Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes they certainly did. Express dairy. I used to spend ages mesmerised by the crates of milk shuttling across high up on the conveyor above the archway. Before X box and streaming thingies, you understand...
So there must have been at least 2 of us watching the crates go by, I think the cow appeared much later. There was a genneI that took you up to Abbeydale road and the Sasperella shop. I remember a vending machine outside the dairy where sixpence got you a carton of milk, very high tech for what must have been the late 50s or early 60s

So there must have been at least 2 of us watching the crates go by, I think the cow appeared much later. There was a genneI that took you up to Abbeydale road and the Sasperella shop. I remember a vending machine outside the dairy where sixpence got you a carton of milk, very high tech for what must have been the late 50s or early 60s
The sarsaparilla shop! You've reawakened a load of memories there!

Great memories. I can almost smell the steam! As a kid I used to spend a lot of time at Millhouses engine sheds or Totley Cutting. I now live at Retford so have the East Coast Main Line on my doorstep, though it's very quiet at the moment! I gave up collecting numbers a long time ago. Nowadays I do my 'spotting' with a camera.
Great memories. I can almost smell the steam! As a kid I used to spend a lot of time at Millhouses engine sheds or Totley Cutting. I now live at Retford so have the East Coast Main Line on my doorstep, though it's very quiet at the moment! I gave up collecting numbers a long time ago. Nowadays I do my 'spotting' with a camera.
Ditto, just the photography part that is.

David Ford v Norwich in April 1971. 0-0 draw and we had John Hope to thank for making several saves also they had a good goal ruled out by the ref. In the following season Norwich finished top of the 2nd division.
Hope made a few bollocks which he was slaughtered for but actually was a decent keeper

Yes. Session in Heeley baths. Afterwards we bought a penny arrowroot biscuit and then up to the Temperance Bar for a half of sarsaparilla.

This map site is great. Side by side images show it well..View attachment 76552
These show a reservoir. I worked with Ted's nephew (He had a couple of games in our reserves) and he told me a tale involving it.
He said one of the blokes in the shed was "as daft as any ####". They looked into this pond wondering about it's depth and what may be at the bottom.
No more ado, daft #### stripped, and dived in. The others waited, and waited. Minutes passed, bubbles became fewer.
Suddenly daft #### surfaced gasping for air, his skin quite badly scratched.
He'd got himself tangled in some barbed wire which had been chucked in at some point.
Lucky daft ####!

Hope made a few bollocks which he was slaughtered for but actually was a decent keeper
His only poor game in 1971 was in the 5-0 defeat at West Ham. 1972 was different for him as he had nightmares v Arsenal and Derby, when he got dropped from the 1st team he got a bad knee injury in his first reserves match and was ruled out of action for the rest of the year and for all of the 1972-73 season

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom