Player Suggestion Ismaila Cheik Coulibaly

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

imagine it’ll come down to our new gaffer and the formations he’ll play and what type of midfielders he’d need to execute that all a bit up in the air at the moment. I expect this saga with Coulibaly to go on for most of the summer as well as a few other United players.

I didn’t realise it was a 3 year loan. I’m assuming we call him back anytime.

Fleck did OK last season.

I might be in the minority but I thought he had an awful season. Despite all the pelters Norwood/Lundstram got, Fleck was not much better. He had a run of 2-3 good games Jan-Feb but was consistently poor outside of this.

We got overrun in midfield, saw little of the ball,noone carried it forward to get us up the pitch and the whole midfield 3 that were the starters last year scored 0 goals and barely an assist. Defensively they got ran through and resorted to just fouling as were so slow (and unfit) and immobile. He was anonymous in most games both defensively and attacking wise.

Fleck may have had a number of injuries but then he never seems to be in shape or beeds half a dozen games to get going after said injury or breaks.

I loved the guy a few years ago but last season he was another who fell off a cliff. Not sure he takes the game seriously enough.

I'd expect him and Norwood to be ok next year at a lower level bit if we want to get back tk the Prem,both are not up to it at the level above so you'd have to replace both.

That said I'd keep Fleck ahead of Norwood and hope he finds some consistent form and fitness but this summer and how he comes back under a new manager will say a lot.

Both are not long term players for us and you'd expect in 18-24 months neither will be Blades players. However be hard to change 7-8 starters in one summer so one who will probably stay.

I might be in the minority but I thought he had an awful season. Despite all the pelters Norwood/Lundstram got, Fleck was not much better. He had a run of 2-3 good games Jan-Feb but was consistently poor outside of this.

We got overrun in midfield, saw little of the ball,noone carried it forward to get us up the pitch and the whole midfield 3 that were the starters last year scored 0 goals and barely an assist. Defensively they got ran through and resorted to just fouling as were so slow (and unfit) and immobile. He was anonymous in most games both defensively and attacking wise.

Fleck may have had a number of injuries but then he never seems to be in shape or beeds half a dozen games to get going after said injury or breaks.

I loved the guy a few years ago but last season he was another who fell off a cliff. Not sure he takes the game seriously enough.

I'd expect him and Norwood to be ok next year at a lower level bit if we want to get back tk the Prem,both are not up to it at the level above so you'd have to replace both.

That said I'd keep Fleck ahead of Norwood and hope he finds some consistent form and fitness but this summer and how he comes back under a new manager will say a lot.

Both are not long term players for us and you'd expect in 18-24 months neither will be Blades players. However be hard to change 7-8 starters in one summer so one who will probably stay.
Fleck wasn't giving the goal away against Leicester when he was being tipped as a 20m Arsenal target the season before.

He was largely anonymous. He didn't manage as many gifts as Norwood but then again you don't when the game is passing you by. If Rangers came in for example and offered 8m I wonder if Jokanovic would take it?

Fleck wasn't giving the goal away against Leicester when he was being tipped as a 20m Arsenal target the season before.

He was largely anonymous. He didn't manage as many gifts as Norwood but then again you don't when the game is passing you by. If Rangers came in for example and offered 8m I wonder if Jokanovic would take it?
8m and the rest

This one interests me no end

A young player like that playing in Belgium already attracting big interest

Would love to see him ply his trade in a red and white Blades shirt next season

Wonder what SJ thinks of him?

I personally think he was a victim of our lacking depth. He had health and fitness issues and I think this was obvious when he played... shouldn't have been near the side imo.

Be a shame if a guy seemingly this talented was signed for us and never actually played for us.

surely we should be looking to see what he can do, especially at a position of need.... that said 13m plus is a whole lot of money which could be

I'd be astonished if anyone offered 8m for Fleck. Decent Championship midfielder, albeit two years older since he was last there, but demonstrably not up to the PL. Too small and slow unfortunately, just gets bossed out the game at that level.

Been a good servant, and cost us nothing, hang onto him for the coming season potentially but would need replacing if we went up. Question is do it now when we might get decent value in incoming players or wait when you're more likely to get bent over?

I'd be astonished if anyone offered 8m for Fleck. Decent Championship midfielder, albeit two years older since he was last there, but demonstrably not up to the PL. Too small and slow unfortunately, just gets bossed out the game at that level.

Been a good servant, and cost us nothing, hang onto him for the coming season potentially but would need replacing if we went up. Question is do it now when we might get decent value in incoming players or wait when you're more likely to get bent over?
Apart from 19/20 season where for 7 months he was fucking superb....

Apart from 19/20 season where for 7 months he was fucking superb....
I think 'fucking superb' is stretching it a bit. He scored 4 or 5 goals, hardly setting the world on fire. But as I said, he has been a good servant for the club.

