Chuba akpom and Cameron archer

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hate? What are you talking about?

You mean some people being worried that last season could possibly be a one off. This opinion some have is now called Hate? Now that is truly baffling..
Symptomatic of how a lot think. Everything is awesome or garbage.
Love something or hate it. No room for any actual discussion based on rational thought. Those days have gone in large part.

I watched Akpoms goals back earlier I can see the logic in it.

He's basically a threat from to feet, aerial and finishing wise was exceptional last season.

My concern though is that of course he's had very un impressive goal returns previous seasons. And he's been technically injured since the end of last season, so he's had no proper pre-season.

I think that if this is a genuine option and we are really in for him for no more that £10m then it's worth a gamble. He offers something different that we don't have now that Billy and Illi has left.

He's not a bad player and he's a good finisher. But he needs someone to provide him with ammuniton.

His preferred role is AM or just off a proper number 9, but how we function I think that needs to be someone with more creativity than Akpom. That's my main issue.

FWIW at 8m I'd take him simply because I think just off last season alone we'll be able to sell him for something in the future, even if it's £2/3m it won't be a complete loss.

Sorry if I've missed it, but is this offer that's been upped, for Akpoms salary or offer to Boro?
I don’t know I’ve just been told we’ve upped our offer. I am presuming it’s the offer to the player

To boro? Or to Akpom?

So assuming to Boro it's now £8 mil and a Twix, or to Akpom it's £20k and a Freddo
Stop being so bloody pessimistic and down on us will you, we can at least offer a twix and a freddo together towards either, although not both for both

Stop being so bloody pessimistic and down on us will you, we can at least offer a twix and a freddo together towards either, although not both for both
I don't know, maybe a few years ago we could have but things have changed - Freddos are so bloody expensive!

My head agrees with YES Blade I remember signing Mcburnie after one good season at Swansea. But for some reason £8 million seems like a decent price, a lot of his goals are instinctive, you can tell he has a lot of intelligence in the box. Very much a poacher which I don’t think we have in this squad currently

My head agrees with YES Blade I remember signing Mcburnie after one good season at Swansea. But for some reason £8 million seems like a decent price, a lot of his goals are instinctive, you can tell he has a lot of intelligence in the box. Very much a poacher which I don’t think we have in this squad currently
all that intelligence and instinctiveness lead him to scoring goals consistently for the first time in his career last year

Legitimate concerns-
1- Injured presently- so how does he pass a medical, if he does when will he be fit to play?
2- previous scoring record- had one season of goals…rest poor.
3- His good season was in a very creative team, are we likely to create anything forngim
4- He seems to want to stay where he is.
5- why is his fee thought to be low enough for us to afford him…do Boro know something we don’t?

There may be a reasonable answer to many of the above, playing position, finally clicked at a later stage than many other players, we may have more creativity lined up on loan etc.
But the overriding concern is injury for me…I don’t get the logic of signing an injured player who at best is probably a month away from match fitness.
We are already bare bones up there with injuries and untried players or kids who have hardly scored a goal or played a game for us in anger yet.

It’s very odd he’s the number 1 choice in my opinion

Unfortunately, £8m is a good chunk of our budget. If we were signing another striker for say £20m+ and Akpom for £8m, it could be seen as a gamble worth taking.

But at £8m Akpom would be our biggest signing and the main player we’ll be relying on for goals. I can just seen him going back to his usual career form and manage at most 5 goals.

Legitimate concerns-
1- Injured presently- so how does he pass a medical, if he does when will he be fit to play?
3- His good season was in a very creative team, are we likely to create anything forngim
5- why is his fee thought to be low enough for us to afford him…do Boro know something we don’t?

There may be a reasonable answer to many of the above, playing position, finally clicked at a later stage than many other players, we may have more creativity lined up on loan etc.
But the overriding concern is injury for me…I don’t get the logic of signing an injured player who at best is probably a month away from match fitness.
We are already bare bones up there with injuries and untried players or kids who have hardly scored a goal or played a game for us in anger yet.

Maybe we could sling fleck into to the deal going the other way🤔

Boro "but he's got a broken leg" Blades replying "But your player is broke too"

Legitimate concerns-

The bit on the number one choice at the end of your post. We don't know he is number one choice, and you've got to factor in if he is then budget constraints play a factor. But if we can get him for £8m then frankly I don't think you'll get a better finisher for that money. He's still got plenty of years left in him, Vardy as someone else mentioned albeit not saying he's as good as him, didn't come good till he was 27 and almost joined Wednesday just before the season where Vardy smashed in loads of goals and won the league for Leicester. Thank you to Chansiri for allegedly pulling out of the transfer!

The fee being so low if true would be because he's out of contract and his age I would presume. Younger forwards from the Championship with similar goal ratios can leave for £20m as we know with McBurnie but Akpom seems a more natural finisher. He'll need some service granted but we've got decent quality from the likes of Berge, Slimane and the wing backs both put in some decent crosses too but saying that I would have loved Ryan Giles to supply him but he went to Luton.

finally got the service , they looked better all round

if he only scores 18 next season be ok with that

local rag says hes restarted training
This was my worry about this one, I just can't imagine we're going to get an awful lot of chances this season, service will be limited. But saying that, his goals to chances ratio was very high last year, basically over a goal for every 4 shots on or off target.

The hate for Akpom on this forum is truly baffling to me. How is he not worth a punt for £8m?

People are entitled to their views but most don't offer alternative suggestions.
Personally, I think he'd be a decent bet for the price mentioned. He is a good finisher but from what I've seen likes to drop off the front man - I think Utd still need someone to lead the line

This was my worry about this one, I just can't imagine we're going to get an awful lot of chances this season, service will be limited. But saying that, his goals to chances ratio was very high last year, basically over a goal for every 4 shots on or off target.
how do you know that , we create loads of chances in most games

Back
Top Bottom