My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Maybe a big chance to come out blazing and capitalise on last week's decent first half at least. But having seen Hecky's propensity to stick with Norwood and Fleck in midfield, I felt the stools in my bowel liquefy somewhat, especially given we are facing the Wilder/Knill management team who built them in the first place. It was fairly obvious that a team built for Wilderball and still largely practicing Wilderball with Wilder's players would be countered by Wilderball tactics. As it turned out, Wilder's Boro didn't even look half as capable as the sides he managed us with and true to form, we gave the fucking lead away not once, but twice.

We typically started bright and went one up with Sander Currie receiving a Norwood straight pass, losing his marker for half a pace and twatting it low into the far corner. A great goal and a great start but the last time Sander got us one up early like that was Coventry away last season and we were served our arses on a plate after that. The first ten were similarly decent though and Boro looked rattled but for some odd reason we were suddenly switched off. It's not like Wilder changed anything either. We continued to try to play down our clearly weaker left side and coughed up too much space or possession and simply didn't look organised enough to hold onto that fragile lead. So it came to pass that we looked like a shower of chimps as they played through us on that flank and a centre which to anyone's mindset should never have been unchallenged. But it was. Like the West Brom goal midweek, our central three are all pointing at each other as to who had who. More of that in a few minutes ...

So at one-all its set for at least summat to happen. We had pops on target from Norwood from a free kick and rare opportunities venturing forward but we still look woefully underhorsepowered in the middle of the park, careless passes and almost schoolboy errors failing badly to make any effect on what looked to be a shaky Boro defence. Billy and N'Daiye again had a vast gap behind them filled with fresh air as Fleck and Norwood tried to to the basics and get them right. It all looked so 'last season' and screamed for someone to come on and take the game by the lapels and deliver a clanger of a knee upwards into the nutbag. Second half, Brewster came on for Billy again showed he's willing to run and fight but again ... he isolated and bereft of support even when he gets the ball with his back to the goal or is up in advanced areas supporting the attack. Lowe, after having pissplop first half improved slightly by after half time I thought we were playing with ten men as I could not see Jon Fleck at all. Norwood also didn't seem to be functioning at all with two corners - onme typically hitting the first man and the other sailing over everyone's heads, still not playing basic passing triangles to be effective. Long ball giveaways and dispossessions ... the stuff we have ALL moaned about ... being his reason for being

Suddenly though from a throw in he provided Ndaiye with a ball to put a benign cross in and their defender swipes it into the fucking net. Cue deep joy and a chance to win but you just fucking knew we didn't have the minerals to manage the result to three points to put us up in the top six and give us the away win we expect. Hell no. Soon after we are holding on at times against a pretty dismal Boro front line and whilst this screams for creatives to be on the pitch to hold the ball down the other end or even God forbid get the forwards involved and damned well threaten. Instead we bring on McBurnie, another part of Wilder and Knill's dubious legacy of failure, to prop up the defence. Hah. Good move Hecky. They equalise again from a forward completely unmarked in front of Wes's goal. It was pathetic.

I'm not sure what is going on here. I'd like to believe that this is the 'Hecksperiment' - a move to illustrate how piss poor United are and how it may be an idea if we jettisoned the legacy players of Wilder's ascendency to acquire more talent and a complete revolution in strategy and formation. That's the optimist in me and to be honest, he needn't bother. We know where the bodies lay with regard our weaknesses. They are actually all over the park if truthfully speaking and most, if not all have been bought or brought in by one Mr Chris Wilder. A lot of our fanbase though cling to these totemic figures like Panini cards, with the vain hope that as collectors items they might one day shit silver dollars. Some others aren't quite so stupid and know that the cards aren't rare at all and if anything, are in everyone's 'gots'. Week in, week out they get their useless collection out and stroke themselves through their pockets at these amazing items, even though they don't actually complete anyone's collections. But there's the pessimist in me thinking that Hecky actually 'believes' in the likes of Norwood and Fleck starting in midfield like suddenly the next match is gonna be a fucking example of total football, from two inept, inconsistent and frankly liability-laden makeweights. I actually think that Hecky puts the starting team up on the whiteboard and Jack and McCall suck their top lips in and exchange side glances with a 'Fucker doesn't know what he's doing' manner. This is reinforced for me by his inability to see the gathering crisis before him and make the required changes to put the result in our favour. What did he exactly think McBurnie would give us in the closing stages at 2-1 up? Why did he not bring our clearly gifted loanees in to give us some impetus and direction and put Boro on the back foot?

