Derby fans aren't happy (and I don't blame them)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That fee really winds me up. It’s a disincentive to use the automated system that saves the club money. Instead it encourages you to attend the ticket office and use up staff time. Bananas.

And for the early cup games when the system to load your season card wasn’t working, you still had to pay £1 extra to buy online, and then had to attend to ticket office in person anyway to fetch the bloody ticket. 🤯🤯🤯
My thoughts exactly.
It's a real disincentive to buying tickets online.
So far this season my ticket has not been loaded onto my membership card, so I missed half the Huddersfield game. Had to queue outside the ticket office with 100s of others to get it sorted.
I also bought a Derby ticket online and didn't get my £1 discount - had to email the club to get a refund.
Also, although I've got a membership, there's now no option to load the bloody ticket onto the card, so I had to order a paper one to be sent in the post. It's a complete shambles of a system.

And yet the Derby fans clapped along with it. And have benefitted from it. We couldn't afford to sign Waghorn (wages) at the time they were lower table and we were pushing to come up. They should have been relegated not Wycombe who presumably are not gaming the wage levels.
The FL has shown it cant put pressure on these clubs to change - so maybe we need to do that via their supporters. What do we owe Derby County fans, years of 'hospitality' at the baseball ground in one of the worst rusty throwbacks ever?
But hey lets shaft our club to be fair to other fans who support clubs that cheat!
Bert always enjoyed going to the Baseball Ground even though we usually got beat.

Tight cramped pitch and ground, terracing all the way round, muddy pitch, passionate fans, back streets.

It's hard to think of any grounds left like that now.

Bert always enjoyed going to the Baseball Ground even though we usually got beat.

Tight cramped pitch and ground, terracing all the way round, muddy pitch, passionate fans, back streets.

Agree Bert. And my fave ground, Griffin Park has now gone as well. Used to love it there on a winter's afternoon with the floodlights on and a full house. Up the rickety stairs to the top deck of the away stand after a good session in the Chiswick pubs.....

Agree Bert. And my fave ground, Griffin Park has now gone as well. Used to love it there on a winter's afternoon with the floodlights on and a full house. Up the rickety stairs to the top deck of the away stand after a good session in the Chiswick pubs.....
Grimsby Town was always a great day out.

Did think Hillsborough but there's only muddy pitch and back streets on that list!

is that how the contract is structured? Outsource the catering and take nothing in revenue?

Yes, but there is some linkage between sales and the value of the contract (the flat fee). If you know compass group made x in sales it would make the contract worth y. The more they sell, in theory, the more we get from punting that contract in future - be it to them or a different company. Thus it's in SUFC's interest that Compass group get their act together: they are seemingly not getting the full value for the contract, in turn giving a false picture of its value to future clients (including themselves). It is feasible for SUFC to sign a contract in the future with a provider based upon a % of sales. In theory SUFC would be even more keen to sort out these issues then as we would be directly impacted financially by every pie and pint that isn't sold due to incompetence. I know Liverpool, for example, have signed a shirt deal on these terms. They get 20% of every piece of Nike tat rather than a bigger flat fee.

In the Championship I can only think of Kenilworth Road and Loftus Road which get close; obviously post Taylor Report you're not going to get much terracing.

think its slightly different for away

yes your right the season ticket pricing is fantastic but fans who cant afford it through one reason or another are being asked to pay too high a price for matchday tickets imo and its just not fair
I was specifically referring to the suggestion that the club are in danger of losing younger support due to ticket pricing. I think its particularly important to encourage the younger generation to be a United fan rather than the other option, but I think the club are aware of that.

Lets face it any young teenager who doesn’t ask for a £45 season ticket for their birthday, knowing the alternative is to pay £18 a game, would probably, with that logic, feel more at home at Hillsborough amongst their own kind 🤪

I was specifically referring to the suggestion that the club are in danger of losing younger support due to ticket pricing. I think its particularly important to encourage the younger generation to be a United fan rather than the other option, but I think the club are aware of that.

Lets face it any young teenager who doesn’t ask for a £45 season ticket for their birthday, knowing the alternative is to pay £18 a game, would probably, with that logic, feel more at home at Hillsborough amongst their own kind 🤪
On the kop if they are a Junior Blade its £15/£12/£10 depending on the game. It is £21 to join mind.

As discussed in shoutbox today, Bootham Crescent is another loss, but one with memories for me. Smaller scale, but back to back terraced housing near to the crumbling terraces, smell of woodbine and bovril. Jumper for goalposts etc….

Prices are going up for everything. You used to be able to get gig tickets for £15-£20, now your lucky if you can find anything under £60.

I paid £44 for me and my daughter to go on Saturday, I'll not be able to do that very often but it doesn't make sense to do a season ticket for various reasons.

I've been priced out of various activities over the last year or so (go and have a look how much it is for a family of 4 to do a village screen showing at devil's arse, over £100!) I've accepted that I'm just going to have to stay home more often than not and stop taking the kids out for the day!

Reactions: HVR

No but there was talk of them boycotting the match due to the high prices
I think the price is too high but I am curious if it made a difference - as others have pointed out we boycotted Bolton then sold out our allocation. I do know they had more available but I don’t know if they would routinely take more than turned up on Tuesday to a midweek game of this sort or not

In that case why not charge £40, afterall we're not going to see them again this season at the lane, so we don't rely on their loyalty.