If someone wants to take him to the PL next season fair play, and I'd wish him the best of luck. I think 8m is cloud cookoo land personally.

I think 'fucking superb' is stretching it a bit. He scored 4 or 5 goals, hardly setting the world on fire. But as I said, he has been a good servant for the club.

If someone wants to take him to the PL next season fair play, and I'd wish him the best of luck. I think 8m is cloud cookoo land personally.
So his performances are dictated by how many goals he's scored.

Ok

So his performances are dictated by how many goals he's scored.

Ok
Not necessarily but given his role in the team and your assertion that he was fucking superb I'd have thought that goals would be a fairly decent measure.

He had a decent spell, but has since been completely anmoumous in nearly every game, scoring zero goals this season. If that's what a club is looking for next season in the PL then we maybe resigned to losing him.

BTW, everyone's favourite scouser Lundstram scored as many as Fleck last season. Probably more assists too.

Not necessarily but given his role in the team and your assertion that he was fucking superb I'd have thought that goals would be a fairly decent measure.

He had a decent spell, but has since been completely anmoumous in nearly every game, scoring zero goals this season. If that's what a club is looking for next season in the PL then we maybe resigned to losing him.

BTW, everyone's favourite scouser Lundstram scored as many as Fleck last season. Probably more assists too.
Kante hardly scored this season.

Had a good season mind.

Anyway, by your own admission he had a decent first season and a poor second.

Dont see how this translates into 'proven he cant cut it at Premier league level.

Yeah....not really comparing like with like there are you.
True, fleck scored 5 goals last season, kante scored 3.

Both scored 0 this season.

Jokes aside mate, it was you who gave the stat of goals scored to determine a successful season.

Anyway, by your own admission he had a decent first season and a poor second.

Dont see how this translates into 'proven he cant cut it at Premier league level.
I don't think he possesses the physical qualities to cut it at that level, as demonstrated by 1.5 seasons out of 2 (the 0.5 being nothing beyond decent).

I think my main bugbear with Fleck has been seeing the amount of stick Lundstram (rightly) got for lack of effort and witnessing pretty similar from Fleck and him getting a free pass. Players go past him like he's not there and he gently jogs back into position. He literally strolls through games and has next to no impact. Just annoys me.

Reactions: SWB
True, fleck scored 5 goals last season, kante scored 3.

Both scored 0 this season.

Jokes aside mate, it was you who gave the stat of goals scored to determine a successful season.
Yeah, not for a defensive midfielder though! Unless you're claiming Fleck and Kante's roles are the same?

I don't think he possesses the physical qualities to cut it at that level, as demonstrated by 1.5 seasons out of 2 (the 0.5 being nothing beyond decent).

I think my main bugbear with Fleck has been seeing the amount of stick Lundstram (rightly) got for lack of effort and witnessing pretty similar from Fleck and him getting a free pass. Players go past him like he's not there and he gently jogs back into position. He literally strolls through games and has next to no impact. Just annoys me.
I dont think fleck has been fit for most of the season. Were that desperate there unfortunately that he's had to play.

Feel hes been a bit hung out to dry.

The main frustration I have with Fleck since we've been in the Prem has been his reluctance to take a shot when he is in a good area.

We know he can strike the ball well, even from a fair way out but he usually opts not to.

Because he can't actually strike the ball very well.....occasionally yes.

I've no idea what the roles of our midfield are anymore to.be honest.

Well that's easy;

Osborn - run around like a headless chicken putting 100% energy into everything, even giving the ball away
Fleck - run down blind-alleys, turn backwards and look for Enda
Norwood - pointing.....nothing else, just pointing

Another example of PA showing he's a shrewd operator and understands football. An interesting one and a very astute footballing / commercial signing. If we make £10m player that has never played for us then consider it a roaring success.

That being said we are going to be very light on midfielders once Berge and Lundstram go, with 3 left. And big question marks over 2 of them. Without knowing too much about the lad, going off consensus in here, an athletic defensive midfield is something we are clearly missing.

I hope we have him for long enough we actually get to see him in the flesh. That’s all.

Another example of PA showing he's a shrewd operator and understands football. An interesting one and a very astute footballing / commercial signing. If we make £10m player that has never played for us then consider it a roaring success.

That being said we are going to be very light on midfielders once Berge and Lundstram go, with 3 left. And big question marks over 2 of them. Without knowing too much about the lad, going off consensus in here, an athletic defensive midfield is something we are clearly missing.
Thank you for getting this thread back on track about the player actually in the title 🙏, unlike the other 2 above you....smh

But how even more astute would it be to take that gamble that Coulibaly can cut it at Champ level, bring him back, get us promoted again and reap a lot more than a £10m transfer fee that we are not desperate for this season. Even if we don't get promoted and Coulibaly shines he would be worth a lot more than £10m.

Back
Top Bottom