Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bert was batting in the nets once without pads. Bate sent a very fast one down and cracked Bert on the shin.
A twat indeed.
Presume it was a “Corkie”and not a “spongie”. Only time we had pads was at school and then we only had the one pad which you put on your leading leg. Mind you seen it a dozen times when some dumplings put it on the wrong leg.🤭😪

Presume it was a “Corkie”and not a “spongie”. Only time we had pads was at school and then we only had the one pad which you put on your leading leg. Mind you seen it a dozen times when some dumplings put it on the wrong leg.🤭😪
It was a corkie and it was a bitumin wicket.

All conjecture, I'm going for Hoyland, body shape, Lewis, Hamilton and the double goal scorer GL Shaw, Graham always turned his waistband over to shorten his shorts giving them a distinctive shapeView attachment 96130
I am sure the Liverpool centre-half was Dick White! I have no memory of him, even though he played plenty of games for them.
From the England photo you put up, did you see Ron Flowers was at the Wolves game on Sunday? (On Match of the Day) Hasn’t got all that blond hair any more...

I am sure the Liverpool centre-half was Dick White! I have no memory of him, even though he played plenty of games for them.
From the England photo you put up, did you see Ron Flowers was at the Wolves game on Sunday? (On Match of the Day) Hasn’t got all that blond hair any more...

Yes , I saw Ron and thought he looked pretty good for 93 !

He was one of several good players from South Yorks. who was scouted for Wolves at the time , Peter Knowles being another and I once met the bloke who did it .

It was in a pub in Wath when I was about 20 and he was a distant relative of a lad I was knocking around with who was not interested in football , but knew that I was and introduced me to him . What a character ! He looked a bit like Angelo Dundee and I spent a fascinating half hour talking to him .

He came across as being one of the most shrewd and knowledgeable football guys I ever met and I remember coming away wishing that he was working for the Blades .

Couple of interesting facts within that article, Graham Shaw scored 2 penalties in 3 minutes, love to know which way he sent the keeper, in today's game, Liverpool would have been down to 9 men, and the front page of the program states, accomodation for 35,000 under cover, honestly say I've never noticed that on a match day program from that era

Yes , I saw Ron and thought he looked pretty good for 93 !

He was one of several good players from South Yorks. who was scouted for Wolves at the time , Peter Knowles being another and I once met the bloke who did it .

It was in a pub in Wath when I was about 20 and he was a distant relative of a lad I was knocking around with who was not interested in football , but knew that I was and introduced me to him . What a character ! He looked a bit like Angelo Dundee and I spent a fascinating half hour talking to him .

He came across as being one of the most shrewd and knowledgeable football guys I ever met and I remember coming away wishing that he was working for the Blades .
Mark Crook was the scout's name I think? He discovered Bob Hatton as well amongst others. Wath Wanderers were a feeder team for Wolves

Mark Crook was the scout's name I think? He discovered Bob Hatton as well amongst others. Wath Wanderers were a feeder team for Wolves
The Wolves of that era certainly produced a succession of good players. Sounds like we missed out on a number of ‘our own’.

West Bar, November 1984.
Sorry about the road sign on the second one..

View attachment 96142

View attachment 96143
I believe the second photo shows what is now an apartment block started life as a men's doss house called the Penny Lollup also known as the Old 600.
I think the tiny windows were cubicles, the story goes and don't shoot the messenger that a rope was stretched along the inside, which you lolled on to go to sleep, when it was time to get up, the rope was slackened so you woke when you fell to the floor, breakfast was tea and bread and dripping all for a penny!! Bargain!!

I believe the second photo shows what is now an apartment block started life as a men's doss house called the Penny Lollup also known as the Old 600.
I think the tiny windows were cubicles, the story goes and don't shoot the messenger that a rope was stretched along the inside, which you lolled on to go to sleep, when it was time to get up, the rope was slackened so you woke when you fell to the floor, breakfast was tea and bread and dripping all for a penny!! Bargain!!
Possibly true. I've read before where dossiers slept like that. No problems with not wanting to get up. Just cut the line. Could also be the origin of the word hangover.

Looked like that the other week after paintballing. The young 'uns who work for my lad decided to pick on me for some reason. Bastards.

Known as “death squads”. Sadly giving someone “one behind the ear” was immediate expulsion if caught.

For many years it was a sort of warehouse type store selling bed linen and all range of stuff. Someone on here will remember the name.

Couple of interesting facts within that article, Graham Shaw scored 2 penalties in 3 minutes, love to know which way he sent the keeper, in today's game, Liverpool would have been down to 9 men, and the front page of the program states, accomodation for 35,000 under cover, honestly say I've never noticed that on a match day program from that era
I think the 35000 under cover was on almost all the 1959-60 programmes (I don’t have all of them). I assume the roof on the Kop has been extended for the start of the season. I suspect the claim was rarely tested, and that it did not take into account wind-speed and direction!

He only did it because Bert hit one straight over his head the ball before.

Bert doesn't hold a grudge, well not much of one 😂
I bet it hurt because from experience, I know Dick Bate was pretty fast in his day!
A strange bloke....

Correct Sean, it was a wholesale clothing warehouse, called P W Lacey
Household textiles also believe any thing made of cloth of one sort or another and probably most household requirements. West Bar was the centre of such emporiums. Bradford Woollens was another large warehouse and there were other smaller warehouse establishments in the area. Where Bradford Woollens was situated originally I cannot remember but they eventually took over the Don Cinema mid 50's. It's a storage for hire place now. The Don was next to the Mosley Arms which is now a solicitor's I'm told.
If anyone is interested in "artistry in burnt clay", Lacey's old building is a delight, and well worth the once over.

Master Bate was a form teacher in our year at Abbeydale Grange in 1975-78 and I can confirm full weight twat ut not in the same league as Howard Wilkinson.
Do you remember Dowdswell (keith)? Head of PE, did nothing but practice his golf shots on the top pitches. Think he had something to do with scouting players for Chesterfield. My memory isn't what it was but I'm sure Bate was still there 80/81.

I left Abbeydale in 1973, played for the school team from age 11 to 17. I can recall Dick Bate coming in for a couple of training sessions. He was hard and different. Looking back I think that's what a lot of youngsters needed.

We had Dowswell (KD) taking us for training plus Maths, RE teachers who just happened to have a free period and available to 'supervise' us. These teachers adopted a soft approach. In hindsight it was all a waste of time really.

Dick Bate may well be taking some stick on here but I'm sure he was a hard 'so and so' because he wanted us all to become better players.

Another excellent coach in those days was John Adams - North east Regional coach.

Back
Top Bottom