Incoming? Lee Gregory

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In terms of attributes, Lee Gregory fans, I beg you tell me what he brings to the party if this rumour is at all true.

He's no different to what we have and a similar age.
We either need more pace or more aerial ability as Leon has a 50 pence head.

Matt Smith at QPR would be a good option for the latter attribute since Schteve doesn't seem to fancy him. He did well under Holloway last year.

He's a decent striker at this level, and we need a striker.

He could probably get double figures.

He's nearly as good as Billy.

He'd be good back up.

Him and another striker would be fine really.

I did not. I'm not slagging him off because I haven't seen enough of him but I personally have never seen him play well. That's all I was saying .
Before the match at the Den, my son asked me if I thought we should sign Gregory, I said "No". He said he thought we should sign him. After the match I said to him "Maybe you are right"

Leaving it till the very last minute to get our main striker signing in only for it to be Gregory would be perfectly typical and so predictable.

I must have imagined the bit about Wilder being after a striker all summer

Wilder has already made it clear that we're not pursuing Gregory. I think the term was, "Our radar is looking elsewhere".
He also said we wouldn't be signing anyone permanently as there was no one we could afford better than what we had.

A week later we signed Norwood on effectively a permanent basis.
You take everything a manager says with a pinch of salt. Not that I believe this because someones posted it on here, mind.

Gregory would be a little underwhelming but he’s a proven player at this level plus he’s not injury prone. 40 games of Gregory on 15k per week or 25 games of Hogan on 35k per week might be the reality.

We need 4 decent strikers at this level and his overall record of about 55 in 160 for Millwall and 0.41 goals per game in his career is not to be sniffed at.

We have just 3 strikers right now. He’d be better than all those we let go and similar in ability to what we have so at least if someone is injured or out of form the quality wouldn’t drop.

I’d be reluctant to lose Leonard though.

He is arguably 6th choice midfielder behind the holy trinity, Norwood and Basham but just like Bash his adaptability meant he’s always worth a spot in the squad and if Bash is playing and playing well, there will be cases where Leonard into midfield makes sense.

If it was Lunny for Gregory then definitely.

Getting Gregory I’d be ok with. Getting him and losing Leonard, I’m less sure.

He also said we wouldn't be signing anyone permanently as there was no one we could afford better than what we had.

A week later we signed Norwood on effectively a permanent basis.
You take everything a manager says with a pinch of salt. Not that I believe this because someones posted it on here, mind.

Clearly, for the role he had in mind, Norwood was better than any existing squad player, which shouldn't make you cynical, just realistic about what Wilder is attempting to do. He was quite categorical about Gregory, and I for one think we need better and different.

Clearly, for the role he had in mind, Norwood was better than any existing squad player, which shouldn't make you cynical, just realistic about what Wilder is attempting to do. He was quite categorical about Gregory, and I for one think we need better and different.
I also think we need better and different. I also don't sign up to the fact we're after him because someone I've never heard of has said so on S2.

But I do think managers often say things that aren't true. Maybe we are interested but have a good relationship with Millwall, or Chris has a good relationship with Neil Harris and doesn't want to disrupt in public? We'll never know I suppose but with our pool of strikers becoming smaller I find it hard to believe he isn't on a list somewhere.

Personally I'd rather have Matt Smith at QPR than nearly every other realistic and attainable Championship target. He's not got the pace we all are craving but he had a great scoring record for a crap side last year and he's fucking massive. We could do with some serious aerial ability in attack - Leon is big and not bad at winning headers but he's got a 10 bob head.

I also think we need better and different. I also don't sign up to the fact we're after him because someone I've never heard of has said so on S2.

But I do think managers often say things that aren't true. Maybe we are interested but have a good relationship with Millwall, or Chris has a good relationship with Neil Harris and doesn't want to disrupt in public? We'll never know I suppose but with our pool of strikers becoming smaller I find it hard to believe he isn't on a list somewhere.

Personally I'd rather have Matt Smith at QPR than nearly every other realistic and attainable Championship target. He's not got the pace we all are craving but he had a great scoring record for a crap side last year and he's fucking massive. We could do with some serious aerial ability in attack - Leon is big and not bad at winning headers but he's got a 10 bob head.

I agree, QPR's Smith would be a target worth pursuing. Whether he's on Wilder's list remains to be seen.

Personally I don't subscribe to the adage that (all) manager's lie. They might be economical with the truth, but often there's a reason for this that makes complete sense to those in the know. My feeling is, that based on repeated comments that Wilder has made, we'll ultimately have to pay for the type of forward(s) that will turn us into a serious goal threat. And I say that after Saturday's result as the difference was the alertness of the midfield who took the chances created.

Personally I would be disappointed to see Gregory come with Leonard going the other way if this has any truth in it.

However whilst I think Leonard has a role to play for us in certain games, he is never going to be a regular starter, and maybe wants to leave for game time.

