Match Thread Sheffield United v. Southampton - 14th Sept 19

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
SOUT
SOUT
SOUT
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1568362838543.png v. 1568362845216.png

EPL Week 5 - Saturday 14th September 2019 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-southampton.469/

Officials:

Referee:
Lee Mason
Assistant Referee: Marc Perry
Assistant Referee: Mark Scholes
Fourth Official: Ben Toner
Video Assistant Referee: John Brooks
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Darren Cann

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2019-09-13 at 09.22.56.png

Fleck. Why was he picked?
Usual poor quality, wasteful with chances and turning backwards when players were making forward runs. Not a patch on Freeman.

Would playing Fleck, Norwood and Freeman be too much to ask? We bought Freeman as an upgrade on Duffy, maybe we should actually let him be that.

That’s the issue for me today, the team selection was more attacking away at Chelsea than home to Southampton.

It’s got to be two from Norwood, Fleck and Lundstram behind Freeman like we played all last season with Duffy in that role. It was Southampton at home ffs!

Disagree about McBurnie. He's proved he can put the ball in the net. Technically, he's not premiership quality. But he can finish and that's what we need. He gets a chance, odds are he'll score.
Agree. He scores goals, thats his job and he can do it in the prem so yep is prem quality

Sharp's was a bad yellow/soft red but he kicked out and gave the ref every reason to send him off. moronic.

We played a dreadful side missing key players with one of the worst defenders the Premier League has ever seen and they were the better side. Pub league level midfield and defence second half. Absolute joke. Sure, we had some chances but they had better and they were hardly nailed on.

If we play like that on a regular basis then we're going down bottom of the league. They need a rocket after that performance. Some still on International duty.

On today's performance:

McBurnie does not look like a top flight player to me. Too interested in trying to foul his defender and buy a freekick.
McG needs to up the rest of his game with that level of finishing
Fleck looked up for it but not sure he has the ability.
Egan/Stevens/Basham/JoC need to concentrate more and be smarter

Most had an off day apart from Hendo who made a stunning save.

That’s the issue for me today, the team selection was more attacking away at Chelsea than home to Southampton.

It’s got to be two from Norwood, Fleck and Lundstram behind Freeman like we played all last season with Duffy in that role. It was Southampton at home ffs!

They had a makeshift defence with key players out and we didn't try and have a go at them. Criminal.

Really was harsh on Freeman, has been one of our best players, and one that can change a game with a moment of brilliance.

Also lifts the team because they know he's tricky. The Bournemouth game before and after him coming on was night and day.

Some of McGoldrick's touches are beautiful in build up play but hes woeful when in with a chance. We cant keep missing so many chances. Southampton were rubbish and there for the taking but we gave them more confidence as the match went on, we wont meet a more beatable team

Let's hope Norwich and Watford get a hammering tomorrow...

Wolves are surprisingly shit this season. Another contender for the drop.

Other scores went well for us today. Palace losing, Brighton Burney draw, Newcastle losing.

Let's hope Norwich and Watford get a hammering tomorrow...

Wolves are surprisingly shit this season. Another contender for the drop.

Other scores went well for us today. Palace losing, Brighton Burney draw, Newcastle losing.

Don’t think Wolves will be in relegation battle but they’ll be a lot lower than last season due to their europa league adventures

Don’t think Wolves will be in relegation battle but they’ll be a lot lower than last season due to their europa league adventures

They have some quality players, so yeah, they'll probably recover. Defensively they definitely seem shaky.

Some of McGoldrick's touches are beautiful in build up play but hes woeful when in with a chance. We cant keep missing so many chances. Southampton were rubbish and there for the taking but we gave them more confidence as the match went on, we wont meet a more beatable team
What rubbish, It was a very close game, could have gone either way. Southampton are a good side, and was on top after they scored. they were better than Palace.

Tin hat time and yes I’m perfectly aware that I’ll be accused of scapegoating.

However,I can’t help but feel Lundstram’s (yes it’s about lundstram) first couple of games reminded me a lot of Denly getting 94 today. A player that I feel realistically isn’t good enough long term, and worry that a good performance, or 2, will keep them in the side for longer than is justified. Yep I’ll get pelters, and I accept that, but I predict JL will be out of the side before November and we won’t see much of him again, after he has a couple of below par performances.

He played well a couple of times, and kudos for that, but I still think he halts the play too much, and is too limited to play all season on a successful prem team.

