Derby fans aren't happy (and I don't blame them)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

At least it puts to bed Wednesday’s narrative that we only get big crowds due to cheap tickets

Terrible by United. Whoever at the club that thought that would be a good idea is an idiot.
Surely if you are running a business you charge for your goods and services as much as possible, but taking into account the reducing volume sold as prices increase and other related negative aspects.
If we sell out then the price is right, but if only 500 Derby fans turn up then it was wrong.

Just a bit of perspective, just got email for tickets at Bridlington Spa for Jane Mcdonald(August 22) £46.
No nothing against her and no I'm not going ,just a bit of perspective on football prices.
Still think football should cap tickets but you can understand why they push for as much as they dare. You have fans wanting to sign XYand Z players then moan at ticket pricing.

Surely if you are running a business you charge for your goods and services as much as possible, but taking into account the reducing volume sold as prices increase and other related negative aspects.
If we sell out then the price is right, but if only 500 Derby fans turn up then it was wrong.

This is what I don't get as well. Surely by selling cheaper tickets, you increase the numbers sold and therefore revenue? Add to that sales for food and drink, and more chance of POTG home supporters drifting near to the store on matchday.

It seems self defeating, but then I expect it's all part of pre season budgeting and forecasts.

It's crap anyway, and they need to rethink, or it is going to drive folk away and will drip poison into the supporters relationship with the owner, which isn't the most sturdy anyway.

Just a bit of perspective, just got email for tickets at Bridlington Spa for Jane Mcdonald(August 22) £46.
No nothing against her and no I'm not going ,just a bit of perspective on football prices.
Still think football should cap tickets but you can understand why they push for as much as they dare. You have fans wanting to sign XYand Z players then moan at ticket pricing.

But....

you don't watch Jane McDonald 50 times per year
You're probably guaranteed a good performance
People have to be compensated for having to visit Bridlington

It doesn’t sit well with me, that we’re charging them more to watch the same product as us.

This is what I don't get as well. Surely by selling cheaper tickets, you increase the numbers sold and therefore revenue? Add to that sales for food and drink, and more chance of POTG home supporters drifting near to the store on matchday.

It seems self defeating, but then I expect it's all part of pre season budgeting and forecasts.
The club aren’t stupid and will consider and implement any method that increases revenue.

We’ve tried selling cheaper tickets (cup games) and there’s little motivation from the general public.
Where as for the bigger matches when we’ve charged more…the attendance isn’t effected so much.

Wednesday fans used to complain the same but it was the same there.
Biigger matches people don’t seem to mind paying more. Smaller matches people still don’t go even with big price reductions.

The evidence shows the driving force regards fans attending seems to be the product on the pitch not the price of tickets.

Appreciate the club are trying to run as a busInes and increase income
but if there’s an opportunity to take advantage of fans and get away with it….doesn’t mean you should go ahead and do it.
Gates have remained really good this season but as some point interest will drop off, then people wont pay these prices.

We could lose a number of young fans by pricing them out and dissuade those who can’t afford/ don’t have the flexibility for a season ticket.

It’s about £45 for a junior season ticket, I don’t think there’s any logic to that argument. Perhaps its the pricing for POTG supporters that enable the club to maintain season ticket costs at such a very competitive price point?

Whilst its easy to criticise the cost of individual match day tickets, I think the club should be applauded for their season ticket pricing, which has remained fairly consistent for the last few years. 👏🏻

lets say crowd is 28k average. OTD/Away tickets were on average £35 and then minus the 20k season tickets

thats 8,000 x £35 = £280,000

23 home games so thats 280,000 x 23

£6,440,000 per season

Lets say we cut ticket prices by a 3rd making them on average £23.45

The club would lose £2,125,200 per year

According to sportrac,
Verrips is on £1,000,000 per year
Robinson is on £570,000 per year
Burke is on £456,000 per year

Job sorted ;)

I seem to remember the Chansiri bump at the sty made a circa 1 million pound increase in ticket revenue that reduced year on year as crowds dwindled. For all the division etc I think it's reasonable to question whether it's worth it. They ended up with almost no POTG fans bar away supporters, meaning the majority of this bump came from.season ticket increases. I seem to remember an adult season ticket on their Kop was circa £100 more than a season ticket on our Kop.

It's crap anyway, and they need to rethink, or it is going to drive folk away and will drip poison into the supporters relationship with the owner, which isn't the most sturdy anyway.
What if food and drinks kiosks are closed over winter due to COVID? Or away fans are restricted or even banned?
I hope this isn’t a trend, as I was always proud that SUFC had a fair pricing policy, but the financiers might have sat down and projected a worse case scenario regarding attendances.
It would be a big story if SUFC initially charged £20 for away fans, but then increased it to £35 if the away end had reduced capacity due to semi lockdown. They may have decided a higher price for a constant lower attendance is better than encouraging a higher attendance now only to be restricted later in the season, but still needing to pay stewards and the Police.
Or they could be greedy bastards!

