Your first Blades FA Cup tie you went to & your most memorable one

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

First for me was Burnley in 1993 – the late comeback to draw 2-2. The game had everything: a long-ranger from popular ex-Blade Adrian Heath, a nightmare error by Alan Kelly, a super strike from Hodges, two Adrians red-carded for fighting (Littlejohn, and unpopular ex-Blade villain Heath), and a late Beesley equaliser

Most memorable – sadly probably the 1st Arsenal away game in 1999.

Deano on fire at replay in our 4-1 win. Lots of blades only got in at half time due to traffic. I’d been on business in Carlisle that day and went straight down m6 to game and missed nowt 😁

Probably went to more but earliest one that stands out in my memory is West ham at lane 2005, won on penalties at bramall lane end I think. Best was Charlton quarter final easily.

they weren’t non league. They were in division 3 North. They got voted out of the league in 1951.
Thanks for putting me right. I recall that my dad bought me a red and white rosette for that Cup match. I thought it brought the Blades good luck until a run of bad results proved otherwise. I chucked it on the fire at the end of the season.

January 1965. Aston Villa at home. Lost 2-0.

I think there was a minutes silence before kick off for the death of Winston Churchill.

Keith Kettleborough got sent off, that was the correct terminology in those days, no 'red carded'. It must have been bad because in those days you could commit murder on the pitch and get away with a telling off.

Couple of others that haven’t been mentioned that that I enjoyed was the 1-0 win over Arsenal in 95 when Carl Veart scored , that night Gordon Cowans ran the show in the middle of the park ,wish he was playing in our team now absolutely class midfielder.
Another was the 3-2 loss at Stoke when when they were in the top flight & we were in the third . We’d drew 0-0 and played out of skins in the replay in front of 5000 travelling Blades on a Tuesday night .
My first away game FA cup tie was at Altrincham in 81 ... I’ll put that one in Room 101 .

My 1st FA cup tie was also the 1977-78 season 5-0 home defeat to Arsenal.
I was sat in the South stand and I think Malcolm MacDonald aka Super Mac scored an hatrick.

Either the week before or the week after we were at home promotion chasing Bolton in the league.
I was in the South stand for that game too....and I think that was also a 5-0 (or maybe 5-1) home defeat.

We had two big over 30,000 crowds in quick succession and were thrashed at home in both....typical United.

Last edited:
I doubt that it was my first , but my earliest recollection of one was a 4-2 win against West Ham on 6th Feb. 1952 .

The reason I remember the exact date is because it was the day King George VI died and there was some doubt as to whether the match would go ahead . Anyway , it did and what a cracker it was .

The Blades put on a scintillating performance orchestrated by Sir James Hagan , aided and abetted by the two wingers Ringstead and Hawksworth who between them ran their defence ragged and we could easily have had 6 .

My most memorable , as for many Blades of my generation has to be the wonderful 3-1 victory away at Newcastle in 1961 , where it's been estimated there were around 18,000 Blades present who created an atmosphere you had to experience to believe .

0-3 at home to Swansea in Jan 2007. 15,000 in, around 6,000 from Swansea. They had a proper day out and took the piss out of our B-team.

I went to that match....in all my decades watching us I don‘t think I’ve ever seen us outclassed on the field and off the field so much.
Swansea were playing in all white and on the day played like Real Madrid...altho it was against our reserves.
Also Swansea were a league 1 side at the time....so as we were a PL side it was their fans big day out.
They treat it like a cup final and were really loud from start to finish....our fans didn’t seem bothered and were almost silent from start to finish.
It was a shocking performance...a total non event by us....and my memory was Warnock smiling after the match basically saying “we can concentrate on the PL now”.
After being knocked out by lower league opposition Warnock basically said that season we had no interest in the FA cup.
Warnock did loads of great things for SU....but whenever we lost or were shockingly bad...Warnock ALWAYS had an excuse.

Last edited:

Portsmouth away in January 1971. Went on the train special direct from Sheffield to Fratton. Before the match my dad pointed out Mike Trebilcock to me and explained that he scored twice for Everton in their 3-2 win against Wendy in the 1966 FA Cup final which meant that he is a "hero" to Blades fans. Mike scored Portsmouth's 2nd goal in our 2-0 defeat. I was in tears after the match and my dad tried to explain to me that promotion to the 1st division was more important than a good cup run and he thought that being knocked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round would increase our promotion chances. He was right. On arriving back in Midland station, news filtered out that 66 fans had died in the Rangers v Celtic match.
I was at that one. If memory serves me well we scored 5 against them previous 3 games.

