Match Thread Wolverhampton Wanderers v. Sheffield United - 1st Dec 19

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WOLV
WOLV
WOLV

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin

1574892093199.png v. 1574892099350.png
EPL Week 14 - Sunday 1st December 2019 - Molineux

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.p...verhampton-wanderers-vs-sheffield-united.478/

Officials:

Referee:
David Coote
Assistant Referee: Peter Kirkup
Assistant Referee: Nick Hopton
Fourth Official: Martin Atkinson
Video Assistant Referee: Stuart Attwell
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Dan Robathan

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2019-12-01 at 11.28.03.png

Away Fans Guide:

Attachments

• plawayfansguide19.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:

This game looks possibly the toughest away fixture yet, we are going there with them in the best form of any side we’ve played away from home yet, so it would not be a surprise if this is where the unbeaten away run comes to an end.

A couple of things in our favour is they will just be back from a European away trip and there now seems to be a serous link between Arsenal and their manager which could be unsettling.

Hoping Mousett is recovered from Sunday too.

Mrs G and myself will be there, if anyone knows any decent pubs, let me know.

• Admin
Is that seriously all the channels this is being broadcast on? Wondering about my chances of watching it now...

Likely be more confirmed later in the week.

Is that seriously all the channels this is being broadcast on? Wondering about my chances of watching it now...

If it's on DAZN, there will be small rivers.

Definitely will be on NBC sports network they show all premier league games live.

Memries of Wolves

Having recovered from our thrilling 3-3 draw with Manchester United last Sunday (meaning that we have lost just 5 league games in the last 37), we meet Wolves in the top-flight for the first time since March 13th 1976. Since then, on 21st July 2016, Wolves have secured backing from the £170bn-worth Chinese Fosun International Group which has seen them become established in the Premier League and gain entry to the Europa League. A future business model for the Blades?

Our very first League meeting with Wolves came in 1893.

Recent-ish games against Wolverhampton Wanderers:

1574918710417.png

Full history Sheffield United v Wolves:

Complete League record v. Wolves

Home: P: 50 W: 25 D: 16 L: 9 F: 100 A: 70

Away: P: 50 W: 10 D: 17 L: 23 F: 57 A: 95

Our last meeting came on 3rd February 2018 and was a 0-3 defeat at Molineaux:

However, the first meeting of this season (2017-18) between the teams came in a night match at Bramall Lane on 27th February 2017 – just three days after ‘The Bouncing Day Massacre’ at Hillsborough. Wolves’ Conor Coady was sent off after 15 minutes and a brace from Leon Clarke saw the Blades win 2-0 and go second in the Championship table.

On 22nd March, 2014 United played their 125th Anniversary game v Wolves at Bramall Lane. Despite United having a run of seven wins and one draw in the eight previous games, Wolves prevailed here 0-2 with goals in each half. Wolves would easily win the Division One Championship a few weeks later, finishing on 103 points – ahead of second-placed Brentford with 94 points. United finished in seventh place (67 points, missing out on the play-offs.)

United had – on paper – a very strong team for the Wolves game:

1574918817367.png

However, this was not translated to our league form although Nigel Clough’s team did reach the Semi-Final of the FA Cup a few weeks later.

On 28th September, 2013 The Blades lost 0-2 at Molineux in a third-tier game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------continued>>>​

On 25th November, 2008 Wolves triumphed 1-3 at Bramall Lane in a Championship game. Kevin Blackwell’s Blades would end the season in third place before losing in the play-off Final at Wembley to Burnley. Featuring for Wolves that night were Neill Collins and Richard Stearman.

For most Blades fans, the most significant game v. Wolves in recent years came in the play-off Final at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium on 26th May 2003 for a place in the top flight. A shocking ‘no show’ saw the Blades 0-3 down at half time. A penalty miss by Michael Brown early in the second half completed a miserable day for United and joy for Wolves and their manager…Dave Jones. Wolves’ team that day included Joleon Lescott, Paul Ince and - scorer of Wolves’ second goal and former Blades’ favourite - Nathan Blake.

Just before our meeting in the play-off final in Cardiff in 2003, the Blades played out an entertaining 3-3 draw at Bramall Lane:

On 24th January, 1997 United lost 2-3 at home to Wolves in the third tier with both our goals coming from White.