The club aren’t stupid and will consider and implement any method that increases revenue.

We’ve tried selling cheaper tickets (cup games) and there’s little motivation from the general public.
Where as for the bigger matches when we’ve charged more…the attendance isn’t effected so much.

Wednesday fans used to complain the same but it was the same there.
Biigger matches people don’t seem to mind paying more. Smaller matches people still don’t go even with big price reductions.

The evidence shows the driving force regards fans attending seems to be the product on the pitch not the price of tickets.

Appreciate the club are trying to run as a busInes and increase income
but if there’s an opportunity to take advantage of fans and get away with it….doesn’t mean you should go ahead and do it.
Gates have remained really good this season but as some point interest will drop off, then people wont pay these prices.
If they opened up the kop they might find that they sell more of the cheap tickets for cup games.

If you sell out at £37 then cheaper tickets don’t help.
Somewhere between £10 and £50 is the optimum price at which you make most profit.

Well, they weynt be any happier now theyve got a points deduction will they.

In that case why not charge £40, afterall we're not going to see them again this season at the lane, so we don't rely on their loyalty.

Although SUFC are banking on their loyalty as we played Derby in the cup a few weeks back and they brought probably 1000 fans, maybe more at £15 a ticket (that was what home fans paid). So they're expecting that Derby fans will fill their 1565 allocation at £37 (+booking fee and postage) this time. Fair play you might say lets get what we can

But if we only get 1000 away fans that's an income of £37,000 without considerations for cost or revenue from Kiosks... If we dropped the price to £25 we're most likely to sell out and take nearly £39,125... Not a huge difference, for a third more fans, so presumable there are some minor additional costs but its unlikely to be a huge difference.

The differences between football and a product based market are loyalty, reputation and the almost immeasurable part of it - atmosphere. Its always better to have a full ground on all 4 sides than a half empty away end, especially when the away club comes from just down the road.

As others have said, including our own club, football is nothing without fans and they shouldn't be taken advantage of, even if they are a bunch of sheep shagging bastards :D

Don't forget your £1 booking fee per ticket by the way (not applicable if bought at the ground). It used to be £1 per transaction so bulk buying was rewarded.

Memberships are also a joke now: £40 cost. £1 off matchday ticket prices. Or £20 for a junior membership with a £2 discount
The membership discount afforded on matchday tickets is utterly derisory. Despite what the website says you can't even buy a membership card for £40. It's £41...because of the £1 booking fee! What a joke.

The club is going all out to recoup the money lost during COVID it seems.

Charging home fans over £30 for a Tuesday night match against Preston is a piss take.
And the small Preston away following reflected this, its false economy as well as being plain wrong

In that case why not charge £40, afterall we're not going to see them again this season at the lane, so we don't rely on their loyalty.

Although SUFC are banking on their loyalty as we played Derby in the cup a few weeks back and they brought probably 1000 fans, maybe more at £15 a ticket (that was what home fans paid). So they're expecting that Derby fans will fill their 1565 allocation at £37 (+booking fee and postage) this time. Fair play you might say lets get what we can

But if we only get 1000 away fans that's an income of £37,000 without considerations for cost or revenue from Kiosks... If we dropped the price to £25 we're most likely to sell out and take nearly £39,125... Not a huge difference, for a third more fans, so presumable there are some minor additional costs but its unlikely to be a huge difference.

The differences between football and a product based market are loyalty, reputation and the almost immeasurable part of it - atmosphere. Its always better to have a full ground on all 4 sides than a half empty away end, especially when the away club comes from just down the road.

As others have said, including our own club, football is nothing without fans and they shouldn't be taken advantage of, even if they are a bunch of sheep shagging bastards :D
I’m sure there’s a league rule….we can only charge away fans the same as home fans.

So if we charged Derby fans £25…yes they’d bring 1000 more
but then we’d be forced to charge £25 to our fans….doubt extra fans would turn up.
So overall the club will be well down…income wise.

My opinion is there a “straw that broke the camels back” price.
Really think we need to stay close to Champiomship average.
So my opinion is that if we charged Derby £32 then it’s quite expensive but 2,500 would attend
where as if we charge £37 then many Derby fans will think this is a rip-off price, so only 1,250 attend.

There is a football league rule that says you have to charge the away fans the same price as the home fans for a similar position in the stadium. United charge the same at the Bramall Lane Upper Tier. I think the argument could be that the lower tier is the same as the front of the kop and should be the same price as that.

And the small Preston away following reflected this, its false economy as well as being plain wrong
That’s factually incorrect.

Evidence this season proves it’s making sense and justified economically.
Our attendances are easily the best in the division and even the away following has been decent too.
The owner suspects that SUFC are the big attraction in the league this season…so he’s pushed up prices to take advantage of this opportunity.

It’s the morale side that wrong.
Just because you’re able to take advantage of football fans doesn’t mean you do it.
I suppose the arguement might be “proper Blades fans“ would commit to a season ticket and those prices are more reasonable….still wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom