Daniel Ballard

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

On a permanent then yeah makes sense if he was part of a deal. But if they want us to knock off the price of one of our assets so we can take one of there’s pay his wages and return him a better player. No thanks.

Agreed re loans...but getting 20m for Berge and a couple of part exs to make up the difference in fee might be appealing

Agreed re loans...but getting 20m for Berge and a couple of part exs to make up the difference in fee might be appealing
If we get a few we fancy out of their under 23’s on permanents then I’d understand it.

He was an exception
I just look at Carter Vickers and EEL and even Ampadu to some extent

I was just making the point that Man U had a plan for Henderson.

L2
L1
Champ
Prem

Given it's worked very well for them, there's a good chance there are other PL clubs with players who were on loan at L1 last season but are looking at a PL loan this season. Don't just write them off.

Harsh on EEL that. He was fine in the League 1 season and scored a few important goals to boot?
Yes hed did well in L1
But we are looking at being top end Championship
L1 was his level

I was just making the point that Man U had a plan for Henderson.

L2
L1
Champ
Prem

Given it's worked very well for them, there's a good chance there are other PL clubs with players who were on loan at L1 last season but are looking at a PL loan this season. Don't just write them off.

As I said Hendo was an exception
We have had plenty of duds especially from Man U and Liverpool that have gone on to do nothing
Think we should be looking at players who have done reasonably well at Championship level already and are looking to progress to top end Championship

Cashing in on Berge and buying 2/3 average squad players (eg Freeman) is the old United way. Look at teams that have bounced back like Norwich. Despite relegation they kept their ‘star’ assets and they played to win the chance to go back to the PL.
If Berge wants PL footy there’s 2 ways he can do it either get a transfer to a PL side or pull his laces tight and earn it. He’s spent a big part of his career with us injured and not shown much of his capability when he has played just highlights of what he can do.
So, if his headset is that he will earn a place in the PL keep him, if it’s up to his Agent to buy a place in the PL for him let him go but play hard ball.

Cashing in on Berge and buying 2/3 average squad players (eg Freeman) is the old United way. Look at teams that have bounced back like Norwich. Despite relegation they kept their ‘star’ assets and they played to win the chance to go back to the PL.
If Berge wants PL footy there’s 2 ways he can do it either get a transfer to a PL side or pull his laces tight and earn it. He’s spent a big part of his career with us injured and not shown much of his capability when he has played just highlights of what he can do.
So, if his headset is that he will earn a place in the PL keep him, if it’s up to his Agent to buy a place in the PL for him let him go but play hard ball.
Norwich sold Godfrey to Everton for £20 million.

I know it doesn't mean much, but he turns into a solid upper prem player on Football Manager.

Lazy journalism
I think we should be aiming higher than a player thats been on loan in L1 if its loans we are looking at
You mean like Dean Henderson? You can say he's an exception all you like, that;'s a sweeping generalisation.

Name another that has gone on and done something in the game at a decent level apart from Coady
So that’s 2…

Decent level, ok, fair enough. So let’s look at the England squad shall we?
Harry Kane was in League One with Leyton Orient.
Jack Grealish was at Notts County in League One.
Maguire was with us in League One.
Ben Godfrey was at Shrewsbury in League One.
Ben White was even worse off, Newport in League 2 before he went to Leeds and transformed their back line when they won the league.
Ollie Watkins was in L2 with Exeter before Brentford bought him.
Sam Johnstone was at a plethora of L1 clubs before Villa got him.
Pickford the same.

well, apart from them??

Want some a bit closer to home?
Dean Henderson as I said was at Shrewsbury before he ended up here and propelled us to winning the league.
DCL was at Northampton in League 2 from us, as was Kyle Walker.
Ramsdale was at both Chezvegas and Wimbledon.

So that’s 14 of the current extended England squad. That enough for you?