Sorry, and give my shit now. Sure we can revisit this topic in a few weeks!

Why doesn’t Norwood bring the lad down for their goal? He fouls him but then lets him run through.
Got to be cleverer there

What rubbish, It was a very close game, could have gone either way. Southampton are a good side, and was on top after they scored. they were better than Palace.
Cant agree, they are not a good side and looked poor all over the pitch. They only grew in confidence after we started being sloppy and hoofing shots everywhere but on target. They will be in and around the bottom 6.

Their high press was excellent and we didn’t cope with it.

They outworked us - which can’t happen.

We made a stupid mistake - again - but lost the game because we made a pathetic attempt at a professional foul.

As an aside, Goldie should not be on as a striker ahead of Billy, Callum and Moose.

Plenty of time to learn though - as long as we do.

Tin hat time and yes I’m perfectly aware that I’ll be accused of scapegoating.

However,I can’t help but feel Lundstram’s (yes it’s about lundstram) first couple of games reminded me a lot of Denly getting 94 today. A player that I feel realistically isn’t good enough long term, and worry that a good performance, or 2, will keep them in the side for longer than is justified. Yep I’ll get pelters, and I accept that, but I predict JL will be out of the side before November and we won’t see much of him again, after he has a couple of below par performances.

He played well a couple of times, and kudos for that, but I still think he halts the play too much, and is too limited to play all season on a successful prem team.

Sorry, and give my shit now. Sure we can revisit this topic in a few weeks!
I thought he had a good game until about 60 minutes when he seemed to be shattered and started making mistakes.

Why doesn’t Norwood bring the lad down for their goal? He fouls him but then lets him run through.
Got to be cleverer there

I thought the same. Tug the shirt and take the yellow card.

Sadly we really need to up our gamesmanship in the Premier League.

Cant agree, they are not a good side and looked poor all over the pitch. They only grew in confidence after we started being sloppy and hoofing shots everywhere but on target. They will be in and around the bottom 6.

Djenepo and Boufal were turning our defenders inside out, apart from that they wasn't anything spectacular

Djenepo and Boufal were turning our defenders inside out, apart from that they wasn't anything spectacular

They did jack shit, except for their deft ability on the ball. It's quality we can't afford and it's hurt us today. On that showing with players that limited, I am petrified about Man City, Liverpool etc.

They did jack shit, except for their deft ability on the ball. It's quality we can't afford and it's hurt us today. On that showing with players that limited, I am petrified about Man City, Liverpool etc.

They both cost Southampton £15m each...

frustrating game, sometimes youve just got to admit thats it not your day. things go wrong, i thought ref had dodgy game strange decisions as it was a very physical game by both sides & both had some very robust challenges but seemingly only we're pulled up for it. I thought it was harsh. dont understand how under which rule that is red card because from where I was It looked like a 50/50 coming together but it completed an afternoon of very strange refeereing

i love McGoldrick, player of the year & its sound strange to say but I thought he had the best game of season, was very influential but no striker at what ever level of football, should be missing a 1 on 1 chance like that. as that haunts me that missed chance because he scores that & we have great chance to win that. as much as we blame VAR or sharp red card. thats big issue Mcgoldrick couldve had 4, fleck 1, mcburnie "got" 1. another player or 2 couldve scored. you have to take your chances or you will get punished

1st time of VAR live. i get anger now worryingly Martin samuel is bang on. absoultely no explanation. just "no goal" its ridiculous that a bloke in India who couldnt give a stuff is more informed than we are who paid & are there in person. probally got to wait 7hrs til Match Of The Day to find why its disallowed.

Over 30,000 at the game today what surprised me was the amount of empty seats in the section of the Family Stand next to BL end. I know for a fact you couldnt buy these seats online and they were empty for the whole of the match. Season ticket holders who couldnt make the match ? Seemed quite a few in the same area - or ticketing system thinking they are sold when they are not ?

What also surprised me was that people were coming in after the match looking for their seat and one steward near us told them they could not pass and to go and find an empty seat and sit in them. There were a few behind us and to the left he just told them to sit there.

seats.JPG

Over 30,000 at the game today what surprised me was the amount of empty seats in the section of the Family Stand next to BL end.

If you see empty seats at Bramall Lane then you either need an eye test or you're a Wednesday fan.

Back
Top Bottom