Your first Blades FA Cup tie you went to & your most memorable one

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

im not sure if its the 1st one. but sheff utd v Ipswich 5-3 when ndlovu got a hat trick in either 01/02 or 02/03. might be that was a cracking game

memorable weirdly have a few that mention arsenal. like the 5th rd game at highbury. when that last min penalty in i remember being few rows from front behind the goal & in jubilation hugging this man to side of me. never seen him before or since. i hope hes well

but the most memorable was arsenal fa cup 2003. mainly not for the result but it was the 1st game id ever gone to that wasnt at the lane & as a 12yr old going on a adventure with your dad to massive stadium. loved that day

It wasn't the 5th round game that you refer to, but I have been hugged quite a lot at games, especially this season. There's obviously something warm and welcoming about me, which makes complete strangers want to give me bear hugs with beery breath and shake me up and down like a bloody salt pot. I wouldn't mind so much, but these same folks don't even bother to say "hello" or pass the time of day with you prior to that. They stand there totally ignorant, eating smelly meat pies with brown sauce on top - then the Blades score a goal and all of a sudden I'm their best mate! :oops:

To be honest, I don't enjoy it! It reminds me of a time when I was a kid and I was paddling in the river and somebody's bloody big black labrador came up behind me, got on two legs and started thrusting at me, making me fall over into the river. The bloke called it off, but it was too late by then, I was soaked through. I didn't realise what the dog was trying to do to me back then - I just knew it was very unpleasant and quite scary. I think football fans who do this to strangers are equally unpleasant and scary. It's obviously a deep-seated phobia for me!

I remember us playing Newcastle when they had mirandinha ,can't remember much about the game except that it was a decent crowd and wanted us to have more nights like that

The day after the Sheffield Hurricane. One of our floodlight pylons crashed onto the football pitch but the wreckage was cleared up in time for the match. Nowadays H & S wouldnt have allowed the match to go ahead.

View attachment 67937
The Norwich fans saw the devastation on Shoreham St and contributed to the Lord Mayors fund for the victims. I wonder if away fans would do that today?

Most memorable cup tie - for the wrong reasons - was in the 60s against Wednesday (as they were known then). It was the biggest crowd I’ve been in there 50+K. A rickety scaffolding stand was erected across the cricket pitch. The whole thing was an H&S nightmare -as was the result 0-2.

Most memorable cup tie - for the wrong reasons - was in the 60s against Wednesday (as they were known then). It was the biggest crowd I’ve been in there 50+K. A rickety scaffolding stand was erected across the cricket pitch. The whole thing was an H&S nightmare -as was the result 0-2.

Derek Wilkinson brace I reckon.

Can still see Peter Swan's celebration at the end. He whooped it all the way across the pitch, big lad and nearly took his arms off on the tunnel netting as he bounded off.

Match fixer. Can still see the Sunday Paper headlines. News of the World I think. What a morning for Blades at Park Hill Flats Football Academy!!

Can still see Peter Swan's celebration at the end. He whooped it all the way across the pitch, big lad and nearly took his arms off on the tunnel netting as he bounded off.

Match fixer. Can still see the Sunday Paper headlines. News of the World I think. What a morning for Blades at Park Hill Flats Football Academy!!
Post by HodgysBrokenThumb

Post by HodgysBrokenThumb

As a lad I used to stand the exact same place on the other side of the goal right behind seated photographers and always celebrated goals by standing on the wall holding the railings swinging my United scarf above my head.

For the big games my mother and I went up Kop corner next to the John Street Stand.

January 1965. Aston Villa at home. Lost 2-0.

I think there was a minutes silence before kick off for the death of Winston Churchill.

Keith Kettleborough got sent off, that was the correct terminology in those days, no 'red carded'. It must have been bad because in those days you could commit murder on the pitch and get away with a telling off.
This was also my first match and therefore first FA Cup match, don't remember anything other than the result.

