Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Grew up with the tramcars, super trams are light railways, and how marvellous they were. One could hop on and off almost where ever one wanted to be, very practical. Loved them as a kid, exhilarating ,especially going down Duke St. front bay and on 'prince' and Millhouses to Abbey Lane when they gave it some welly. Found them most useful as a teenager up to their demise. Intended to go the last night, sad to say the weather put me off. think I'd got wet during the day and didn't fancy it.
Been to Crich , enjoyed it but not the same as a working system.
I still think that the old system should never have been scrapped, but the car was king & look where that has got us.
I'm a little younger so,wasn't around for the old system but their are quite a few old Sheffield survivors, mainly at Crich, but a couple elsewhere as well.
Of the Roberts cars, 2 survive, 510 at Crich & 513 although owned by the Beamish museum is on loan at the East Anglia Transport Museum. (Below)

View attachment EATM.mp4

I still think that the old system should never have been scrapped, but the car was king & look where that has got us.
I'm a little younger so,wasn't around for the old system but their are quite a few old Sheffield survivors, mainly at Crich, but a couple elsewhere as well.
Of the Roberts cars, 2 survive, 510 at Crich & 513 although owned by the Beamish museum is on loan at the East Anglia Transport Museum. (Below)

View attachment 76582

I think I vaguely remember the trams in Sheffield, but I must have been very young back then. What year did they scrap them? Was it 62? if so I'd have been 5, so probably just within memory. I certainly remember all the roads being ripped up to get rid of tram tracks. And then 20 or so years later, all the roads being ripped up to put in tram tracks! For the "Supertram" - a tram that isn't a tram, linking nowhere to nowhere in particular.

I've been to Beamish and Crich, but I wasn't aware of this East Anglia Transport Museum. I'm not a transport buff btw, but I do like to see old cars, buses, lorries, etc., from my childhood. It's very nostalgic and brings back some nice memories. I was always really interested in cars as a kid - my parents didn't drive so we never had a car until my eldest brother passed his test and bought one of these...

1586500647356.png

A Ford Popular. The very same colour too!

I was also very scared of some lorries, like this one...

1586500895867.png

The Ford Thames.

And this one...

1586501041883.png

The Albion Chieftain.

Why was I scared of these lorries? Because when I was a very young kid I used to go down the rec to play. The rec was down a long, fairly narrow, red ash lane and at the end of that lane there was a construction company called "Kearns". They had a fleet of lorries, like the ones above and they'd come belting down the red ash lane, creating clouds of red dust and making one hell of a noise. But it was more than that. I saw them to have faces, and I didn't like the faces on these two, that pig-nosed Ford Thames above with its long narrow gob, and this Albion above with knucklehead appearance and big gob. They were just evil looking things and as they came belting down the back lanes, emerging in a thunderous red cloud and snarling and growling - well, it reminded me for all the world of that monster in the film "night of the demon".

1586501652098.png

I am not scared of lorries any more by the way. I did grow out of it eventually. I might pluck up the courage to go to Lowestoft to see that transport museum, when all this lock down shite is over.

(BTW - if you've never seen "Night of The Demon" - then here's a little trailer for you - still scares me now!

Last edited:
That’s very interesting, you can quite clearly see where the actual shed was.
I seem to remember there was a small gate and steps leading to a footpath on the left as you go over Archer Road bridge. The path took you along the railway lines to the front of the sheds but you had to run the gauntlet incase the Foreman spotted you. No elf and safety then fortunately.

I seem to remember there was a small gate and steps leading to a footpath on the left as you go over Archer Road bridge. The path took you along the railway lines to the front of the sheds but you had to run the gauntlet incase the Foreman spotted you. No elf and safety then fortunately.
That's exactly how I remember it too, KS!
We used to creep about exactly the same. I recall a big two storey shed, where we played a king of skittles with big bolts lying around, across a metal plate floor, with a huge hole down to the floor below. Then we were chased off by probably the same chap, although since he was driving a shunting engine at the time, it was pretty easy to get away. Health and safety indeed. :)

I think I vaguely remember the trams in Sheffield, but I must have been very young back then. What year did they scrap them? Was it 62? if so I'd have been 5, so probably just within memory. I certainly remember all the roads being ripped up to get rid of tram tracks. And then 20 or so years later, all the roads being ripped up to put in tram tracks! For the "Supertram" - a tram that isn't a tram, linking nowhere to nowhere in particular.

I've been to Beamish and Crich, but I wasn't aware of this East Anglia Transport Museum. I'm not a transport buff btw, but I do like to see old cars, buses, lorries, etc., from my childhood. It's very nostalgic and brings back some nice memories. I was always really interested in cars as a kid - my parents didn't drive so we never had a car until my eldest brother passed his test and bought one of these...

View attachment 76588

A Ford Popular. The very same colour too!

I was also very scared of some lorries, like this one...

View attachment 76590

The Ford Thames.

And this one...

View attachment 76591

The Albion Chieftain.

Why was I scared of these lorries? Because when I was a very young kid I used to go down the rec to play. The rec was down a long, fairly narrow, red ash lane and at the end of that lane there was a construction company called "Kearns". They had a fleet of lorries, like the ones above and they'd come belting down the red ash lane, creating clouds of red dust and making one hell of a noise. But it was more than that. I saw them to have faces, and I didn't like the faces on these two, that pig-nosed Ford Thames above with its long narrow gob, and this Albion above with knucklehead appearance and big gob. They were just evil looking things and as they came belting down the back lanes, emerging in a thunderous red cloud and snarling and growling - well, it reminded me for all the world of that monster in the film "night of the demon".

View attachment 76593

I am not scared of lorries any more by the way. I did grow out of it eventually. I might pluck up the courage to go to Lowestoft to see that transport museum, when all this lock down shite is over.

(BTW - if you've never seen "Night of The Demon" - then here's a little trailer for you - still scares me now!

Some lovely photos there.
I've never been to the EATM, but it looks like it's worth a visit. I've always liked industrial history, & transport played a large part in the industrial revolution alongside the development of our towns & city's.
The last day of the Sheffield trams was the 8th October 1960. Glasgow was the last british city to get rid of old style trams in 1962.
Blackpool obviously kept the one line as a tourist attraction.
The logic behind getting rid of them was very short sighted, cars were starting to take over & they were said to cause traffic jams. Had we had the foresight to spend a little on modernising the system, taking them away from other vehicles as had already been done on Prince of Wales Road & Abbey Lane, I think Sheffield would have developed differently over the last 6 decades & would probably have been better for it.

Queens Road, central works for Sheffield, built there last Tram in 1946, car number 501, a prototype for the last of original (non supertram) trams, numbered 502 - 536 that's were built by Charles Roberts company of Wakefield up to 1952.
Queens Road works was still used up to the mid 1980s, but was demolished in 1993, the old Netto, now Asda & a small retail park are where the works used to be.
The tram lines were still in place in the entrance gate for many years. I think they were eventually covered over with tarmac. The Roberts cars were and still are a thing of beauty. if they were running now they would still look modern and sleeek.

Unfortunately I think the Roberts cars were starting to have structural issues even though some of them were less than 10 years old when scrapped.
Having said that a lot was probably down to poor infrastructure maintenance as the lines were gradually closed.
They do still look modern though & with an updated interior could have lasted many more years.
I would recommend anyone interested in the old Sheffield system to get a copy of this book, it's over 40 years old now, but still the definitive book on public transport in Sheffield.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think the Roberts cars were starting to have structural issues even though some of them were less than 10 years old when scrapped.
Having said that a lot was probably down to poor infrastructure maintenance as the lines were gradually closed.
They do still look modern though & with an updated interior could have lasted many more years.
Much like many of the Standard classes of steam locos, scrapped after a very short life in the rush to modernise the railways. Such a waste of money, then they continued in the same vein with early diesels, ordering large batches of locos only to realise that they weren’t fit for purpose and scrapped them with only a few years of service.

Much like many of the Standard classes of steam locos, scrapped after a very short life in the rush to modernise the railways. Such a waste of money, then they continued in the same vein with early diesels, ordering large batches of locos only to realise that they weren’t fit for purpose and scrapped them with only a few years of service.
And all in the name of "progress".
We really are very short sighted in the UK. A lot of continental city's took the opportunity of rebuilding war torn city's with transport systems at there heart.

Who remembers the old football special trains from back in the day , used to be a great atmosphere on them but no wonder they always used to put the old carriages on them as they used to get wrecked
View attachment 76610
Best way to travel back then what a buzz when you reached the destination

According to the source, this was the drawing plan for the John Street stand, designed by Archibald Leitch - you get a glimpse of the completed stand in this video @2:00.

Just love these old clips. Looking at the crowd in the beginning and their match day clothes and hats and watch fobs. At 50 secs guy down centre and just to the left hand side looks like he may have a home shirt on. Surprised some players wore leggings too and all the young guys look the same. Thx HB.

I can’t remember what year they finally stopped em , as said before my last ride on one was the Hull match they were probably still running after but we’d moved onto more civilised modes of transport .. a transit van complete with all in one pub bench borrowed for the Sat as temporary seating .
Didn't go too well on sharp bends though usually ended up with bodies & beer spread all over the place !

Back
Top Bottom