CONFIRMED Berge to Burnley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

sander showed no interest in signing a new contract with us why shouldnt we cash in on him now personally any players that dont want to play for sheffield united can go im not interested in em yes like illiman he was a key member of our team but i dont think hes irraplacable he blew hot and cold in games being brilliant in patches then dissapearing altogether the club is more important than any individuals

There’s nothing wrong with that if it’s what happened and the refusal to play him, which sounds like bollocks to be honest, isn’t true.

I'm an admirer of Sander and was happy to see him stay, without drama, in our push for promotion.

My question is , was it such a bad idea to sell him. Last season no major players came in for him. Now, even though everyone knows of our wonderful financial position, still no major players come in for him. Surely if they thought they would be getting a bargain they would have been queuing up for his services. What made him go to a club that might well be in the championship again next year when he could have had freedom to approach any team in a few months?
No, but selling him to Burnley (FFS!) was.

Going to miss Sander, proper nice lad who I think would thrive in a team who will have the ball a lot (although I don’t think Burnley will be like that this year - strange career choice for me as I reckon if they stay up Kompany could get poached).

I personally think we need a midfield/team full of complete bastards to have any chance of staying up this year. And Berge wasn’t that type of player. Good luck to him 👍🏼

Ultimately he is / was an asset of the club.

Due to his reluctance to commit to us the “write down” of said asset was £15m over a 12 month period.

Spurs (with Kane) and PSG (with Mbappe) find themselves in similar territory albeit for much bigger figures and with much higher profile players.

But fundamentally it’s the same. SUFC HAD to be accepting of this potential write down for Berge in the same way Dan Levy has to be with the c£100m on the table for Harry. Extra significance being if Harry wants to go to Manchester and ends up there as a free agent. Relght kick in the nuts for Spuds that would be 😂😂😂😂.

UTB

He didn't do an awful lot, and went missing for 3-4 games at a time. He contributed 4 goals a season, FOUR. In the Championship. He's listed as a defensive midfielder? Was he?

Similar goes for McAtee though, he scored some quality goals and looks fantastic at times. But Doyle was the best of them for nearly half the season.

I feel like other teams saw more in Sander Berge than we did, and now it's squewing the opinions.

I'm not as disappointed as I was with the Ndiaye sale. Been said above, he was forever linked with other clubs he was clearly just an asset we were waiting to cash in.

I did like Berge mind don't get me wrong he was a hot and cold player but on his day he was great, more often than not though he did look a tad uncomfortable. Replace him and I'm 100% fine with him going.

sander showed no interest in signing a new contract with us why shouldnt we cash in on him now personally any players that dont want to play for sheffield united can go im not interested in em yes like illiman he was a key member of our team but i dont think hes irraplacable he blew hot and cold in games being brilliant in patches then dissapearing altogether the club is more important than any individuals

Agree...any Burnley fans checking out the posts after his sale will think Blades are just being salty....after the sale and hate their club.
However in anything Blades normally big up a player more than his standard.....after he's been sold.
Also I quite like Burnley, good history and loyal fans.

Regards Sander.....the description we always used for him is that "he plays like a Rolls Royce".
Think that's a good description but it's more accurate to say most of the time he was like a 5 litre Roller doing a constant 70 mph on the motorway.
He has this impressive gliding running style, this impressive effortless style when passing as though he's finds the game easy.

Things looks good but then you realised he rarely ever went above 70 mph, as though he was scared of being caught by speed cameras.
You always thought if he shows fight and determination he could take games by the scruff of the neck
and he did in 20 minute spells where he was clearly too good for the Championship then the rest of match he'd do a disappearing act and hardly touch the ball.

Really frustrating player for us, he arrived as a defensive midfielder but was often weak in the tackle and seemed poor defensively.
So we pushed him more forward and he was better but only in 15 minutes spurts. Also he was surprisingly pathetic at heading.

Overall wish him the best....he's not actually a massive loss to us
but I do think he's talented and it wouldn't surprise me if he goes somewhere else and ends up a comfortable average PL standard player.
However an alternative view is that he'd be better in a slow less physical league, so might just not be good enough to cope with English football.

I think you could argue that it was both a good and a bad idea to sell him.

A bad idea because we lose his attacking capabilities but also a good idea as he didn't appear to be interested in signing a new contract regardless of what happened over the course of this season, at least this way we get money for him.

Personally, I think it is a shame we spent around £45 million (+?) on him and Brewster.
Personally I think it’s a shame we spent £40m on Brew and McB and will get next door to nowt back for the pair.

I’ll add Freeman, Robinson, Mousse to that particular mix so as to increase the “spunkin munneh” in that period to around £60m.

Sander recouped around 75% of what we paid.

Not ideal but not a disaster either.

Everything relative !!

UTB

Sander is a quality player and i expect him to kick on.
Burnley are in a big transition with the wind behind the kompany regime.
I expect to see a totally new Burnley that we are used to watching from seasons gone by.
They will do OK I think, they have the wind behind there sales and have been able to spend a bit.
We however have sold, and have yet to sign a player who makes my dick twitch.
Barrel, and scraping in any order.
Piss poor summer from a premier league side, the owners should hang there heads in shame.

Put in the SB, don't blame him, but also don't blame the board for cashing in.

Where I do place the blame is for the slapdash haphazard nature our board are acting with regards to any transfer strategy, if we have one, and if we've ever had any cash to spend. A royal fucking mess.

We should still be in net profit and have 20+m available, will we spend it.... that will decide if the decision is right or not.

Nice guy and a good footballer.

However he was never what we needed and only occasionally what we wanted.

He didn't seem to have a natural position and was an awful midfield partner for Norwood (which is more a criticism of Norwood, but serves to highlight his incompatibility).

Overall doesn't leave much of a legacy.

Happy we've got a healthy fee and everyone frothing at the mouth would have been twice as angry if he'd left for free next summer. The fact that he was never ever signing a new deal is inexplicably ignored, and some fans are clinging to the idea that he was desperate to stay.

I wasn't his biggest fan, to hit and miss for me, and I'm actually more looking forward to seeing Vini play, than I am bothered about Berge leaving!
Now for the next ones in!

I'm an admirer of Sander and was happy to see him stay, without drama, in our push for promotion.

My question is , was it such a bad idea to sell him. Last season no major players came in for him. Now, even though everyone knows of our wonderful financial position, still no major players come in for him. Surely if they thought they would be getting a bargain they would have been queuing up for his services. What made him go to a club that might well be in the championship again next year when he could have had freedom to approach any team in a few months?

Mixed feelings really. If players don't want to sign an extended deal when they're already at the club I would rather we move them on. It's great that we kept Ndiaye and Berge and we got promotion with them in the side (i don't believe that if we'd lost either in January that we'd have gone up). But both have chosen a different path.

No hard feelings towards either and we're a skint club in the top league, so whilst there is a lot of discussions we could have on what has gone wrong, i think it's probably sensible to move the players on, get what we can and we start the season with a different set of players, but players that wanted to sign for us.

I'm sure Berge will fit in quite well in Kompany's side and i still think he's got some developing to do with his game, especially in this league. But there is no doubting he's a quality player and if he can stay injury free, consistent and develop some of the weaker aspects of his game, he'll be a decent player for them for a year or two.

illiman is irraplacable imo but berge certainly isnt good player but far too inconsistent as burnley fans will find out if its 15m think its a great deal for united bring hamer in for 12m and use other 3m towards either obrien or akpom and we will have got the best of this deal

Back
Top Bottom