CONFIRMED Lys Mousset

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Newcastle United ready to pay £36m for 11-goal forward: A good choice by the Magpies

Nearly as good as Wet spam spending 45 million on a striker who scored 14 goals in grermany

I must say this rhetoric has always made me feel a bit uncomfortable. The implication being that because we've been promoted a couple of times and play nice football, fans are no longer entitled to disagree or question ANYTHING the manager does.
He's primarily accountable to the fans, you lose them, your position soon become untenable. I am obviously not advocating that, my point is, he's made some stinking signings so far; Hussey, Leonard, Thomas, Washington - It's not an indication of being a negative fan to question a random signing.
It’s not a random signing though. That’s one thing we know about Wilder - he does his research.

Lots of potential in this, obviously could be a Washington/Marriott situation with Mousset/Maupay where we've got the previous model on the cheap hoping he can recover his form, and he doesn't.

But equally, we have also just bought a fast, 23 year old striker with some Premier League experience for about £5m.

Depreciation doesn't seem to exist in the PL considering Bournemouth might end up making a profit, so as long as we're not looking for him to score 20+, it's quite low risk.

what strikers in our bracket would you not have concern over ? Genuine question.

Very true....I would even have concerns if we bought Maupay and/or McBurnie
As both have only been top notch for ONE year and both are untested at PL level.
The beauty with all 3 is that they are all quite young, presumably hungry and hoping to prove themselves.

I must say this rhetoric has always made me feel a bit uncomfortable. The implication being that because we've been promoted a couple of times and play nice football, fans are no longer entitled to disagree or question ANYTHING the manager does.
He's primarily accountable to the fans, you lose them, your position soon become untenable. I am obviously not advocating that, my point is, he's made some stinking signings so far; Hussey, Leonard, Thomas, Washington - It's not an indication of being a negative fan to question a random signing.

2016/17
Simon Moore - 👍
Ebanks-Landell - 👍
Jack O'Connell - 👍
James Wilson (Oldham)
Jake Wright - 👍
Danny Lafferty - 👍
Chris Hussey
John Fleck - 👍
Samir Carruthers - 👍
Mark Duffy - 👍
Leon Clarke - 👍
James Hanson - 👍
Caolan Lavery

2017/18
Jamal Blackman - 👍
Richard Stearman - 👍
Carter-Vickers - 👍
Enda Stevens - 👍
George Baldock - 👍
Lee Evans - 👍
John Lundstram - 👍
Ryan Leonard - Made us money if nothing else!
Ricky Homes
James Wilson (MUFC)
Clayton Donaldson - 👍
Ched Evans

2018/19
Dean Henderson - 👍
John Egan - 👍
Martin Cranie - 👍
Kean Bryan - remains to be seen
Oliver Norwood - 👍
Marvin Johnson (loan)
Kieran Dowell - 👍
Ben Woodburn (loan)
Scott Hogan - 👍
Gary Madine - 👍
Conor Washington - 👍
David McGoldrick - 👍

2019/20
Phil Jagielka
Luke Freeman
Ravel Morrison
Callum Robinson
*Lys Moussett

Prior to this season, 37 in, of which 27 (or 70% ish) are widely seen as successful appointments. Pretty good strike rate IMO. Deserves all the respect he (the staff) gets - to expect a 100% success rate is, basically, ridiculous.

20 odd goals last season McBurnie - priced out.
20 odd goals last season Maupay - Priced out.

3 goals in 57 games Mousset....sure.
Really bad return for no. 9 no?! Quite worrying. Wilder maybe the Tarantino of footie managers, but can even he resurrect this gunshy striker’s career?

Yeah, fair enough, cant disagree with that. People can question signings, but not the condemnation and vitriol that's been spouted with this one!

It's one thing to question signings but it's another to do so with (very) limited information to backup your opinion. The majority on here (including myself) have never seen Mousset play live and are seemingly basing their their view simply on his goalscoring.

He has been tracked for > 2 years. CW & co will know pretty much all there is to know about him and if they're prepared to risk a substantial outlay on him, you can guarantee they feel the probability of him being a success is high.

Really bad return for no. 9 no?! Quite worrying. Wilder maybe the Tarantino of footie managers, but can even he resurrect this gunshy striker’s career?

Only played 13 games worth of minutes though if that eases your worries.

Serial substitute for Bournemouth, and if you're coming on in the 75th minute for Bournemouth, you're hardly going to be joining an attacking system are you.

He's scored 3 goals in 58 appearances for Bournemouth.

Am I missing something about how he plays, or is just a shocking return for a forward? Am I right to wonder why we'd be going in for him? Not seen him play in fairness.
I’m worried we’re scraping the barrel now. I don’t get why these skinflint owners don’t give just the extra few million to get the forward Wilder wants.

Can't stomach reading all of the previous 16 pages, so apologies if point already been made.
We praise CWAK/Mitchell team for all their due diligence and personality checks on potential recruits, but then some keyboard worriers use google and youtube for what little facts that's available to slag off and criticise potential signings. Give our staff the respect and credibility they deserve.

Calm down and let those who know best (and have all the information), get on with their jobs.
I've got no problem with that, just raising a metaphorical eye brow.

Given the players we've signed so far and the ones we're linked with I think this is the most exciting summer /transfer window in Sheffield uniteds history and I've been watching them since division 4
Would anyone disagree apart from the usual negheads

Given the players we've signed so far and the ones we're linked with I think this is the most exciting summer /transfer window in Sheffield uniteds history and I've been watching them since division 4
Completely agree. We don't know whether everyone will be a success, especially Morrison, but the potential is there for a very exciting season.

2016/17
Simon Moore - 👍
Ebanks-Landell - 👍
Jack O'Connell - 👍
James Wilson (Oldham)
Jake Wright - 👍
Danny Lafferty - 👍
Chris Hussey
John Fleck - 👍
Samir Carruthers - 👍
Mark Duffy - 👍
Leon Clarke - 👍
James Hanson - 👍
Caolan Lavery

2017/18
Jamal Blackman - 👍
Richard Stearman - 👍
Carter-Vickers - 👍
Enda Stevens - 👍
George Baldock - 👍
Lee Evans - 👍
John Lundstram - 👍
Ricky Homes
James Wilson (MUFC)
Clayton Donaldson - 👍
Ched Evans

2018/19
Dean Henderson - 👍
John Egan - 👍
Martin Cranie - 👍
Oliver Norwood - 👍
Marvin Johnson (loan)
Kieran Dowell - 👍
Ben Woodburn (loan)
Scott Hogan - 👍
Gary Madine - 👍
Conor Washington - 👍
David McGoldrick - 👍

2019/20
Phil Jagielka
Luke Freeman
Ravel Morrison
Callum Robinson
*Lys Moussett

Prior to this season, 37 in, of which 27 (or 70% ish) are widely seen as successful appointments. Pretty good strike rate IMO. Deserves all the respect he (the staff) gets - to expect a 100% success rate is, basically, ridiculous.

If you can take a club from 11th in League One to the Premiership in 3 seasons with an outlay of less than £10m and a fairly modest wage bill (whilst only really using 4 players from the squad you inherited) its de facto that your transfer business has been nothing other than excellent.

You have to ask why tho surely?

2016/17
Simon Moore - 👍
Ebanks-Landell - 👍
Jack O'Connell - 👍
James Wilson (Oldham)
Jake Wright - 👍
Danny Lafferty - 👍
Chris Hussey
John Fleck - 👍
Samir Carruthers - 👍
Mark Duffy - 👍
Leon Clarke - 👍
James Hanson - 👍
Caolan Lavery

2017/18
Jamal Blackman - 👍
Richard Stearman - 👍
Carter-Vickers - 👍
Enda Stevens - 👍
George Baldock - 👍
Lee Evans - 👍
John Lundstram - 👍
Ricky Homes
James Wilson (MUFC)
Clayton Donaldson - 👍
Ched Evans

2018/19
Dean Henderson - 👍
John Egan - 👍
Martin Cranie - 👍
Oliver Norwood - 👍
Marvin Johnson (loan)
Kieran Dowell - 👍
Ben Woodburn (loan)
Scott Hogan - 👍
Gary Madine - 👍
Conor Washington - 👍
David McGoldrick - 👍

2019/20
Phil Jagielka
Luke Freeman
Ravel Morrison
Callum Robinson
*Lys Moussett

If you can take a club from 11th in League One to the Premiership in 3 seasons with an outlay of less than £10m and a fairly modest wage bill (whilst only really using 4 players from the squad you inherited) its de facto that your transfer business has been nothing other than excellent.

100%, some just struggle to see the wood for the trees....

Maybe there was a really good one in the early 1900s but in my life, aye.

I was pretty excited when we signed Beattie, but this is every signing breaking a record, young, pacy players, England captains, "better than Ryan Giggs" midfielders.

I can remember the time when you never heard from a manager, you never knew about a new signing until the very last minute, and fans didn't judge them or moan and groan until they had seen them play a few games at the very least. Our job was simple, go to the match and cheer the team on. That's all there was. The only fans you could ever discuss anything with were the ones who stood nearest to you on the kop, or your friends and family.
Don't get me wrong, I love some of the modern trappings and conveniences, but life sure was much simpler then, with less stress and fewer heart attacks.

So we're clear, this is what scraping the barrel looks like:

View attachment 57743
That brings back memories.

He was average to OK on his debut.

But his debut was probably his best display for us. It all went down hill after that. He seemed surprisingly poor.
We used to joke at the match that he must have a twin brother and we’ve got the wrong brother playing for us.
We reckoned the real Michael Higdon was backpacking around South East Asia somewhere.

Lots of potential in this, obviously could be a Washington/Marriott situation with Mousset/Maupay where we've got the previous model on the cheap hoping he can recover his form, and he doesn't.

But equally, we have also just bought a fast, 23 year old striker with some Premier League experience for about £5m.

Depreciation doesn't seem to exist in the PL considering Bournemouth might end up making a profit, so as long as we're not looking for him to score 20+, it's quite low risk.

Apologies if I’ve missed it - where has the £5m figure come from? All I’ve seen reported is £10m..

Enough with the goal scoring thing.

Oli McBurnie 1356 PL minutes played ZERO goals scored.
Maupay never played in the PL - Unproven

Weve not signed him over Naymar or Messi.

Bit of perspective.

Sorry to tangent away from your actual point here, but where did you get those PL numbers for McBurnie? Transfermarkt reckons 345 PL minutes (0 goals).

As it happens that's almost exactly the amount of minutes Mousset played in the Prem last season.

Apologies if I’ve missed it - where has the £5m figure come from? All I’ve seen reported is £10m..

Just saw it on twatter a few times, £4-6m upfront, rising to £9.5m

Sounded about right.

Back
Top Bottom