Injuries

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Whatever the potential causes and possible solutions to our injury problems might be, the club needs to make a concerted effort to get defenders, and then, midfielders back as soon as possible.
Players who can improve our standards immeasurably, like Bogle, Ahmedhodzic, Lowe, Berge and Doyle are needed from December onwards.
Goals will still come if these players return. A fit McBurnie would be a bonus, but those key players can make a big difference to our game and our promotion prospects.
I might even include Clark in that list for a more stable defence?
Strong defence and an intensity from midfield are vital to our prospects, and they can make all the difference against whoever we have to face in the remaining fixtures!

In my opinion.

when it comes to our better players I seem to be something of a conspiracy theorist. If I remember correctly Brooks had glandular fever and we never saw him in a Blades shirt again. Hope I’m just a suspicious paranoiac

It is odd the amount of injuries we keep Getting, I reckon even Stephen hawking would have pulled his hamstring in this current set up

Don't worry. I'm sure the 14 injured will have been put down when we report back after the WC whilst out of the 14 still on duty at Cardiff, at least 4 of them will have picked up an injury making a cheese sandwich or slipped at the side of the swimming pool whilst getting away for a week and pulled a back muscle and will be out for at least 12 weeks. Egan will be out for something like getting a peanut stuck up his nose. Im actively looking forward to the next set of comedy 'hes out because' reasons that I will read on here in 4 weeks time. Baldock ruled out for 6 months after pulling up his trouser fly too quick and getting his jizz stick trapped in the steel teeth.
No wonder Baldock's always furious! Who wouldn't be? 😂

We might also have to bite the bullet and buy 2 or 3 in January and not useless squad fillers either.

It is clear for whatever reason we are going to keep losing players to injuries so prepare for the worst.

I think Bash & Baldock just needed time to rest & probably get rid of the fatigue in their muscles. McBurnie is one I'm concerned about because of the ligament damage. We've gone from 7 strikers to just Billy 😂

If you roll your ankle it’s going to be ligament damage. It’s just a question of the extent. If someone said “rupture” I’d worry.

Our injury curse spreads far and wide...even to those we almost signed! Taken from the BBC piece on Rangers' sacking of Van Bronkhorst.

1669037528409.png

It is only day 2 at the World Cup, there has been a lot of injuries from either training or at the World Cup matches.

Blame it on Hecky, the new conditioning coach or the training pitches at Shirecliffe??

Putting it more into perspective is there "a lot of injuries" though when there are 32 football teams who are each allowed up to 26 players in their squads?

Putting it more into perspective is there "a lot of injuries" though when there are 32 football teams who are each allowed up to 26 players in their squads?
Yes, if you count those who are not there because of injury.

Yes, if you count those who are not there because of injury.

I'm only talking about all of the 26 man squads that initially flew out to the tournament.

Anyway, the point I was making is that there are over 830 players at the World Cup, I don't know the exact amount that are out injured since it began but in the context of over 800 players I don't think you could say that it is a lot of injuries whatever the figure is. Although granted the number of injuries are obviously likely to grow as we get further into the tournament as it is only day 2 as of today.

It is only day 2 at the World Cup, there has been a lot of injuries from either training or at the World Cup matches.

Blame it on Hecky, the new conditioning coach or the training pitches at Shirecliffe??
Hi silent. My confusion is with the percentage of serious hamstring injuries. Brewster x2, RND, Lowe, Clark. Something amiss there. Jebisson is different ankle ligaments that is just unlucky, turn your ankle to what degree and he's missing for a month. Would be interesting to know if Clark had any history with his hamstrings prior to joining us? However Heckingbottom is very thorough so although he might brush our local media off, i am sure he will be looking deeper in to the situation. Also well done to our Welsh Blades Robert Page and Alan Knill this evening, both good guys. Utb

Hi silent. My confusion is with the percentage of serious hamstring injuries. Brewster x2, RND, Lowe, Clark. Something amiss there. Jebisson is different ankle ligaments that is just unlucky, turn your ankle to what degree and he's missing for a month. Would be interesting to know if Clark had any history with his hamstrings prior to joining us? However Heckingbottom is very thorough so although he might brush our local media off, i am sure he will be looking deeper in to the situation. Also well done to our Welsh Blades Robert Page and Alan Knill this evening, both good guys. Utb
Many teams are getting more injuries due to the modern training programme and playing the "high press" system in matches . Yes, the injury list is long at SUFC but it is the same for some of the other teams

Totally agree. I tried to cover myself with the 50+ years, which doesn’t quite let me off the Colquhoun hook. From memory, Jackie Charlton was a major factor of having the centre-half go up for corners. And perhaps John Charles, who switched between playing centre-half and centre-forward? Wing-backs and wingers helping the defence were a later development. Stanley Matthews would not retreat beyond the halfway lane, and allegedly would let the ball run out of play rather than head it if a pass came to him in the air. The roles of each player were much more clearly defined and limited. It would be fascinating to know how far Coldwell, Badger, Baldock ran in a game. I guess it would be a steep historical progression. And the goalkeeper never left his penalty area.
You're right on the Jack Charlton point - perhaps one of the first to do. While we had Alan Woodward to drive corners in rather than float them in they had Peter Lorimer to do the same and often a flick on at the near post led to a goal. My meory of Cec Coldwell was that he was very much a right back and didn't move forward at all but I think Len Badger was more adventurous and he would get over the half way line as he was such a good technical player and he was fast too. Of course with Woodward and Currie around they were all such good players but Woodward was very posted on that right wing so there was not much room for the role that Baldock plays.

Most symptoms of glandular fever will usually resolve within two or three weeks. Your throat will normally feel most sore for three to five days after symptoms start before gradually improving, and your fever will usually last 10 to 14 days.16 Dec 2020

Taken from NHS website. I imagine this can vary but saying he'll be out for the end of the season I would say is being very half glass full, like never having one in the first place! Bash plays there of course and although he's not as good as he was in his prime he won't let us down either and with Lowe, Bogle and Berge expected to be back we should be stronger after the break then before it even without Anel.
Bash has let us down a few times this season - Anel was a class above and a major reason we did so well in the first 10 games - typical of our luck that he should get something random to knock him out for a long while

I'm only talking about all of the 26 man squads that initially flew out to the tournament.

Anyway, the point I was making is that there are over 830 players at the World Cup, I don't know the exact amount that are out injured since it began but in the context of over 800 players I don't think you could say that it is a lot of injuries whatever the figure is. Although granted the number of injuries are obviously likely to grow as we get further into the tournament as it is only day 2 as of today.
The concern in Europe is that the timing of the event along with other demands has lead to significant numbers of injured footballers and several top players are missing from the sport’s showcase event.
I agree that many other countries don’t have the same pressures and therefore there will be less likely to lose members of their squad.

Hopefully most are back fit for Huddersfield. Lost count who was injured.

Hopefully, but I'll be really fucked off if any more have become injured during this break. We've supposedly played or are going to play a couple of matches so I really hope Hecky doesn't play any that have been playing in or around the first team as it's just asking for more injuries. He did say we really needed this break so I hope he hasn't risked any more players.

Hopefully, but I'll be really fucked off if any more have become injured during this break. We've supposedly played or are going to play a couple of matches so I really hope Hecky doesn't play any that have been playing in or around the first team as it's just asking for more injuries. He did say we really needed this break so I hope he hasn't risked any more players.
I reckon they'll have 2 weeks off because I've not even noticed players like Arblaster or others in the u21 squads. This week they'll probably be back training and matches being played.

Back
Top Bottom