Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Conroy and Tibbot ? ,Cant get the ground (St andrews ?) ,but good to see Tibbots left his car at the side of the pitch.
Ah, the Invacar, which stood for invalid carriage, only in light blue and started out with 150cc Villiers engine, distributed free, initially to injured WW2 veterans.
By 2000 they were judged to be unsafe, can't think why, so they were all recalled and crushed.
For more useless information, you just have to ask

Ah, the Invacar, which stood for invalid carriage, only in light blue and started out with 150cc Villiers engine, distributed free, initially to injured WW2 veterans.
By 2000 they were judged to be unsafe, can't think why, so they were all recalled and crushed.
For more useless information, you just have to ask
I remember a photo of a glasgow derby where there must have been 50 parked around the pitch. Remember the Bug for the more able bodied ?
See the source image

I always thought it looked like a lump of Red Leicester cheese
A bloke on our road had one of these back in the late 50s, you had to lift the bonnet cock your leg over inside to kick start the engine as you would a motor bike. We used to pike out of our front room window and watch him perform, brightened up many a dreary school day morning1964_Bond_Minicar_Mark_G_Tourer (1).jpg

Well there you go. That just proves that my knowledge of music only goes so far!

Yes, David Woodhouse was my brother-in-law, the only Wednesday fan in the family. I believe he originally lived up Crookes way but when he married my sis in the 1990s they were living on Bingham Park Road and eventually moved to the posh bit of Dobcroft Road. A nicer bloke you couldn't wish to meet and so it was easy to forget his allegiances to the other lot. He was that rarity, a Wednesday fan who had a realistic outlook and with whom you could have a proper chat about football with.
I knew David from Henry Boots. As you say, he was as nice a bloke as you could wish to meet. He used to be QS on quite a few jobs I did did them. Never any trouble with payments n measures and would always enjoy a bit of football banter. He told me the tale about doing the work on our kop and struggling to get paid, once having a cheque for £100k bounce on him.

Never met him for many years after that, then bumped into him at Parkhead just before he died. Was nice to chat with him for a few minutes before going our separate ways.

After the clear up, nice photo SB not seen this before.
I was wondering were the photographer was stood when he(excuse the sexisum it's my ageisum)took this.
Found this, taken later but before the reconstruction took place.High St towards Fitzalan Square Walshes burnt out after Blitz then turn right into Change Ally.jpgWas he really on the burnt out Walsh's store on the right?
I thought he may have been on one of the tramways maintenance vehicles, used for overhead cable maintenance. Remember them? A lorry and on the back a telescopic tower.

What year was this?

Snig Hill, 1940s?

Is that a Lowry illustration ? :)

After the clear up, nice photo SB not seen this before.
I was wondering were the photographer was stood when he(excuse the sexisum it's my ageisum)took this.
Found this, taken later but before the reconstruction took place.View attachment 96331Was he really on the burnt out Walsh's store on the right?
I thought he may have been on one of the tramways maintenance vehicles, used for overhead cable maintenance. Remember them? A lorry and on the back a telescopic tower.
Angel Street in early 1950s according to a FB group

When was the Mucky duck built then ?
Debate on the exact siting of the Black Swan throughout the ages is one that has been going on for a long time with Sheffield Historians. Some claim after the Blitz it was rebuilt on the opposite side of Bank Street to the original footprint.
Photos show it became a single story building thanks to the Luftwaffe,

Debate on the exact siting of the Black Swan throughout the ages is one that has been going on for a long time with Sheffield Historians. Some claim after the Blitz it was rebuilt on the opposite side of Bank Street to the original footprint.
Photos show it became a single story building thanks to the Luftwaffe,
There's been a Black Swan in that approximate position since 1850ish, one in the old Pond Street too. I certainly remember it being single story building in the early 1950s, as to its exact location, I'll have to sit on the fence.

England Youth in 1963. Spot the two Blades players
View attachment 96340
Top l to r; Cowen (Chelsea), Smith, Chatterley (Villa), Harris, Sammels, French (Shrewsbury), below French are Sissons (West Ham) and Jones (Bury). Whittaker (Arsenal is just above Badger.

Interesting story about Graham French.
Graham Edward French (also known as Graham Edward Lafite) is an English former professional footballer, who was best known as a winger for Luton Town.

French started his career as an apprentice with his home town club Shrewsbury Town, and signed professionally in 1961. The talented young winger became an England youth international, and Chelsea boss Tommy Docherty was interested in bringing him to Stamford Bridge – however, Docherty was put off by French's suspect temperament, and he signed for Swindon instead. He left for Watford a year later, who let him go after only four games to join non-League Wellington Town (Telford Utd)

Later career
A shooting incident in a pub in 1970 resulted in him serving a three-year prison sentence. Luton Town gave him the chance to return on his release, but prison life had taken its toll on French, and he was unable to regain his place in the team. A short loan spell at Reading proved to be a last hurrah, and he soon left to play in the United States with the Boston Minutemen. He only made three appearances for the Minutemen, and spent two years out of the game before reappearing in 1976 with Southport under the assumed name of Graham Lafite.

Top l to r; Cowen (Chelsea), Smith, Chatterley (Villa), Harris, Sammels, French (Shrewsbury), below French are Sissons (West Ham) and Jones (Bury). Whittaker (Arsenal is just above Badger.

Interesting story about Graham French.
Graham Edward French (also known as Graham Edward Lafite) is an English former professional footballer, who was best known as a winger for Luton Town.

French started his career as an apprentice with his home town club Shrewsbury Town, and signed professionally in 1961. The talented young winger became an England youth international, and Chelsea boss Tommy Docherty was interested in bringing him to Stamford Bridge – however, Docherty was put off by French's suspect temperament, and he signed for Swindon instead. He left for Watford a year later, who let him go after only four games to join non-League Wellington Town (Telford Utd)

Later career
A shooting incident in a pub in 1970 resulted in him serving a three-year prison sentence. Luton Town gave him the chance to return on his release, but prison life had taken its toll on French, and he was unable to regain his place in the team. A short loan spell at Reading proved to be a last hurrah, and he soon left to play in the United States with the Boston Minutemen. He only made three appearances for the Minutemen, and spent two years out of the game before reappearing in 1976 with Southport under the assumed name of Graham Lafite.
Must have been quite a talent SB, space had to be made for him in a Swindon team that included Mike Summerbee and Don Rogers. I believe he still holds the honour of scoring Luton Towns best ever goal

Back
Top Bottom