Bladey degrees of separation

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I used to work in the sportsman pub on Warminster road just down from the old training ground in the 90’s, Derek french used to live across the road and quite a few old players used to come in and see him until he moved away, these included Paul Beesley, Brian Gayle, Chris wilder (who also used to come in after Bradway games on a Sunday)

away from that era we also had Wayne Quinn come in a few times who lived just up the road, and a few years later after coming in for the pub teams presentation night and seeing the snooker table Alan Quinn had a short stint of coming in. The landlady changed to a woman from the dark side and all of a sudden a few pig players started coming in, a mate of mine who’s vertically challenged and totally not into football was getting the piss taken out of him by about 4/5 pig players, one of whom was on crutches with them rested up against the bar, after they continued their barrage of midget insults my mate had enough and picked the crutches up and ran out the pub with them…. Fuck em all, the long and the short and the tall !!

Went to Primary school with Michael Boulding's younger brother (who plays non league).

Used to work with Stephen Mcginn's Mrs while he played for us.

Worked with Andy Barnsley 2 years ago.

Alan Quinn’s ex-wife was my first barber when I was a kid back in the 90’s.

I used to play football with Dom Calvert-Lewin and we later went to the same secondary school. He was three school years below me. He’s a great lad and still spends time with his mates from home.

One of my best mates played for United’s academy sides up until he was 15/16 with Harry Maguire and a few of the other lads in that age group.

Not Blades related, but I also went to school with Jamie Vardy’s sister and I played for Stocksbridge Park Steels Reserves with some of his former teammates from the ‘tag days’.

Manchester Road?
Think United have some sort of ownership of some properties up there that they let players use. When I lived up there I used to see George Long all the time, then when he left, Simon Moore.

Sure I've seen Woodhouse say before that he lived up there at one point too.

My best mate went out with Tom Fenoughty's daughter for a while. She is a committed blade too. In fact I went to Tom's house at some point with my mate and Tom was very fond of telling stories of his playing days.
Tom sat next to me and my dad when we beat Leeds 3-0 in August 1971. My dad found him easy to talk to. Tom was cheering for the Blades that night despite being a Chesterfield player at the time.

During the 2012-13 season my son played in the same Staveley WMC u15s team as Paul Beesley's younger son. I regularly took him to training throughout the season.

During the 2012-13 season my son played in the same Staveley WMC u15s team as Paul Beesley's younger son. I regularly took him to training throughout the season.
There's a few of us on here including myself who have played footie with your lad, so that's an even more tenuous link!

The son of one of my dad's mates made one sub appearance for United in '01.

Just to give bladesince64 summat else to complain about :p

How tenuous can you get with your link to a blades player or management team?

I'll start us off.

My partner's Mum's best mate is Chris Wilder's wife's Auntie. :cool:
I used to travel up from London to the lane with TC,'s uncle and brother (before the brother was on our books).

I was in a beer garden before the Swindon 5-5 game and we were all loudly discussing which player had the most attractive missus. I equally loudly proclaimed this to be John Brayford’s girlfriend.

Soon a lone woman from a nearby table was invited to join us, an invitation she accepted. She said she was in Swindon to see her boyfriend… John Brayford.

Never did work out if she heard me. Greenwich Blade was there that day and may have some insight.

I was in a beer garden before the Swindon 5-5 game and we were all loudly discussing which player had the most attractive missus. I equally loudly proclaimed this to be John Brayford’s girlfriend.

Soon a lone woman from a nearby table was invited to join us, an invitation she accepted. She said she was in Swindon to see her boyfriend… John Brayford.

Never did work out if she heard me. Greenwich Blade was there that day and may have some insight.
She was incredibly polite and very pleasant. She gave of the impression that she hadn't heard anything, but like I say, she was polite. I remember us all flashing looks at each other as if to say, "Fuuuuck!"

One other thing I remember was when a rather portly gentleman with a beard hobbled into the garden on crutches, I said to her, "Wow, your boyfriend's let himself go since his injury." She laughed (but as I said, she was EVER SO polite).

Not really seen what this thread is all about, but Kevin Blackwell once gave me a lift from Luton to the Bramall Lane car-park, for the Leeds Worthington Cup game actually, the Jags-Nuddy one.

Not really seen what this thread is all about, but Kevin Blackwell once gave me a lift from Luton to the Bramall Lane car-park, for the Leeds Worthington Cup game actually, the Jags-Nuddy one.
It was supposed to be a thread where you found a very tenuous personal link to a Blades player/manager. On that you failed, but cool story bro 😎🤣

It was supposed to be a thread where you found a very tenuous personal link to a Blades player/manager. On that you failed, but cool story bro 😎🤣
I suppose it is a fairly tenuous link in that case; it's not like we became big mates leading to him picking me up from junction 11 of the M1 every home game. He did say hello to me the next time he saw me though.

My mums Godsons Best mate is Chris Bettany who came through academy before leaving for Chesterfield

I used to speak regularly with for U23 player Ashton Hall's mum whilst walking the dog

Many moons ago I managed a Rotherham Sunday league side. (No I'm not called Brian). My star midfielder s sister was the girlfriend of Terry Curran. The team had a night out in what was then Tiffany s Rotherham. Wives and girlfriends were present along with the said sister and Terry Curran. At the time he and Jack Charlton had had a fall out and Curran was out of favour and not playing.
I asked him if he fancied a game with us the next coming Sunday. He said he d play for anybody just to get a game. He never showed up though. Bastard.

Many moons ago I managed a Rotherham Sunday league side. (No I'm not called Brian). My star midfielder s sister was the girlfriend of Terry Curran. The team had a night out in what was then Tiffany s Rotherham. Wives and girlfriends were present along with the said sister and Terry Curran. At the time he and Jack Charlton had had a fall out and Curran was out of favour and not playing.
I asked him if he fancied a game with us the next coming Sunday. He said he d play for anybody just to get a game. He never showed up though. Bastard.

Must have told this before on here, but out in the West Indies in 2000 enabled me and a few mates (one a pig) to tag onto the Caribbean Blades caravan in Trinidad and Tobago, as my ship was doing Counter Drug Operations and was alongside in St Vincent. We three island hopped over by plane.

Once there us three happened across the players and managers on the beach and were invited more or less in with the squad on social events and on the bench for their game v a Tobago select XI. It were ace.

I wrote to NW on completion and he wrote back inviting me backstage to matches (I took Musical to one - we saw 'Keth Curle's cock' but that's not quite what it seems, believe me) and met up with NW and his lovely family in Cornwall the next year on the preseason. Sharon is a truly lovely person and Warnock is not 'Neil Warnock' you see on the touchline and on camera. There is 'Football Neil Warnock' and there is 'non-Football Neil Warnock'. Two completely different people.

Anyroad, being as he was down at his farm in Callington during the pre-season, and my ship HMS Manchester had just gone into refit in Devonport dockyard, the skeleton staff we kept challenged the Naval Base Team to a game of footy. I told NW and he asked if he could play for us and we were delighted, and the Naval Base Staff were literally pissing themselves with excitement at Warnock playing, given he is a real legend down amongst the pastymen.

The day of the match though he called me and had to cancel as he was off to Birmingham to arrange a swap-buy of Curtis Woodhouse and Peter Ndlovu.

We lost the game 3-1. I gave a stupid penalty away (a low corner which I should have controlled better and it struck my hand but I did hit the inside of the post from 25 yards with a shot I couldn't have struck better save for an inch of aim. NW would have probably made the difference for us.

pommpey

I saw Billy Sharp’s arse at the gym.

Not Blades but I also had a piss next to Sir Alex Ferguson at the 3-3 with Man Utd.

Back
Top Bottom