My first FA Cup match was away at Peterborough FA Cup 4th round in January 1962.
Brilliant all day out. Thurcroft to Peterborough on a supporters coach.
After the match all the dad's dumped the kids in the local cinema while they went on a massive pub crawl until 11pm.
Got home in the early hours. Great memories.

Think that was my first FA Cup game too - sat in the upper tier watching Malcolm McDonald tear us a new arsehole. Just after that, i went to the 3-2 Sunderland victory where Anderson (?) scored for us - didn't it come 2nd in goal of the season?
That Sunderland match was around the following September.
Sabella starred.

Can not remember myfirst Cup game attended, but for me most memorable are Covo at home, Holdsworth equaliser I think it front of the kop with a scissor kick strike, then the pn shoot out, semi v the arse wipes at OT, being right behind the goal to see Seamans save from pesci's header...superb....manure pile at home....Gyln Hodges.....etc....

First for me was Burnley in 1993 – the late comeback to draw 2-2. The game had everything: a long-ranger from popular ex-Blade Adrian Heath, a nightmare error by Alan Kelly, a super strike from Hodges, two Adrians red-carded for fighting (Littlejohn, and unpopular ex-Blade villain Heath), and a late Beesley equaliser

Probably one of my first too. Pitch like an ice-rink - no chance it gets played these days.

That Sunderland match was around the following September.
Sabella starred.

I went to that game (3-2 win) too. Sunderland played in their navy blue with red trim kit.
It was on the Match of the Day....so suspect there’s a video of the game on YouTube.

One that sticks out for me was the third round loss against Colchester in the 2005-06 season. There was a minor altercation in front of me after someone sat in the wrong seat (given that the South Stand has at best half full seemed ridiculous). I think i'm correct in saying that Kabba scored what turned out to be his last goal for us (this was shortly after he "rubbed his tummy" running past Warnock having scored the equaliser at Elland Road). The game also featured an appearance by Hao Haidong, accompanied with shouts of "i'll have a number 17 with fried rice" from a bloke sat a couple of rows behind me.

Heath only began playing for United around 1995 surely?

As it’s FA Cup weekend this discussion came up in the pub last night

My first wasn’t exactly a good memory .. we lost at home to Arsenal 5-0 in the third round of the 77/78 season , think Cec Coldwell ( top bloke ) had been caretaker manager and we’d been on a decent run but came to a juddering halt that day , seem to recall we had another couple of heavy defeats after in league too

As for good memories I think I’ve been blessed as a Blade with quite a few successful cup runs in my time supporting the lads . Victories over Leeds ( twice that season inc league cup ) , Man Utd , Blackburn & Coventry , Aston Villa , QPR & the Hull SF .. but the one for me that ultimately ended up in a narrow defeat was the 1-0 loss to Arsenal at Old Trafford. For once as a team at the time we actually turned up for a big event and gave the best team in the country a hell of a game and except for one famous save who knows what could have been the outcome

UTB
I think it was actually the League Cup, but nonetheless it was sensational. 0 - 1 down to Weeds heading into injury time, up steps Jags to bang one in from ridiculous range. Just as I've prepared myself for the 90 minutes to end as a draw, The Chief puts his massive arse to great use to send Robinson the wrong way, clearing the way for Nuddy to slot home... Absolute pandemonium ensues :eek::D

As it’s FA Cup weekend this discussion came up in the pub last night

My first wasn’t exactly a good memory .. we lost at home to Arsenal 5-0 in the third round of the 77/78 season , think Cec Coldwell ( top bloke ) had been caretaker manager and we’d been on a decent run but came to a juddering halt that day , seem to recall we had another couple of heavy defeats after in league too

As for good memories I think I’ve been blessed as a Blade with quite a few successful cup runs in my time supporting the lads . Victories over Leeds ( twice that season inc league cup ) , Man Utd , Blackburn & Coventry , Aston Villa , QPR & the Hull SF .. but the one for me that ultimately ended up in a narrow defeat was the 1-0 loss to Arsenal at Old Trafford. For once as a team at the time we actually turned up for a big event and gave the best team in the country a hell of a game and except for one famous save who knows what could have been the outcome

UTB

1972-73. Watford 0 Sheffield United 1
Jan 1973. Third round.

Last edited:
I think it was actually the League Cup, but nonetheless it was sensational. 0 - 1 down to Weeds heading into injury time, up steps Jags to bang one in from ridiculous range. Just as I've prepared myself for the 90 minutes to end as a draw, The Chief puts his massive arse to great use to send Robinson the wrong way, clearing the way for Nuddy to slot home... Absolute pandemonium ensues :eek::D
Then in March, the Kabba goal sunk Leeds again in FA cup.

Back
Top Bottom