On January 2nd, 1995 Dave Bassett’s Blades drew 2-2 at Wolves. 0-0 at half-time, two goals from Nathan Blake put the Blades firmly in control until two late Wolves goals levelled the score:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------continued>>>​

A 3-3 scoreline occurred on 22nd April, 1995 in our League Division One fixture at Bramall Lane. Look out for the ‘no-man’s land’ on the John Street side of the pitch prior to the construction of the John Street stand:

Happier times were just around the corner after a season in the third tier when we played at Molineaux on the evening of 9th May 1989. Dave Bassett’s Blades and Wolves settled for a 2-2 draw meaning an instant return from Division Three for both teams as Wolves went up as champions and United were runners-up with Port Vale missing out on automatic promotion on goal difference.

With a few minutes of the game remaining, the referee blew for a foul and our number three – Martin Pike – thought it was the final whistle. He threw his boots into the crowd and played out the rest of the game in stockinged feet! This game ended in a mutually-acceptable 2-2 draw which can be seen by the way United celebrated at the final whistle. Memries of this game? West Midlands Police were their usual thuggish self – battering and/or arresting any Blades fan who dared tried to get a chant going.

On 28th January 1950 The Blades travelled to a snow-bound Molineux to play in the Fourth Round of The FA Cup. The match ended 0-0 before Wolves won the replay at Bramall Lane four days later 3-4 with Harold Brook scoring a hat-trick for United. One for Silent Blade ? This clip shows Jimmy Hagan and the Wolves captain Stan Cullis tossing the coin before the Molineux game, yet according to the Denis Clarebrough ‘Sheffield United-The Complete Record’ book (Page 389), Hagan didn’t play in either Wolves game. Thoughts?

Premier League Table:

We are in sixth place and Wolves in fifth for, (in my opinion), our sternest test so far this season.

1574919235141.png

Latest Premier League Table

Form Guide:

Without a league defeat since 14th September (a 5-2 home defeat to Chelsea), Wolves are eight games unbeaten in the Premier League whereas The Blades are six games without a loss:

1574919255731.png

Latest Premier League Form Guide

Attachments

• 1574919080094.png
    1574919080094.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
Top Scorers:

1574919344524.png

Men to Watch:
As ever in the Premier League, Wolves have quality all over the pitch. From left: Raúl Jiménez is currently Wolves’ leading scorer, with eight goals in his last appearances for club and country (Mexico) and 14 goals in all competitions this season, with Rúben Neves, super-fast Adama Traoré and influential right-back Matt Doherty all contributing greatly. Also Diogo Jota, central midfielder João Moutinho and one of my favourite Blades loanees in recent years – Conor Coady – able to dictate play.

wolves2.jpg

The Manager:

Nuno Espírito Santo
is a Portuguese former footballer who played as a goalkeeper, and is now head coach of Wolverhampton Wanderers since 31st May 2017.

1574919367005.png

Not confident for this one at all. I call these a bogey side for us. I'm even less confident now I've seen our stats for Molineux - 10 wins.

The "hope" I have is that they pick up an injury tonight or they're a bit fatigued. We've had the week off whereas they won't have. I know they have a bit of a cushion points wise in their group so could rotate the squad slightly which wouldn't help us.

We'll see. But as above, these are our biggest test so far for me.

Mrs G and myself will be there, if anyone knows any decent pubs, let me know.
Depends what you call "good pubs"?

This is probably one of the best parts of the UK for good beer. "The Black Country", as it's called. If you like your ale then you could do a lot worse than check out any pub selling beers from Daniel Batham's or Sarah Hughes breweries. Just type those into google and you'll get some pointers from there. Like this one....Ma Pardoes at Netherton.
1574922902007.png

There's a lot of very traditional pubs in that area, around Tipton, Sedgeley, Dudley, Wolverhampton. Personally I love an excuse to go down that neck of the woods, it invariably involves me taking a little mini-tour of such places. The Beacon at Sedgeley is excellent for beer too - it's the home of Sarah Hughes brewery.

If "good pubs" means "cheap food and drinks" then you probably can't beat finding a Wetherspoons - and there are dozens of them to choose from.

