PL clubs taking furlough payment option

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I have an element of sympathy for the players in this; it doesn't take much for there to be national outrage at footballer's wages and, actually, I genuinely think a sizeable majority of them would easily be willing to donate their money. They've just been thrown right under the bus by their clubs announcing they'll be using the furlough scheme without any consultation with the players first of all. Maybe this probably shows the moral fortitude of the Clubs themselves that they don't even consider this to be an issue but it's resulted in some really bad PR for footballers not of their own making (Jack Grealish aside).
The thing about the current setup at BDTBL is that we're all in this together from top to bottom. If that's so I'd like to know why the unbelievably well paid players, when seeing that the club is closing on financial problems due to the lock down, haven't gone straight to the club and offered to drop their pay to help the club pay the salaries of their colleagues? Strikes me they are happy to sit back and pass that responsibility to the rest of us.

Companies paying massive amount of tax and let's not forget football teams are companies.
So why shouldn't be claim furlough payments for their staff.
And I'm sure the staff won't argue being on 80% of wages sat at home as I am enjoying a Newcastle brown paid for by the government.
And I do think I have earned it working 45 years non-stop from leaving school

Companies paying massive amount of tax and let's not forget football teams are companies.
So why shouldn't be claim furlough payments for their staff.
And I'm sure the staff won't argue being on 80% of wages sat at home as I am enjoying a Newcastle brown paid for by the government.
And I do think I have earned it working 45 years non-stop from leaving school
It’s immoral. Puts the country even further in the shit. If you can afford it, which football clubs can, they shouldn’t be doing it.

The thing about the current setup at BDTBL is that we're all in this together from top to bottom. If that's so I'd like to know why the unbelievably well paid players, when seeing that the club is closing on financial problems due to the lock down, haven't gone straight to the club and offered to drop their pay to help the club pay the salaries of their colleagues? Strikes me they are happy to sit back and pass that responsibility to the rest of us.

So say the players take a massive pay cut of 80%, how do you know we still wouldn’t be in the shit? We’ll need to make transfer payments on Berge, McBurnie, Mousset, Robinson, Freeman eventually. What do we do then?

We’re a rich Premier League club, we’ll be fine right?

So say the players take a massive pay cut of 80%, how do you know we still wouldn’t be in the shit?

If they took a pay cut of substantially less than that it would easily cover the money the taxpayer is instead going to be paying.

If they took a pay cut of substantially less than that it would easily cover the money the taxpayer is instead going to be paying.

That wasn’t the point I was making, I was saying that the club has other big expenses in the form of transfer fee payments.

Even if the players take a big pay cut the club could still run out of money if football doesn’t return in the next few months. People seem to think now we’re in the Premier League we’ve got mountains of cash available.

The club paid almost £3m in social security costs last year. Employers NI etc.
Again I still don't believe the point is valid. In my view of the world the amount you pay in doesn't have any bearing on what you're entitled to take out, and you shouldn't look to take out at any given opportunity, only as a last resort. It's a safety net for those in most need.

That wasn’t the point I was making, I was saying that the club has other big expenses in the form of transfer fee payments.

Even if the players take a big pay cut the club could still run out of money if football doesn’t return in the next few months. People seem to think now we’re in the Premier League we’ve got mountains of cash available.
Not at all, but we have other options than relying on the tax payer to cover a couple of hundred grand.

Apologies if this has already been posted, I can't be arsed to read the previous posts but why aren't people asking why all the Tory sponsoring millionaires being singled out like the players ?

Again I still don't believe the point is valid. In my view of the world the amount you pay in doesn't have any bearing on what you're entitled to take out, and you shouldn't look to take out at any given opportunity, only as a last resort. It's a safety net for those in most need.

Not at all, but we have other options than relying on the tax payer to cover a couple of hundred grand.

I'm more playing devils advocate than disagreeing with you and while l understand your points are about United there are many businesses making much greater profits than us, and other similar football clubs, that are taking from the pot.

Personally, l'm not sure where l Stand to be honest but hope our admin staff etc receive full pay, wherever it comes from.

Apologies if this has already been posted, I can't be arsed to read the previous posts but why aren't people asking why all the Tory sponsoring millionaires being singled out like the players ?

Why not all millionaires?

Player pay cuts, what are the other options?

Sorry but I don't think a global pandemic is any given opportunity.

Like I have said already I don't think our club should have to do this now but I can certainly see us and other clubs having to do this as we go further into the summer.

I thought the staff that are being furloughed by the club are casual zero hour workers who would be earning anything while no games are on. These ensure they earn 100% of the wage they would usually be taking home

Also there are 512 Premiere League footballers and according to this 2.5 million millionaires!

I'm more playing devils advocate than disagreeing with you and while l understand your points are about United there are many businesses making much greater profits than us, and other similar football clubs, that are taking from the pot.

Personally, l'm not sure where l Stand to be honest but hope our admin staff etc receive full pay, wherever it comes from.
I’m used to you by now Sean and got your points. ;)
Player pay cuts, what are the other options?
Nope, I don’t think I would cut players wages.
A possible deferral could be an option but given the governmental loans available of upto 5 million I’d like us to use those before taking from the state.
As we’re only looking for a couple hundred K I think there are also other loans we could take out, borrow against future earnings or ST sales, and while we’re taking about ST why not open renewals? You would only need 1000 people to sign up to cover those wages again for the next 3 months. There seems to be lots we could do instead of this moral mis-step.

Last edited:
I’m used to you by now Sean and got your points. ;)

Nope, I don’t think I would cut players wages.
A possible deferral could be an option but given the governmental loans available of upto 5 million I’d like us to use those before taking from the state.
As we’re only looking for a couple hundred K I think there are also other loans we could take out, borrow against future earnings or ST sales, and while we’re taking about ST why not open renewals? You would only need 1000 people to sign up to cover those wages again for the next 3 months. There seems to be lots we could do instead of this moral mis-step.

Took you some time .......

:)

Well now it looks like they aren’t going to go ahead with furlough, I don’t want to hear anyone moaning when the season tickets go up to Hillsborough prices! ;)

Or alternatively Andy Giddings tweet at 10.26 a.m this morning was a more accurate reflection of the situation in that they were considering it but no final decision had been made.

Any suggestion that the club put out two versions is laughable. Giddings seems to have a good relationship with both Wilder and the club and the other side is from the Star. I know who my money was on, even before the reverse ferret.

Any suggestion that the club put out two versions is laughable. Giddings seems to have a good relationship with both Wilder and the club and the other side is from the Star. I know who my money was on, even before the reverse ferret.

I understand the need to get a story out quickly but it has to be accurate with no holes in it usually dealt with by checking out what you are going to say with the party involved. I've no doubt the Club have seriously considered Furlough and have spoken to staff about it being an option but to suggest staff have been placed on the scheme and then to retract it later is embarrassing.

There was a time when I would have believed SUFC communications were so poor that they were very capable of misleading the local media but recent events indicate they have a firm handle on the PR that comes out of the Club.

Or alternatively Andy Giddings tweet at 10.26 a.m this morning was a more accurate reflection of the situation in that they were considering it but no final decision had been made.

Unsurprisingly The Star comes up with its own interpration and people wonder why no one buys it.

Back
Top Bottom