My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Always difficult to judge early games especially when the window is open , wish Forest bought Dennis 2 weeks ago but hey.

From watching today I don't think Boro will trouble the top 6 unless it's an even poorer division than last year but they have money to spend and 2 weeks to spend it wisely.

And we have so much attacking talent I hope as the season progresses and everyone learns the patterns and systems we can be more 'front foot' in some away games as well as home, but there are many time a point away is a great point, nobody wins every game

I don't know why this was pumped up as a battle between two promotion rivals. Wilder had already said Boro are not good enough and he wants 5 in before the deadline.
They might very well challenge if he gets his way and gets good players in, but today they looked midtable. I have no idea what his comment of "Sheffield United are ready to rock and roll "actually means.

No mention of the disallowed goal for offside that their defender headed in his own net. The nailed on penalty we didn't get and their second looking offside.
Hecky not getting the breaks at the moment and surely he knows whether two slips of lads are ready for men's football or not. 43 games to go and plenty of time to decide when they are ready. PS I haven't seen the highlights so could be wrong but it looked like that to me at the game .

Based on what Boro did last season a point may be a good point as their home form was the only way they got points but based on where we are and where they are in terms of playing squad as of now we should be winning these if we are to go up.

And we have so much attacking talent I hope as the season progresses and everyone learns the patterns
This is part of what pisses me off. We have gone out and got, what seems, some very good players to compete in the attack part of midfield so Fleck can be replaced, hopefully when PH realise he’s done but we have not bothered to get cover for the fabled Norwood role?? All we have is Norwood and he hasn’t played the Norwood role well for 2 and half years. Apart from the odd match he’s been poor but he has no competiton. When he plays shit it’s like oh well, he will come good because he was fantastic 3 years ago and it’s wearing fucking thin. Even Criticism of him brings out some fans calling critics bedwetters. It is ridiculous that he can’t be questioned and even more ridiculous that we have no cover or options should we need a plan B.
We literally can’t change the system even when he’s out and its piss poor from a supposed professional setup.We appear to have built this team on a foundation of increasing weakness and no one seems to give a toss. There seems to be a mass of people burying their heads in the sand.

All the best teams no when to jettison their players, time catches up with us all but competitive sport is no place for sentiment. He’s been great in the past so he should be thanked for his service, and either moved on or be back up to someone with more physicality about him. We can’t carry on being a one trick pony of a club if we want to challenge for promotion.

Thanks as always Pommps. Depressingly similar "my take", we agree on so much. Same old, same old. I actually didn't see the game live, the usual SUtv fuck up and no alternative. Went to West Brom though midweek and I can confirm it was just the same as you describe here. We can play promotion level football, but just for a few minutes it seems. The old crew run out of steam or feel 15 to 20 minutes hard work is enough to earn their weekly wage. Hecky's lack of ambition will drain the club of any hope. He has some good tools to improve the job, but seems reluctant to try them. The safe boring old route as always. The midfield, apart from Sander Currie - like it - are bereft of ideas and just waiting to draw their pension. I feel so sorry for the front line, no support, no feeds. It was telegraphed earlier in the week that McDonkey would get a run. No matter how the game went or what was needed as intelligent substitutions. Like you, I really don't understand the mentality of the current management team. They have been gifted some real talented loanees. Based on our previous good standing as a progressive footballing Championship team. Why not use them? We will soon lose this respect from Premier league managers if we don't give them good game time. I would rather see us lose, but trying to play exciting attacking football than the dross of this frightened to lose negative method. I remain optimistic that the fucking penny will eventually drop. But hopefully sooner rather than later. I really think this is a shit level Championship, we should be walking it with squad we have.

Pretty fair assessment of the game. A fully fit SUFC, with Ciaran Clarke in defence, and Bogle as wing back, etc., easily win that game. Boro were pretty poor, but were gifted goals, especially the first, down our weak left flank.

From where we were sitting, that was a nailed-on penalty against RND, the guy was literally pushed over in the box.

At 2-1, we had to see the game out. At about the 80 minute mark, it looked like Khadra, stood on the side line, waiting to come on, and a Boro lad as well. The Boro lad comes on, our lad is still stood there. I said to Mrs G, "is there a fault with the 4th officials electronic board?", a few minutes later, the lad sits back down.

7 minutes extra time!, a few minutes into it, two of our lads are on the line, ready to come on, me and the Mrs are guessing who is coming off, ("one of them has to be Fleck, we need fresh legs and some pace"), then they both sit back down again, WTF??

At 2-2, we have to go for it, Boro were there for the taking, plus in that heat, everyone's legs are tiring, ours and theirs.

As has been said, Lowe had a shocking first half, but came back into in the second. At times in the first half, he was jogging around like it was a training game.

If Khadra is still the same Khadra who caused mayhem at BDTBL last season, with his pace and trickery, how the actual fuck does he sit on a bench all game?

I love Hecky, nice bloke, but he needs to seriously think about going for it, sometimes, you can't be nesh against a mid-table side, like Boro.

Finally, since when has there been this big rivalry between the two clubs?, the atmosphere was heated (no pun intended, gloriously warm day), and the bottle throwing at full time was out of control. OK, only plastic bottles, but some were full and coming across at speed.

UTB.

Thought we played OK against a team that will probably be up there. Should have had a penalty on RND first half. Second goal was a really poor one to give away from us. 2 points dropped but still a useful point I think. Would love to know who plays instead if we get rid of Norwood and Fleck. We have barely any players who could play there. And how many games before we deem the replacements not good enough if we have a couple of disappointing results?

This idea that Hecky needs to sort something out ASAP is odd. Taken 4 points from 3 tricky games, 2 of which were away. Got new players on the bench getting up to speed nearly ready to start. Hecky has one of the best records in the league since taking over. Think people need to settle down and see where we are by the world cup break. Not every game we don't win needs to result in a mass clear out of the squad, who have shown themselves very capable at this level. More confident of top 6 now than before the game/season.

It's always disconcerting reading someone's comments about 'me' when they don't even fucking know who I am.

I'm grateful you like My Takes, I suppose ...

pommpey
Pommpey, i don't know you but you're great as a poster, you chuck the lot in,humour,love for The Blades and thinking like most of us do,what's not to like,keep doin' it.

The three lads in brackets have to appear some time next few games, otherwise , do they exist ?I’m guilty of impatience and maybe imprudence as a full season is a long time.
Considering that "chase" we put in to get them to not enough give at least one of them 30 mins doesnt make sense. Plus hecky knows you can make 5 subs now?

I thought their first goal was not great defending on our part. However our second was a gift from them.

Their first showed to everyone that playing RND as a LCB is a fucking huge mistake. He was out wide trying to be an auxiliary LWB helping Lowe. Once they'd skipped past them, Fleck was like a bollard (Norwood too, just look at the replay for that one) their player was clean on goal in the box. The back three was now a back two, and Egan gambled on the short pass rather than the six yard box. The nearest player to Akpom was Sander, tracking back. It was shambolic stuff and came about because the back three were not a tight unit. If anything it showed Lowe and Flecks massive shortcomings working as a pair with one to the ball carrier and the other covering his back.

The second was what it was. McBurnie's man left in acres of space and time whilst he went walkabout to nod a cross he was nowhere near. If he'd stayed where he was, Akpom doesn't get near the ball. Massive chump.

pommpey

McBurnie absolutely infuriating today, the usual slow jogging about up front, looks like.hes put some timber on which seems to have made him even slower and less mobile and what the fcuk is he playing at for their goal

No way brewster was better than berge that's just ridiculous
He runs like my mate, difference is that he's a prop forward for Warrington Wolves and is at least 30kg heavier than McBurnie

RND a 5 and Lowe a 4 is a joke.

They were shaky first half but really good in the second. Particularly RND in a position which isn't his. Lowe showed signs of growing into his career here. 6 minimum for both.

RND a 5 and Lowe a 4 is a joke.

They were shaky first half but really good in the second. Particularly RND in a position which isn't his. Lowe showed signs of growing into his career here. 6 minimum for both.

Lowe was particularly good in the final 20 minutes where he put in some very good defensive tackles and stepped in to cut out their attacks a few times as well.

Makes me wonder why the club have 3 loan signings with apparent potential. I know we don’t see them in training,, but any potential will not be realized if they continue to be unused subs.

And why does Berge disappear so deep after showing his silky goal scoring skills? Someone suggested he shows what he can do, then evaporates to avoid injury? Is that even possible?

In the services, this kind of behaviour used to be called ‘working your ticket’.

The managers' game management and use/timing/choice of substitutions isn't good enough for this level of football. It's especially woefull away from home. as others have rightly pointed out we had 3 mercurial talents on the bench whilst the worst centre forward (sic) since Chris Guthrie gets on the pitch when he shouldn't be at the club.
The greatly concerning part of all this is the manager is bomb proof.
A 5 year contract with the publicly stated " He won't be judged on results" as he was presented to the Sheffield United fans.

Well the truth is he will and is being judged on results if not by a board in absentia but by those that actually matter, the fans.