It's because he's fucking clueless.

Foderingham 7/10: Great performance from him. No chance with the goals and some really great claims aerially from a keeper who isn't a giant
Baldock 6/10: Ken Barlow. Nice bants with Wilder, apparently
Anel 7/10: Becoming a great player and one for whom I gather Bash would happily hand over his mantle to. But he'll have to be consistent to do so. A wayward pass in the second half, but he's still good
Egan 6.5/10: Another decent performance from him but I feel he is 'captain of the back three'. With a weaker player on his left he struggled at times today leading to both of their goals
RND 5/10: Poor first half and looked all over the shop at times. He's not a centre back and never will be. Better second half by a small margin
Lowe 4/10: Dismal first half. Started okay but that is no real measure. Second half he was slightly better and had a crack on goal
Berge 7/10: Drops a mark because second half he again faded into nothingness despite being pretty mercurial in spells. Brilliant goal from him.
Norwood 5/10: Another average-to-poor showing from him. Good attempt on goal from the free kick but elsewhere - once again readers - profligate, wasteful and ineffective as the CDM/CM. Gets one whole point for his assists, but they weren't exactly Son-to-Kane worldies, were they?
Fleck 3/10: The Invisible Scotsman for about 80% of today's game
NDaiye 7.5/10: Runs himself to empty on 60 minutes just trying to make that midfield-to-front-end connectivity or digging a chance out of any ball pumped forward
Sharp 5/10: Again, because he had nowt to get onto. Same old, same old.

Brewster 7.5/10: Although not supplied as much, the kid put himself about and made a real nuisance at times, to little effect apart from a great header from 18 yards. Took a knock, so that's him out until Easter 2025
McBurnie 1/10: Useless. Flailing attempt at a header (to which he peeled off the goalscorer) and his usual grifting up the pitch with nothing times nothing in centre forward threat. He is wearing the number some goalscorers in the past have made their marks with - Dearden, Edwards, Agana, Asaba ... even Chris Porter. Its a shirt of honour and he isn't good enough even to be compared to Ashely fucking Ward or Arturo Lupoli

Ref: Bellend. Definite penalty with the challenge on RND and dubious shit regarding Egan's header.

Hecky 1/10: Get it fucking sorted, feller. Clean out the shit

pommpey

Maybe a big chance to come out blazing and capitalise on last week's decent first half at least. But having seen Hecky's propensity to stick with Norwood and Fleck in midfield, I felt the stools in my bowel liquefy somewhat, especially given we are facing the Wilder/Knill management team who built them in the first place. It was fairly obvious that a team built for Wilderball and still largely practicing Wilderball with Wilder's players would be countered by Wilderball tactics. As it turned out, Wilder's Boro didn't even look half as capable as the sides he managed us with and true to form, we gave the fucking lead away not once, but twice.

We typically started bright and went one up with Sander Currie receiving a Norwood straight pass, losing his marker for half a pace and twatting it low into the far corner. A great goal and a great start but the last time Sander got us one up early like that was Coventry away last season and we were served our arses on a plate after that. The first ten were similarly decent though and Boro looked rattled but for some odd reason we were suddenly switched off. It's not like Wilder changed anything either. We continued to try to play down our clearly weaker left side and coughed up too much space or possession and simply didn't look organised enough to hold onto that fragile lead. So it came to pass that we looked like a shower of chimps as they played through us on that flank and a centre which to anyone's mindset should never have been unchallenged. But it was. Like the West Brom goal midweek, our central three are all pointing at each other as to who had who. More of that in a few minutes ...

So at one-all its set for at least summat to happen. We had pops on target from Norwood from a free kick and rare opportunities venturing forward but we still look woefully underhorsepowered in the middle of the park, careless passes and almost schoolboy errors failing badly to make any effect on what looked to be a shaky Boro defence. Billy and N'Daiye again had a vast gap behind them filled with fresh air as Fleck and Norwood tried to to the basics and get them right. It all looked so 'last season' and screamed for someone to come on and take the game by the lapels and deliver a clanger of a knee upwards into the nutbag. Second half, Brewster came on for Billy again showed he's willing to run and fight but again ... he isolated and bereft of support even when he gets the ball with his back to the goal or is up in advanced areas supporting the attack. Lowe, after having pissplop first half improved slightly by after half time I thought we were playing with ten men as I could not see Jon Fleck at all. Norwood also didn't seem to be functioning at all with two corners - onme typically hitting the first man and the other sailing over everyone's heads, still not playing basic passing triangles to be effective. Long ball giveaways and dispossessions ... the stuff we have ALL moaned about ... being his reason for being

