Has Hecky got what it takes? - Poll

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Should Hecky stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 254 49.5%
  • Go

Votes: 155 30.2%
  • One last chance at BL against Man United

Votes: 104 20.3%

• Total voters

Slim Man

Reaction score
Just want to garner the general opinion on Hecky now the dust has settled from another loss and people have had time to reflect.

Despite the rumours it doesn't look like he's going yet at least. Personally, I think he needs to go cos he doesn't have the tactical nous to make us competitive, nevermind keep us up. And team spirit looks on the floor - as soon as we go a goal down the heads drop.
And particularly with the tactics it's his inability or stubbornness to change from a 5 at the back, as well as his awful use of subs.

And with that you have the injury record (take out the freak injuries if you want, it's still a terrible record of muscle injuries that is much worse than other teams in both leagues we've been in). We always seem to be patched up with minimal bench options, not that Hecky would know how to use them.

I wanted to give him the season, I really did. But I didn't forsee an 8-0 defeat at home and what would follow. That changes everything.
We look devoid of ideas, spirit and fight. Nevermind staying up, nevermind beating Derby's record, at this rate I don't know where the next point is coming from.

Hecky is a great bloke, and props to him for last season, but I think it was clear at the time and more so now that was heavily reliant on Ndiaye's magic, or the fact he could take 3 men with him who were trying to keep him quiet. We simply don't have that now, and barring from pumping it up to McBurnie we are totally clueless on how we can progress up the pitch.
From January, every team in and around us - we lost to. Luton at home, Boro at home, Burnley away.

We aren't cut adrift, and it's only October, but we are already down in all but status if we keep things like it is.

Totally agree. Unfortunately as i like the fellow, I think it's time he went. I might like PH but I like SUFC more and it needs a new man at the helm to see what he can do to try and give us a fighting chance and make us competitive. The longer it goes on with PH and United taking defeat after defeat, the longer we will resemble a punch drunk fighter. Need that change now but I don't think it will happen and PH we will all just have to soldier on. I already can't wait for this season to end and have really enjoyed this weekend gone without United pissing on my chips. Feckin football.

Bloke has 12 players missing and has pretty much not upgraded and just replaced what he lost, arguably not quite to the level given Ndiaye's match winning ability.

After these next two we have some fixtures I would hope to pick up points in.

If games vs Man U and Arsenal are going to tip you for and against then you've already made up your mind! Anything from either of these two would be a godsend.

The fixtures have been shit and the writing off of the first two games has proved calamitous for our points total.

I would see some opportunities before year end to get some points on the board. It just depends if the others remain in such a quagmire or whether us getting going will be too late.

Just depends what shape the squad can be in at that stage. Certainly 1 point from 30 must have been people's worst nightmare in terms of starts.

Bloke has 12 players missing and has pretty much not upgraded and just replaced what he lost, arguably not quite to the level given Ndiaye's match winning ability.

After these next two we have some fixtures I would hope to pick up points in.

If games vs Man U and Arsenal are going to tip you for and against then you've already made up your mind! Anything from either of these two would be a godsend.

The fixtures have been shit and the writing off of the first two games has proved calamitous for our points total.

I would see some opportunities before year end to get some points on the board. It just depends if the others remain in such a quagmire or whether us getting going will be too late.

Just depends what shape the squad can be in at that stage. Certainly 1 point from 30 must have been people's worst nightmare in terms of starts.
He has 12 players missing, but he always has about 12 players missing. That's the problem.

We've played Everton at home and Fulham away, and let's be honest West Ham have started quite well but they have Europe to content with and are no great shakes.

Unfortunately we can't play Luton 38 times this season, and going off last season's average against them that would still only leave us with 19 points.

Asking anyone to get something from some of these fixtures with a sub standard squad crippled by injuries is a huge ask.

I’d say if we’re still struggling against the teams around us then yes a rethink is needed.

It might be too late by then, but when we’ve entered the league expecting to go down then there’s no time limit.

However, limp and painful performances need to change, even if we still lose.

I dont expect to get anything form Man Utd but we have to show some fight and passion, not roll over and get our bellies tickled, If that isnt there then there is obviously a problem and unfortunately i think Hecky will lose his job if that is the case.

But as fans we really need to get behind the team, make it loud, make it intimidating and give the players the backing they need.

We will lose the next 4 games in my opinion. Not sure what is going on upstairs, but there is a complete void of any information from the club which worries me. Are they just going to sit it out with Hecky and burden the club with more terrible records of failure to our name, just to collect the money from the Prem, or are they proactively looking what can be done to change the current malaise? No one knows, or no one is telling. As dire a situation as I have known for many years.
Unfortunately Hecky and his assistants do not have the nous to turn this round imo. So we need to look elsewhere, if only to put up a spirited display before what looks inevitable failure. Hecky deserves a deal, back to U21s coach, where his abilities are excellent. But would he accept this? Time will tell but its running out fast. I had a ticket from friend for the clock end at Arsenal. I turned it down, we will get thumped, I couldn't face watching it sat with a load of gooners.

