Your first Blades FA Cup tie you went to & your most memorable one

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

0-0 draw Stoke City, missed the 5-1 thumping of the mighty Boston Utd in the 2nd round reply due to a school play.

Most memorable: (tin hat time) 93 semi, I know the result was shit; but the weekend we had in Stevenage (of all places) was brilliant 10 Blades in a B&B without a pig in sight!

My first ever United FA cup tie, home to Newcastle in 1977, don't remember much about the match other than it finished 1-1, which I suppose wasn't a bad result against a top tier team, although I reckon we lost the replay 1-3. I have at the back of my mind that Paul Garner scored in one of the games???

First match ended 0-0. Yes Garner scored in the replay.

My first was a 1st round replay v Stockport in December 1980. We won 3-2 aet with Steve Charles getting the winner. Remember it was freezing!

There have been quite a few memorable ones, Glyn Hodges chip in the 2-1 v Man U, the penalty shoot out wins v Blackburn and Coventry. But for the day out, it has to be the Hull semi at Wembley. So proud of my team that day as we actually showed up and scored not just once but 3 times.

Man U at home in 94 was the first cup match I attended. First cup memory that springs to mind was watching the 5th round tie vs the same opposition the previous season on TV. Had the semi final score relayed to me by my parents who'd watched it in a boozer via telephone while stopping at my auntie and uncle's house down south, that was horrific.

Best cup memory was vs Coventry at the Lane in 98. Last minute equaliser, pens and a pitch invasion against a very decent Coventry side.

Other notable games/moments:

vs Arsenal in '99 - Overmars, Bruce etc. Watched the beamback at the lane

vs 4-3 vs Ipswich in 03 - despite the apathy and low crowd (concentrating on the league at the time) this was an incredibly entertaining game settled by a screamer from Michael Brown .

vs Arsenal in 05 - last minute equaliser to earn a replay, fell through my seat and smashed it to bits in the celebrations.

vs Hull in 2014 - Baxter's goal after 20 mins, United score at Wembley? Fuck off.

Man U at home in 94 was the first cup match I attended. First cup memory that springs to mind was watching the 5th round tie vs the same opposition the previous season on TV. Had the semi final score relayed to me by my parents who'd watched it in a boozer via telephone while stopping at my auntie and uncle's house down south, that was horrific.

Best cup memory was vs Coventry at the Lane in 98. Last minute equaliser, pens and a pitch invasion against a very decent Coventry side.

Other notable games/moments:

vs Arsenal in '99 - Overmars, Bruce etc. Watched the beamback at the lane

vs 4-3 vs Ipswich in 03 - despite the apathy and low crowd (concentrating on the league at the time) this was an incredibly entertaining game settled by a screamer from Michael Brown .

vs Arsenal in 05 - last minute equaliser to earn a replay, fell through my seat and smashed it to bits in the celebrations.

vs Hull in 2014 - Baxter's goal after 20 mins, United score at Wembley? Fuck off.
Yes the Ipswich game I think we were 3.0 up and they pulled it back to 3.3. At the time we were preoccupied with the League Cup and the FA Cup run to the semis almost sneaked under the radar. Even beating L**ds in the quarters was somewhat low-key. Any other season the Ipswich game would have been game of the season.

First for me being an old git , was 1964 away v Lincoln City in the third round. We played in Tangerine shirts & White shorts ( the only other time I can recall playing in this strip was at Newcastle a couple of years earlier) , we won 4-0 , and to cap off the day , Wednesday lost 3-2 at Newport , quite a sensation then as both Sheffield clubs were in the top flight , & Newport from league div 4 as were Lincoln.

Burnley, 3rd round 1993.Not my first and certainly not the best, but it did teach me never to leave a game early. Two nowt down so in a stroppy, 'take me ball home' way I left and walked out at 80 minutes.
It was only as I was muttering and chuntering my way up John Street that Hodges made it 2-1.
My daft twatness complete as Beesley makes it 2-2 at the death.
Never left early since, cos you just don't know what'll happen.

West Ham away I think 1967 ? Won 2-0 Phil cliff scored both goals . Had a good night in London with some Liverpool fans

First for me being an old git , was 1964 away v Lincoln City in the third round. We played in Tangerine shirts & White shorts ( the only other time I can recall playing in this strip was at Newcastle a couple of years earlier) , we won 4-0 , and to cap off the day , Wednesday lost 3-2 at Newport , quite a sensation then as both Sheffield clubs were in the top flight , & Newport from league div 4 as were Lincoln.
I went to same game with my dad , I think mick Jones scored with a header and knocked himself out ?

