No Money For Transfers or Loans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I will raise you Forbes magazine who came away with a figure of 56 million for the 19/20 season after interviewing the Prince (no idea if that includes bonuses). The Phipps statement retweeted by the Prince was very carefully worded and revealed nothing imo.

Which falls nicely into my £50-70m range :)

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that SUFC will post a profit in 2019/20 but that cashflows will be at best neutral. That's the issue - the Prince doesn't have the available cash to bankroll any further investments and the amortisation this season and next will go from c£15m to c£30m.

Hart, Sturridge, Welbeck, Wilshere= Free transfers

Ramsdale, Brewster, McBurnie, Berge = £85 million

Hmm....

I doing so, we would have paid over the odds for wages and for little guaranteed fitness, availability or impact. We would be worse off on wages, without any guarantees of being any better on the field.

I can't believe we are going the rest of the season inc FA Cup, with that threadbare midfield. Just 1 loan and/or Freeman back would surely make sense.
I do think the outlay on a couple of midfield loans would have been worth it, just to field a more competitive team

These are the main concerns for me, just getting an extra midfielder or two in, just for a bit of temporary added depth.

I doing so, we would have paid over the odds for wages and for little guaranteed fitness, availability or impact. We would be worse off on wages, without any guarantees of being any better on the field.

These are the main concerns for me, just getting an extra midfielder or two in, just for a bit of temporary added depth.

We would hardly be worse on the field would we? No guarantee with anyone's fitness/luck, as we have seen with Berge et al.

This one wants highlighting.

We all know Blades Analytics works in the pro game, so I'd suggest his estimates are far more valid than many of the experts on here.

£35-38m per year is shockingly high for what we've got, yet people have been seriously suggesting we should have signed Joe Hart, Danny Wellbeck, Jack Wilshere et al.
These crocks were all at big clubs and would have been earning significantly more than £100k per week. Chuck in national insurance and pension contribution and any one of these would each add an absolute minimum of £7m per year to our wage bill.

Going down with a £38m wage bill is bad enough although there will be some relegation clauses to reduce it a little for next year. Would we really want to be Brighton, spunking £100m per year, just for a seat at the table?
That will be our PL wage bill. Even before anyone leaves I'd fully expect the club to have relegation clauses which reduce the wages considerably.

Let’s face it, there was always a strong possibility it was going to end that way. Unless you’ve got a billionaire owner or one of established top 10 clubs it’s always going to be a matter of time before you have another stint in the Championship or lower. Look at Bolton, they had 10 years in the Prem and less than 10 years later they’re in League Two.

Bolton are in the shit because they 'went for it' paying huge wages to players who were getting on in years
Okacha, Djorkaeff just to name a couple, it worked in the short term but when they got relegated to the Champioship they were fucked, similar to Portsmouth
The lack of a long term strategy and no financial plan in place if they got relegated was stupid in the extreme
No wonder their chairman at the time Phil Gartside wanted to make the PL a closed shop as he knew the consequences if / when they got relegated

So transfer fees are relevant but the wage bill isn’t? I actually think it’s the other way round. If we have done things properly which I believe we have then we shouldn’t be going down lumbered with silly contracts. That should put us in a very strong position.
We may have to sell a couple of players to raise some funds as well as the players wanting to move. I’ve said it before but it’s mainly the wage bill that gets clubs into financial difficulty. This is the main reason why we haven’t got these established players who can hit the ground running in the premier league. It’s been a risk bringing in the players we have and it hasn’t worked but the bigger risk would have been going all out on wages and that not working either.
I agree. The relatively low wage structure is the reason why we haven't been able to get experienced Prem players and have had to buy young/from the Champ, but it's also the reason why we should be financially secure next season

He’s too young to remember Rush, Thompson, Peters and too daft to recall Hendrie for example.

Before someone mentions McGrath, he was unique.
Yep McGrath played for years with knees close to collapsing, but as you say he was unique, he couldnt train properly for years

Which falls nicely into my £50-70m range :)

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that SUFC will post a profit in 2019/20 but that cashflows will be at best neutral. That's the issue - the Prince doesn't have the available cash to bankroll any further investments and the amortisation this season and next will go from c£15m to c£30m.
We have borrowed against projected income, cash is not the problem especially when players are paid for throughout the duration of their contract.

