Possible Summer Targets - Premier League

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

An ideal bunch for me at this point...

Dean Henderson - £6m (with buy back clause)
Reece James - Loan
Jake Cooper - £4m
Calum Chambers - Loan
George Saville - £6m
Luke Freeman £6m
Callum Robinson - £6m
Shane Long - £3m
Oliver McBurnie - £9m

Total: £40m + loan fees. Too ambitious?

A lot of physical improvement to the squad there. Every position covered. We will need at least 8 signings.

GK: Henderson, Moore
RWB: James, Baldock, Freeman
RCB: Basham, James, Cranie
CB: Egan, Cooper, Stearman
LCB: O'Connell, Cooper
LWB: Stevens, Saville
RCM: Chambers, Norwood, Coutts, James
LCM: Fleck, Saville
AM: Freeman, Duffy, Robinson, McGoldrick
CF: Sharp, McGoldrick, McBurnie, Long, Robinson

Like the look of that, however don’t you have to name a squad of 25 to pick from? 30 in there isn’t there?

Like the look of that, however don’t you have to name a squad of 25 to pick from? 30 in there isn’t there?

24 there. With Stearman, Freeman and Coutts as 'extras' who could be allowed to leave if they wanted to. Maybe add Madine as well.

I like the look of it but I can almost guarantee that Wilder will have something more ambitious in mind.

Ezri Konsa, Jarrod Bowen, Aaron Mooy, Jonny Evans, Kieran Gibbs, Charlie Austin

Konsa is the one I was thinking of. Right age and first saw him playing in midfield against us down at Charlton. Couldn’t believe how young he was then as he really stood out. I think Arsenal were after him at one point.

I'm guessing the following will go or will fall further down the pecking order -

Stearman: we are going to need a better version of him that's obvious. If Egan gets injured we cant have him as the only back up.
Heneghan: Loan again probably
Kean Bryan: I'd be surprised if we got rid of him completely most likely will be loaned
Lafferty: Released
Freeman: Is he good enough to be Baldocks back up? Baldock does get 1 or 2 injuries a year so we will need a back up.
Carruthers: Released from rest of his contract ? Not sure where he'd go, he cant get in the Oxford squad. Possibly league two?
Ricky Holmes: Released from the rest of his contract?
Nathan Thomas: Released or loaned
Ched: Possibly could get a bit of money for him, decent signing for most league one/ lower championship teams
Leon Clarke: Again should get some money for him.
Lavery: Probably be released
Coutts: I can see him being released unfortunately

Then we've got Marvin Johnson, Madine, Dowell and Hogan all going back and I'm not sure whether we'll look to sign any of them permanently.

With that in mind I think we'll be in the market for:

Henderson
Two centre halves? Cover at central and left side
LWB and RWB cover
One central midfielder
Attacking midfielder
Two strikers?

That's 8 signings excluding Henderson that we're probably looking at. I know we're not looking to overhaul the squad and ultimately the core will remain. I think we signed a similar number when we were promoted from League one.

Nice breakdown...got me thinking though, that's some serious money to spend if we're to improve our squad. Granted we can have a couple of loan's so maybe we only buy 6...I can't see us spending more than £30m and there's no way we'd get more than £5m for our out of favour ones. Going to be an interesting window!

Cairney and Mitrovic (Fulham)
Hernández (Leeds)
Mendez-Laing (Cardiff)
Abraham and McGinn (Villa)
Phillips and Gayle (West Brom)

Too expensive and has had one good season, might be no good in the PL. Then again he might be worth a punt....but not at that price.

They sell there best players for 12m it’s the going rate from champ to prem. At 12 I would be interested

I'm loving some of these suggestions and raising my eyebrows at some others.

If anyone seriously thinks we'll spend more than £15mill on a single player then i'd like some of whatever you've been smoking. This rules out the likes of Maupey, Bowen etc as current Prem teams were quoted those sorts of figures in January. The only plus to this is the team looking at Maupey was Udders who now won't be.

Karlan Grant is a great shout but i believe Udders specifically bought him with The Champ in mind although that's not to say the right bid couldn't get him.

Brentford would sell anybody for the right price and would definitely look at Konsa, Canos and Motojka plus Maupey if the price was right. Realistically he'd be the long term replacement for Sharp.

For the No10 role i probably wouldn't look further than Freeman or Robinson.

Chambers would be an outstanding upgrade on Basham.

For me Fleck and Norwood would need serious competition to keep them on their toes. Mooy would be a great shout. Would love Sawyers although he'll almost 100% end up at Villa if they win the playoffs and would seriously look at Ryan woods.

Up top i seriously have no idea really although i think Madine will be signed as a Plan B as long as the fee is right. Sam Vokes maybe another option.

IMO we need 2 players for each position which seems to be CWs preference so think we may see quite an few signings even if theyre more squad players as can't see many outside of the current "first 11" making the step up.

