Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just further along Archer Road there was a S&E building (can't remember what they did).

When I was about 13 we had to go out from school (Abbeydale) individually to a local company to find out how their business operated. Anyway I chose that S&E business.

Went there all innocent and all around the factory there were centre folds from Playboy, Mayfair, Penthouse etc. I couldn't concentrate on what the boss man was telling me.

Got back to school and had to make it all up about what the company did.

Further on Archer Road there's an off licence. I live just off Bannerdale in the early 1990's and used to use that off licence as they'd sell real ale in a 4 pint plastic container.
S &E was a milk depot ,they built a gym in its place ,Im also off Bannerdale ,but we always used Victoria Wine at the bottom of Woodseats.

The trams lined up on Fargate

View attachment 76634

Lovely selection of photos from the past SEB. Interesting for someone like me who's not a native Sheffielder to see the development of Pond Street as once was. Looking at the images it seems as if there was once factories in or around Pond Street, so it's character has changed completely. Even before the current malaise, I can't recall Fargate that busy. I wonder if the populace of Sheffielder was actually larger than we're lead to believe it currently is.

Who remembers the old football special trains from back in the day , used to be a great atmosphere on them but no wonder they always used to put the old carriages on them as they used to get wrecked
View attachment 76610
Remember getting one to Bolton in 1984. It was basically a knackered old engine pulling about 20 cattle trucks and took 3 hours to get back. Edwards' consolation goal proved vital as it turned out.

Yes, sorry I was trying to reply to Sitwell's post 15, 780, but pressed the wrong button.
It was Thornton's factory on Archer Road, July 1988

Ah, makes perfect sense, just around the corner the small shopping precinct at Millhouses. Nice part of town too. All the way up to Totley and beyond, a strong Blades support catchment area.

Lovely selection of photos from the past SEB. Interesting for someone like me who's not a native Sheffielder to see the development of Pond Street as once was. Looking at the images it seems as if there was once factories in or around Pond Street, so it's character has changed completely. Even before the current malaise, I can't recall Fargate that busy. I wonder if the populace of Sheffielder was actually larger than we're lead to believe it currently is.

Pond Street up to the 1940s was mainly housing.

5867c5a437c4a_PondStreetSheffield.jpg.a4092db5f430e6aec3a1b8450e7a1943.jpg

5867d5c1d3e1d_PondStreetSheffield.jpg.44bd735f46bc78e05c6d7a21a5220016.jpg

In this one, you can see pre-university and fiesta

image.jpg

Ah, makes perfect sense, just around the corner the small shopping precinct at Millhouses. Nice part of town too. All the way up to Totley and beyond, a strong Blades support catchment area.
Other end of archer rd, still not far though.

1st as stated 1920
2nd 1947
3rd 1955
The first one is definitely Pond Stret. You can see St Marie's church spire to the right. Just to the left is the dome of The Lyceum, and further left is the white/grey shape of the Central Library. I would differ with you SEB on the date of 1920. The central Library was started in 1929 and completed in 1934. As the building looks complete I would say the photo was after that date.
Edit. I meant to quote Silent Blade's query in this post as well.

Last edited:
Yes, sorry I was trying to reply to Sitwell's post 15, 780, but pressed the wrong button.
It was Thornton's factory on Archer Road, July 1988
Best school trip ever not much of a choice to be fair , Chester Zoo, Conisborough Castle and the Industrial hamlet. You got a free bag of toffees at the end.

Other end of archer rd, still not far though.

Wasn't being literal. Coming from London, Sheffield's original designation as a 'large' city initially struck me as a tad misleading, but I'm now used to it and it's a good size with a football team to be proud of. If anyone asks, isn't that the whole purpose of life?

Pond street was where my fathers parents lived and where their children were born.
Was always told that years ago there was another pub on Pond Hill apart from Black and Queens. Any ideas?

The first one is definitely Pond Stret. You can see St Marie's church spire to the right. Just to the left is the dome of The Lyceum, and further left is the white/great shape of the Central Library. I would differ with you SEB on the date of 1920. The central Library was started in 1929 and completed in 1934. As the building looks complete I would say the photo was after that date.
Edit. I meant to quote Silent Blade's query in this post as well.

1920 is stated on the first photo, you're looking at the second one dated 1947. 😉

Totley Bittermen...remember them well, I also played snooker for Ecclesall Baizerippers. 👍

Back
Top Bottom