Deadbat's Season Preview & Predictions 23-24

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What strikes me is the sheer number of ins and outs at every club and the transfer window isn't closed

If you went through your 22/23 season game reviews, and took an average score for each player, does your above view of Berge stack up against it?
Do you disagree with him? If you do on this subject, you don't know football. Just for your info. So choose wisely.

Do you disagree with him? If you do on this subject, you don't know football. Just for your info. So choose wisely.
I never said I did. I implied that I didn’t think his own ratings backed up his statement. My recollection is him marking Norwood and Berge down a lot unnecessarily.

But I’m happy to be wrong, and to be honest, definitely don’t bother working it out for the sake of it, Deadbat, it’s not worth it pal 👍🏻

Oh and Slim Man, as a rising star as THE forum talker of bullshit and showing yourself to be quite a dim light, I definitely bow to your advice about wisdom. Good luck defrosting those peas tonight, I know it’s hard for you to fathom.

I never said I did. I implied that I didn’t think his own ratings backed up his statement. My recollection is him marking Norwood and Berge down a lot unnecessarily.

But I’m happy to be wrong, and to be honest, definitely don’t bother working it out for the sake of it, Deadbat, it’s not worth it pal 👍🏻

Oh and Slim Man, as a rising star as THE forum talker of bullshit and showing yourself to be quite a dim light, I definitely bow to your advice about wisdom. Good luck defrosting those peas tonight, I know it’s hard for you to fathom.
You’ve just took him to ask now you’re telling him not to bother. Make your mind up.

Also - joke’s on you End, I don’t even like peas.

We will agree to disagree respectfully.

I think in terms of ability and value discounting the 2 City lads it was Ndiaye, Berge, Anel and the rest a fair way behind.

I know little about the new players other than the odd bits and clips so will wait and see
Thought you were in agreement when I said I was hoping to sell Berge when we emailed each other last year when we were discussing the loans we had in SUFC history?

Thought you were in agreement when I said I was hoping to sell Berge when we emailed each other last year when we were discussing the loans we had in SUFC history?

I think he has his weaknesses but I also think weirdly he will be better in the Prem with more time. He's been up and down but still would have kept him now after losing Ndiaye. However if Hamer and Doyle come in then I'm less concerned if course!

However my point in Berge being our second most talented player and was the one after Ili went I was most comfortable playing at the next level- remains. I don't think we had/have lots of superior players to him. Anel is the only one left ability wise that was even close...granted not watched or sure on the new lads as step up from leagues they were - maybe Sousa apart.

An excellent read, thanks Deadbat.
Hope you are wrong re the Blades. The results against the lesser teams will define our season.

Looki
20) Sheffield United

I’m known as a pessimist by nature but it is hard to see us staying up as we lack quality, goals, and pace/athleticism in the key areas of the field at this level. It is disappointing that we get back within two seasons and yet seem badly organised and prepared off the field and thus it has left us scrambling around for foreign bargains hoping some will pay off. The Ndiaye sale was an absolute killer blow to us having any chances of staying up I feel. Now it seems Berge is going too – to a promotion/relegation rival. I get we have little money and of course not been able to attract a new owner/investment but fans can still be frustrated and feel it is an opportunity wasted. Some will say do not over spend/we cannot spend money we do not have but losing your best players a week before the season seems an incredible plan.

They may say we need to maximise what funds we can get for players out of contract but why not just keep those players or how about this, do whatever you can to keep/extend your better players? I am not sure what the answer is as we cannot spend what we do not have but it is worrying we have not (yet) utilised the loan market for two solid UK players – yes I know dominoes may fall end of the window but we were playing for snookers by that time last time we were at this level.

Can we afford to wait as a better start is imperative? We have been promoted since mid April and here we are 4 months later scrambling around to fill a side, let alone squad.

The things you can be optimistic about is that promotion was gained with a minimum of fuss and the players will have confidence of winning games, at least to start with. Some of the squad will want to prove themselves after the disastrous way they went down last time. The new lads are an unknown commodity and so teams may not know what to expect. There is also a move towards signing younger players and reducing the age of the squad and the profile of the player we sign (ones with a potential sell on value).

I also feel the passionate Blades fans can have an impact and the Covid season really negated a big factor in United’s armoury. When the Lane is rocking, it can be a real advantage for us and you hope this can help us pick up points and wins we did not last time – recall lots of narrow defeats early on last time out? We also have a manager that will want to prove himself too at this level.
The ‘big’ flip side is that this is worse than the side that went up and probably on a par with the one that went down meekly a few years ago (Ahmedhodzic is here but we had a better keeper in Ramsdale and more experienced striking depth probably back then in McGoldrick and even Sharp/Mousset – the latter was rarely fit granted).