Wouldn't mind Mendez-Laing. He's stupidly fast and powerful.

We should be considering players who can play in a 2 behind 1 striker. For example Harry Wilson and Callum Robinson.

Or Che Adams - who Norwich have been linked with this morning. If they could get him, then surely we could?

We should be considering players who can play in a 2 behind 1 striker. For example Harry Wilson and Callum Robinson.

Or Che Adams - who Norwich have been linked with this morning. If they could get him, then surely we could?
Che Adams does something good a couple of times in a game and then is anonymous for the rest of it.

I know Maupay will be worth more but i'd rather spend more and get Maupay

No way are we signing Tom Cairney. He'll cost way more than what we'd pay, and he doesn't work anywhere near hard enough.

In behind Mitrovic, Abraham and Gayle :)

Dont think Mendez-Laing would be anywhere near good enough for the number 10 role personally.

Henderson
Joe Lolley
The Brentford number 10 - Beharima?
Calum Robinson from Preston
A defender on loan

That’s a realistic list for me.

Lots of opinions for players and many millions of expense that we simply don't have available - transfer fees, wages, agents fees.

Hendo - on loan again from Man U - a GK is an absolute necessity. Loaning saves a big transfer fee for next season. Bit of a gamble, but we all know Hendo will not let us down. Well worth making him no 1 next season.

Bowen - buy from Hull. He has 12 months left on his Hull contract and he will go somewhere.. 22yo - he'll play virtually every game which should be the main temptation to him. £15m + whatever Hull ask for in a sell on. We desperately need pace and he creates goals for himself. He should know and get written in his contract that he can go if we get relegated. Why should he go to Spurs next season and be a bench warmer. He should be reminded of Maguire sat on Hulls bench and as soon as someone (Leicester) decided to love him properly, he blossomed.

Abraham - hopefully Villa don't go up and we can loan him from Chelsea. We are only allowed 2 loans from Prem clubs at any one time. The lad has to be ready for the Premier League after Bristol and Villa.

If not Abraham, then not sure, as we may have to spend money on buying a centre forward. Gayle is a little shit, but he scores goals, always has, but doubt Newcastle would loan him to another Prem team. Perhaps Mcburnie, but Swansea don't really have to sell - they are still in year 2 of parachute payments.

These 3 to go straight into the starting line up for game 1 in August.

Theory is: We should not change much early in the season and keep the momentum from the Championship - similar to when we came out of L1. The majority deserve the chance to produce in the Prem.

As for others - there are many who we could sign for serious competition or backup to existing players.

SKY might be dropping £100m plus into our bank account, but it quite simply can't be used just for players.

UTB

Dont think Mendez-Laing would be anywhere near good enough for the number 10 role personally.

I was joking. He's always played right wing whenever I've seen him (including for Utd previously) so really don't see how he'd fit with CW's preferred formation or style of play.

I was joking. He's always played right wing whenever I've seen him (including for Utd previously) so really don't see how he'd fit with CW's preferred formation or style of play.

Fair enough. :)

To be fair, I reckon some wingers would be perfectly suited to the role, Duffy started as a winger after all. Dan James at Swansea is someone who I'd be interested to see in that position.

I think Mendez-Laing would struggle though as I'm not sure he's as good enough with his feet.

Fair enough. :)

To be fair, I reckon some wingers would be perfectly suited to the role, Duffy started as a winger after all. Dan James at Swansea is someone who I'd be interested to see in that position.

I think Mendez-Laing would struggle though as I'm not sure he's as good enough with his feet.

Some fair shouts there but tbh I wouldn't want to take a risk on converting a winger to the #10 role even though some may well be able to cope and possibly even thrive as Duffy has done. I think there are plenty of ready made options e.g .Sawyers, Pritchard, Canos, Robinson, Dack, Powell.

Last edited:
Ola Aina RWB - Chelsea

Had a good season for Hull last year and has kicked on at Torino playing at RWB and LWB in their 352 formation. Pacy, strong player who’s technically very good with two good feet and only 22 would fit in our system well and I *think* he’s gettable.

Some fair shouts there but tbh I wouldn't want to take a risk on converting a winger to the #10 role. I think there are plenty of ready made options e.g .Sawyers, Pritchard, Canos, Robinson, Dack, Powell.

You're right, it would probabaly be better to buy someone who's already experienced in the role. Dan James was more of an outside shout on the subject of wingers converting to no 10.

I like some of your suggestions btw. From my knowledge, Callum Robinson is a centre-forward and Nick Powell plays deeper, so not sure about them for the no 10 - would probabaly try for them both in their natural roles though.

I'd offload/bring in;

Moore - Need someone better as back up (assuming Hendo returns). I'd look at someone like Marshall at Hull, who is experienced and maybe not too bothered about playing as often.

Freeman - Has been a great servant, but I feel that we need better competition now with Baldock. Connor Roberts at Swansea looks a good prospect, or Bogle at Derby.

Marvin Johnson - No description needed. Kelly at Bristol City has had a good season and could offer competition to Stevens.

Lundstram - Served his 'purpose'. Not sure what he can offer at all in the Prem. Swift at Reading could be a good understudy to Fleck.

Coutts - The saddest of all, but he just hasn't looked the same since his injury and I can't see him pushing on now. Probably needs games elsewhere to get back in it. Browne at Preston to deputise Norwood. Leroy Fer would be good too, for games where we need a bit more of a presence.

Dowell - Not sure I'd renew his loan. He's played a big part in our promotion and been a good loan signing. I'm just not sure if he can do it just yet in the Premier League. Lolley at Forest or Bowen at Hull (probably too expensive) are one of many I'd be looking at.

Hogan - As with Dowell really. Tammy Abraham on loan would be the top of my list, but that'd depend on Villa's situation next season, I suspect.

Madine - As with the other two January loans, done well, but feel the Championship is his level. McBurnie from Swansea would be my realistic pick.

I'd look to bring some CB cover in, in addition to the above - Reece James or someone of that ilk, in on loan.

Release - Jake Wright, Lafferty, Carruthers, Washington, Holmes, Thomas, Heneghan, Lavery.

That'd leave a squad of:

Gk - Henderson, Marshall, Eastwood
RWB - Baldock, Roberts
RCB - James, Basham, Crainie
CB - Egan, Stearman
LCB - JOC, Bryan
LWB - Stevens, Kelly
CM - Norwood, Browne, Fer
CM - Fleck, Swift
AM - Lolley/Bowen, Duffy
FW - Sharp, Abraham
FW - McGoldrick, McBurnie

That's 25 and then look to pick up a couple under 21 - another striker as back up and another centre mid as cover (Connell at Bolton?).

I'd generally agree with those players leaving S64; although I'd feel awful about Coutts and Freeman given their service. But hey ho, no room for sentiment and they'll find new clubs certainly.

I'd also say we'll get fees for Heneghen and Thomas at least , so no need to 'release'.

I'd offload/bring in;

Moore - Need someone better as back up (assuming Hendo returns). I'd look at someone like Marshall at Hull, who is experienced and maybe not too bothered about playing as often.

Freeman - Has been a great servant, but I feel that we need better competition now with Baldock. Connor Roberts at Swansea looks a good prospect, or Bogle at Derby.

Marvin Johnson - No description needed. Kelly at Bristol City has had a good season and could offer competition to Stevens.

Lundstram - Served his 'purpose'. Not sure what he can offer at all in the Prem. Swift at Reading could be a good understudy to Fleck.

Coutts - The saddest of all, but he just hasn't looked the same since his injury and I can't see him pushing on now. Probably needs games elsewhere to get back in it. Browne at Preston to deputise Norwood. Leroy Fer would be good too, for games where we need a bit more of a presence.

Dowell - Not sure I'd renew his loan. He's played a big part in our promotion and been a good loan signing. I'm just not sure if he can do it just yet in the Premier League. Lolley at Forest or Bowen at Hull (probably too expensive) are one of many I'd be looking at.

Hogan - As with Dowell really. Tammy Abraham on loan would be the top of my list, but that'd depend on Villa's situation next season, I suspect.

Madine - As with the other two January loans, done well, but feel the Championship is his level. McBurnie from Swansea would be my realistic pick.

I'd look to bring some CB cover in, in addition to the above - Reece James or someone of that ilk, in on loan.

Release - Jake Wright, Lafferty, Carruthers, Washington, Holmes, Thomas, Heneghan, Lavery.

That'd leave a squad of:

Gk - Henderson, Marshall, Eastwood
RWB - Baldock, Roberts
RCB - James, Basham, Crainie
CB - Egan, Stearman
LCB - JOC, Bryan
LWB - Stevens, Kelly
CM - Norwood, Browne, Fer
CM - Fleck, Swift
AM - Lolley/Bowen, Duffy
FW - Sharp, Abraham
FW - McGoldrick, McBurnie

That's 25 and then look to pick up a couple under 21 - another striker as back up and another centre mid as cover (Connell at Bolton?).
That would certainly be a good squad for us. Out of curiosity, what figures are you putting against the purchases?

That would certainly be a good squad for us. Out of curiosity, what figures are you putting against the purchases?
No idea to be quite honest! I'm guessing well over £30m. More if Bowen is involved as I think Hull want about £15m.

They seem 'reasonable', perhaps with the exception of Bowen who could end up at a mid/top end side.

The difference now, is we have a warchest and we're a really exciting proposition to come to, with a management that are proven to develop your game.

Back
Top Bottom