My first was the 0-0 at home to Newcastle in the 1976/77 season, FA Cup 3rd Round. Later than I thought but hardly surprising when you remember our blink-and-you-missed-them Cup runs of the 1970s. The only thing I can remember about it is Chico Hamilton hitting the bar.

As for my favourite, that's a tricky one but probably the Coventry quarter final replay of 1998.
Alan Woodward got an injury in that game.
Replay got postponed at least three times.

Yes the Ipswich game I think we were 3.0 up and they pulled it back to 3.3. At the time we were preoccupied with the League Cup and the FA Cup run to the semis almost sneaked under the radar. Even beating L**ds in the quarters was somewhat low-key. Any other season the Ipswich game would have been game of the season.

Such a crazy game.

Brown scored the third goal in the 64th minute, a fantastic volley that almost broke the net.

By the 70th minute, it was 3-3, and we very nearly conceded a fourth as De Vogt let a backpass over his head and just stopped it going in.

Peschisolido bailed us out with a last minute winner. Warnock looked visibly annoyed that we'd won when interviewed on TV that night.

That season we reached the semi finals of both cups without playing an away tie. We were drawn at home 9 times, and of course we came out of the semi final hat first and were drawn at home first in the League Cup semi final too. I expect that's a record for a single season.

Such a crazy game.

Brown scored the third goal in the 64th minute, a fantastic volley that almost broke the net.

By the 70th minute, it was 3-3, and we very nearly conceded a fourth as De Vogt let a backpass over his head and just stopped it going in.

Peschisolido bailed us out with a last minute winner. Warnock looked visibly annoyed that we'd won when interviewed on TV that night.

That season we reached the semi finals of both cups without playing an away tie. We were drawn at home 9 times, and of course we came out of the semi final hat first and were drawn at home first in the League Cup semi final too. I expect that's a record for a single season.
Michael Brown's 26th birthday.
What a goal 8 days after his belter v Wednesday.

Blackpool at home 1968. Won 2-1.

The one that sticks in my mind is the 1-0 defeat at Elland Road in the quater final, the season we were relegated, may be the same season as above ( not looked it up). Addison had the ball over the line but goal wasn't given.

Also bought ticket for Mansfield away sometime late 1960's but my mother wouldn't let me go. My mother was way too powerful.

Deano on fire at replay in our 4-1 win. Lots of blades only got in at half time due to traffic. I’d been on business in Carlisle that day and went straight down m6 to game and missed nowt 😁

I arrived on Calvert's coach from the Railway just as Deano had equalised. Just enough time to get a pie, and as I walked into the stand, he got his second.

However the biggest event of that night was about 10 minutes into the journey home. Just onto the M65 then a bang, a cloud of white smoke, and our coach decided it was going to die on us. We ended up waiting for a replacement to reach us and got home at about ten to 3.

Most memorable cup tie - for the wrong reasons - was in the 60s against Wednesday (as they were known then). It was the biggest crowd I’ve been in there 50+K. A rickety scaffolding stand was erected across the cricket pitch. The whole thing was an H&S nightmare -as was the result 0-2.
Just to add to other replies, I attach some grainy photos of the temporarary stand and some of Springett's heroics which won the game for them. One I can't get to photograph the right way - I am the wrong generation to get to grips with this new-fangled technology! My scrapbook also has a report by Don Hardisty (Mail), saying that he disliked Wednesday's crude football, and preferred watching United, even if they are not as successful. Wednesday were dirty that day...
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

0-0 draw Stoke City, missed the 5-1 thumping of the mighty Boston Utd in the 2nd round reply due to a school play.

Most memorable: (tin hat time) 93 semi, I know the result was shit; but the weekend we had in Stevenage (of all places) was brilliant 10 Blades in a B&B without a pig in sight!

Remember the replay to the Stoke game, king pig Curran's finest (only) hour in a United shirt. We lost 2-3 (Stoke were near the top of the old, old Division 1) but we were 2-1 up at half-time (the players went off celebrating as though they'd won already), as much as I hate to admit it Curran was on fire that night, second half I seem to remember him being one-on-one with the keeper then blazing the ball over the bar. For years Yorkshire tv had shown Curran in the opening credits of the highlights programme, when he was at the pigs, being one-on-one with the keeper rounding him then running the ball into an empty net, I was expecting something similar at Stoke that night. That game still notwithstanding Curran is still c u next Tuesday.

Memorable games then...name the player who was a late FA cup hero for us in 2012 13 and in 2013 14?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom