Match Thread Sheffield United v. Southampton - 14th Sept 19

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
SOUT
SOUT
SOUT
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1568362838543.png v. 1568362845216.png

EPL Week 5 - Saturday 14th September 2019 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-southampton.469/

Officials:

Referee:
Lee Mason
Assistant Referee: Marc Perry
Assistant Referee: Mark Scholes
Fourth Official: Ben Toner
Video Assistant Referee: John Brooks
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Darren Cann

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2019-09-13 at 09.22.56.png

Gonna go, 2-0.

McBurnie and Robinson. Both goals in the 2nd half.

This really should be a must win for us. Southampton are gonna be in a relegation battle and, really, aren't that good nowadays.

Tough one to call this. Read a few previews and the general consensus is tight home win or score draw.

I cant see us losing, but going to be a narrow win if we manage it.

The front two is the only selection discussion point (presuming Fleck isn't 100% fit) - I am looking forward to seeing McBurnie & Mousset up front, but think this game is coming too soon for that - so reading between the lines I think it will be McBurnie and McGoldrick with Robinsons injury a bit more delicate.

Cant wait to get back to the Lane, missed the Leicester match as I was away so I'm craving some BDTBL time.

We've only ever lost two consecutive Premier League games at Bramall Lane once.

10 March 1993
Blades 0-1 Norwich

20 March 1993
Blades 0-1 Palace

Sheffield United shutout?
Sheffield United have faced 42 shots in their four games so far this season - this is the joint-sixth lowest in the division.

Meanwhile, their opponents this weekend, Southampton, have produced 25 shots from inside the box this season - the joint-fourth fewest.

Could this all add up to a Blades clean sheet? It certainly might be worth a gamble.

But if you do decide to plump for a Blades defender, which one should you go for? This might help you decide...

Sheffield United defenders attacking stats 2018-19
PlayerGames startedShots (inc. blocks)Shots inside box (inc. blocks)Shooting accuracyChances created
Jack O'Connell44433.33%1
George Baldock43150%1
Enda Stevens4210%2
Chris Basham4100%2
John Egan40000
The smart play, though, could be to pick up John Lundstram, who is playing in midfield but listed as a defender in many fantasy games.

tl;dr - Sheffield United defenders are worth having this weekend.

Ergo Blades 3 Saints 0

Crucial 6 pointer versus a relegation rival.
Cat B so (according to the Club) affordable prices.
Everyone back off summer holidays.
On PROPER general sale since Tuesday - no membership required , no points required , no purchase history required - just a desire to attend + the price of a ticket.
Excellent views available in BLUT.
The only Premier League football for miles around.
STILL NOT SOLD OUT IN THE HOME STANDS !
So what's going wrong ?
Pricing ?
Publicity ?
Ticket information too garbled for anyone to try and understand ?
Just not enough people interested in attending top-flight football in the city where the game was invented ?
Something is wrong with this.
But what ?
And don't tell me its ok.
Because the Lane should be full for this.
The marketing dept / ticket office need to get this analysed but quick.

Although it's versus the Champions of Europe , the next league game is at a funny time and can be watched at home or in the pub for nowt.
And they want £40 to get in the Lane in a working class city when gate income is less important than building the support of people who will be needed to replace old duffers like me who've already done a lifetime of attending the Lane.

Come on United , it's YOUR job to fill the Lane , not mine.

I'll be there as usual , but I can't last forever , you know !

Crucial 6 pointer versus a relegation rival.
Cat B so (according to the Club) affordable prices.
Everyone back off summer holidays.
On PROPER general sale since Tuesday - no membership required , no points required , no purchase history required - just a desire to attend + the price of a ticket.
Excellent views available in BLUT.
The only Premier League football for miles around.
STILL NOT SOLD OUT IN THE HOME STANDS !
So what's going wrong ?
Pricing ?
Publicity ?
Ticket information too garbled for anyone to try and understand ?
Just not enough people interested in attending top-flight football in the city where the game was invented ?
Something is wrong with this.
But what ?
And don't tell me its ok.
Because the Lane should be full for this.
The marketing dept / ticket office need to get this analysed but quick.

Although it's versus the Champions of Europe , the next league game is at a funny time and can be watched at home or in the pub for nowt.
And they want £40 to get in the Lane in a working class city when gate income is less important than building the support of people who will be needed to replace old duffers like me who've already done a lifetime of attending the Lane.

Come on United , it's YOUR job to fill the Lane , not mine.

I'll be there as usual , but I can't last forever , you know !
Stop Press - only about 250 proper seats left (Inc many singles) , plus a few hundred Restricted View.
A close call , but I accept it's virtually a sell-out in the home stands , right at the 11th hour , assisted no doubt by going 'General Sale' , 4 days ahead of the match.

The club now need to refine the system to sell out in cases where the away end also sells out.
Also deal with the RV seats in some way.

So after the successful international break as far as England are concerned, we are finally back in action at BDBL with the visit of Southampton. Arguably the sort of game we should be looking to take points from, particularly at home. However, Southampton are now pretty well established in the PL, and their know how will provide a very difficult test for us. Another 30,000 plus attendance and our marauding style could prove the difference between the two....

But anyway...

Any team news? :)

A game too soon for Mousset to start?

McGoldrick and McBurnie likely starters up front?

Fleck ready to return?

Any role for Morrison today?

Really looking forward to this today, and if we can grab that win, it should propel us up the table somewhat with some tricky fixtures for some above us. I'm a bit torn on the result, but I fancy us not to lose. I think they will score and I have niggling urge to go for 2-2, but I'll keep the positive stance, with a 2-1 Blades victory, McBurnie scoring and Che for them....

UTB

So after the successful international break as far as England are concerned, we are finally back in action at BDBL with the visit of Southampton. Arguably the sort of game we should be looking to take points from, particularly at home. However, Southampton are now pretty well established in the PL, and their know how will provide a very difficult test for us. Another 30,000 plus attendance and our marauding style could prove the difference between the two....

But anyway...

Any team news? :)

A game too soon for Mousset to start?

McGoldrick and McBurnie likely starters up front?

Fleck ready to return?

Any role for Morrison today?

Really looking forward to this today, and if we can grab that win, it should propel us up the table somewhat with some tricky fixtures for some above us. I'm a bit torn on the result, but I fancy us not to lose. I think they will score and I have niggling urge to go for 2-2, but I'll keep the positive stance, with a 2-1 Blades victory, McBurnie scoring and Che for them....

UTB

Loyse ☹

7 - 0

Morrison - 6
A plucky fan from the Kop who fills in for an injured Billy Sharp coming off the bench to bag - 1

Our next fixtures Everton's A, Liverpoo H, Watford A, Arsenal H, West Ham A. So this looks like possibly our easiest match of those on paper. We absolutely need 3 points today and have got a tough run facing us so the cushion will sustain belief. Please let's hope the club have finally sorted out how to get everyone properly focussed after an international break. Expect it to be jizz central on MOTD if we beat Southampton but even more tough work is ahead. We can do this. Another 1-0 .I'm setting off now . COYRAWW!!!!!!

Last edited:
First match in a long time for me at the Lane. Travelled down from Scotland and now a nervous wreck. Any tips on how to survive the day without a nervous breakdown.
Fish and chips. A few pints. Glorious day, hope you packed a cap if you are on lower Kop or in JSS.

Feeling very confident about this one.

2-0 Blades. McBurnie and Stevens.

Players to bag against former clubs 2-1 United, McGoldrick Sharp - Adams

Gonna go, 2-0.

McBurnie and Robinson. Both goals in the 2nd half.

This really should be a must win for us. Southampton are gonna be in a relegation battle and, really, aren't that good nowadays.

"must win" already?
It's going to be a hell of a season...

Back
Top Bottom