I remember him waving his arms about “conducting” the Wednesday fans before the kick off. There were a lot of them there because as an all ticket cup-tie both clubs got an equal share.
The only thing I remember after the match was a terrible crush to get out - no aggro though. And a miserable bus ride home in a bus full of happy Wednesdayites ☹️

I remember us playing Newcastle when they had mirandinha ,can't remember much about the game except that it was a decent crowd and wanted us to have more nights like that
Think that was the league cup. Remember the kop chanting for deano and mirandinha waving to the crowd thinking it was for him.

My first was the 0-0 at home to Newcastle in the 1976/77 season, FA Cup 3rd Round. Later than I thought but hardly surprising when you remember our blink-and-you-missed-them Cup runs of the 1970s. The only thing I can remember about it is Chico Hamilton hitting the bar.

As for my favourite, that's a tricky one but probably the Coventry quarter final replay of 1998.

A third round game at the Valley sometime in the 60s. We won 1-0.

The next round, we were at Craven Cottage and drew 1-1. I think Clarke scored for them.

The reply at the Lane was postponed, three times I think, which obviously we won.

The fifth round was at Stamford Bridge. We lost 2-0 and that was being very generous as we just didn't seem to turn up at all. Shame, as I remember seeing a black Morris Minor parked on a side street near the ground with a red and white shirt pasted to the boot saying, "I'd put my shirt on United"!

I went to all three games in London and in those days you could park almost anywhere. Those were the days.

The next round, we were at Craven Cottage and drew 1-1. I think Clarke scored for them.

The reply at the Lane was postponed, three times I think, which obviously we won.

The fifth round was at Stamford Bridge. We lost 2-0 and that was being very generous as we just didn't seem to turn up at all. Shame, as I remember seeing a black Morris Minor parked on a side street near the ground with a red and white shirt pasted to the boot saying, "I'd put my shirt on United"!

I went to all three games in London and in those days you could park almost anywhere. Those were the days.

Somewhere in my collection I've a programme from that twice postponed Fulham match.

They must have run the printing press to 'score out' the original dates of the tie and print the new date. Very resourceful in those days.

First I can recall was probably Derby at home in the mid 80s. They brought around 10,000 fans and won 1-0. Recall John Burridge being in goal.

My most memorable was probably Coventry in 98. A great night. The Charlton game recently was a good day and the last game one of my Uncles went to before he died.

Seen 4 FA Cup semi final defeats at Wembley x 2 and Old Trafford x 2 (Incidentally I have still never seen us score a goal in Manchester- seen us in semis and also numerous defeats (or 0-0s at City) and Man United. A record I hope to break in a few months!)

The semis were memorable but we lost them all in mixed circumstances. Pigs we were battered. Lacklustre v Newcastle and then unfortunate v Arsenal and Hull.

I also have good memories of going to Barnsley for a 2nd replay in 1990 and standing on the terrace. The previous game had been postponed due to snow. We won 1-0 with a Tony Agana penalty...I can't recall him taking another penalty in his time with the Blades.

The FA Cup was superb in the late 80s and 90s but then it lost its glamour. Even the defeat to Arsenal I got the impression Wenger was not that arsed (excuse the pun). The Hull game and the cup run apart that season; it's really not is what it was.

We would have to get to the QFs (Only 2 more wins) before I would seem really interested.

My early memories of the Cup were with my Dad who happened to be a complete jinx when the Blades were playing. At least I was convinced myself of that because we didn't win any ties I watched with him. Looking back I think he took me to my first FA Cup game against Swansea Town in 1964. They were lower league and we were expected to win. We drew at Home and lost the replay 4-0.

1968 my first away FA Cup tie and it was the heady heights of the quarter finals. Weeds away and thousands of Blades were on the motorway we went on the SUT. Big cheer goes up and the neighbours red and white estate car with a massive rosette on the back goes past. Old man says "bloody show offs". Little did I know four years later I would start dating the drivers niece and eventually end up marrying her. Lost 1-0 and Sprake did a swallow dive to pull a shot from behind the goal line.

1969 - Mansfield away my Dads last away game as his leg problems were getting too much for him. Saw mates from school and Dad told me to go with them while he had a pint. I went to the games for the next 4/5 years with these lads thereafter. We walked to the ground and heard a roar from under a bridge expecting Mansfield fans to appear but it was Eskimo and his mob and we marched up to the ground chanting thinking this was much better than standing with Dad on the sidelines. Noticed at the ground around 30 Blades stood outside who were dressed smartly with matching haircuts and long blue/black coats. Within a few years I became one of them wearing the same skinhead apparell. Met up with Dad inside ground and we went 1-0 up against the lower division team. We scored when he went for a piss. When he came back Mansfield scored twice and I spent the rest of the game pleading with him to go for a piss again. He told me not to be so bloody stupid. Blades were going ballistic at the final whistle as we'd lost to little old Mansfield. It was at this point that years of stupid superstitions followed whereby I avoided standing with relatives at games. :D

My early memories of the Cup were with my Dad who happened to be a complete jinx when the Blades were playing. At least I was convinced myself of that because we didn't win any ties I watched with him. Looking back I think he took me to my first FA Cup game against Swansea Town in 1964. They were lower league and we were expected to win. We drew at Home and lost the replay 4-0.

1578265279325.png

My first was the 0-0 draw v Stoke in Jan 1983. Don't remember anything about the game but it was the first time I'd ever seen the away end completely full.

Yeh think they brought about 6-7k that day , we took a very noisy 5k to there’s for the replay , lost 3-2 but played out of our skins ⚔️

That's mine too mate. Most memorable was 2 or 3 attempts to go to the replay at Barnsley for the right to play Manure I think. Fog or snow was reason for first postponement. High winds second time.i think.. bad memory for the most memorable lol
Wasn’t Colin hill playing for Colchester that day?

My first ever United FA cup tie, home to Newcastle in 1977, don't remember much about the match other than it finished 1-1, which I suppose wasn't a bad result against a top tier team, although I reckon we lost the replay 1-3. I have at the back of my mind that Paul Garner scored in one of the games???

Most memorable, could pick quite a few from any of the runs to the semi-finals in recent years (ie last 25+ years), Man U and Blackburn in 93, Coventry in '98, Leeds in '03 or Villa, Fulham, Forest (still reckon that half time cup draw inspired everybody that day) and Charlton in 2014.

First FA Cup game Jan 1971 Portsmouth (A). Lost 2-0 and considering we were used to putting 5 past Portsmouth was pretty cheesed off. In actual fact not very lucky at FA Cup games. Think I've seen them lose every time except the once against Burscough!

Day sadly remembered for the Ibrox disaster.

1968 my first away FA Cup tie and it was the heady heights of the quarter finals. Weeds away and thousands of Blades were on the motorway we went on the SUT. Big cheer goes up and the neighbours red and white estate car with a massive rosette on the back goes past. Old man says "bloody show offs". Little did I know four years later I would start dating the drivers niece and eventually end up marrying her. Lost 1-0 and Sprake did a swallow dive to pull a shot from behind the goal line.

1969 - Mansfield away my Dads last away game as his leg problems were getting too much for him. Saw mates from school and Dad told me to go with them while he had a pint. I went to the games for the next 4/5 years with these lads thereafter. We walked to the ground and heard a roar from under a bridge expecting Mansfield fans to appear but it was Eskimo and his mob and we marched up to the ground chanting thinking this was much better than standing with Dad on the sidelines. Noticed at the ground around 30 Blades stood outside who were dressed smartly with matching haircuts and long blue/black coats. Within a few years I became one of them wearing the same skinhead apparell. Met up with Dad inside ground and we went 1-0 up against the lower division team. We scored when he went for a piss. When he came back Mansfield scored twice and I spent the rest of the game pleading with him to go for a piss again. He told me not to be so bloody stupid. Blades were going ballistic at the final whistle as we'd lost to little old Mansfield. It was at this point that years of stupid superstitions followed whereby I avoided standing with relatives at games. :D

I think it was 21 years or something stupid that we never got past the 4th round. Bassett ended the away replay jinx at Brighton (referred to by CW in the podcast one of our own) and took us to 5th round when we lost at Norwich.

Only recently has it gone tits up again which is my only blot with the otherwise excellent CWAK partnership.

Back
Top Bottom