Player Suggestion Lucas Joao

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If we sign one of McBurnie or Maupay, and then want a punt fifth striker.... and if Chansiri drops the quite frankly ridiculous 8m price tag, I would happily have Joao at United.

Because there is a decent striker in there, who with the right guidance and right manager has a large amount of potential.

Tbf, the Wendys on PT are saying 8m is a stupid fee for him, as he's consistently underperformed and isn't exactly a kid anymore.
He’s 25, almost 26. You can’t be buying 26 year olds because they have ‘potential’.

If we sign one of McBurnie or Maupay, and then want a punt fifth striker.... and if Chansiri drops the quite frankly ridiculous 8m price tag, I would happily have Joao at United.
There's a lot of ifs there H

I've not seen anything in Joao that suggests he could cut it Prem level. He's been unable to hold down a place in the Massive's team and Duffy- Day aside, has struggled to make an impact when he got on.

Considering how much he'd cost (fee & salary), there are many better option IMHO

We could do worse than this guy in my view. If there's a minimum fee release clause, then Joao could be a good addition in my view. In form, fast and powerful, always had the talent at Wednesday and I think he could do a job. Would rather Brewster, don't get me wrong, but I could see him doing well for us.

Apparently hes a mardy lazy so and so. When he loses the ball he does not chase it or owt, just sulks. All of my subzero mates were saying the same thing week in week out when he was at hillsbro.

I'm not sure it'll happen. But IMO there's always been a player in there and pretty sure Wilder has been linked to him in the past (I can't be bothered checking every page to see whether it's in here).

This thread is also pretty telling of how many people judge players off the back of what they think they know about them, rather than actually having seen them. I don't think it took much to see that Joao had potential, but it was so easy for people to write him off as a Wednesday reject.

Apparently hes a mardy lazy so and so. When he loses the ball he does not chase it or owt, just sulks. All of my subzero mates were saying the same thing week in week out when he was at hillsbro.

I've heard similar but then they think Barry Bannan is Pirlo, or they did, so not so sure I value their opinions anyway! I'm sure there is some truth in his attitude, but I think Wilder would get the best out of him if we went for him and I haven't noticed the Moose running all over the shop to close people down either!, But how much do we miss him!

I love a "Wednesday reject" from time to time, we've done well out of most of them in fairness! Right back to Wilf Rostron - he's the earliest I remember from them, Carl Bradshaw, via Man City another early favourite, but Leon the obvious standout. Madine did a job of course. I think, talent wise Joao is good enough for the PL.

Fair enough, but if we can't afford the transfer fee for a Brewster, or similar from the PL and we may need the other loan for a player to replace JOC, then I can't think of a better Championship forward within our bracket. I'd love Adam Armstrong, said that so many times, but you wouldn't get any change out of £15m maybe even more based on the current market, even with Covid and lack of crowds. In the Championship market, and for what we need with pace, power and creativity, I think Joao is right up there. He's also tall at 6.4 and although maybe not a natural header of the ball he'd be a presence also and you could play him off any other the other strikers we've got because he's so different.

Fair enough, but if we can't afford the transfer fee for a Brewster, or similar from the PL and we may need the other loan for a player to replace JOC, then I can't think of a better Championship forward within our bracket. I'd love Adam Armstrong, said that so many times, but you wouldn't get any change out of £15m maybe even more based on the current market, even with Covid and lack of crowds. In the Championship market, and for what we need with pace, power and creativity, I think Joao is right up there. He's also tall at 6.4 and although maybe not a natural header of the ball he'd be a presence also and you could play him off any other the other strikers we've got because he's so different.

If we were still in the Championship then maybe.

He wouldn't be my personal choice B4 although I remember there being rumoured interest from CWAK a couple of years ago that was quickly extinguished when it was learned how much he was at at the Massive.

However, with Reading top of the Champ and with owners who seemingly either don't understand or don't care about FFP, plus their recent stance on John Swift, I would expect it would take a similar amount to Armstrong and even Brewster to prise him away. For that sort of amount, there are much much better players available.

He wouldn't be my personal choice B4 although I remember there being rumoured interest from CWAK a couple of years ago that was quickly extinguished when it was learned how much he was at at the Massive.

However, with Reading top of the Champ and with owners who seemingly either don't understand or don't care about FFP, plus their recent stance on John Swift, I would expect it would take a similar amount to Armstrong and even Brewster to prise him away. For that sort of amount, there are much much better players available.

Was just thinking the same.

I like him and think he's a very decent striker but with how reluctant they've been with Swift chances are they'd be even more reluctant regarding their prolific striker.

Have I missed something here? Can someone tell me what he's done to deserve a move to the premier League?

Have I missed something here? Can someone tell me what he's done to deserve a move to the premier League?

Most fans said that with Burke who our fans are realising has qualities we don't currently have. He's not my first choice. I brought up this suggestion as its a week to go to the end of the window and he's an option, that's all.
Was just thinking the same.

I like him and think he's a very decent striker but with how reluctant they've been with Swift chances are they'd be even more reluctant regarding their prolific striker.

I think you're right re Reading but I did say if there's a minimum fee release clause, which they may or may not be. If there isn't one then I think they'd play hard ball but I could see Joao far more likely to try and push through a deal than Swift.

Another goal and another assist last night, although Reading lost to Coventry, 3-2.

Six goals and three assists so far this season (and three goals in cup competitions).

Fast, six foot four, and knows where the net is.

Scored again last night (goal and an assist)

18 appearances - 14 goals and 5 assists (plus 3 cup goals).

5 million quid, great bit of business by Reading.

Scored again last night (goal and an assist)

18 appearances - 14 goals and 5 assists (plus 3 cup goals).

5 million quid, great bit of business by Reading.
I'd take him for sure, but he'd cost two to three times that now and Reading won't sell I doubt, plus why would he join a team destinded for the drop. I noticed Swift scored last night also, I really wish we'd got him. I wouldn't be surprised if Reading push for the top two in the second half od the season. They've got some very good players.

I'd take him for sure, but he'd cost two to three times that now and Reading won't sell I doubt, plus why would he join a team destinded for the drop. I noticed Swift scored last night also, I really wish we'd got him. I wouldn't be surprised if Reading push for the top two in the second half od the season. They've got some very good players.

Yeah that ship has sailed with Joao, I think. To be fair, wasn't it a bit of an odd deal anyway, Chancer sold him to his mate, who owns Reading? Not sure he would have been sold to anyone else.

They could be losing Olise & Richards in this transfer window though

Scored again last night.

On the losing side though, Brentford go top of the Championship.

Never mind his goal in the same game the lad we should have signed in the summer scored one and assisted the other two. That's another 20m+ Brentford will get this summer unless, as looks likely, they go up and hang on to him

Back
Top Bottom