If "good pubs" means, "rich in architectural features, or history" then have a look at this place - the Crooked House at Himley...

1574923387344.png

Or if "good pubs" means "unusual to the point of being eccentric" then try any of the "Little Pub Co." pubs in that area - selling "lumphammer" beer and "Cow pie". Like this one, "Mad O Rourke's" pie factory at Tipton.

1574923505125.png

And the bloke in the photo below could be you!
1574923653148.png

Another one to recommend is the Great Western - it's by the railway station at Wolverhampton, so very convenient if coming by train - and maybe 15/20 mins walk from the ground. I'll probably end up in there at some point because it has a good range of ales - including Daniel Batham's (this is a must try beer - even if you don't drink beer normally) - and they do a good range of inexpensive food - hot pork sandwiches and stuff like that. It attracts a mix of home and away supporters and it's a good craic in there without any trouble.

1574923243791.png

Last edited:
Nuno 2/1 on some betting sites to be new Arsenal manager should Emery get booted, bad result for the Arse tonight against Frankfurt and that might happen.

Don't think he'd leave though, surely Wolves are a better proposition? It's not like he's not paid well.

An interesting development anyway.

Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Sheffield United @ 12/01/19, 2:00pm + GMT

Trivial, but you can watch all the Blades’ games in Oz on Optus Sport. Not only that, ALL EPL games are free to Optus ‘phone users. Never thought I’d need the service when we were floundering in div 1. How times have changed.
UTB
Love reading the forums.

Nuno 2/1 on some betting sites to be new Arsenal manager should Emery get booted, bad result for the Arse tonight against Frankfurt and that might happen.

Don't think he'd leave though, surely Wolves are a better proposition? It's not like he's not paid well.

An interesting development anyway.
Arsenal is still one of the big draws for any manager similar to Man U or Liverpool even our own CW would have to seriously consider that one.

Arsenal is still one of the big draws for any manager similar to Man U or Liverpool even our own CW would have to seriously consider that one.

Any manager or player with ambition will surely always consider a 'big 6' job if they come sniffing, even our own. Only difference between NES and CW, is that the former didn't grow up a wolves fan/ball boy/player, which might give us that little bit longer to enjoy what we have.

One my first away games with United was the 3-1 demolition of Wolves at Molineux in 2002, with one Michael Tonge running them ragged.

Hopefully catch em cold after a Thursday trip to Europe. Unbeaten run continues 1-2 Blades

On 28th January 1950 The Blades travelled to a snow-bound Molineux to play in the Fourth Round of The FA Cup. The match ended 0-0 before Wolves won the replay at Bramall Lane four days later 3-4 with Harold Brook scoring a hat-trick for United. One for Silent Blade ? This clip shows Jimmy Hagan and the Wolves captain Stan Cullis tossing the coin before the Molineux game, yet according to the Denis Clarebrough ‘Sheffield United-The Complete Record’ book (Page 389), Hagan didn’t play in either Wolves game. Thoughts?

The above video was from the scoreless 1947 FA Cup match. We won the replay 3-0, 1947 was Stan Cullis' last year as a player.

The below video is the scoreless 1950 FA Cup match

First match of 1984-85 season and Tommy Docherty's first match as Wolves manager. Wolves finished the season at the bottom of the 2nd division

1574968481757.png

played their full strength team and blown a 3-1 lead. hope they're not fully physically and mentally there on sunday. honestly can't see us getting anything from it if they are

played their full strength team and blown a 3-1 lead. hope they're not fully physically and mentally there on sunday. honestly can't see us getting anything from it if they are

Must be shit if they have given away a two goal lead.

The above video was from the scoreless 1947 FA Cup match. We won the replay 3-0, 1947 was Stan Cullis' last year as a player.

The below video is the scoreless 1950 FA Cup match

The match might have been rubbish, but the pre-match entertainment looked a lot more fun than the new-fangled light shows.

Think this will be an end to our unbeaten run. Wolves probably have one of the best squads on paper and are to some extent under achieving in the prem. I'm going 2-0 wolves but the Blades to bounce back with 3 wins on the bounce :p:D

It pissed it down all game and the pitch was very heavy. If we do get something from the game, just getting the nkt excuses ready.

Back
Top Bottom