Suddenly though from a throw in he provided Ndaiye with a ball to put a benign cross in and their defender swipes it into the fucking net. Cue deep joy and a chance to win but you just fucking knew we didn't have the minerals to manage the result to three points to put us up in the top six and give us the away win we expect. Hell no. Soon after we are holding on at times against a pretty dismal Boro front line and whilst this screams for creatives to be on the pitch to hold the ball down the other end or even God forbid get the forwards involved and damned well threaten. Instead we bring on McBurnie, another part of Wilder and Knill's dubious legacy of failure, to prop up the defence. Hah. Good move Hecky. They equalise again from a forward completely unmarked in front of Wes's goal. It was pathetic.

I'm not sure what is going on here. I'd like to believe that this is the 'Hecksperiment' - a move to illustrate how piss poor United are and how it may be an idea if we jettisoned the legacy players of Wilder's ascendency to acquire more talent and a complete revolution in strategy and formation. That's the optimist in me and to be honest, he needn't bother. We know where the bodies lay with regard our weaknesses. They are actually all over the park if truthfully speaking and most, if not all have been bought or brought in by one Mr Chris Wilder. A lot of our fanbase though cling to these totemic figures like Panini cards, with the vain hope that as collectors items they might one day shit silver dollars. Some others aren't quite so stupid and know that the cards aren't rare at all and if anything, are in everyone's 'gots'. Week in, week out they get their useless collection out and stroke themselves through their pockets at these amazing items, even though they don't actually complete anyone's collections. But there's the pessimist in me thinking that Hecky actually 'believes' in the likes of Norwood and Fleck starting in midfield like suddenly the next match is gonna be a fucking example of total football, from two inept, inconsistent and frankly liability-laden makeweights. I actually think that Hecky puts the starting team up on the whiteboard and Jack and McCall suck their top lips in and exchange side glances with a 'Fucker doesn't know what he's doing' manner. This is reinforced for me by his inability to see the gathering crisis before him and make the required changes to put the result in our favour. What did he exactly think McBurnie would give us in the closing stages at 2-1 up? Why did he not bring our clearly gifted loanees in to give us some impetus and direction and put Boro on the back foot?

Foderingham 7/10: Great performance from him. No chance with the goals and some really great claims aerially from a keeper who isn't a giant
Anel 7/10: Becoming a great player and one for whom I gather Bash would happily hand over his mantle to. But he'll have to be consistent to do so. A wayward pass in the second half, but he's still good
Egan 6.5/10: Another decent performance from him but I feel he is 'captain of the back three'. With a weaker player on his left he struggled at times today leading to both of their goals
RND 5/10: Poor first half and looked all over the shop at times. He's not a centre back and never will be. Better second half by a small margin
Lowe 4/10: Dismal first half. Started okay but that is no real measure. Second half he was slightly better and had a crack on goal
Berge 7/10: Drops a mark because second half he again faded into nothingness despite being pretty mercurial in spells. Brilliant goal from him.
Norwood 5/10: Another average-to-poor showing from him. Good attempt on goal from the free kick but elsewhere - once again readers - profligate, wasteful and ineffective as the CDM/CM. Gets one whole point for his assists, but they weren't exactly Son-to-Kane worldies, were they?
NDaiye 7.5/10: Runs himself to empty on 60 minutes just trying to make that midfield-to-front-end connectivity or digging a chance out of any ball pumped forward

Brewster 7.5/10: Although not supplied as much, the kid put himself about and made a real nuisance at times, to little effect apart from a great header from 18 yards. Took a knock, so that's him out until Easter 2025
McBurnie 1/10: Useless. Flailing attempt at a header (to which he peeled off the goalscorer) and his usual grifting up the pitch with nothing times nothing in centre forward threat. He is wearing the number some goalscorers in the past have made their marks with - Dearden, Edwards, Agana, Asaba ... even Chris Porter. Its a shirt of honour and he isn't good enough even to be compared to Ashely fucking Ward or Arturo Lupoli

Ref: Bellend. Definite penalty with the challenge on RND and dubious shit regarding Egan's header.

pommpey
Haven’t watched the match other than highlights so cannot sensibly comment, other than to say that with two home matches in the next 6 days I will judge the substitutions and original selections after those.