Bolton are in the shit because they 'went for it' paying huge wages to players who were getting on in years
Okacha, Djorkaeff just to name a couple, it worked in the short term but when they got relegated to the Champioship they were fucked, similar to Portsmouth
The lack of a long term strategy and no financial plan in place if they got relegated was stupid in the extreme
No wonder their chairman at the time Phil Gartside wanted to make the PL a closed shop as he knew the consequences if / when they got relegated

Both Bolton and Portsmouth played in cup finals (Pompey won the cup) and also played in Europe. Where does our playing it safe, prudent financial management get us exactly? A couple of seasons in the top division every 10-15 years with the odd stint in League One? It’s highly likely there isn’t a blade alive who has seen us play in a major cup final.

Our under achievement is probably a separate debate to be fair.

Some good points Deadbat I agree with some of it and disagree with other parts. it Is all opinions about what goes on behind the scenes I don’t think we will ever fully know the truth about transfers and who the manager may have wanted.
With you, "Robboblade", it sure as h*ll is always about opinion. You've got nothing to back up the numerous claims you pop up to make all the time. You're found out time after time, but always come up with your delusional, fixed ideas about Wilder being God etc. Ah well, I won't go on, but being a sad b*stard, I just had to vent out my anger after having read some tens to hundreds of your delusional posts. I truly am sorry. But have to acknowledge I feel much better now having told you the things as they are.

We have borrowed against projected income, cash is not the problem especially when players are paid for throughout the duration of their contract.

I don't think paying the players is an issue which is why our wages are so low. The issue is more likely to have been the staging of payments to other clubs for transfers: for example while we'll write the £17m signing of McBurnie off to the P&L over 4 years it might be that Swansea demanded the cash over two.

I also don't know what the timing of the payments from the PL is for merit and TV. If they pay out at the end of the season we'd have to borrow at the start of the season to get the cash in.

We have borrowed money up front it does not matter when selling clubs demand paying for them but as stated it is usually staggered throughout the length of the players contract

Both Bolton and Portsmouth played in cup finals (Pompey won the cup) and also played in Europe. Where does our playing it safe, prudent financial management get us exactly? A couple of seasons in the top division every 10-15 years with the odd stint in League One? It’s highly likely there isn’t a blade alive who has seen us play in a major cup final.

Our under achievement is probably a separate debate to be fair.

Premier League football has changed dramatically since Bolton were last there mainly due the increase to the vast amounts of money that now can be earned. It has also changed as you also need a very rich owner to have a prolonged stay in that League due to tranfer fees and the very high wages you have to pay for decent PL players

By the sounds of things you want to us to go down the Bolton route win a cup get relegated go into admin a couple times and end up in L2 with a chance of dropping into non league whilst not having a pot to piss in
I think the Bolton fans would trade that cup win to be a stable club in the Championship for the foeseeable future

Revenue earning probably for two seasons other clubs have had many years of earning those types of figures
Wealth of Chairman nowhere near top 30
There is £50m worth of stadium / assets to pay for
So the misery might continue then

We may have paid out a lot in transfer fees but we appear to have kept to a strict wage budget, which is evidenced in the fact that both Villa and Fulham outbidded us on wages for Cash and Robinson.

Almost all of the players we've signed since getting promoted have been a good age (under 25) with plenty of room to improve and resale value.

I'm sure we could have gone out and tried to get some old hasbeens who right now are better than the likes of Brewster, Ramsdale and Bogle, but if it had all gone tits up (like it has) then we would have been absolutely buggered now financially.

As it stands we're going down but with a youthful team that for the most part will only get better. And it's far better equipped to compete in the Championship than a team of Wilsheres and Welbecks.

The recruitment may not have been perfect but there was a clear strategy in place from the get go, and we've stuck to it.

We may have paid out a lot in transfer fees but we appear to have kept to a strict wage budget, which is evidenced in the fact that both Villa and Fulham outbidded us on wages for Cash and Robinson.

Almost all of the players we've signed since getting promoted have been a good age (under 25) with plenty of room to improve and resale value.

I'm sure we could have gone out and tried to get some old hasbeens who right now are better than the likes of Brewster, Ramsdale and Bogle, but if it had all gone tits up (like it has) then we would have been absolutely buggered now financially.

As it stands we're going down but with a youthful team that for the most part will only get better. And it's far better equipped to compete in the Championship than a team of Wilsheres and Welbecks.