The lack of goals in the side is a real worry and we lack creativity to hurt teams – Burnley can counter and Luton can go physical in contrast. We seem to be a functional side but the areas we struggled with last time at this level– pace and athleticism – not sure we have upgraded significantly. I am concerned that at the end of the last campaign, our main tactic seemed to be get it to Iliman and McAtee. Both are now not here.

The general approach to creating goals was an issue last time we were in the Premier League and we had no real plan. I hope I am wrong but the likes of Foderingham, Robinson, Norwood, Fleck and even the youngsters Jebbison/Osula are not really Premier League players (at least not yet in the case of the latter two) in my opinion. Hope I am proved wrong but a lot depends on one or two of the newcomers adapting very quickly and being starters every week.

We have some solid performers in Egan, Baldock and Ahmedhodzic but the other 8 places we lack players who could confidently say are ‘Premier League.’ McBurnie was hit and miss last time and the others I have discussed were part of a side that could barely muster a win. Slimane, Larouci and Traore are yet to prove themselves at this level too. Trusty did well at Birmingham and gives us depth. United must start better than last time and ensure we make the Lane an important place – much like Forest did last season – and then anything we get on the road can be seen as a bonus but it’s going to be a long hard slog. The reality is there can not be many sides as under prepared and lacking in quality – after losing their 4 best players (2 permanent and 2 loans returning).

Manager: Paul Heckingbottom – Began his managerial career very well at Barnsley but made little impact at Leeds and Hibs and I felt when he was recruited to head up the Blades academy, that he conceded he would probably be more in a coaching role, than a number one again. Yet after he did ok in his caretaker spell, he was brought back after the Jokanovic experiment did not work. He was so close to taking us up in his first season after steering us away from nearer the bottom and then was so effective last season and did it with little fuss. A likeable guy but now a whole new test awaits him. He will come under scrutiny when we inevitably go on losing runs, from the national media and his own fans, but needs to stay calm and ensure that the players stay together as at times when struggles occur. I worry he will carry the can if we are right at the bottom and not winning games when clearly he has been given an almost impossible task. It was going to be hard before we sold our star man but now it seems unthinkable we can survive doesn’t it?

In
Anis Ben Slimane – Brondby, undisclosed
Benie Traore – BK Hacken, undisclosed
Yasser Larouci – Troyes, loan
Austun Trusty – Arsenal, undisclosed

Out
Iliman Ndiaye – Marseille, undisclosed
George Broadbent – Doncaster, undisclosed
Zak Brunt – Barnet, undisclosed
Jake Eastwood – Grimsby, undisclosed
Enda Stevens – Stoke, free
Theo Williams – Fleetwood, free
Kyron Gordon – Released
Jack O’Connell – Released
Billy Sharp – Released
Oliver Arblaster – Port Vale, loan
Harry Boyes – Wycombe, loan
Finley Potter – Barnet, loan
Dylan Wharton – Gainsborough Trinity, loan

Key Player: I had Ndiaye...then Berge! Now? No idea. Anel remains but the rest of the team is miles off other than a couple of solid pros. The fans are probably the best chance United have of staying up. What a cop out!
Deadbat’s pointless trivia: We are still the only English league side to field a starting XI made up of full England internationals. In 1904, United’s starting X1, from keeper to striker, had an England international in every position.

Verdict: I hope I am wrong and everyone comes back at the end of the season and says ‘You idiot! You should have believed in your team!’ I just struggle to see the creativity and us being able to score enough goals we need to stay up. We are devoid of quality. The left side of defence also worries me and teams will exploit this. It is so frustrating we have not moved forward in the ownership situation. Without significant funds to upgrade half the side that is not quite Premier League level, it is going to be a long hard slog and many fans go into the season with trepidation rather than excitement. Granted we may have a few in by the end of the window but can we afford to wait and throw away a month and get off to such a bad start again.

Other competitions + leagues.

FA Cup – Arsenal
League Cup – Newcastle United

Champions League – Real Madrid
Europe League - Liverpool
Europa Conference League - Fiorentina

Championship

Promoted: Leicester, Southampton and Sunderland
Playoffs: Stoke, Leeds and Millwall
Relegated: Rotherham, Cardiff and QPR

League One

Promoted: Bolton, Reading and Blackpool
Relegated: Port Vale, Cheltenham, Stevenage and Northampton.

League Two

Promoted: Notts County, Stockport, Gillingham and MK Dons
Relegated: Sutton and Harrogate
---
Regards,
Deadbat – @Deadbat_DB
Looking good for our prediction.

Looki
Looking good for our prediction.

Yeah sadly

Well off on Spurs, Wolves, Burnley and Bournemouth so far although think first two will drop off and other two will improve a bit.

Back
Top Bottom