5th round fixture

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ok lets do this one step at a time. What are the chances of us or pigs being drawn first?

As I edited above the probability of us being drawn against them in the first 2 balls is 1/120. After that it becomes more difficult as balls 3 and 4 becomes 1/91x119/120 and so on - you need to compute your way to the last 2 balls, which I can’t be bothered. Understanding conditional probabilities is how professional card players win.

There are 15 possible teams/pairs who we or they could be drawn against so 1 in 15, or 14 to one.
Correct. There are two separate events but the 2nd event is dependant on the first event happening. So what is the probability of the 1st event AND the 2nd event happening?

Correct. There are two separate events but the 2nd event is dependant on the first event happening. So what is the probability of the 1st event AND the 2nd event happening?
You're over-complicating it. We are discounting home and away so it's just a 1 in 15 chance of being paired against any of the teams.

Hope not.
Oxford to beat Newcastle then home to Oxford.
Only reason I said it is because daughters at uni there so and me and her 2 younger twin brothers went down last time we played them on Friday night when we got beat 1-0,and we went and met her for a meal before the game and a few pints before saying our good byes and onto the game.😁

You're over-complicating it. We are discounting home and away so it's just a 1 in 15 chance of being paired against any of the teams.
Not at all. We are calculating the chances of being drawn against each other. We've just done calculation for being first two out of the bag. To do your bookie calculation you are doing a double of 8/1 and 15/1 which for your £1 will give you £120 winnings.

Not at all. We are calculating the chances of being drawn against each other. We've just done calculation for being first two out of the bag. To do your bookie calculation you are doing a double of 8/1 and 15/1 which for your £1 will give you £120 winnings.
There are 15 teams or pairs who we could possibly be drawn against, so there is a 1 in 15 chance we could be drawn against any of them. 1 in 15 chance we draw Wednesday, 1 in 30 chance it's at Bramall Lane, one in 30 chance it's at Hillsborough. Imagine someone carries a bag with all our potential opponents/pairs written down on screwed up bits of paper, in that bag are the names of our 5th round opponents; there's a 1 in 15 chance it could be any of them.

There are 15 teams or pairs who we could possibly be drawn against, so there is a 1 in 15 chance we could be drawn against any of them. 1 in 15 chance we draw Wednesday, 1 in 30 chance it's at Bramall Lane, one in 30 chance it's at Hillsborough. Imagine someone carries a bag with all our potential opponents/pairs written down on screwed up bits of paper, in that bag are the names of our 5th round opponents; there's a 1 in 15 chance it could be any of them.
You are calculating based on us or them being drawn first. So it would be 1 in 15 if that was to happen. But the original question was what are the chances of it happening and the chances are much much more than that because it is a random draw of 8 matches. Only if one of us is drawn first would the chances be 1 in 15.

You are calculating based on us or them being drawn first. So it would be 1 in 15 if that was to happen. But the original question was what are the chances of it happening and the chances are much much more than that because it is a random draw of 8 matches. Only if one of us is drawn first would the chances be 1 in 15.
At this moment in time, the probability of us being drawn against Wednesday on Monday night is 1 in 15.

At this moment in time, the probability of us being drawn against Wednesday on Monday night is 1 in 15.
No they are not. But obviously you don't understand or want to listen! I've tried. I now give up. Do they still do algebra at school these days btw?

No they are not. But obviously you don't understand or want to listen! I've tried. I now give up. Do they still do algebra at school these days btw?
Probability is the relevant strand of mathematics. Long time since I was at school. Goodnight.

What the fuck is going off on this thread? It's like some open university shit..twistin mi melon man
Yep. Around 4 pages now revolving around probability. Personally, I could not give a minge. Let's wait 48 hours and see.

Folk talk about weakened sides taking away the magic of the FA Cup. For me it's the last 4 pages of this forum that's done it.

On a drink, or two, if either us or them are drawn out first, then it’s 14/1. However if say Liverpool are drawn first surely the odds on a Sheffield Derby change?