The recruitment may not have been perfect but there was a clear strategy in place from the get go, and we've stuck to it.
Yep, we may only have 5 points, be on our way back down and the worst PL team ever (currently) but we’ve stuck to our strategy. Get in!

thats a very interesting take on the situation maybe their trying to piss chris off so that he makes the decision for them i would like him to stay and have a crack at getting us back up but think if things are not going well by the end of october they will sack him
Or maybe rumours about Chris leaving a few weeks back were true and he’s been persuaded to stay until end of season to give board time to find good replacement. I hope he stays but he may decide he needs a break. Got to say he looks like he has aged a lot over last few months ( as us Blades fans all have !)

Let’s face it, there was always a strong possibility it was going to end that way. Unless you’ve got a billionaire owner or one of established top 10 clubs it’s always going to be a matter of time before you have another stint in the Championship or lower. Look at Bolton, they had 10 years in the Prem and less than 10 years later they’re in League Two.

There is a few clubs that will always be at the top while the rest of us could be in the Premier League one season and down in League One in no time.
Look at the championship - there are lots of ex premiership teams relegated and all fighting to get back. It will be a slog next year unless these future players hit ground running , I fear that hangover will continue unless we at least win a few matches in second half of season. Let’s not forget that when in league 1 we dreamed of playing in championship ! Wilder called it out correctly When he mentioned how many seasons we had in premier league in last 30 years!

When we were promoted 2 seasons ago many doom mongers predicted this season results happening last season, so I will take this on the chin, blame COVID, blame no fans in ground etc etc but I’d still remember last season with pride and hope we can rebuild

With you, "Robboblade", it sure as h*ll is always about opinion. You've got nothing to back up the numerous claims you pop up to make all the time. You're found out time after time, but always come up with your delusional, fixed ideas about Wilder being God etc. Ah well, I won't go on, but being a sad b*stard, I just had to vent out my anger after having read some tens to hundreds of your delusional posts. I truly am sorry. But have to acknowledge I feel much better now having told you the things as they are.
Wow what a tirade! Have I not backed everything I have said about wages or have you just decided to miss that little tit bit of information. You don’t agree with me good I don’t want you to agree with me I’ve seen some of the shit you post on here and it’s laughable. I would be worried if you did agree with me.
If I talk so much bollocks then there is an ignore button get it pressed flower if not suck it up and move on. I’m glad you feel better if nothing else, have a cracking evening.

In fact Flying Duck looking at your post history I would say your own club has much bigger issues than us. Enjoy the Coventry game.

Thing is Wilder held all the cards before.

New contracts given every few months seemingly to him..subtle comments about the squad would see him get a player here or there. He asked the Prince for bit more money for signings...McBurnie, Berge, Ramsdale, Brewster all came in for money SUFC have never even entertained.

Yes he did not get Cash and Robinson but still was given sizeable fees even taking the wage argument out if it.

Training ground being upgraded after he kept mentioning that was another example.

He basically to some degree dictated everything and the board gave him most things they could. Yes he would have liked more on wages of course and even more money but I think overall the board have done what they can to help him. His success and what he did meant noone would question him or his decisions.

His star could not have been higher. He was the darling of the media and PL in March.

Now in less than a year...his reputation has nosedived so much it is shocking and upsetting as a huge fan of his.

His signings have been panned and mostly disastrous since the summer sadly. The consensus nationally are that his tactics and style has been worked out and we are on the verge of being the worst ever side in top flight history. We are a laughing stock and he is presiding over that.

He may get the monk on all he wants but the owner and his board will not allow more funds to be squandered and rightly so. He has had his chance really and has fucked up massively on recruitment. Not sure anyone can argue too much on that.

I am not being harsh to say Ramsdale and Brewster might feature in the 3 worst signings (fee wise...yes I know the wages argument comes into it) this Premier League season for the whole league. I am struggling to think of any others from the summer at say 15+ million that have had less impact or looked so much out of their depth. I know they are young and may improve.

If I was Abdullah I'd tell him get the players you believed in and nagged me for the money to sign,to perform or move some of them on/recoup some and then we will talk again.

Wilder can moan and grumble about not getting any more money but for once I am not in agreement if that is the case. The season has gone. It's too late now.

If he walks over that then I am not sure the football world would offer much sympathy at all. If he resigned as he felt that he'd gone as far as he could and it was just all too much mentally and he needed a break/wanted players to gave a different voice etc then that's different. I did see that happening and still might.

The above may come across as anti Wilder. It's not. I do stand by the critique of his signings particularly last summer.

I maintain and always have I want him here next season and hopefully for years to come.