Close to the top, I’ll take that. Pretty fair assessment Pomps.

Don’t usually comment on your take but I think that’s a pretty decent summing up apart from Max Lowe . I thought he started well like you said then dipped , but thought he did well second half ( not only slightly better ) and thought he was better than RND . Also thought Norwoods flick for the second goal was excellent!
As ever UTB !

pommpey
McBurnie absolutely infuriating today, the usual slow jogging about up front, looks like.hes put some timber on which seems to have made him even slower and less mobile and what the fcuk is he playing at for their goal

No way brewster was better than berge that's just ridiculous

Hecky aaaaarrrrghhhhhttttttt

Starting and sticking with Fleck and Norwood. After a Berge scored he dropped deep and dint want to get involved anymore. Maybe he’s avoiding injury after upping him transfer profile with a wonder goal.

Result of above was zero midfield and strikers isolated and out of game.

Bringing on McBurnie at that stage int game deserves Hecky being chucked out ont street.

pommpey
Unfortunately, I think you've called it spot on today. Hecky has had another shit for brains day today. Some of his tactical nous is baffling at times.

Where was the three amigos (Khadra, Doyle and McAtee) on 70 mins to inject some energy and pace on a ridiculously hot day ? We will never know now, but he does that and is bold with his substitutions and I reckon we get a third and win it. The McBurnie substitution was negative and tactically naive.

Hecky comes across as the sort who after putting a quid on a bet, would cash out for a fiver when he can have 50 if nowt changes in the last 10.

Hecky is in a world of his own where a half-fit clown called McBurnie gets on the pitch + Fleck stays on , yet 3 PL talents stay glued to the bench.
Unforgivable incompetence.
At 2-1 with our veteran mf failing to stem their flow , you need fresh legs in mf to keep them at bay.
You gave Hecky a point , was that for turning up ?
I give him zero - the man recruits 3 mobile ballers on loan from the PL and doesn’t use any of them when they are sorely needed.
What must they (and Berge) think about playing for this manager ?
His decisions will see Berge out the door and the other 3 recalled.

I would have taken a point beforehand but they weren’t half as good as I expected & we’ve chucked 2 points away there .
At 2-1 we’re coasting & CW goes for it , space opens up all over to finish them on the counter and he brings on Khadra No .. McAtee .No ..Doyle .. No … Mc Burnie fresh from his heroics scoring for the under 8’s in midweek & subs our liveliest player in Ndiaye ?
Surprise surprise we concede , poor marking again ( same on both goals ) . Yes we should have had a pen , yes we could have lost it when they hit the woodwork , but with a bit more of an attacking minded approach & with options at his disposal & more professionalism it’s 3 points returning South .
I’m sure Hecky drives a Volvo & has 2:4 children & follows the Gareth Southgate manual , needs to show more adventure or we’ll come up short again . UTB ⚔️

Just watched his post match interview and he said ‘someone lost the marker for the 2nd’ he either didn’t want to throw Mcburnie under the bus publicly or he didn’t know.

He seemed very happy with the result though.

pommpey
Cool story bro

……he brings on Khadra No .. McAtee .No ..Doyle .. No … Mc Burnie fresh from his heroics scoring for the under 8’s in midweek
To be fair to Hecky he was about to bring Kherda on with a good 90 seconds remaining then decided not to gamble.

Gerim sacked he’s no promotion manager if he thinks his performance today was acceptable. Had he come out and said new lads weren’t ready, injured, not match fit or he got it wrong I could understand but it was a techninical and tactical shiftfest from him today and to come across with a post match interview pleased with what went on is unforgivable ffs. :mad:

We chucked away 2 points after borough did scoring for us cause when IN squared that ball there wasn’t a white shirt in sight, just like their goals not a white shirt marking or even near the scorer.

Hecky is in a world of his own where a half-fit clown called McBurnie gets on the pitch + Fleck stays on , yet 3 PL talents stay glued to the bench.
Unforgivable incompetence.
At 2-1 with our veteran mf failing to stem their flow , you need fresh legs in mf to keep them at bay.
You gave Hecky a point , was that for turning up ?
I give him zero - the man recruits 3 mobile ballers on loan from the PL and doesn’t use any of them when they are sorely needed.
What must they (and Berge) think about playing for this manager ?
His decisions will see Berge out the door and the other 3 recalled.