So that’s 2…

Decent level, ok, fair enough. So let’s look at the England squad shall we?
Harry Kane was in League One with Leyton Orient.
Jack Grealish was at Notts County in League One.
Maguire was with us in League One.
Ben Godfrey was at Shrewsbury in League One.
Ben White was even worse off, Newport in League 2 before he went to Leeds and transformed their back line when they won the league.
Ollie Watkins was in L2 with Exeter before Brentford bought him.
Sam Johnstone was at a plethora of L1 clubs before Villa got him.
Pickford the same.
Im talking about loan players specifically mainly those that have been associated with the Blades
Not players that have come from L1 and below to become good players
Im sure I could find a list of players that have come from a PL club been on loan in L1 and never played above that level that list would be a hell of a lot longer

well, apart from them??

Want some a bit closer to home?

DCL was at Northampton in League 2 from us, as was Kyle Walker.
Ramsdale was at both Chezvegas and Wimbledon.

They were OUR players not players we loaned in
As above Im sure I could find you a very long list of players we have loaned out to L1 and L2 clubs that have never played above that level and many that have drifted into non league or out of the game completely

Im talking about loan players specifically mainly those that have been associated with the Blades
Not players that have come from L1 and below to become good players
Im sure I could find a list of players that have come from a PL club been on loan in L1 and never played above that level that list would be a hell of a lot longer

They were OUR players not players we loaned in
As above Im sure I could find you a very long list of players we have loaned out to L1 and L2 clubs that have never played above that level and many that have drifted into non league or out of the game completely
I'm not sure of the point you're making then?
Should we just not sign players from League One at all, even if they're better than the PL reject equivalents?

I'm not sure of the point you're making then?
Should we just not sign players from League One at all, even if they're better than the PL reject equivalents?

The OP suggested Ballard as a loan option from the PL
My opinion is that if we are loaning from the PL we probably should be looking at players that have had a previous loan spell in the Championship and done well and not be going for players that have been loaned to L1 clubs as we are looking to be top end of Championship (hopefully)
I have no problem us signing permanently the very best L1 players like Toney etc

The OP suggested Ballard as a loan option from the PL
My opinion is that if we are loaning from the PL we probably should be looking at players that have had a previous loan spell in the Championship and done well and not be going for players that have been loaned to L1 clubs as we are looking to be top end of Championship (hopefully)
I have no problem us signing permanently the very best L1 players like Toney etc
The problem with that is players that have done well on loan in the championship tend to go on loan to a PL club. It’s part of their progression.
Take Chelsea for example. Their M.O. tends to follow the same pattern, loan a player out to championship or L1 club, club pays a contribution to their wages. Then, if he does well, loan him out at a higher level. At PL level the loaning club will pay the bulk of the wages as a minimum. A player who’s done OK in the PL, well enough to attract another PL loan, will then go on loan for all wages paid, and often with a ‘loan fee’ on top, like Lukaku when he was loaned to Everton (£5m for the season is what was reported at the time). With the players that have done well in the championship, they’ll want to get them in the PL, as they’ll get full wages paid and possibly a loan fee on top (depending on how many clubs want to loan the player).

Let them come up with the money or fuck off. The only alternative is if they give us money and a couple of their top young players on permanent deals.
Agree totally.
They pay the price we demand for Berge and as a part exchange a permanent, brilliant, nailed-on, future prospect.
Presumably these norf landon jerks think they're doing us a favour - taking Berge off our hands and letting us have some unproven youff on loan.
A bit like when pasta-man, calorie counting wenger cheated in the cup game when Steve Bruce took us off the field and wenger offered us a reply! Twat - he should have either let us walk the ball in to their net or had a reply at the Lane.
I realise many do not like Bruce, but I was very impressed with him that day. I just wish we (ie the club) had stood up to them a lot more and pointed out what fucking cheats they were trying to get away with what they did.

Norwich sold Godfrey to Everton for £20 million.
While keeping Buendia, Cantwell, Pukki, Aarons etc, it’s all about losing the players you can replace and keeping those who are irreplaceable ie Buendia. The question is who we can recoup good money for and replace with decent quality. The thought of Berge playing in the right formation and tactical set up next season…

Being linked with a loan deal for Balogun as part of a Berge deal would make much more sense imo, he is a player we’d actually have to pay a fee to loan and would be more unlikely to make the move unless his club influenced the decision

This would only happen if we are having a few strikers leave us first though, and as mentioned previously, we just want cash up front, not developing arsenals players for them

That, or Callum Chambers on a p/ex with cash

Back
Top Bottom