We will lose the next 4 games in my opinion. Not sure what is going on upstairs, but there is a complete void of any information from the club which worries me. Are they just going to sit it out with Hecky and burden the club with more terrible records of failure to our name, just to collect the money from the Prem, or are they proactively looking what can be done to change the current malaise? No one knows, or no one is telling. As dire a situation as I have known for many years.
Unfortunately Hecky and his assistants do not have the nous to turn this round imo. So we need to look elsewhere, if only to put up a spirited display before what looks inevitable failure. Hecky deserves a deal, back to U21s coach, where his abilities are excellent. But would he accept this? Time will tell but its running out fast. I had a ticket from friend for the clock end at Arsenal. I turned it down, we will get thumped, I couldn't face watching it sat with a load of gooners.
I'm incredibly disappointed at how this season is looking, but "As dire a situation as I have known for many years" - really?

Interesting that we're now at only 57% in favour of Hecky staying.

Presumably that number has dropped fairly consistently since the start of the season and if/when it goes below 50%, you'd have to say that there is not much in favour of him staying if the majority of fans want him out. If the club had that data they may see that as breaking point.

I doubt Hecky would move backwards.

But perhaps he could move upstairs and look at everything football apart from the first XI. Academy aim for A status, scouting, everything. But it would almost spell an end to hsi managerial career. If he was late 50s, perhaps he's fancy that. But mid-forties. Not so sure.

I'm incredibly disappointed at how this season is looking, but "As dire a situation as I have known for many years" - really?
Let's see how you feel after the next 4 games. I predict 1 point from the 1st 12 games unless Wolves have on off day, and a hammering at Arsenal. I really hope you're right and I'm wrong. It's just how I see it. And the virtual media blackout? What are your thoughts, seriously?
We are devoid of a system that works, and the recent events with Maddy Cusak, Basham and our worst ever defeat in history have sent the club into a tailspin. The worst for me is that the team spirit is at the lowest level for many years. We have always had a bunker mentality in the past when things go bad. This seems to be missing this time.

Let's see how you feel after the next 4 games. I predict 1 point from the 1st 12 games unless Wolves have on off day, and a hammering at Arsenal. I really hope you're right and I'm wrong. It's just how I see it. And the virtual media blackout? What are your thoughts, seriously?
We are devoid of a system that works, and the recent events with Maddy Cusak, Basham and our worst ever defeat in history have sent the club into a tailspin. The worst for me is that the team spirit is at the lowest level for many years. We have always had a bunker mentality in the past when things go bad. This seems to be missing this time.
I entirely agree about things this season. It's going to be terrible. But;

I expected to get relegated this season, and I'm sure our planning had it very clearly in mind. We are set up well for next season. So I think it's a long way from being dire.

The big shortfall in expectation is how far off we look to be, in terms of simply competing this season.

But our medium term outlook is towards the upper end of where it's ever been on my 50 odd years or supporting us.

Last edited:
I entirely agree about things this season. It's going to be terrible. But;

I expected to get relegated this season, and I'm sure our planning had it very clearly in mind. We are set up well for next season. So I think it's a long way from being dire.

The big shortfall in expectation is how far off we look to be, in terms of simply competing this season.

But our medium term outlook is towards the upper end of where it's ever been on my 50 odd years or supporting us.
Are we really set up well for next season?

Is it the defeat or the manner of the defeat?
Has the 0-8 affected the players/management more
than can be seen?

Who are the motivating players and staff?
Is it working?

Where do you expect United to be on the first
day of the January Transfer Window?

We're chasing Derby's points total, hecky can stay for next season, if he makes sure we dont go down as the worst ever team...

Who else is out there that's as good, it's player quality that's the issue, were out of our depth, it's a whole new ball game now..

He has 12 players missing, but he always has about 12 players missing. That's the problem.

We've played Everton at home and Fulham away, and let's be honest West Ham have started quite well but they have Europe to content with and are no great shakes.

Unfortunately we can't play Luton 38 times this season, and going off last season's average against them that would still only leave us with 19 points.
Part of the issue is that either the players get punished or the manager and we're not really having a game yet where we get neither.

Aside from playing mistakes, I think the assumption that playing two up front was feasible grossly overrated the rest of the team. We can't really afford to have someone like Archer or Traore as a relative passenger in games. Maybe a last 15 dart, but not as Plan A. Notwithstanding the debate about 5 at the back, last season's Plan A arguably should have become this season's Plan B.

Having lost Ndiaye, it might have been wiser to fashion McAtee into that role, a McGoldrick or N'Diaye type role, rather than thinking you could have that type in midfield and a still have a striker. Ndiaye being both at times probably led us to thinking we might be able to pull it off.

Reinforcing the midfield more is probably the better approach.

At present that may be Souza and Norwood deeper and Hamer a little in front but with McAtee off McBurnie rather than a striker as well.

We're just far too open.

No way should Hecky be blamed for the situation we are in. The person to Blame is the prince. unable to sell the club, selling two players near the end of the last transfer window., not a budget to buy players we need to keep up in the premier league, injuries no one can be blamed for that, confidence is very low, Hecky is doing the best he can. who could take over with no money?. the prince must lower the price he wants for the club and sell asap. I wish I could buy the club but can not afford it. the only thing i can do is get behind the players and hope for the best. season ticket holder on the Kop matter what I will always give my support. UP THE BLADES.

2 different questions being asked here the first a bit vague:
"Has Hecky got what it takes?" The assumption is that that means to keep us in the Premier League- it looks doubtful but almost any manager would struggle in our situation only the Luton manager, Edwards is dealing with anything similar.
"Should Hecky go?" We need an option with a real chance of improving things before we let Hecky go, does one exist?

I've never been that enthusiastic about Heckingbottom, but results consistently proved me wrong so I've backed him.

Now I'm in the weird position that while I don't have any confidence in him turning it round I'm still backing him because frankly it seems like an impossible task. What even is our defence now? Trusty, Anel, Robinson...and that's every central defender we have to our name. The squad is weak enough that staying up was a long shot, now it's so thin that I don't know if we'll even have the senior players to fill a bench for most of the season. I'm not bothered about criticising Hecky at the moment because I don't think the results I'd be asking for are achievable.

I'm just numb to it all. The closed season was the problem. Our big signings were replacing our big outgoings. Hamer over Berge I'm still happy with. Archer I'd have been happy with, but Archer isn't a replacement for Ndiaye because a huge amount of our creativity came through Ndiaye and Archer simply isn't that type of player. But even if do we call those two "like-for-like" replacements the problem is that we didn't just need to replace them, we needed to strengthen the side.

The state of the team that started on the opening day was dire and we've only picked up more injuries since then. We can talk strategy and tactics all day long, criticise the manager, but I'm honestly at the point where I think it might be fantasy to get much more than we are from this squad.

Who would we get? New manager Jan transfer window looming an owner who wants out. A new manager would surely seek assurances of funds in Jan so i think that rules out a new manager i would assume. Also if a new manager was to come in why wait? 2 week international break to get to know most of the squad we will lose Vs Manure and Arsenal that's a month lost in my eyes. UTB

We're chasing Derby's points total, hecky can stay for next season, if he makes sure we dont go down as the worst ever team...

Who else is out there that's as good, it's player quality that's the issue, were out of our depth, it's a whole new ball game now..
All of the 'uninspiring' choices are more qualified and probably better than Hecky, there's not much debate on that

Are we really set up well for next season?
I think so - accepting we will lose some of the better players- but now under longer contracts so we will get more money, and have more money to spend. We've not invested heavily over the summer, for better or worse, so we've cleared the debt and should hopefully have some left over. Crowds are as high as they've ever been, the stadium is in good nick, the academy is functioning well.

Not really.

There have been a number of threads all basically saying the same thing and all started by people in favour of sacking him.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there's some valid criticism been mentioned. However, I'm yet to see a credible realistic replacement suggested that would make the change worth it imho.

I'd rather stick than bring in a replacement that will not only not make much difference, but also set us on a path to further change and instability.

Currently 50% think he has what it takes. Amazing. Astonishing.

How can so many people but in one forum all be this deluded.

Not really.

There have been a number of threads all basically saying the same thing and all started by people in favour of sacking him.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there's some valid criticism been mentioned. However, I'm yet to see a credible realistic replacement suggested that would make the change worth it imho.

I'd rather stick than bring in a replacement that will not only not make much difference, but also set us on a path to further change and instability.
We need change! Stability being terrible isn’t good. Stability copying the old managers tactics / style / formation isn’t good.

We need to rejuvenate the side and I’ve not seen anything of the sort.

Is it the defeat or the manner of the defeat?
Has the 0-8 affected the players/management more
than can be seen?

Who are the motivating players and staff?
Is it working?

Where do you expect United to be on the first
day of the January Transfer Window?
In the same position as the last day of the transfer window.... no were to be seen!! These who are running this shit show don't give a flying!!

Back
Top Bottom