Equally I'd be underwhelmed by Gregory, especially if he comes at a decent cost, but we need bodies as well as quality. Therefore Gregory would be a useful addition as the alternative to either nobody or a risky unproven player.

If our midfielders and defenders keep scoring who needs strikers? :)

Seriously, I wouldn’t want Leonard to go, as others have said, he’s very useful.

On Gregory.... well, its at a time in his career where he’d love to come here and play for his boyhood club, knows the traditions, makes good space for himself, his movement is good and knows where the onion bag is when presented with chances which he will definitely get playing for us so having thought about it for short while wouldn’t be a bad signing at all and would be the right time for him and us in aiding our cause to move up the leagues.

Ultimately, If we were to sign him then don’t get rid of Leonard though.

Do all this and bring another striker in and we look in really good shape. You can never have enough strikers, it brings the best out of the ones already here and keeps everyone on their toes. Competition for places is key to any side who have aspirations to play higher up the ladder.

Gregory would be a little underwhelming but he’s a proven player at this level plus he’s not injury prone. 40 games of Gregory on 15k per week or 25 games of Hogan on 35k per week might be the reality.

We need 4 decent strikers at this level and his overall record of about 55 in 160 for Millwall and 0.41 goals per game in his career is not to be sniffed at.

We have just 3 strikers right now. He’d be better than all those we let go and similar in ability to what we have so at least if someone is injured or out of form the quality wouldn’t drop.

I’d be reluctant to lose Leonard though.

He is arguably 6th choice midfielder behind the holy trinity, Norwood and Basham but just like Bash his adaptability meant he’s always worth a spot in the squad and if Bash is playing and playing well, there will be cases where Leonard into midfield makes sense.

If it was Lunny for Gregory then definitely.

Getting Gregory I’d be ok with. Getting him and losing Leonard, I’m less sure.

I don't know where this has popped up from again, but Wilder kicked the Gregory thing into touch ages ago. As for losing Leonard, crikey, I wouldn't miss him at all. He's been about as much use as a chocolate fireguard so far. I know...he might come good...but all I see him being good for at the moment is a stand-by. Love the lad to prove me wrong, but he's got some serious competition in that midfield with Duffy, Fleck, Norwood and Coutts to come back. I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the ones that leave on deadline day. Somewhere back south perhaps.

And once again, for those that can’t get to grips with the basic methodology of Tuftyball, why do we need a 6’6” CF / Target man such as Matt Smith ?

Seriously, why ??

UTB
Why do we need what is essentially the same attributes we already have?

And because he’s a striker. Something different to what we have now. Double figures last year.

Do I need to remind you we were playing ‘tuftyball’ (Jesus can we agree to never say that again?) when we signed James Hanson. Infamous target man.

For the record the reason Clarke always starts and doesn’t come off is because of his height in both boxes. So ‘Tufty’ clearly likes height upfront.

I don't know where this has popped up from again, but Wilder kicked the Gregory thing into touch ages ago. As for losing Leonard, crikey, I wouldn't miss him at all. He's been about as much use as a chocolate fireguard so far. I know...he might come good...but all I see him being good for at the moment is a stand-by. Love the lad to prove me wrong, but he's got some serious competition in that midfield with Duffy, Fleck, Norwood and Coutts to come back. I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the ones that leave on deadline day. Somewhere back south perhaps.
Leonard IS coming good already. Had a good cameo against QPR and was really good against Norwich.

Why do we need what is essentially the same attributes we already have?

And because he’s a striker. Something different to what we have now. Double figures last year.

Do I need to remind you we were playing ‘tuftyball’ (Jesus can we agree to never say that again?) when we signed James Hanson. Infamous target man.

For the record the reason Clarke always starts and doesn’t come off is because of his height in both boxes. So ‘Tufty’ clearly likes height upfront.
As a plan B fine. You can have your big lump if it pleases ya.

As a plan A. In the Championship. In 2018 ?

Nay fucking chance.

With the methodology we deploy week in week out, give me a combination of Sharp, Ched, Hogan everyday of the week over any Target men sort.

UTB

That’s an harsh disservice to Leonard, he’s proved an effective sub twice already and will do so many times again.

Wilder does like a lump. That's why he signed Hanson.

Smith would be like a really good Hanson.

He'd be an impact sub more than anything but is good enough to start games, and if we added him to the mix we could suddenly become very strong from set pieces, with Norwood's deliveries already making a difference.

Smith and a quick silky fucker would give us a full range of options up front.

Ideally we'd sign someone who's 2 players in 1 - tall, quick and skillful but there aren't many around. Joao and Gallagher seemed like the closest we could get but they're now off the menu - although why the fuck Southampton won't loan Gallagher out is beyond me.

Why are we all getting our knickers in a twist over one probably dodgy rumour (no offence Blade1959)?!

It’s the Bladesfans’ Way.

A few are actually hoping and praying we make no signings at all so they can take yet another kick at what they claim to be their club and have attention-seeking tantrums.

Back
Top Bottom