Reactions: SWB

On a drink, or two, if either us or them are drawn out first, then it’s 14/1. However if say Liverpool are drawn first surely the odds on a Sheffield Derby change?
If Liverpool are drawn out first, the odds remain at 14 to 1. However if a non-Sheffield team is drawn out second, the odds drop to 12/1, because there is now a 1 in 13 chance we'll draw Wednesday.

If someone could start a thread titled advanced algebra for beginners in off topic forum that may help me to beat the bookies. Spreadsheets examples would be useful. I'm now worried about my current Athletico Madrid home banker bet😎

I used to hate probability.

There is a 1 in 15 possibility of use facing Wednesday.

There isn't a 1 in 15 probability of it happening.

Norwich away seems nailed on, a tedious same-division crapfest that literally nobody gives a shit about, like Burnley v Norwich yesterday.

If we draw the pigs, will be interesting to hear the commentery. "shooting from left to right, Sheffield. And shooting right to left, Sheffield. "

I’m not sure but I’d guess so.

I’m not sure either what it’s go to do with probabilities.
I don’t want to get into an argument about maths and I haven’t thought about it very deeply but it seems you are trying to calculate the odds for a specific event such as us being the fifth drawn out of the pot and Wednesday being the sixth. That’s not what people are looking at, they’re just looking for probability of us drawing the pigs.

The thing you said about the lottery is correct because you’re calculating the odds of drawing six separate numbers in six separate draws where there is only one winning outcome - the six numbers you predicted would be drawn. The odds when flipping a coin are always evens, the odds that they land in a specific sequence, say heads, heads, tails, heads, tails, tails isn’t 50/50.

15/1 actually 😉

No he's correct, they've change the rules this time round, so they can draw themselves.

If this happens, the FA elect two captains, and they pick sides in the school field. Whoever gets picked last has to go in goal. It'll be interesting to see callum Robinson in net.

If Liverpool are drawn out first, the odds remain at 14 to 1. However if a non-Sheffield team is drawn out second, the odds drop to 12/1, because there is now a 1 in 13 chance we'll draw Wednesday.

I was asking about the odds of an all Sheffield game after Liverpool were drawn out first and before the second team was drawn.

I was wrong actually. Its much greater than 1 in 48 but I can't be arsed to work it out.

Basically there are 16 balls in the bag. We therefore have a 1 in 16 chance of coming out first. There is then a 1 in 15 chance of the pigs coming out second. If neither drawn it then becomes 1 in 14 of one of us next and so on. Therefore the odds of us both coming out against each other are much much greater.

But those events aren’t mutually exclusive so that doesn’t work. You only multiply when they are. United could be drawn in ANY of the sixteen positions in the draw, therefore United getting drawn out in any position is irrelevant to the odds. We know they will be drawn somewhere, it’s a certainty. The key is whether Wendy are drawn in the position opposite us. That’s a 1 in 15 shot, hence for every 1 time it happens, it doesn’t 14 times. Therefore it’s 1:14 or 14-1.

I’m not sure but I’d guess so.

I’m not sure either what it’s go to do with probabilities.
I don’t want to get into an argument about maths and I haven’t thought about it very deeply but it seems you are trying to calculate the odds for a specific event such as us being the fifth drawn out of the pot and Wednesday being the sixth. That’s not what people are looking at, they’re just looking for probability of us drawing the pigs.

The thing you said about the lottery is correct because you’re calculating the odds of drawing six separate numbers in six separate draws where there is only one winning outcome - the six numbers you predicted would be drawn. The odds when flipping a coin are always evens, the odds that they land in a specific sequence, say heads, heads, tails, heads, tails, tails isn’t 50/50.
I agree re probability. But you are still looking at two specific balls from 16 coming out of the hat successively either 1st and 2nd, or 3rd and 4th, or 5th and 6th or 7th and 8th so the rules as stated are such as described extensively!

There's 15 other clubs or pairings we could draw, so the odds are 15 to one. With every draw that is made, with neither or nor Wednesday, the odds come down, until if neither club has been drawn for the eighth tie it becomes inevitable.
I failed my statistics A level many years ago but even I know that you're completely wrong.

If we're first out of the hat it's 1 chance in 15 but if we're not it becomes a cumulative equation until we are drawn.

No idea how to work it out though, that's why I failed the A level 😂

Back
Top Bottom