Yesterday was a great example of a manager totally failing to read the game and what changes would give us not only a great chance of seeing out a win but adding to our goals scored as space appeared in Boros efforts to get the inevitable equaliser. Space that the worst CF (sic) since Chris Guthrie was as likely to utilise and push Boro back as my dead Gran as the old saying goes.
I look forward to the game the day after tomorrow to see if anything from The Riverside has sunk into Barnstownworths finest. I doubt it.

Their first showed to everyone that playing RND as a LCB is a fucking huge mistake. He was out wide trying to be an auxiliary LWB helping Lowe. Once they'd skipped past them, Fleck was like a bollard (Norwood too, just look at the replay for that one) their player was clean on goal in the box. The back three was now a back two, and Egan gambled on the short pass rather than the six yard box. The nearest player to Akpom was Sander, tracking back. It was shambolic stuff and came about because the back three were not a tight unit. If anything it showed Lowe and Flecks massive shortcomings working as a pair with one to the ball carrier and the other covering his back.

The second was what it was. McBurnie's man left in acres of space and time whilst he went walkabout to nod a cross he was nowhere near. If he'd stayed where he was, Akpom doesn't get near the ball. Massive chump.

pommpey
Thats the problem with playing full backs as centre backs. They think like full backs and graduate to the wings. RND is not a LCB never will be because he's not alert to whats going on behind him and he follows the ball rather than the man, JLT has the same problem. Good centre backs track the runners and fill the space where they anticipate the ball will arrive. Paul Mcgrath was a master of this.

For the first goal RND charges out to pick up Diksteel. Norwood could have moved across but he just pointed. Fleck was covering Mcnair and Lowe completely lost Jones. RND should have been tracking the run of Jones in the event he got past Lowe but was not helped by Norwood not coming across to cover Boro's no. 15. Egan sees the danger but fails to cut the cross out. Anel is the one in two minds whether to cover the cut back or the 6 yard box. He also loses Akpom.

For the second goal we lose a header in the air at the back again late on and Mcb's positioning is poor for picking up the second ball. After last weeks solid defence we looked all over the place defensively for both goals and yet again concede a goal where the oppositions forwards are in front of defenders. Clarks hamstring could prove critical over the next few weeks as we look very flakey down the left.

Tell me why we brought in the 3 PL loans then ?
And don't send any of em on the pitch when Fleck can hardly move at walking pace on a hot day

I do understand the frustrations, they're shared.

When we were dominating the ball but not finding the breakthrough at 1-1, the game seemed made for McAtee to come on. A player, we're told, is great at finding little openings and threading a pass. Brewster was making some great runs and nobody was putting him in.

At 2-1, I then thought the game was made for Khadra. Middlesbrough were coming into it a bit more but without really troubling us. I felt we needed some pace up top to relieve pressure and help to get us up the field. Who knows, with Middlesbrough pushing numbers up we might find him in a one-on-one with Lenihan. I like those odds.

Having said all of the above, at 2-1 I can see why you might be reluctant to throw in new signings against a top team away from home.
At 2-2, we're hanging on and seeing less of the ball. Heck has stressed that the new signings need more time to learn how we play out of possession. As bad as McBurnie was yesterday, usually he is very solid at defending set pieces.

I'm not saying I agree with his decisions but I do understand them.
I think he turned a corner in the way he attacked that game and I think the result will have really pissed him off, not least because it was against Wilder.
I think it will have taught him something about his game management. The lessons couldn't be any clearer.

The managers' game management and use/timing/choice of substitutions isn't good enough for this level of football. It's especially woefull away from home. as others have rightly pointed out we had 3 mercurial talents on the bench whilst the worst centre forward (sic) since Chris Guthrie gets on the pitch when he shouldn't be at the club.
The greatly concerning part of all this is the manager is bomb proof.
A 5 year contract with the publicly stated " He won't be judged on results" as he was presented to the Sheffield United fans.

Well the truth is he will and is being judged on results if not by a board in absentia but by those that actually matter, the fans.

Yesterday was a great example of a manager totally failing to read the game and what changes would give us not only a great chance of seeing out a win but adding to our goals scored as space appeared in Boros efforts to get the inevitable equaliser. Space that the worst CF (sic) since Chris Guthrie was as likely to utilise and push Boro back as my dead Gran as the old saying goes.
I look forward to the game the day after tomorrow to see if anything from The Riverside has sunk into Barnstownworths finest. I doubt it.
Chris Guthrie is like a cross between Batistuta and Ibrahimovic when compared to McBurnie.

Back
Top Bottom