players, with the known likleyhood that we would end up iback in the championship, with a viable squad, and the money to improve it.

The answer is not to sack and replace PH. The answer is for the Prince to sell, and for a new owner to give PH a chance to prove himself.

New owner and new board required. If PH still can’t cut it, then, and only then,replace him.

Warnock is too old.
Hassenhutl and Wilder are proven failures.

Start again.

Currently 50% think he has what it takes. Amazing. Astonishing.

How can so many people but in one forum all be this deluded.
I think most are acknowledging that if you send someone with a knife to a gunfight, their survival night not be entirely down to how well they wield a knife!

For me, now is the time to close ranks and pull together. Having further division when we know resources are what they are isn't going to benefit us.

Last edited:
I think most are acknowledging that if you send someone with a knife to a gunfight, their survival night not be entirely down to how well they wield a knife!

For me, now is the time to close ranks and pull together. Having further division when we know resources are what they are isn't going to benefit us.
I believe it’s hard to pull together when it’s our effort is so lacking.

To use your analogy we are with a knife that isn’t the greatest but then we lay down with a big sign towards us saying we are here we won’t try and stop you.

That’s the issue everyone has. Everyone thinks Hecky is a nice guy but we all know he’s promoted with someone else tactics and someone else team.

No one expects us to beat Man Utd but we expect to make it really difficult for them.

Perhaps dramatic, but I’d go with the one last chance versus Man Utd.

We need some sort of spark or positivity from it. Ideally a result.

If not, the mood is going to be horrendous and won’t be helped by Arsenal away. Meaning we go into a 6 pointer versus Wolves with the fans on little enthusiasm… which in turn will mean we’ll probably end up losing that as that atmosphere will be shit.

This is why our start to the season was so key (not Hecky’s fault given the snail pace transfer dealings). Inertia kicks-in quickly and it’s hard to find a way back when you’re losing each week. The same happened under Wilder, where we started that season playing ok and being unlucky with results… it quickly ran away from us.

The issue we have is our squad simply isn’t good enough. We’ve recruited badly in the summer & we lost our best player that pretty much carried us up.

The other issue is the football is bloody terrible to watch, we just sit back for the full 90 minutes in an attempt to frustrate the opposing team, however, we can’t defend.

If we sack Hecky now then I can’t see anybody else making a difference, the only person that would understand the clubs, style of play & squad immediately is Wilder but that feels like a massive step back.

The issue we have is our squad simply isn’t good enough. We’ve recruited badly in the summer & we lost our best player that pretty much carried us up.

The other issue is the football is bloody terrible to watch, we just sit back for the full 90 minutes in an attempt to frustrate the opposing team, however, we can’t defend.

If we sack Hecky now then I can’t see anybody else making a difference, the only person that would understand the clubs, style of play & squad immediately is Wilder but that feels like a massive step back.
How is Wilder a step back? The man has out performed Hecky in every single aspect.

Heckys greatest achievement is taking a relegated side (sold 1 player) and got promoted with basically the same team that when at its best can go 9th in PL.

Wilder got a team promoted to the PL with a side that cost like £5m from league one with no parachute money.

I understand if you dislike Wilder for how he left but to compare them managerially is beyond belief.

How is Wilder a step back? The man has out performed Hecky in every single aspect.

Heckys greatest achievement is taking a relegated side (sold 1 player) and got promoted with basically the same team that when at its best can go 9th in PL.

Wilder got a team promoted to the PL with a side that cost like £5m from league one with no parachute money.

I understand if you dislike Wilder for how he left but to compare them managerially is beyond belief.
Wilder did a great job. The season finishing 9th before O’Connell got injured was magical, especially pre-covid. Let me say that first.

But then look at how it was left I.e. the most recent seasons:

Hecky got more points per game than Wilder did in Wilder’s final season. That same team as you mention, it finished 20th and was awful.

He then got more points when getting promoted in second than Wilder did when he got United promoted originally.

So it depends on your criteria when comparing.

Plus, inheriting a team that was relegated with no wins from the first 16, sleepwalking under Slav, keeping those players and adding none, I’m not sure how that somehow qualifies as having a great team. That team was shot. Hecky gave some youth a chance, made smart loan signings and went close twice. He also had a transfer embargo to deal with and two failed takeovers.

Let’s not pretend it was the players that Wilder left that made Hecky’s team. The stars the first season were Gibbs-White Berge and Ndiaye, so two who had no place under Wilder. The stars that second season were Ndiaye again, McAtee, Doyle and Ahmedhodzic. You could add Norwood and McBurnie too for a period, but the point is Hecky didn’t just take Wilder’s XI, set it on auto pilot and that was it. He had a fair amount to contend with including virtually no room to shape the squad other than last minute loan deals.

Whether Hecky deals with the situation now as well as what Wilder might is a question and you could argue Chris didn’t do so well when last in this predicament. But let’s not dismiss Hecky’s achievement through adversity as akin to putting your Football Management game on auto and just coasting through.

Either way we are going down. It’s just a question of what shape we can be in for next season barring some sort of Dave Bassett Nottm Forest 3-2 revival.

Paul Heckinbottom is not the problem. The reason he wanted to keep all the players from the Championship, was because he knew that the budget would not provide enough quality to be competitive in the EPL. He also knew that the required intensity levels would lead to a similar injury situation that we have now.
The currrent playing staff are not good enough, so they need to be fitter and more capable. This leads to injuries, and he wanted players he knew he could rely on, without breaking the bank.

The responsibility for our current situation lies with the Prince and his board of yes men. The Prince gave Heck a recruiting remit. Buy younger players, with the known likleyhood that we would end up iback in the championship, with a viable squad, and the money to improve it.

The answer is not to sack and replace PH. The answer is for the Prince to sell, and for a new owner to give PH a chance to prove himself.

New owner and new board required. If PH still can’t cut it, then, and only then,replace him.

Warnock is too old.
Hassenhutl and Wilder are proven failures.

Start again.

Why is Warnock too old? He may be in his 70s but he has a remarkable record for saving "sinking "ships.In no way am i saying he could but all other names being bandied about aren't realistic, money wise or bearing in mind our precarious position.However if the club are convinced we're going down,may as well keep Hecky,I.M.H.O.

I am indifferent as it doesn't make a difference considering the amount of injuries we have. He is mostly to blame for those injuries given his record at previous clubs. Easy to throw shade at the Prince for the way the summer window went but let's be right Hecky appears to be damaging clubs assets with these injuries. No amount of signings are going to fix that. Getting a new head of performance in from Preston appears to have changed fuck all. I'd like to hear from Bettis on how this "injury investigation" is going.

Based on the injury crisis alone he should probably go. That said anyone new will have to deal with with injury chaos anyway.

Back
Top Bottom