Player Suggestion Ismaila Cheik Coulibaly

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Another example of PA showing he's a shrewd operator and understands football. An interesting one and a very astute footballing / commercial signing. If we make £10m player that has never played for us then consider it a roaring success.

That being said we are going to be very light on midfielders once Berge and Lundstram go, with 3 left. And big question marks over 2 of them. Without knowing too much about the lad, going off consensus in here, an athletic defensive midfield is something we are clearly missing.

The Prince is showing that he actually knows what he’s doing with the Coulibali situation & IMO the appointment of Slav (although admittedly the latter may well not work out how we’d like). I’d also wager that buying the French side will reap some rewards for us too re: the work permit issues post-Brexit. Just gives us more options & opens up further scouting networks in a country that is absolutely packed full of quality footballers.

Considering the fact that we have virtually no MF's left and the one's we do all have question marks around them of some sort then I'm really not sure we wouldn't this kid back now it's been proven he can get a WP.

By all accounts he's a true box to box player so would fit into all 3 of the formations that Big Slav has played in this country.

No brainer for me.

Considering the fact that we have virtually no MF's left and the one's we do all have question marks around them of some sort then I'm really not sure we wouldn't this kid back now it's been proven he can get a WP.

By all accounts he's a true box to box player so would fit into all 3 of the formations that Big Slav has played in this country.

No brainer for me.

Would seem logical Plewsy but really boils down to how highly he's rated, whether it's thought he'd add value next season or whether another full season on loan would benefit him (and his value) more

No brainer for me.

The priority this year has to be getting back to the PL. Each year we stay in the Championship, the chance of a return decreases (along with our parachute money).

It's worth thinking about what a £13m midfielder would look like. That's a top, proven, Championship player. Coulibaly isn't that, so at this stage, we'd be crazy not to take the cash in my opinion.

Short term-ism, maybe. But a) short term promotion planning I think is important, and b) if he comes to sunny Sheffield for this season, he'd have to be a standout to be valued at £13m - and that's a massive gamble that I wouldn't want to play.

EDIT: Decision should rest with Slav of course. If he doesn't think he'll be able to get a better midfielder than Coulibaly for £13m, then of course we should bring him over here.

Last paragraph is interesting. Looks like Van Winkle has told Belgium media that Coulibaly will almost definitely be staying at Beerschot..

https://m.gva.be/cnt/dmf20210601_93163672
I think the Serb will bring him back for pre-season to have a look at him .Wouldnt surprise me if he keeps him.If champion league clubs want him then surely he will be good enough to make his mark in the championship for us ,no brainer really

I think the Serb will bring him back for pre-season to have a look at him .Wouldnt surprise me if he keeps him.If champion league clubs want him then surely he will be good enough to make his mark in the championship for us ,no brainer really
I 100% agree mate, I'm just stating what Van Winkle has told the Belgium press recently.

In the meantime, that bug is gone. Due to Brexit, the conditions for being allowed to play football in England as a foreigner have been relaxed. The chance of a positive visa application is determined by a points table on which you must score at least 15 points. Coulibaly is now at 16 points and could therefore play for Sheffield United from now on.

A few weeks ago, strong man Jan Van Winckel told Sport/Voetbalmagazine that the new manager of Sheffield United, Slavisa Jokanovic, will have a say in Coulibaly's future plans. "But I think there is an 80 to 85 percent chance that he will still play at Beerschot," Van Winckel added at the time. Coulibaly was not present at training last week, from 7 June he is expected again at Kiel to prepare for the new season.

He's not got a bad ping but I can't really see why people are that excited about him tbh. Likes a trick but usually ends up with him almost losing the ball. Not that quick.
He's no Barry banana is he.

He's not got a bad ping but I can't really see why people are that excited about him tbh. Likes a trick but usually ends up with him almost losing the ball. Not that quick.
He's no Barry banana is he.
Yeah but he’s only 19. If he listens, works hard at his game and applies himself, one day he might be able to aspire to be.

I dont think fleck has been fit for most of the season. Were that desperate there unfortunately that he's had to play.

Feel hes been a bit hung out to dry.
Fleck needs a rest and a good pre season ,for some to say he can't cut it at prem level wasn't at man city away first season he was head and shoulders .

With the vieira deal collapsing, I wonder if slav will look to recall coulibaly if we are still light in midfield

With the way Beerschot have started the season they'll need all the help they can get. Makes more financial sense for Prince Abdullah to leave him over there and hope he helps them push up the table rather than bring him over here and increase their likelihood of relegation.

I'm sure that if he was thought of as ready to consistently perform at Champ level, he'd already be with the team.

That's obviously not yet the case and a further year playing regularly in Belgium will better aid his development

Last edited:
I'm sure that if he was thought of a ready to consistently perform at Champ level, he'd already be with the team.

That's obviously not yet the case and a further year playing regularly in Belgium will better aid his development

I hear what you're saying, but I know of very few players that AC Milan & Galatasary have bid circa £10m for that aren't ready for tier 2 football in England.

I hear what you're saying, but I know of very few players that AC Milan & Galatasary have bid circa £10m for that aren't ready for tier 2 football in England.

I doubt that anyone on here has seen the detail of those 'offers' but regardless, are you saying the club is wrong to not bring to player back? Would you be saying that if there hadn't been any bids for the him?

I only saw a couple of Beerschot's games last season so didn't see enough of the player to form an opinion. However, from the reports I read, after a very promising and impressive start, his performances dropped to the extent that he was in & out of the side. Perhaps PurpleRain could elaborate.

Personally, I was surprised that clubs the size of those you mentioned were willing to stake that sort of amount on such as player i.e. essentially potential, especially considering the financial challenges teams in those leagues are currently facing.

I doubt that anyone on here has seen the detail of those 'offers' but regardless, are you saying the club is wrong to not bring to player back? Would you be saying that if there hadn't been any bids for the him?

I only saw a couple of Beerschot's games last season so didn't see enough of the player to form an opinion. However, from the reports I read, after a very promising and impressive start, his performances dropped to the extent that he was in & out of the side. Perhaps PurpleRain could elaborate.

Personally, I was surprised that clubs the size of those you mentioned were willing to stake that sort of amount on such as player i.e. essentially potential, especially considering the financial challenges teams in those leagues are currently facing.
If the offers were genuine and still on the table in June, we should have sold him rather than gambling on him improving and his value increasing further. We could probably afford such a gamble if we were still in the PL but I don’t think we can.

If there really were offers in that region, we’re loaning £10m worth of assets to another club when we could do with that £10m ourselves.

If the offers were genuine and still on the table in June, we should have sold him rather than gambling on him improving and his value increasing further. We could probably afford such a gamble if we were still in the PL but I don’t think we can.

If there really were offers in that region, we’re loaning £10m worth of assets to another club when we could do with that £10m ourselves.
We should have sold him he’s our player and isn’t helping us at all playing in Belgium the 10 million would have helped us.

We should have sold him he’s our player and isn’t helping us at all playing in Belgium the 10 million would have helped us.
Unless by keeping them in the 1st Division other players can progress to us with the required ‘Brexit Points’ - so long term, having a Top Side in the EU is worth more than the money we get if we sold him.

Unless by keeping them in the 1st Division other players can progress to us with the required ‘Brexit Points’ - so long term, having a Top Side in the EU is worth more than the money we get if we sold him.
Maybe but we need to go up this season or we’ll be selling off the crown jewels next summer. Being relegated means we can’t think beyond the short term now because we need prem money to supplement our income to allow us to be competitive

Maybe but we need to go up this season or we’ll be selling off the crown jewels next summer. Being relegated means we can’t think beyond the short term now because we need prem money to supplement our income to allow us to be competitive
Do we have any crown jewels 😂

Yes, we absolutely need to go up this year! We are the only team that can keep United World going, my previous comment was thinking about why the Prince might want to keep them up and how it could benefit us, but it will all be meaningless anyway if we can’t get the Premiere League money.

Back
Top Bottom