Load of absolute bollocks as usual

pommpey
Can't argue with that report. Another weekend spoilt and it was all our own doing week after fucking week we never learn. Chris Wilder got one thing right last week Middleborough are miles off being a Watford, Burnley, Norwich or even a Sheffield fkin United. We start off well go in front after 3mins and are ok for the first 15mins. Boro then rough us up a bit we lose discipline and pretty soon our left side switch off and they walk through us to make it 1-1 even at this point Carl Asaba is seeing that Fleck and Norwood's afternoons work is over and they are doing nothing to help out defence never mind getting forward.
Second half we start ok and you are thinking Ndiaye who has run his bollocks off will be cramping up on 60 mins and the dynamic duo of Fleck and Norwood have left the midfield to Sander Berge who always looks less effective when he has no support. Norwood then makes his only decent pass of the second half and we get behind the slow Boro defence who complete the job for us 1-2.
So with 15mins left any normal person puts some fresh legs on in midfield to counter Wilder's subs and swaps Ndiaye's pace with like for like Khadra but no Hecky brings on McBurnie who has only played in one U23 game in god knows how long a player not blessed with lightning pace and signals with flashing green lights the the slow Boro defence can step 10yards up the pitch. Rule one don't make subs when defending a corner but Hecky does and we are back to all square 2-2 and hanging on for the last 15mins we could have so easily lost that game only the post saved us.
Piss poor from Hecky & Stuart McCall, Rapidly turning into a negative Nigel is our Hecky and McCall is a serial loser wherever he goes. I'm beginning to think we will be having a long stay in this division if these two remain in charge, absolutely bemused as to why two Man City starlets and Khadra are deemed to be not yet ready but Oli McBurnie who hasn't played for months is? WTF do they have to do to get minutes on the pitch considering Norwood is so poor and Jimmy Fleck has gone AWOL????

Agree with that, I would have taken a point beforehand with how I expected the game to play out.

But, Boro were really shite, so it becomes a very poor result IMO, if we’re supposed to be a promotion challengers.

Our left side had disaster written all over it, but thankfully they only carved through it once. Are none of the new signings better than Fleck ?

The McBurnie sub. What the actual fuck. Are none of them better than him as well ? Presume he was brought on to win defensive headers at set pieces, but he goes fucking walkabouts and they score. Could he be losing his final footballing attribute ?

Only real positive for me was Brewster’s contribution. Berge was also good without being outstanding, however, him being good is much better than the rest.

Unfortunately, I think you've called it spot on today. Hecky has had another shit for brains day today. Some of his tactical nous is baffling at times.

Where was the three amigos (Khadra, Doyle and McAtee) on 70 mins to inject some energy and pace on a ridiculously hot day ? We will never know now, but he does that and is bold with his substitutions and I reckon we get a third and win it. The McBurnie substitution was negative and tactically naive.

Hecky comes across as the sort who after putting a quid on a bet, would cash out for a fiver when he can have 50 if nowt changes in the last 10.
The three lads in brackets have to appear some time next few games, otherwise , do they exist ?I’m guilty of impatience and maybe imprudence as a full season is a long time.

Agree with that, I would have taken a point beforehand with how I expected the game to play out.

But, Boro were really shite, so it becomes a very poor result IMO, if we’re supposed to be a promotion challengers.

Our left side had disaster written all over it, but thankfully they only carved through it once. Are none of the new signings better than Fleck ?

The McBurnie sub. What the actual fuck. Are none of them better than him as well ? Presume he was brought on to win defensive headers at set pieces, but he goes fucking walkabouts and they score. Could he be losing his final footballing attribute ?

Only real positive for me was Brewster’s contribution. Berge was also good without being outstanding, however, him being good is much better than the rest.
“ could he be losing his final footballing attribute” LOL. Cheered me up that
Funny as f**k

pommpey
One of the best reads I've had on My Take

Don't like you, but like your ...My Takes....

Sander was really poor other than his goal so i would give him 5 . He can (or can he?) control a game and should impose himself much more imo. NDaiye was a solid 5 but that was because our midfield 3 were totally rubbish and supplied the forward/s with nowt.

Hecky sees stuff we don't in training and I'm sure he wants to be a success - he now needs , as you rightly say Pommps , sort it out - i think he will but im concerned that we think the new young lads are worldbeaters , they probably arent and thats why he's nursing them in .

Judge at the end of Sept .

Anyway - up the blades

Back
Top Bottom