Injuries

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Agree 1000%. Add a manager who is very abrasive when someone dares to ask about those two areas.
According to most on here though it's largely bad luck or something else but definately not anything to do with bad magement of injuries, training regimes,warming up,warming down. The basics basically.
Ultimately the catastrophic injury situation is the only thing that could stop this squad gaining automatic promotion.
I want to believe the majority of our walking wounded will be raring to rejoin the fray at the end of the thing in the stoneage place but will bet a shiny penny they won't, or will break down with a recurrence very soon after they do resume. Nothing that has happened this season should give anyone any reason to think differently.

I've absolutely nothing about how Berge is repairing- have I missed anything or is everyone as totally in the dark?

Interesting that we have used the most players in the league. So looks like we have suffered the most, but not by as much as I expected. The fixtures do seem to be causing a problem for all teams.

1668506014754.png

Whilst there must be a background to all these injuries, we are not alone in the Championship and Premiership.
Recent research is suggesting that injuries often occur when a player is psychologically tired, usually from playing too many intense games in too short a time.
I know that some will point out the privileged life that players lead, but to point the blame at United’s management/medical team is perhaps too simplistic.

We have now replaced the training pitches with a Desi pitch. Could this help for the second half of the season?

Who hasn't been injured this season ha? 😅
I can only think of Egan, Norwood and N'Diaye.

Not sure how many consecutive appearances John Egan has now made for us, but I'm starting to think he has developed an immunity to muscle injuries.

(And yes, I'm aware he will now tear his hamstring whilst taking out the shopping next week)

I can only think of Egan, Norwood and N'Diaye.

Not sure how many consecutive appearances John Egan has now made for us, but I'm starting to think he has developed an immunity to muscle injuries.

(And yes, I'm aware he will now tear his hamstring whilst taking out the shopping next week)
They are the 3 ever presents. Ndiaye has some sub appearances, the other two have started them all.

Baldock has only missed one game: Stoke

Wes has missed 3 due to suspension and started all the others, though of course he went off v Luton.

Repeated this evening.
Prefer NTT20, also.

"I know there were training ground issues last season but nothing seems to have come of it" - yeah, apart from the whole 1st team training area has been dug up, levelled, had new drainage systems installed, etc costing millions of pounds.

Proper knowledgeable these two 🙄

Interesting that we have used the most players in the league. So looks like we have suffered the most, but not by as much as I expected. The fixtures do seem to be causing a problem for all teams.

View attachment 147861
It’s not a perfect mechanism to check who has the most injuries though. Taking an extreme example, if we had only ever had 11 players fit all season because the rest were injured, we would have “11” on this table and be way off the top.

I was thinking the other day how on earth did the players of former years manage without all these muscle tears. Even in the days of mudbath piches I cannot remember the type of injuries we are having now. In the 70s and 80s we were playing on pitches very susceptible to the weather - seen matches played in almost waterlogged pitches, snow on the pitch, players with rubber studs when it was frosty etc and often just very heavy with divots kicked up all the time. Can't recall the injuries we have now. Good job we have subs now. Does the difference in construction of pitches - Desso, turf and other synthetic surfaces make any difference. If so, you would think this would affect other clubs too. Everyone says it is our intense training methods or Hecky's fault but apparently there were intense training sessions with Wilder. We don't play matches with any greater intensity than many other sides so is it just bad luck.? Also Jebbison did his ankle ligaments when he waas just shooting in training, McBurnie and Sharp have rolled their ankles and Osborn had some kind of foot injury - you would think these ar just regular things for footballers and wouldn't keep them out for months. Are the modern boots a problem in that they seemingly offer no protection to the foot at all? They look more a fashion item now rather than being sensible footwear for the task. Amonst all these injuries we have players like Norwood and Egan who have barely missed a minute on the pitch. Very odd.

They are the 3 ever presents. Ndiaye has some sub appearances, the other two have started them all.

Baldock has only missed one game: Stoke

Wes has missed 3 due to suspension and started all the others, though of course he went off v Luton.
I don't know why I thought Baldock missed a few weeks with injury 🤔 sure I remember we struggled for a RB for a few games?

I was thinking the other day how on earth did the players of former years manage without all these muscle tears. Even in the days of mudbath piches I cannot remember the type of injuries we are having now. In the 70s and 80s we were playing on pitches very susceptible to the weather - seen matches played in almost waterlogged pitches, snow on the pitch, players with rubber studs when it was frosty etc and often just very heavy with divots kicked up all the time. Can't recall the injuries we have now. Good job we have subs now. Does the difference in construction of pitches - Desso, turf and other synthetic surfaces make any difference. If so, you would think this would affect other clubs too. Everyone says it is our intense training methods or Hecky's fault but apparently there were intense training sessions with Wilder. We don't play matches with any greater intensity than many other sides so is it just bad luck.? Also Jebbison did his ankle ligaments when he waas just shooting in training, McBurnie and Sharp have rolled their ankles and Osborn had some kind of foot injury - you would think these ar just regular things for footballers and wouldn't keep them out for months. Are the modern boots a problem in that they seemingly offer no protection to the foot at all? They look more a fashion item now rather than being sensible footwear for the task. Amonst all these injuries we have players like Norwood and Egan who have barely missed a minute on the pitch. Very odd.
I guess the short answer is that players perform at a much higher level now than they ever have done, they train and play harder, even if the game itself is less physical. They get to top speed quicker, run faster, cover longer distances and are more athletic generally.

A big difference between 50+ years ago and now is the pace of the game and the amount of the pitch the players cover. Wingers used to stay on the wing and not go back beyond the half-way line; full-backs rarely crossed the half-way line. Centre-halves never went up for corners or long throw-ins (which hadn’t been invented). The ball was heavy, and there wasn’t the twisting and stretching to deal with it. The workload was heavy, and I have overstated the differences, but rather like modern-day sprinters, the modern footballers are super-fit athletes who are only one sprint away from twanging a hamstring. And they are expected to chase and press. A full-back from earlier eras would look at what Baldock does now in disbelief.The players of the 50s and 60s had to put up with hard tackles and shoulder charges, but unless they were unlucky, they only resulted in bruising. If you’d been a miner or a soldier in WW2, bruises were not a big issue.

Between now & Wigan (a) game that’s 5 weeks from the Cardiff game. You’d think the majority of the players should be back by then?

Even the major hamstring injuries should be close to return? That would be 8/9 weeks since they tore them.

I know we’ve got Huddersfield before that but I’d expect us to be back to nearly full strength by Wigan.

Back
Top Bottom