I do think he needs to lose some of the stubbornness and also realise that he has to get more out of certain players. He has signed them so internal improvement/development/coaching like he did albeit at a lower level needs to be more of a factor.

I think he needs to evolve the side/style and build another great side/way of playing. Like Ferguson did at Man Utd.

I don't agree if we are not straight back up he has failed. I see no issue us staying in the Champ for a few years if he was building something sustainable for us hopefully getting back to the EPL. Fans may have to accept that he may have to change half a dozen at least of the side. In the short term losing the continuity may lead to it taking longer but may be good in the long term.

But going back to the point if he spat the dummy out about not being allowed more signings/money now then he's treading a thin line. The Prince now holds the cards. If Wilder did walk his next job would be a mid table Champ side at best after this season. People may scoff at that but you are only as good as your most recent season/s in terms of attractiveness to employers. I recall managers like Dowie, Howe, Wagner, Jewell all having promotions aplenty but now noone is remotely interested in them and a few just left management.

I think Wilder is better than them but you get my point. He could be back at Lg 1/ 2 before you know it. Football is a tough business and a few bad seasons and a manager can be done at the top level...see Adkins...similiar type managerial trajectory to Wilder. Now can't even sniff a job.

Wilder needs to be careful as his tantrums (if there are any and not sure his no comment is that so maybe people are reading between the lines a bit too much) will not impress a board that have seen him effectively throw away 50+ million on 4 players who have not improved the side at all and Bogle maybe apart (and hes only had maybe 1 or 2 decent Prem games) look like players not good enough for this level.

He needs to just get on with things with the squad he has built now...granted a few injuries but he was the one who chose to sign Rodwell, Jags, Foderingham, Jack Robinson etc....all players he does not trust to play for the most part.

As I say I love Wilder and believe after a bad season if he stays he will come back re-energised and we will see a different side and maybe approach come Augus

absolutely spot on - agree on every point you make - no need for further discussion and thread over !

Yep, we may only have 5 points, be on our way back down and the worst PL team ever (currently) but we’ve stuck to our strategy. Get in!

Ah, selective quotes taken totally out of context to try and prove a point. You've got to love the internet. Move along now, son, whilst the adults talk.

In fact Flying Duck looking at your post history I would say your own club has much bigger issues than us. Enjoy the Coventry game.
Very childish a comment from you indeed, but I do reckon I justly deserve some such kick on the b*lls. I could've been much more constructive on the message board, yes. Anyways, SUFC is the team I support. For me supporting SUFC does not mean blind allegiance to Chris Wilder (I don't think you need to be reminded of your own posting history, do you?), nor does it mean that I'd be so base as to label fans disagreeing with me as supporters of another team. And deffo not collaborating with the admins to get fellow-supporters to be banned from a fan forum. Do you feel good about that?

Very childish a comment from you indeed, but I do reckon I justly deserve some such kick on the b*lls. I could've been much more constructive on the message board, yes. Anyways, SUFC is the team I support. For me supporting SUFC does not mean blind allegiance to Chris Wilder (I don't think you need to be reminded of your own posting history, do you?), nor does it mean that I'd be so base as to label fans disagreeing with me as supporters of another team. And deffo not collaborating with the admins to get fellow-supporters to be banned from a fan forum. Do you feel good about that
Log off at 5.45 come back on just after full time 😂😂😂😂😂😂. Bad result tonight for you fella you walked straight into this. Enjoy league one piggy.

Log off at 5.45 come back on just after full time 😂😂😂😂😂😂. Bad result tonight for you fella you walked straight into this. Enjoy league one piggy.
People wiser than me would tell me to not to answer, but being as I am, I can't but do so. First, I don't have a clue about the times people are logging in into the chat. I'm not interested in such stuff, nor would I even try find out when you've been logged in and when not. My laptop tells me I'm logged in all the time, and that's that. I'm not always on the computer though. I wouldn't know anything at all about your suggestions, was it not that you indicated that I supported Wednesday. So I gather that the exact times etc. you've come up with here are somehow supposed to match up with times Wednesday are on field today? Am I correct? Whatever, I didn't even knew they were playing tonight, because I couldn't care less. And I live abroad. All this having been said, I personally still believe that you are a Blades fan, albeit a very thick one. But we come in all sorts of stripes. I hold no grudge towards you. Just wish + and am happy to know not every Blades fan is as thick as you or that pal of yours residing in Hamburg.

Back
Top Bottom