Although SUFC are banking on their loyalty as we played Derby in the cup a few weeks back and they brought probably 1000 fans, maybe more at £15 a ticket (that was what home fans paid). So they're expecting that Derby fans will fill their 1565 allocation at £37 (+booking fee and postage) this time. Fair play you might say lets get what we can

But if we only get 1000 away fans that's an income of £37,000 without considerations for cost or revenue from Kiosks... If we dropped the price to £25 we're most likely to sell out and take nearly £39,125... Not a huge difference, for a third more fans, so presumable there are some minor additional costs but its unlikely to be a huge difference.

The differences between football and a product based market are loyalty, reputation and the almost immeasurable part of it - atmosphere. Its always better to have a full ground on all 4 sides than a half empty away end, especially when the away club comes from just down the road.

As others have said, including our own club, football is nothing without fans and they shouldn't be taken advantage of, even if they are a bunch of sheep shagging bastards :D
Every fan has the opportunity to decide whether they are being taken advantage of or not and then decide to buy a ticket or not.
If a home club puts the price too high and few turn up,they have made a mistake , but the evidence so far suggests that the pricing is about right.
My perception of how the club is run as a viable business during PA’s sole ownership is positive, which is more than can be said of most Championship clubs.

Every fan has the opportunity to decide whether they are being taken advantage of or not and then decide to buy a ticket or not.
If a home club puts the price too high and few turn up,they have made a mistake , but the evidence so far suggests that the pricing is about right.
My perception of how the club is run as a viable business during PA’s sole ownership is positive, which is more than can be said of most Championship clubs.
In simplistic terms, yes you're right, make as much money as we can. As i said, away fans will only come once a season in the league, so you could be tempted to say "fuck em, screw what we can out of them". However, i think there is a way for the club to get small wins, not just financially.

We could apply a similar logic to your statement for the sensory room. We've managed for 132 years without one, so why bother now? To me its about doing the right thing, sometimes that has much more value than financial, but it makes things more inclusive. And thats a nice thing to do.

I'm not one to really get on my high horse about how the club is run, I think often we're doing things the right way, as i said, i think there are many small things which can have a big positive or negative impac, but i think with this pricing issue, its a negative for the club, something we can always do without.

We could indeed do the right thing and sell out the entire 1565 allocation to Derby fans and make ourselves £57,905. We could also drop prices to all away fans down to £28.60 (Cat B price for BL Lower) and bring in much less £44,759. Reputation wise it would perhaps not win us any prizes, but the result would be that there would be no negativity towards the club and its owners, something which could also impact sponsors and investors.

The fact that our own fans have found our pricing for away fans to be controversial is not a good thing.

Lets just hope that the prince uses the extra money to ensure that the facilities are maintained at Shirecliffe... Hot running water would be a good start there, i hear

As discussed in shoutbox today, Bootham Crescent is another loss, but one with memories for me. Smaller scale, but back to back terraced housing near to the crumbling terraces, smell of woodbine and bovril. Jumper for goalposts etc….

Agreed a good old fashioned ground that apart from the away end not having a roof! Accrington Stanley is still a bit old school the last time I went there.

I think the price is too high but I am curious if it made a difference - as others have pointed out we boycotted Bolton then sold out our allocation. I do know they had more available but I don’t know if they would routinely take more than turned up on Tuesday to a midweek game of this sort or not
There were 571 preston fans on Tuesday and they average 1500 away fans. OK it was midweek but it certainly looks like the pricing stopped quite a few from coming.

Being ripped off for the forthcoming United v Derby match. United need to rethink ticket prices for home and away fans.
(The last comment on page one is from a Tyler Durden, surely not.the same one who used to post on here!?)
You'll know it's him if he starts talking about running a car back and forth over someone who offends him.

Being ripped off for the forthcoming United v Derby match. United need to rethink ticket prices for home and away fans.
(The last comment on page one is from a Tyler Durden, surely not.the same one who used to post on here!?)
37 quid to watch that?
The world has gone mad.

I'm not a season ticket holder as I don't live local, and what with a young family and weekday work commitments it definitely would not pay for me to have one.

Whilst I can, and do, often pay the matchday price it does make you question it when you see some of the tickets hovering around 40 quid for championship football.

There were 571 preston fans on Tuesday and they average 1500 away fans. OK it was midweek but it certainly looks like the pricing stopped quite a few from coming.
just checked and the Tuesday 18th September 2018 away at Leeds they took 288 fans, don’t know if that’s a usual amount

In the late 90s when attendances were low I remember the club putting on all sorts of incentives to get younger fans in. There were often big blocks of school children who had been given tickets, quid a kid etc. In my view this (and obv the quality of football on show) has swung a large chunk of that generation to S2.
I am concerned that the current ticketing strategy is based on short term revenue rather than long term growth.

41 quid in certain areas of BL.
Rediculous when considering to watch the game on SUTV live is a tenner and they're subtly promoting using a VPN and giving big discount on said VPN as well for fans in the UK to do just this.

It's almost like they don't want fans at the stadium...

Back
Top Bottom