Wilder willing to return?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was gutted he went but I can’t see this working now I just can’t. Partly because of what you read on here where the fan base is so split on him now. Also does he have it in him to look at doing things differently? Yes I know the 352 thing wasn’t how he started when he arrived and he changed to it with great success but has that seen it’s day and is he willing to look at alternatives? There wasn’t much evidence of that this season. I would hate for his legacy to be even more tarnished than it currently is.

Probably more chance of Roy Chubby Brown winning Miss World than Wilder coming back (second post of the day from me on Roy Chubby Brown, not sure why!) But, should he be considered? Yes, without a shadow of a doubt, I'd take him back tomorrow but I think there would obviously have to be a new relationship and greater flexibility on recruitment and I can't see Wilder doing that. The interview from the Prince, I can't see that helping matters by a long way.

He didn't leave through the back door in my view, or let his players down that have carried on. It became obvious he could no longer manage the way he wanted to because of disagreements with the board, but he never let us down or the players. For those that think the football was awful, look at Fulham with all their millions and played expansive football to get promoted, but they're down too, we can't go toe to toe with the rest of the PL and play expansive football. I do think we could have played with wingers if we'd signed them but no one was complaining this time last season on 3-5-2 were they. And the interviews, largely I thought they were spot on, at times I thought he could have been more arm around the shoulder but, what did we expect from Wilder when we're bottom of the league with 4 points? An Eric Morcambe dance?!

But, saying all that, I'd be chuffed if we got someone like Jokanovic. Having Wilder back would put huge pressure on him to succeed, but it won't happen, surely?!

Last edited:
If - and its a big if - they've backed down and decided to be reasonable, he'll be back. Do I see that happening; absolutely not. Lessons in football are usually learnt the hard way and we/Prince are probably going to learn ours in the upcoming years. If the Prince has come back with a more detailed set of proposals that any self respecting manager would work with, Chris will walk back through the same front door he walked out of. I have no doubt about that ;) .

If - and its a big if - they've backed down and decided to be reasonable, he'll be back. Do I see that happening; absolutely not. Lessons in football are usually learnt the hard way and we/Prince are probably going to learn ours in the upcoming years. If the Prince has come back with a more detailed set of proposals that any self respecting manager would work with, Chris will walk back through the same front door he walked out of. I have no doubt about that ;) .
Backed down from what?

It's quite funny that people think a change from 3 5 2 will yield tremendous results and 3 5 2 is to blame for our failure.

Our failure is signing players who are not Premier League standard, then changing the 3 5 2 into a 5 3 2 at best, but more often than not a 8 0 2 formation that resulted in us hoofing it to two strikers who can't hold a ball up because it's not their game

I was listening to Talksport last night whilst driving.

They were talking about West Brom being relegated and they think Sam Alladyce might stay because they would be the main favourites for promotion next season.
They highlighted that Fulham have too many loanees and Sheffield United are in turmoil and need to get out of the habit of losing.

However they mentioned the huge gap between the PL and Championship.
They said next season the Championship doesn’t look particularly strong....so all 3 relegated clubs have a good chance of being promoted at the first attempt.

One of the presenters...not sure if it was Darren Ambrose or Darren Bent.
He said he was talking to Alan Biggs who said that “if Sheff Utd offer an olive branch then according to him, Chris Wilder is prepared to return”

I’m surprised this hasn’t been mentioned before or is it old news?
Would you take Wilder back? I suppose it depends on what alternatives we have...but it would certainly give the club a boost.
I mentioned it. But it got suggested on here, I’d had been smoking exotic cigarettes.

Next time Chris Wilder is seen at the Lane, he'll be pissed up in a box on John Street with the ladz.

If it’s right I’ll give you the money myself6DDF20EA-1AE2-4FEE-ADC9-E159BCAE2A50.jpeg

As good a manager as I think Wilder is (don’t buy for a second that he is somehow a spent force) he is no longer the best man for the job. Relations with the board will always be tense, the purse strings will always remain tight plus I’m aware that quite a few players were more than happy to see him go in the end.

I hope he has a good career and is able to come back when enough water has gone under the bridge but we need a clean sweep with a new broom.

For me all depends on his relationship with the dressing room. Does he still hold the trust and respect of the players. It seemed to me that when he left the players were all still playing for him and since he left has been quite clear they are not playing for Hecky. CW has made mistakes on the recruitment front but equally I don’t think there was an proper scouting network. If he came back he would have to acknowledge his mistakes and there would need to be clear guidelines for recruitment agreed by him and the club. Not sure he would accept this but if he did I would have him back.

It's quite funny that people think a change from 3 5 2 will yield tremendous results and 3 5 2 is to blame for our failure.

Our failure is signing players who are not Premier League standard, then changing the 3 5 2 into a 5 3 2 at best, but more often than not a 8 0 2 formation that resulted in us hoofing it to two strikers who can't hold a ball up because it's not their game
I get what you’re saying about 352 but we never seemed to even try alternatives. I’m not saying for one second that things would have been different but to not even try to look at other ways of lining up and playing seems very odd.

It's a no from me.
Had a brilliant 4 years and memorable away days, will never forget the last game at Stoke or away at Hull.
Time to move on, also seems strange Alan Knill didn't go with him, unless he's waiting to see where Wilder ends up.

Whoever our next manager is I'll get behind them and at least give them a chance, Wilder included, but it's not going to happen. ⚔️⚔️

I get what you’re saying about 352 but we never seemed to even try alternatives. I’m not saying for one second that things would have been different but to not even try to look at other ways of lining up and playing seems very odd.

Both yourself and JJBlade are right. Changing was usually an after-thought when we were chasing a game - which was always doomed to failure - or forced into it like we were at Brighton. In the latter case it actually worked because we weren't losing at the time. i don't know if that was a fluke but it would have been worth trying it out again (with 11 players on the pitch) but it never was.

Ally that with our abysmal recruitment, which he takes responsibility for, and I'm afraid to say the golden era ran its course, as it always does, but with a spectacular fall from grace and faster than any of us expected, or would have liked.

The brutal truth (my truth, admittedly) is that he's not a PL manager. You can't have one trick to survive in it. The only question is whether he will become a McCarthy/Warnock type or follow in the footsteps of Phil Brown and Peter Taylor.

In the unlikely event that he somehow got reappointed the chances are it would tear the club apart, it would become so factionalised as soon as results took a poor turn.

On that score I also feel sorry for the poor sap who does get the job.

He tried loads of alternatives. There was that time he brought a striker on for Basham and.....

I got nothing.

PRINCE NEEDS TO SELL TO SOMEONE WHO CAN GIVE THE GAFFER SOME ACTUAL MONEY....
You got someone lined up mate?
Last time I looked there weren’t rumours of billionaires queuing round the block from Cherry Street down Shoreham Street to John Street corner wanting to buy us. Should that change then I might agree but until then we are where we are, a medium sized club that has always been owned by small to mediumly wealthy rich people. Before anyone shouts at me for being smalltime Sheffield United again that’s just our reality currently and we can shout at the moon as much as we want this is where we are.

Last time I looked there weren’t rumours of billionaires queuing round the block from Cherry Street down Shoreham Street to John Street corner wanting to buy us. Should that change then I might agree but until then we are where we are, a medium sized club that has always been owned by small to mediumly wealthy rich people. Before anyone shouts at me for being smalltime Sheffield United again that’s just our reality currently and we can shout at the moon as much as we want this is where we are.
its... its a joke bud.

tenor (10).gif

Back
Top Bottom